Ni no Kuni: The Another World for PS3 - Studio Ghibli/Level 5 title Page 31

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• Ashleyfiddes 22 Jul 2013 12:46:12 980 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    started playing this over the weekend, 6 hours in and although i am loving it does it let go of your hand at any point? Mr Drippy (although well voiced - in english - is driving me insane with his constant need to tell me exactly what to do. I can work out for myself that a cat is a cat! i don't need to be told

Also at any point do you need to concentrate on the battle's at any other point then bosses? i have found myself just whacking attack over and over whilst reading the cricket/falling asleep and my mite is demolishing all that stands before him

anyway, this may seem like a negative post but i am really loving the game when it lets me loose
  • RyanDS 22 Jul 2013 12:48:01 9,066 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No.

50 hours in and every time you come to a locked box Drippy will go "Gee whizz, do you think maybe you have a spell to unlock this?" depsite it being the 568th locked chest. Same goes for taking / giving hearts etc.

It's very fucking annoying.
  • Ashleyfiddes 22 Jul 2013 12:52:56 980 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dammit, well i guess it is just something i will have to put up with if i want to continue with this, hope it doesn't taint the whole game for me
  • kentmonkey 24 Jul 2013 17:38:33 20,450 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Posted this in the completed games thread. Spoilered most of it as there are a couple of minor spoilers in it and I couldn't be bothered to spoiler each individual bit through fear of missing something.

A diary of Ni No Kuni

Day one

Mom, I miss you. And I've decided that somehow, someway, I'm going to make things right and bring you back. I've met this really neato guy called Drippy. He's swell. And Welsh. He's Lord High Lord of the Fairies, and I just know he's going to help me find you. Which would be really neato.

Day two

Although I miss you, mom, I'm really enjoying this journey to bring you back. It's been really neato. My adorable little Welsh friend, Drippy, has taken me to his world and he's even taught me this new trick to mend broken hearts. It appears that there are a few people in Drippy's world who have been left broken hearted. Which is a terrible thing. But I'm going to put that right. This world is really neato as well, dangerous, but I feel like I've got the powers, alongside my Welsh sidekick, to tackle anything.

Day three

Although I canít wait to see you again Mom, this place is so beautiful I never want our journey to end. Iím getting used to using familiars to do battle for me and Iím learning some really neato spells. Iíve even met a tree that spoke to me.

Day four

I've met this really cool girl called Esther, Mom. I managed to mend her broken heart and she has agreed to join me on my quest. She has a familiar too, and I just know we're going to get on swell.

Day five

Fixed a few more people with broken hearts. I'm sure pleased to help people, but there are so many of them, and it's tiring running around town swapping pieces of heart around.

Day six

Apparently we each have another version of ourselves in the other world and when something happens to us in one world, it can affect the Ďusí in the other world. So to cure some of the people in this world, I need to travel back home to Earth to cure them in my world, which is neato. As Iím from Earth and not from this world, I wonder who the Ďmeí in this world isÖI canít wait to find out and so far there have been no clues whatsoever. Not one. Iím sure I really have no idea who it could be.

Day seven

Some of the people here have started to display some odd communicational behaviour. Now only about one in ten conversations are spoken, while the rest are mimed. Iím trying to adjust and do the same, so Iíve restricted myself to saying just a few words, such as neato. Which the locals seem to really like.

Day eight

More broken hearts fixed today, including a couple of people I'm sure I've already fixed before.

Day nine

Okay, this is getting slightly weird. So before, while the majority of conversations were mimed, at least those that were vocal were spoken through to the end of the conversation. Now some conversations start off as mime, have a bit of speaking in the middle and then end up as mime again. Just a minute ago I even had a whole conversation where only one person spoke and the rest was mimed. It was very off-putting.

Day ten

Although I like my new friends, they are a bit backward. When we battle against the creatures of this world with our familiars, theyíll often let me do all the hard work while they run around the sides casting spells that we donít need. Iíve tried to give them instructions, to make them more effective, but they ignore me most of the time. We could act better as a team. Also, Drippy has started doing this dance which helps heal us all, which is really kind of him, but he chooses to do it at the oddest moments and Iíve no idea why itís taken him so long to start doing it. Still, theyíre all such neato friends I shouldnít complain.

Day eleven

More broken hearts fixed.

Day twelve

Iíd never noticed before but Drippy says ĎTidyí a lot.

Day thirteen

More broken hearts fixed, more minor quests solved and more diaries found.

Day fourteen

Mom, donít take this the wrong way, but I really canít wait to see you now. I mean, I wanted to before, but this journey is turning into a bit of a grind. Iím not finding it challenging at all, the situations I find myself in are starting to feel very repetitive and although I really like helping people, Iím finding the amount of people that continue to get broken hearted a little irritating.

