Samsung Galaxy S

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • Dante_Cubit 25 Jun 2010 20:37:42 1,842 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Has anyone got one of these? I am on the hunt for a new phone and from word-of-mouth/specs it looks like the HTC or this. I know it almost brand new but have any of you reprobates experience of using one? If you work in a mobile phone shop I'd like to hear your opinion (but please don't ever talk to me again under any circumstances).

Cheers!
  • rutter 25 Jun 2010 21:07:30 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We've got a prototype of the tablet version at work (basically a giant version) - and its very nice.

The super amoled screen is much better than HTC's offerings in sunlight.
  • grey_matters 25 Jun 2010 21:37:32 3,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haven't got the Galaxy S but I got the Samsung Wave last week. The screen is ridiculously good. Very snappy for a new OS too. I'd imagine the Galaxy S with its bigger screen an bigger software catalogue is pretty solid. Heard the body was a bit plasticky though.
  • Dante_Cubit 25 Jun 2010 22:42:57 1,842 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers for the feedback. I'm going to try and play with one in the next couple of days (if I can get off childcare duty). All the early indications are that it is the HTC Desire killer. My main applications are web browsing and music so it sounds perfect. People are reporting that they can get a couple of days heavy use out of it as well, which would be nice coming from an iphone 3G...
  • coderkind 25 Jun 2010 22:57:27 982 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been looking into going Android a lot recently. Samsung apparently don't have a good reputation for updating the firmware on their phones. Spec-wise, the Galaxy S looks amazing, true, but the HTC Desire is probably more likely to receive the aftercare love.

Also vaguely considering the Dell Streak!
  • JammyB 25 Jun 2010 23:11:22 756 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had a play with one today at work and it seemed really nice. Huge screen and really responsive to touch. The reps demo'ing it promised that it would be getting an upgrade to Android 2.2 (Froyo) before the HTC handsets got theirs (it's on 2.1 currently).
  • mcmonkeyplc 26 Jun 2010 15:05:47 38,899 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is no one watching this?!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Dante_Cubit 26 Jun 2010 17:40:16 1,842 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just bought one of these and have it on charge. I'll give you my impressions after a bit of use.
  • phycus 29 Jun 2010 12:16:57 293 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i had a look at one of these along with a Nexus One and a HTC Desire. Settled on a N1 due to OTA release of Android updates. Samsung have the worst track record for releasing updates for their android phones, their forums are full of people complaining.

Both Samsung and HTC have stated recently that only phones for this year will get updates, implying last years phones stuck on 1.5/1.6 won't get Froyo (or at least not a priority). On that point Google have started rolling out the 2.2 update for the N1 see:

http://googlenexusoneboard.blogspot.com/2010/06/new-android-22-software-update-for.html

Don't get me wrong the Galaxy S is an excellent phone and is far superior to any otehr Android phone. And I would have chosen it had it not been so poor in supporting the OS.
  • Grunk 29 Jun 2010 12:50:37 4,718 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played with some of these phones recently.

One thing with the desire is it didn't flip the screen when you turn it on it's side which I thought was odd.

The Galaxy was really nice, the screen looks amazing and it doesn't stop working if you hold it. Unfortunately my contract isn't up till feb next year, so I'm stuck with an LG till then.

I'm never going to go for LG again after this phone, it's terrible.
  • Dante_Cubit 29 Jun 2010 23:04:28 1,842 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well I've owned a Samsung Galaxy for a few days so I thought I would provide a mini review. I've had an iPhone 3G for the last couple of years so you know where I am coming from. I did a fair bit of homework before heading down to the shop to check over the models in more detail. I had pretty decided on either this or the HTC Desire (I know several people with them who can't fault them - except for the battery life).

The Galaxy feels a fair bit cheaper than the Desire and has a decidedly plasticky feel. It isn't unpleasant but compared to the Desire (or iPhone) it just isn't as solid. I wouldn't want to put it in a pocket with some loose change or keys (not that I would do that with any phone deliberately...). When you remove the rear cover you can appreciate how lightweight the plastic construction is but I would not describe it as flimsy.

It comes shipped with Android 2.1 and a Samsung interface. I've no previous experience of using Android but I must say that I am impressed. It feels much more flexible than the iPhone OS and the degree of customization available is ridiculous. It didn't take me long to get to grips with and I'm whole satisfied with the configuration I've setup. The only real quirk I've found is some trouble mounting it on my mac. In Windows under bootcamp you can use the Samsung Kies software which is pretty decent. In OSX I discovered that you have to specify it should be treated as a mass storage device AND turn on USB debugging.

The phone itself is extremely fast and responsive. There is practically zero lag in most operations and the 512meg RAM really shows. The Vodaphone model has 16 gb of internal memory and uses micro SDHC which means 32 gb without too much expenditure. I believe you can install up to 1.8 gb of apps unlike most android phones, and after the 2.2 update you'll be able to install to the SD card if you need to for some reason.

Much has been made of the screen which is a superb Super amoled at 480x800. Everything looks incredibly crisp and video is fantastic. Web browsing and email are probably the two major phone uses for me and this is a good part of what sold the phone. There is no comparison to the iPhone 3G, it is simply better in every respect. Coincidentally, whilst the girl in the store was doing the paperwork she gave me an iPhone 4 to play with. The build quality looks fantastic but the OS is starting to feel creaky. The horrible notification system is a pain and iTunes is a bloated mess. Being able to copy & paste files straight to the phone on any computer without messing around is delightfully old school (I used to own an iRiver 40 gb MP3 player years ago and this made it effortless to use). I am getting really fucking fed-up of Apple's policy of control and I wanted to make a break. I currently own a Macbook Pro and I think it might well be last Apple product I'll use. It is nice but fuck Steve Jobs. Really, just fuck him.

