Samsung Galaxy S Page 2

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• crashVoodoo 5 Aug 2010 12:24:42 3,853 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rooting isn't primarily for pirating. it gives you root access to the device allowing you download some apps that wouldn't otherwise work.

for example, there is a backup app called titanium or something that requires root. there are numerous screenshot apps for taking snaps of the phones screen after giving the phone a little shake.

never really used a protector for my phone so i couldn't help you.

anybody know what size and class of memory card the galaxy comes with ?

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• coderkind 18 Sep 2010 18:23:41 982 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone experience problems with the GPS or stuttering/freezing with this phone? Seriously considering getting one, but might hold out to see how much the HTC Desire HD/Z goes for on contract first.
  • terminalterror 1 Oct 2010 13:03:09 18,937 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Samsung Continuum (just announced as part of the Galaxy S line in the US, no idea whether it'll come out over here).

The unique selling point is a second display at the bottom of the phone below the capacitive buttons, it shows you news feeds, music controls, messages etc. Seems a peculiar feature to have, but I can see how the music controls would be quite cool (letting you see what is playing and skip tracks without ever leaving the webpage you are looking at).
  • DJCopa 24 Jan 2011 15:51:42 1,055 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone applied the 'One Click Lag Fix'? I had it one my phone a while back, but forgot to remove before doing stock firmware update - bricked my phone! Got it back from Samsung all fixed, so can't complain.
    I notice there are a few updated versions on XDA - Really made a MASSIVE difference to overall speed when I had it, but not sure how the newer versions fair...........Really want to re-apply a new one if performance is as good as the previous versions, but a bit 'scared' due to my previous experience.........
  • DJCopa 16 Feb 2011 15:24:48 1,055 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If anyone is interested there is a new OneClickLagFix on the marketplace - Recreated by RyanZA who seems to do a lot for this phone. Really easy to run (one click, like it says) and I now have a phone which is SO much more responsive than before.

You do need to root phone first (this was included in the previous version but breached Googles T&C) - I can recommend Z4Root (also by RyanZA) as it is one click to root. However, you may need to grab it from his website direct or XDA forum, as Google don't like it.

Cheers.
  • L0cky 17 Feb 2011 14:19:23 1,501 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    tbh I've never heard of anyone rooting an android device for the purposes of pirating software. It's not really the point.

I have a Desire and I got a Galaxy S for my girlfriend at christmas. The most notable difference was the far superior external sound, and general movie playback.

The screen seems to have a little more contrast but isn't that much of an improvement (though I have the original AMOLED Desire).

If you're looking to get your first Android phone I'd highly recommend the Galaxy S. If you already have a Desire (or similar) then hold onto your wallet.
  • gang_of_bitches 29 Apr 2011 15:03:53 5,442 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone got a Galaxy S2 yet? My contract is up and I'm wondering whether to wait 'til June to get one when T-mobile releases it.
  • beastmaster 29 Apr 2011 15:14:49 11,183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Anyone got a Galaxy S2 yet? My contract is up and I'm wondering whether to wait 'til June to get one when T-mobile releases it.

Not yet but I used one quite extensively at The Gadget Show Live a few weeks back. It's enough to make me switch from my iPhone 3GS. And I love my Apple products!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• gang_of_bitches 29 Apr 2011 15:20:38 5,442 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks beastmaster. I had an HTC HD2 which I bought on the basis of getting a windows mobile 7 update which never transpired. Even if WM7 is great, don't feel inclined to take the risk, so I think it'll be an Android phone for me, and as far as I can tell the S2 looks like the pick of the current crop.
  • beastmaster 29 Apr 2011 15:42:54 11,183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The video playback is astonishing! It's also incredibly light and has got a decent 8MP camera. Sound quality on music playback was superb.

Not seen any reviews of it yet. Awaiting Engadget analysis...

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• grey_matters 29 Apr 2011 16:11:00 3,676 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    The video playback is astonishing! It's also incredibly light and has got a decent 8MP camera. Sound quality on music playback was superb.

Not seen any reviews of it yet. Awaiting Engadget analysis...
    Their review was posted in the Android Devices thread yesterday. They approve.
  • KingOfSpain 19 May 2011 09:11:30 5,187 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Upgraded to a Galaxy S2 yesterday! I was going to wait until September to see what Mr Jobs decides to give us but after two years with the iPhone 3GS I'm painfully bored of iOS and it's limitations.

Should be with me by Friday! :)
  • mrpon 19 May 2011 09:26:38 28,463 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Review please Kingy! Thinking of picking this up myself.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• SirScratchalot 19 May 2011 09:52:45 7,872 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ordered it but there's aloong wait for this sadly... please provide some impressions mr King so that I can live through you!
  • KingOfSpain 19 May 2011 10:04:55 5,187 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Review please Kingy! Thinking of picking this up myself.

I'll make sure I'll go into details when I get it but I have been playing with my brothers, who upgraded last week and it's an astonishing bit of tech!

The screen is simply incredible. So bright and clear. The viewing angle is amazing too. I can't believe how much better it is than the iPhone 3GS and even iPhone 4's screen!