Day fifteen

Today we met a dragon. An actual dragon, Mom. Although I wasnít as excited about it as I thought I would be as Iím sure Iíd seen that we would meet a dragon before it happened. Sort of like a premonition that happened one day as I waited to begin my journey. Which was a shame, as it slightly spoiled the surprise. Still, a dragon! It helped break up the monotony and now I can journey this world even quicker and get to you sooner.

Day sixteen

Drippy is still telling me what to do every time we meet somebody whoís broken hearted. Heís been constantly holding my hand throughout the whole journey and wonít let me work things out for myself. I mean, bless the neato little welsh Lord High Lord of the Fairies and all, but itíd be rather nice if he trusted me to work things out for myself. I feel like I can't enjoy myself while he's constantly telling me what to do.

Day seventeen

I want to shit down Drippy's throat until he dies, the annoying hand holding little welsh Lord High Lord of the annoying fucking pricks.

7/10

• Ashleyfiddes 29 Jul 2013 11:15:41 980 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @kentmonkey i am in a similar boat, if i was someone who could rush through a main game and ignore side quests it would be a 9/10 for me so far. But after spending 2 hours trying to capture a tin man yesterday it is seriously going close to being a shelving job.

i did manage it but it is such a stupid system where i have to fight over 100 of the bastards (i checked it was 112) just to have the chance of capturing it.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Nov 2013 23:47:37 10,308 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Lost Odyssey was awesome, gutted I wasn't able to complete it due to the disk 4 bug .

There is a subtlety to the writing in this that Is fucking stunning. There is the traditional happy clappy jrpg coating of course but the undercurrent is so wonderfully handled.
    It takes 5 mins to fix the disc, all you need is a kettle.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 21 Nov 2013 21:55:09 10,308 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    As lovely as this, after 15 hours I'm finding it quite boring :-(
    The handholding is extremely tedious as well, not sure I'll stick with this...

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Widge Moderator 31 Dec 2013 12:48:35 13,268 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just bought in the sale. I see 5GB and 15GB varieties. I'm assuming this is compressed/non-compressed FMV versions?

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• TheMayorOfJugs 31 Dec 2013 12:50:34 3,102 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You need both.... 22gb total :-S
  • SomaticSense 3 Jan 2014 09:07:37 7,976 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:
    Bizarre. Uncharted 3 did a similar thing.

It is a great idea for single/multiplayer split games, allowing you to save space and d/l time if you aren't interested in one aspect. All games should do that. But why split vital files which are required to run the game?
  • thefilthandthefury 3 Jan 2014 09:36:20 24,952 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had this sat here since Christmas day but have been unable to lay due to my currently broken PS3. It's (hopefully) getting repaired at the moment. Can't bloody wait tbh, dead excited to play this :D
  • dominalien 3 Jan 2014 09:50:01 6,839 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:

It is a great idea for single/multiplayer split games, allowing you to save space and d/l time if you aren't interested in one aspect. All games should do that. But why split vital files which are required to run the game?
    Maybe to lower the total space needed to dl and install?

PSN: DonOsito

• SomaticSense 3 Jan 2014 10:15:15 7,976 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:

Maybe to lower the total space needed to dl and install?
    So why the unbalanced 6gb vs 16gb split?

My thoughts regarding the game itself, although still early on having just left Ding Dong Dell:

I adore everything non-combat related. The art direction, the animation, the old school overworld/town exploration, the characters, Drippy's awesome voiceacting. It would be an almost perfect JRPG if it wasn't for the horrible combat.

I can't really explain in absolute terms why I hate the combat system, other than 'too loose, and too busy'. It feels like the mesh of real-time and turn-based systems just do not gel whatsoever. It's a little too real-time for the tactical mechanics they went for. It's like they forced some kind of new hybrid system in without testing if it was actually better and more enjoyable than existing tradtional mechanics. If they'd stuck to a more traditional (or 'boring') turn-based system, the game as a whole would be a lot more enjoyable.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 3 Jan 2014 10:44:24 3,102 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You get used to the combat though, I promise. Nothing quite like perfectly timing a defence, possibly finding 2 or 3 golden glims, and then ganging up afterwards. I'll admit the AI is terrible but you get slightly more control a few hours in, after Teeheeti.
  • SomaticSense 3 Jan 2014 11:01:36 7,976 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've not even got to the point where AI would be an issue, as it's just Oliver and Drippy for me at the mo.

There's just too much going on as is. More stuff or even more control would be a negative for me, as it's crazy enough as it is. I didn't get on with the Tales of... games for similar reasons. Every fight feels like a war of attrition rather than anything tactical, as if I even bring out any other familar than Mitey then he just gets destroyed by the enemy's relentess attack spamming.

I'm on Easy btw, so difficulty wise it's been cake. But it's just not fun.
  • mrharvest 3 Jan 2014 11:26:49 5,185 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I started playing this with the missus and she likes it. She's playing it on her own right now, in fact.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 3 Jan 2014 11:30:08 3,102 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    If you're not even up a party member, you can't be judging :-D
  • SamNunn92 3 Jan 2014 11:38:55 202 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm around 10 hours in and for me, the worst thing is also the combat. It doesn't provide enough time/control for properly considering moves IMO so you end up just spamming your favourite attack until everyone's dead. Plus I found that the difficulty spikes quite frequently which can be frustrating.

Love the whole tone and direction of the rest of the game though. Will be persevering :)
  • TheMayorOfJugs 3 Jan 2014 11:45:52 3,102 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    People dont realise the value of running around the battlefield/area in this I dont think. You can dodge attacks by just staying away from enemies and keep running in circles while you decide what to do.
  • SamNunn92 3 Jan 2014 12:10:56 202 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That's true, & tends to be my tactic during boss fights. I expect the battle system just takes some getting used to really! It's a great game anyway :) am a huge sucker for those Ghibli animated scenes too!
  • SomaticSense 3 Jan 2014 20:29:47 7,976 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Same here. Regardless of whether I begin to warm to the combat, I want to stick with it because the rest of it is so good. The Ghibliness of the whole thing is just so enchanting.
  • Nazo 3 Jan 2014 21:46:29 341 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wouldn't get too attached to Drippy's voice acting, it becomes almost text only all too soon.
  • Tomo 4 Jan 2014 12:37:09 13,880 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just started this too. Played about 45 minutes and just got to the world map. It's intriguing so far... story appears better than most non-Final Fantasy JPRGs (not just some tween-emo fiction); the combat looks like it could be interesting, but I've only fought some fox thing; and the artwork is lovely. But, I hope it's not purely about running to the next star on the map Ė that could wear thin.
  • kentmonkey 4 Jan 2014 12:42:38 20,450 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomo wrote:But, I hope it's not purely about running to the next star on the map Ė that could wear thin.
    It'll be positively anorexic by about 1/2 way through then.

Edited by kentmonkey at 12:42:59 04-01-2014
  • SomaticSense 17 Jan 2014 16:15:33 7,976 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I've had enough of this game now. The game is amazing in almost every aspect, but the combat is just awful. I've stuck at it for a while, but the Royal Jelly boss is impossible to defeat because of the fucking dire combat system and controls.

The difficulty balance is way off. For a game that should be perfect for chilling out to and immersing yourself in it's wonderful world, it's at least several steps harder than it needs to be (playing on Easy btw!). The balancing is just ridiculous, with Esther, my main healer, out of mana after literally just one boggo mob fight. That's just crazy. Enemies are ripping through my health like fuck knows what, and my healer never has any mana! Recovery items are crazily expensive, and yet I seem to be having to pop them constantly. That can't be right. I've played a ton of JRPGs over the years, and I can't remember ever having this much trouble. Even FFIV was a piece of piss compared to this.

There are times when the dreadful combat menus do their best to stop you defending when a boss powers up an attack. All-Out Attack and All-Out Defend seem to work completely randomly. Having to micromanage and babysit the awful AI is pain in the arse. I just wish they'd just stuck to the most boring generic turn-based JRPG combat mechanic instead of this haphazard chaotic mess, as the game would have been incredible as a result.

edit: Sorry for the ranty nature of that... well, rant. But I'm typing this still fresh from the frustration of that goddamn boss. I mean every word though. The combat is shit.

Edited by SomaticSense at 16:24:09 17-01-2014
  • Cappy 17 Jan 2014 20:51:31 11,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't recall Ni no Kuni being that hard.

I agree, the battle system would have been so much better if it had been turn based though. As it stands it's functional, but makes you work a bit harder than you'd like.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 17 Jan 2014 21:50:40 3,102 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    ..... Didn't struggle on any boss except piggeh tank. If you grind a little bit or pick a familiar with an advantage/resistance, it'll be easy.

I played on the highest (think it's Normal?) and found it all fine bar that one piggeh. You mustn't be fighting out in the field much Somatic.
  • karlo87 19 Jan 2014 15:26:22 1,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I keep meaning to go back to this every weekend to clean up the trophies, but then I read them and think.. can't be assed :(

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• Max_Powers 19 Jan 2014 15:40:37 1,089 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really enjoying this game. It's very sweet and charming and Drippy is a very funny character.

The hand-holding is a bit annoying but I just accepted it at some point. The battles can be very hard though and that mainly has to do with the shit AI and nature of the battle system. The pig tank battle was hard! I was under leveled when I got there but could have beaten him if I would have had a bit more control (in this case don't use physical attacks only magic).

The game employs a bit of a FFXII-light battle system but does not give you enough management control. Which would be ok if the AI proved to be more reliable. Like staying back from bosses with fierce physical attacks etc. I would have really liked to be able to command characters in the "If X > then
    Y" style of FFXII.

Edited by Max_Powers at 15:41:09 19-01-2014
  • Page

of 34 First / Last