I am quite into photography and so hate phone cameras with a passion. This one is quite passable and a distinct improvement on the iPhone 3G. The Galaxy also records 720p video which I found to be a bit meh. I am sure you'll like it though if you are into happy slapping or phoning your mates shagging in a pub toilet.

I don't have any regrets in obtaining this phone but I think if you have a tendency to treat phones badly then the Desire would be the way to go. If you are careful though I would recommend the Galaxy S as it just offers a really nice experience.

EDIT: Swype is excellent and makes all previous text input methods redundant.
  • Toori 22 Jul 2010 16:26:31 432 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I would have thought, this is more durable than the desire as its more plasticy (is that even a word), am I wrong?
  • NotSoSlim 22 Jul 2010 16:34:52 3,072 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I want to return my iPhone 4 following the antenna issues so that mini review was great.

Phone looks great but plastic feel is concerning.
  • mcmonkeyplc 22 Jul 2010 16:44:58 38,899 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    NotSoSlim you do realise you just painted a target sign onto your head right?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• NotSoSlim 22 Jul 2010 16:52:23 3,072 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mcmonkey, so be it haha

This phone has gotten great reviews tho
  • Grunk 22 Jul 2010 16:56:47 4,718 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's an excellent phone.
    It does have a plastic case.
    so if you want to use it as a phone/portable computer then great.
    If you want to have it sitting on a table in starbucks so people know that you have one, probably not so sleek.
  • PearOfAnguish 22 Jul 2010 17:37:14 6,989 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "One thing with the desire is it didn't flip the screen when you turn it on it's side which I thought was odd."

It does in apps, but not in the home screen. Using another home screen such as LauncherPro enables that option.
  • Dante_Cubit 22 Jul 2010 20:04:43 1,842 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well I have been living with this phone now for a month and I must say that I am still well impressed. It is incredibly quick, very simple to use and so light you forget that you are carrying it. It does feel a little plasticky if you are coming from an iphone, but mine doesn't have so much as a mark on it and I never use a case / screen protector.

If you have an android phone and don't have Swype then download it. I am not kidding but it is only text input method once you've used it. You can manage 25 words per minute on it with very little practice.
  • Grunk 22 Jul 2010 20:23:08 4,718 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    swype is excellent.I'm replying using it now.so impressed with this phone.
    Although only 2 days battery seems a bit short.however I've been using it pretty heavily. Not sure how it compares toother smart phones with a similar amount of usage.
  • Dante_Cubit 22 Jul 2010 20:31:57 1,842 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Grunk wrote:
    swype is excellent.I'm replying using it now.so impressed with this phone.
    Although only 2 days battery seems a bit short.however I've been using it pretty heavily. Not sure how it compares toother smart phones with a similar amount of usage.

Battery life is the bane of all smartphones. To be honest it is better than average (it has a larger battery than most). The HTC desire is a great phone but has awful battery life. I've heard the iPhone4 is very good though...
  • Whatsfor 22 Jul 2010 21:54:07 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can push 3 days out of my Desire with screen fully bright and WiFi on...
  • morriss 22 Jul 2010 21:57:08 70,749 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Any news if 2.2 is gonna be out for it?
  • Dante_Cubit 22 Jul 2010 22:37:58 1,842 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    I can push 3 days out of my Desire with screen fully bright and WiFi on...

I don't know anyone who can get more than a day?! Are you doing 3ish hours of day of webski and plenty of music playing?
  • crashVoodoo 22 Jul 2010 23:31:13 3,821 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    i really like this phone. i think it has one large advantage in that samsung are whoring it out to every carrier under the sun. more people having me means more roms. its already rooted so hopefully a drop to vanilla android isn't too far behind :-)

hopefully they bring the galaxy s pro though, i think i want a hardware keyboard this time around ...

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Whatsfor 22 Jul 2010 23:35:05 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dante, don't use the music as I don't really commute. I do web browse, email, Facebook, eurogamer app, andronos and Google maps most days though...
  • SpaceIndaver 2 Aug 2010 12:43:53 45 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm sick of Apple holding back on tech and over-charging, so I'm looking into whether I should jump ship to an Android phone (specifically this as the HTC Evo isn't available in the UK)

Does anyone know of any good videos to show what's good about Android? I'm fairly certain I'm going to sell my iPhone 3G and get it anyway but I want to feel like I've researched it properly!
  • crashVoodoo 2 Aug 2010 12:59:32 3,821 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    htc evo is rumoured to be coming over here in the guise of htc desire hd but that name could change ... as could the rumour

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• SpaceIndaver 2 Aug 2010 13:03:28 45 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    htc evo is rumoured to be coming over here in the guise of htc desire hd but that name could change ... as could the rumour

DAMMIT. Stalemate.
  • varsas 2 Aug 2010 13:14:42 2,373 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Dante_Cubit: Thanks for the excellent review; I have IPhone 3G and it's creaking with the iOS4 so this has been really helpful!
  • JammyB 5 Aug 2010 00:08:38 756 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just ordered this phone from my employer. I originally wanted the Desire but in the end it wasn't available, and I could've been hanging on till the end of the year waiting for it. Glad though because it would have been a tough choice between the two, and I understand this has a superior screen and storage.

Are there any decent accessories I should consider for the Galaxy S then? I'm mainly thinking about screen protectors, but I've never had a fancy-man phone before so I don't know what kind of thing is available.

Also, someone told me the 2.2 update is coming in September, so is there really any point in rooting it? (I'm not interested in pirating software by the way.)
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous