• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous
  • Rauha 29 Jun 2010 13:25:02 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nice little announcement:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=253756

"We're showing Metro 2033 in 3D right now, which Nvidia is showing as one of their key demo products," he said.

"We're going to be doing a 3D version of that on Metro 2034 - the sequel. And there will be some engineering costs there, but that's in our lowest cost centre in the world. Those games are unbelievably reasonable, they're built in Kiev."

No platforms have been announced.
  • King_Edward 29 Jun 2010 13:28:26 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Quality title.
  • GeeMacca 29 Jun 2010 13:28:50 2,794 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great stuff, just need to finish off the first!
  • the_dudefather 29 Jun 2010 13:39:00 9,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    203D presumably

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• heavy_salad 29 Jun 2010 15:51:24 723 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anywhere the pick up the Metro 1 through to 2032? Never got around to playing those.
  • Deleted user 29 June 2010 15:54:47
    So this is a TWIMTBP title again. Pass.
  • Pinky_Floyd 29 Jun 2010 16:17:20 7,907 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ran lovely on my ATI cards.
  • drhcnip 29 Jun 2010 16:31:07 2,499 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ah, brilliant, loved the first
  • Rauha 14 Jan 2011 18:35:05 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Will be at E3:

THQ's Bilson: Metro 2033 'wasn't properly nurtured,' sequel to address issues
    by Ben Gilbert on Jan 14th 2011 12:02PM

Last March, Metro 2033 snuck up on our reviewer radar and went on to earn respectable Metacritic scores of 77 on Xbox 360 and 81 on PC among critics at large. Though THQ CEO Brian Farrell characterized the title as "very profitable" for the publisher, it wasn't exactly burning up the sales charts. Speaking with the company's VP of Core Games, Danny Bilson, this week, we asked about Metro 2033 falling short of its potential.

"I'll give you the straight answer: It wasn't properly supported in all areas," Bilson said frankly. "It was a cool deal," he explained of the publishing agreement with developer 4A Games, "where it was inexpensive and they were doing their stuff."

"Did the game need polish in certain areas? Yes." he admitted. "So when I say it wasn't fully supported, it was product development and marketing that didn't support it the way it should've been." Bilson described Metro 2033 as "an orphan stepchild," saying that "a great marketer picked it up with four months to go and did what he could with four months to go, but it wasn't properly nurtured by marketing."

The absence of polish, Bilson assured, won't be an issue for Metro 2034, the in-development sequel. "The new one doesn't have any of those issues," Bilson said. "I green-lit the sequel before [the first] one shipped, because I know what [4A Games is] capable of -- I knew how cool it was."

Bilson added that the sequel would address "some of the gameplay issues" that were raised about the first game, while retaining "some awesome technology, great art, [the] interesting world -- all the freshness" of Metro 2033. "I would say it's gonna have some better, more familiar shooting mechanics in it," he clarified. "And I would also say it's going to have a first-class marketing campaign that kicks off at E3."

We wondered if that would include THQ getting in on the transmedia expansion of the franchise, given the publisher's proclivity for such projects. "We don't control any of it," Bilson said of the IP, explaining that the author of the books on which the games are based, Dmitry Glukhovsky, still holds the license. "I talked to him just the other day," Bilson recounted. "He's got transmedia plans of his own that are epic. He's got a series of books in Russia that support the world and different authors writing. And they've hopefully got a movie going and all that."

"I'm supporting him," Bilson assured. "It's like, 'What do you need, Dmitry, for me to help you make that happen?'" With a big smile, Bilson added, "He's really aggressive about it, so I'm not too worried."

- Joystiq
  • CosmicFuzz 14 Jan 2011 18:40:50 24,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Glad the next one is coming!

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• Rauha 14 Jan 2011 18:46:07 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I experienced far too many glitches in the 360 version tbh, and I really didn't like the shooting mechanics, didn't have the sense of impact imo. Still, 2033 was a game with huge potential, so I am really looking forward to this one.
  • Tomo 14 Jan 2011 19:16:47 13,910 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thought the first one was pretty meh tbh. Very generic besides the plot/world. Which does give me some hope for the sequel.
  • CosmicFuzz 14 Jan 2011 19:18:02 24,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Also, there was nothing wrong with the shooting mechanics, it was a few of the enemies that caused problems. I really enjoyed the deliberately slow aiming and very mechanical feel of all the weapons. The starting machine gun especially, that reload is just so satisfying...and how often can that be said of a reload animation.

Hehe I remember being genuinely wow'ed by the reload animation in Perfect Dark Zero. About the best thing about it...

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• Syrette 14 Jan 2011 19:18:09 43,477 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really enjoyed it... but it was really intense. To the point where that's actually left a sour taste in my mouth as it were.

• Vortex808 14 Jan 2011 19:28:54 7,148 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good news. The first one was great , but definitely needed some more polish. Hope this is even better than that.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2011 20:34:56
    I really hope making it available on PS3 is also high on the agenda, would've been all over Metro 2033 had it been ported (properly) to the system.

Metro 2034, Devil's Third, THQ has games I want to buy, what madness is this?!?
  • Mr-Brett 31 May 2011 16:40:13 12,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Teaser Trailer

A nice trailer, but doesn't show much, unless you're a fan of frame-by-frame analysis.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Deleted user 31 May 2011 16:49:09
    Just saw this on the front page - loved the first, hoping for big things from this sequel.
  • Mr-Brett 31 May 2011 16:55:58 12,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like the first one, it has it's issues but it is a decent game with a interesting world.

I just saw that the book of this is now available on Amazon, it looks like the English version but it's 17 at the moment, so I'll wait a bit.

• Deleted user 31 May 2011 17:02:22
    As long as there are no more amoeba bits then it's all good as far as I'm concerned :)

Lexx got a copy of the book recently - I'll ask him where he got it from (unless he posts here later on )as I'm sure he found it much cheaper than that quite recently.
  • Lexx87 31 May 2011 17:04:50 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well it was an e-book version...which I...got through means in which currency wasn't the solution to obtaining it.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 31 May 2011 17:05:50
    Ah I see. Move along. Move along.
  • Mr_Sleep 31 May 2011 17:06:31 17,067 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    As long as there are no more amoeba bits then it's all good as far as I'm concerned :)

That is probably the worst part of the game, either that one or the annoying defending of one of the stations. Otherwise everything was pretty well thought out imo.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Lexx87 31 May 2011 17:09:52 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone who is planning on the book it is worth it, it's a really good read and obviously is much richer than the game in terms of the world and story etc.

The only problem with it, is that of course all the station names are all Russian and many I can't pronounce in the slightest. So you do get a bit lost when they real off about 4 stations in a paragraph, which get made reference to later and in different parts of the book, and you've no idea where they are or how they link together. I imagine the book probably comes with a printed map or something to help with that, which I of course don't have.

Otherwise though it's a good read!

Speak the truth hussy!

• Mr-Brett 31 May 2011 17:11:34 12,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Lexx87: :0 *

I agree about the amoebas, I almost gave up on the game after the 23rd attempt to do that bit.

*regarding naughtiness.

• Mr_Sleep 31 May 2011 17:12:56 17,067 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Eventually it informed me that I could destroy the nests and with lots of ammo and grenades I managed to get it done. The trouble is that ammo is so scarce most of the time that it seems wasteful on those fucking things.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mr-Brett 31 May 2011 17:18:56 12,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've read the 2033 book, it does indeed have a map in the cover which I found quite helpful.

• agparrot 31 May 2011 17:22:52 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah the Amoebas were indubitably the toughest bit on the first game, but there was a bunch of guns n ammo on the little yellow James-bond-villain-transporter just as you reach that section.

Was pretty taxing on Hard, though, required a burst of quick, accurate running and gunning, and hoping that that old goit would shoot at least one of them to help you!

I loved the first one, in the end, I didn't really have a problem with the guns or any of that, and its set pieces were always nicely handled, like Half Life really - a linear journey that is told beautifully enough for you to accept it. Just much dirtier.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous