3D TV (3 Dimensional Television) Page 8

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• DaM 24 Aug 2011 13:50:55 13,000 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We got one of these a few months a go, I really like it. 3D mainly used by the kids for films. After laughing at my daughter's request for CBeebies in 3D, my 7 yr old found the button to turn 2D to 3D. It's passable!

2D pic really good.
  • Psychotext 24 Aug 2011 14:29:19 54,015 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    The tech is fine; unless you're waiting for glasses free. There's not a lot they can do with the glasses - it works - i'm not sure what waiting will accomplish.
    "Fine" is up for debate. There's still a lot of problems with glasses tech that they need to work out (not even giving thought to glasses free). However, as most people thought the early plasma / LCD HDTVs were also "fine" then I take your point. :)
  • Scurrminator 24 Aug 2011 14:51:03 8,405 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes but tech now is always going to be inferior to six months down the line. You'd always be waiting; nothing is perfect ;-)

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 24 Aug 2011 14:58:22 10,854 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The active shutter glasses now offer the cleanest 3D currently available, AFAIK. Tangled on Bluray 3D looked better than cinema 3D.
  • Chopsen 24 Aug 2011 15:09:56 15,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, the active shutter ones work perfectly - the only problem people get with them iirc is the whole convergence/focus issue, which is never going to go away while you're still using glasses to extract a 3D image from a flat screen. Personally this issue doesn't affect me I'm not bothered.

Sure the picture's darker, TVs these days have a brightness setting! Whatever will they think of next!?
  • Fake_Blood 24 Aug 2011 15:12:04 4,175 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Glasses free 3D still has a long way to go, and even if it works it will have 'zones' of 3D like the 3DS. having to sit perfectly still bothers me more then having to wear silly glasses.
    That said, I own a pana VT20, and honestly, I wouldn't recommend buying one just yet.
    3D Blurays are totally awesome, stuff like Avatar, jackass 3D, the manufacturer demo discs.

I'm mainly disapointed in the 3D for games.
    I played Black Opps, GT5 and Killzone 3 in 3D, and it just didn't amaze me at all.
    It didn't really add anything, the resolution is quite low, I donnow, I guess I had high expectation for games.

What I still have to try is high res PC games in 3D.
    The problem is, even though my card supports the function, nVidia is asking fucking $39,99 to enable 3Dtv Play, which imo is a dick move on their part.

So yeah, wait a bit except if you really need a new tv now, you're not missing that much.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 24 Aug 2011 15:19:43 10,854 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The two games I've most enjoyed playing in 3D have been Motorstorm: Apocalypse and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

Other than that, it's a bit of a "meh" bunch, like you say.
  • Fake_Blood 24 Aug 2011 15:24:15 4,175 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I'll have to try those then.
    The problem is that current consoles simply aren't powerfull enough, and we don't have any games yet that are made with 3D in mind.
    Uncharted 3 is said to be stunning in 3D though.
  • Chopsen 24 Aug 2011 15:28:20 15,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think it's anything to with it being powerful enough. 3D is just gimmicky and doesn't really add anything.

Nothing wrong with gimmicks, but I don't think anybody has done anything really creative in games with 3D displays that enhances the game.
  • Deleted user 24 August 2011 15:29:29
    I want 3D, just not a TV. The only way I'll do it is when home 3D projectors get low enough in price for me to replace my current PJ
  • Deleted user 24 August 2011 15:34:23
    Chopsen wrote:Nothing wrong with gimmicks, but I don't think anybody has done anything really creative in games with 3D displays that enhances the game.

It's because all 3D games have to be playable in 2D too. The first "pushing the boundaries"/"doing something genuinely new" 3D game will be one that is only possible because of 3D.
  • KayJay 24 Aug 2011 18:13:49 5,287 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do I need to get a 1.4 HDMI Cable if I want to view 3D stuff? :/
  • Gearskin 24 Aug 2011 18:18:58 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone rocking the LG passive 3D TVs?
  • Zomoniac 24 Aug 2011 18:39:31 7,827 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    I don't think anybody has done anything really creative in games with 3D displays that enhances the game.
    They have. It's a PSN game called Tumble. With 3D and a Move it's astonishing, the perfect demo for both technologies.
  • Scurrminator 24 Aug 2011 19:51:57 8,405 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kj66246 wrote:

NO!
    And don't believe any sales chump that tells you otherwise.
    A 1.99 cable from ebuyer/Amazon will work just fine.

• Scurrminator 24 Aug 2011 19:52:43 8,405 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    I want 3D, just not a TV. The only way I'll do it is when home 3D projectors get low enough in price for me to replace my current PJ

3D Projectors are pretty cheap, certainly around the same price as their TV counterparts. Not sure how they work re:glasses etc.

• Deleted user 24 August 2011 20:39:45
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Rhythm wrote:

3D Projectors are pretty cheap, certainly around the same price as their TV counterparts. Not sure how they work re:glasses etc.

In fairness I know that getting a 720p Optoma pj and the accompanying 3D convertor box thing would only run about 650 (with glasses costing ~80 per extra pair) and they're not supposed to be too bad but I'd rather have 1080p and an all-in-one box. Most 3d home pj stuff is geared around nvidia 3d, not HDMI1.4a BluRay stuff and it's all a bit pricier than I'd like at the moment
  • KayJay 24 Aug 2011 21:51:19 5,287 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    kj66246 wrote:

NO!

Little fucker. I specifaccly asked him about the HDMI cables and he said i would need a 1.4 one for the 3D, he honestly spent most of his time pushing a "Moster Cable" (yeah he went there, i always thought that was a myth) :)
    Not only a Moster HDMI, but one of the Monster Power Surge things, I told him I already had a belkin one but he wouldn't let it go... :)

Anyhow, I popped into Currys on the way home from work to check out the Samsung 51" 6900, they didn't have any so was looking at the 5500 (? I think).

I had only read up about the 6900 so didn't know much about it, although it ticked all the boxes I had a feeling it may have been one generation out of date, the bezel wasn't that pretty and it didn't have "Smart TV"... I held out.

God dam it those 7000 & 8000 LED's are beautiful...
  • Chopsen 24 Aug 2011 22:22:14 15,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kj66246 wrote:
    Scurrminator wrote:
    kj66246 wrote:

NO!

Little fucker.

Actually....I think you do need a hdmi for a certain spec. Not sure if it's 1.4 though. When I got my 3D telly, I found certain combinations of HDMI cables would not work to allow 3D. 2D is fine regarless. This isn't a "expensive cable" issue btw, as I've never paid more than a few quid for a HDMI cable. So you do need an adequately specified cable, but not an expensive one.

Zomoniac wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:
    I don't think anybody has done anything really creative in games with 3D displays that enhances the game.

They have. It's a PSN game called Tumble. With 3D and a Move it's astonishing, the perfect demo for both technologies.

You git. Now I've got to buy Move as well. >:/
  • ecureuil 24 Aug 2011 22:58:34 76,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So for TV's that are above 42 inches, how close can I be before I notice image degradation? And does the 3D suffer if I sit closer?

The TV would be going in a pretty small room, and I'm happy to have a massive TV taking up more space than most people would be comfortable with, but I'm going to be sitting pretty close to it (about 6-7ft away). I already have a 40" Samsung LCD, and that's pretty great from this distance, my only real worry with getting a larger TV is if I get anything bigger, the image quality will suffer.
  • gamingdave 24 Aug 2011 23:10:16 4,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WOW

So tempted to upgrade my AE4000 for one of these, but not sure I can justify the cost at the moment. But if its big screen 3D your after, then there really seems no way to beat this.

"Quite honestly, this 3D experience on a ten-foot wide screen right in my own home was, for me, more visually engaging than the viewing of Avatar in a 3D IMAX theater."
  • Scurrminator 25 Aug 2011 00:10:23 8,405 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You won't get any degradation.
    In fact the bigger the screen the better for 3D stuff, the more it fills your view the better the effect.
    The only thing the HDMI cable needs to have is HDMI with Ethernet. The cables are about 2 online; don't fall for any sales patter bullshit!
    The Samsung LED 7000 and 8000 do look nice but 3D on LED TVs is far inferior to plasmas.
    The D5100 is okay; the D6900 is a far better TV. I'm pretty sure that the D6900 is a web exclusive in the UK so you need to take a print off from the dixons or comet site (or whatever shop youre going to use) and then they'll order it for you. That's what comet did for me and sent it to my house (I was returning a different faulty set).

• Scurrminator 25 Aug 2011 00:11:27 8,405 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ps my tv is 51 inches and I sit less than two metres away.
    It's great

• ecureuil 25 Aug 2011 22:50:59 76,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great. :) I'm leaning towards the Samsung PS51D6900, is that the one you have? (since you recommended it :p )

Also I'll be wanting to offload the TV I have now as a way of part-financing my new TV, any idea of the best way to do this? It's only a couple of years old and in great nick, still sells for 600+ from what I can tell. How much am I likely to get for it?
  • silentbob 25 Aug 2011 22:56:46 28,958 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    WOW

So tempted to upgrade my AE4000 for one of these, but not sure I can justify the cost at the moment. But if its big screen 3D your after, then there really seems no way to beat this.

"Quite honestly, this 3D experience on a ten-foot wide screen right in my own home was, for me, more visually engaging than the viewing of Avatar in a 3D IMAX theater."
    Cocks! Panasonic tempting me back for a 3rd time.

One small hurdle.

I need a bigger house this time.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Sid-Nice 25 Aug 2011 23:10:20 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Samsung PS51D8000 3D Plasma is the best Samsung plasma 3D TV. Check out the review at www.hdtvtest.co.uk.

NNID Sid-Nice

• ecureuil 25 Aug 2011 23:11:11 76,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    1500 though. :(
  • Sid-Nice 25 Aug 2011 23:13:53 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    1500 though. :(
    I know and I have my eye on the 64" version which is an extra grand.

NNID Sid-Nice

• mattigan 26 Aug 2011 14:27:02 1,429 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    Anyone rocking the LG passive 3D TVs?

Me, it's good.

42 inch 550t, 899 from John Lewis (free 5 yr guarantee), and just got 140 back as I saw it on sale online in Sheffield cheaper and did a price match :)

Have aquired some 3D content (SBS MKVs) which it plays flawlessly via directly connected USB HDD, doesn't do DTS though so have to convert to AC3 using free tools.

An excellent TV IMHO, also got the magic remote (Wii type effort) which is also awesome!
  • Scurrminator 26 Aug 2011 14:55:58 8,405 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do prefer the LG tech in principle, but it's not full HD in 3D.

• Page

of 10 First / Last