Anyway, once you get past the screen the one big stand out feature is how bloody thin it is! How Samsung have managed to fit everything in there is amazing! It's black magic!

I've had a little play around with a few Android phones in the past, namely the Desire which my missus has, and this shits all over that in terms of speed! It's so smooth and a absolute joy use! I've also had a little play around with the camera and that is also very impressive, especially the video recording (for a phone anyway!).

Having only spent 30 minutes or so with it I can't go into too much more depth but I'll give more impressions once it lands at my door.
  • gang_of_bitches 24 May 2011 09:52:41 5,442 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just in case any of you are waiting for the S2 on T-Mobile, it's available now.
  • KingOfSpain 24 May 2011 10:30:26 5,187 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got my S2 yesterday and I'm blown away. Everything I said above still holds true. (it's too early in the morning to do a full review so I'll do a list of bullet points of things I like/dislike as they pop into my head)

It's taking me a little while to get used to Android at the moment, having moved from iOS, but it is a fantastic system especially if you like to customise shit.

The screen is a miracle. It needs to be seen to be believed. So crisp and clear.

Battery is ok so far. It's on par with my iPhone 3GS experiences. The power saving options are very cool however but I need to investigate them a little more.

It's thin, so very very thin. I normally like my phones to have a little bulk to them so I know they're there in my pocket and I've not forgotten them. I can see myself panicking a couple of times over the next week or so, thinking that I've left it at home.

No Spellchecker. I found the iphone's spell check rather useful so I'll have to see if I can download one.

I've never really cared about having a camera on my phone but I've got to say the S2 takes some nice shots at times. It helps that you can view them on that beautiful screen of course!

I know this is true for all android phones but the Google integration is really impressive. Doc, calendars, gmail, contacts all imported in a minute. Really easy.

It's fast. My past experiences with android has left the impression that they are all rather slow, especially scrolling around the home screen but this is lighting fast. It really does put everything I've ever used to shame.

Again, this is another general android point, but the notification bar is a work of genius. It's worth moving from iOS to Android for this alone!

The sound quality is good. Not amazing, but good enough.

Earphones are good too, although there doesn't seem to be any volume control on them, unless I'm missing something! I'm no expert but I'd say they are better than the stock Apple earphones, not that that means much.

Erm....that's all I can think of right now. I'll post more impressions if I can think of any. If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer them.
  • gang_of_bitches 24 May 2011 10:38:44 5,442 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks. Mine's due to arrive tomorrow, can't wait.
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 May 2011 13:32:33 39,387 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I need more impressions please! I'm on the verge of buying the S2.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• KingOfSpain 25 May 2011 14:06:23 5,187 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I need more impressions please! I'm on the verge of buying the S2.

What exactly do you want to know?

If you want my advice, I'd say just buy it. I can't see how anyone could possibly be disappointed with it. It's a fantastic bit of tech and is the best phone I've ever used!
  • mrpon 25 May 2011 14:06:34 28,463 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    T3 Review - score 5/5 :D

Page 1
    Page 2

• KingOfSpain 25 May 2011 14:10:48 5,187 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't agree with the reviews comment about build quality. Yes it's thin, but it's doesn't feel cheap and I'm very confident that it will hold up to abuse. It certainly doesn't feel like it's going to snap!
  • urban 25 May 2011 14:14:12 10,924 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I want a back protector for mine, I don't like how exposed the camera is to scratching.
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 May 2011 14:38:03 39,387 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I read the Engadget review and it called it possibly the best smartphone, period.

I'm on the phone to upgrade now!

• mrpon 25 May 2011 14:46:16 28,463 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post your contract length and monthly cost monkeyman.

• mcmonkeyplc 25 May 2011 14:57:07 39,387 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    100mins
    500text
    500mb

26.50 per month, phone costs 274.99

You may think I'm nuts...but 12 months contract and I told the lady to go back 6 months of usage on my phone and I never once went over 75mins a month or 200 text a month and my data usuage hardly passed 200mb a month.

Total contract cost: 592.99

I'm happy with that as I am still waiting for Nokia/MS to produce the goods. If they don't then I'll just stick with Android, unless the evil cunt's at apple pull off another super phone. Which isn't unheard of.

All in all though, me and apple just don't get on. :)

• urban 25 May 2011 16:52:41 10,924 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You anti-social monkey you.
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 May 2011 16:54:12 39,387 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh, I couldn't believe it, that's why I told her to go back 6 months !

• gang_of_bitches 25 May 2011 19:12:00 5,442 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    I don't agree with the reviews comment about build quality. Yes it's thin, but it's doesn't feel cheap and I'm very confident that it will hold up to abuse. It certainly doesn't feel like it's going to snap!

Mine's just arrived and removing the back cover was a very scary experience. Still it seems OK once it's on, so hopefully won't be an issue.
  • Deleted user 25 May 2011 20:01:39
    It does feel very plasticky, and the size of it made me nervous it was going to snap in half!
  • Page

of 8 First / Last