Ni no Kuni: The Another World for PS3 - Studio Ghibli/Level 5 title Page 4

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• doctor_nick 1 Dec 2011 17:45:38 172 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This just keeps getting better, though in a way I hope it's not out here too early in 2012 so I get to clear some great games hanging around first...
  • ecureuil 15 Feb 2012 14:35:34 76,474 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's fine. I'm quite pleased we're getting it at all. Got more than enough games to keep me busy until about 2030, so next year might be a little soon.
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Feb 2012 21:58:37 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ;_;

US import for Christmas should be just the ticket then.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 15 Feb 2012 22:04:28 12,740 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Euro release not till Q1 2013 :-(
    That's a shame :(
  • Oceanstar 16 Feb 2012 03:52:57 114 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    ;_;

US import for Christmas should be just the ticket then.
    Well if you are happy to wait until christmas then wait a little longer.

You'd probably going to get euro exclusive limited editions - those have been coming more frequent. If thats not going to happen than at least you are going get a better artwork for packaging. The US artwork of Japanese games are usually inferior.

NNID: Oceanstar

• chrisno21 16 Feb 2012 07:17:11 1,452 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bloody Mayans better be wrong, was hoping to play this before the world ends.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Deleted user 17 February 2012 20:02:23
    Some pretty videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCPR_ICguu0&list=UU_ntXHv-XdKCD7CPynVvnQw&index=1&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJYzvCRyVuw&list=UU_ntXHv-XdKCD7CPynVvnQw&index=2&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDLc2DvcHmQ&list=UU_ntXHv-XdKCD7CPynVvnQw&index=3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCKQaUtJJyI&list=UU_ntXHv-XdKCD7CPynVvnQw&index=4&feature=plcp
  • Nazo 1 Mar 2012 23:25:38 335 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I love this game! It's obviously stunning visually being a Ghibli collaboration but the script and voice acting are also top notch. Even my gf who normally hates games is hooked on watching and doesn't want me to progress the story when she's not there.
    I hope the long delay means they are going to do a proper job with the localisation as it would be a shame if it hot a half-hearted effort.
  • chrisno21 2 Mar 2012 07:31:04 1,452 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The localisation of level5s dragonquest 8 was one of the best ever so hopefully this will be too.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Deleted user 6 March 2012 20:44:48
    chrisno21 wrote:
    The localisation of level5s dragonquest 8 was one of the best ever so hopefully this will be too.
    Man that DQVIII was a game. I wonder what the chances of a VIta version are... /dreams

Edited by BeardofZeus at 20:44:57 06-03-2012
  • BravoGolf Moderator 12 Apr 2012 13:21:25 12,740 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New trailer on EG today. Not sure if it's something aired previously. Such a shame it's delayed to 2013.
  • Deleted user 29 June 2012 15:54:28

very nice!
  • Lt_Drebin 29 Jun 2012 16:07:51 141 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    http://www.deculture.es/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Ni-no-Kuni-la-ira-de-la-bruja-blanca-wizards-edition.jpg

very nice!
    I stopped buying collectors editions a few years ago but I think I absolutely must have that.
  • edrerai 29 Jun 2012 16:16:36 11 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Xephon1970 ni no kuni is for me the dark cloud of this generetion and a must have jrpg. after so many final fantasy and fallout i think even for purly optical reason this is a must have rpg.
    i watch some videos on youtube i found that gameplay is very good to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0lT78HJnnk.
  • RunningMan 2 Oct 2012 08:20:11 2,385 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saw this at the expo and it looks amazing. Couldn't get a game as people wouldn't move off the game. Really looking forward to this.
  • Deleted user 2 October 2012 08:48:53
    i saw some world map footage a couple weeks back. Looks gorgeous. I have it on pre-order for 32 odd pounds as well. amazon priced it pretty low when first listed :)
  • Cappy 5 Dec 2012 13:48:57 11,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Ni no Kuni demo is up on the US PSN already and should hopefully be available for EU accounts today.

I'd only seen a few screenshots previously so the demo is pretty enlightening. The battle system seems to offer a fair bit of depth and retains a turn based, command RPG feel. Though it's irritating that on-screen action doesn't cease until you select a button on the menu, I got whacked a fair few times when I needed to defend because I was struggling to select the correct command on the wheel.

Defending is pretty important by the way, the first enemy I encountered came close to killing me in one hit with a special attack if I wasn't defending. So on the plus side the battle system should keep you engaged unless the rest of the game is filled out with pushover enemies.

It's very much a game that looks lovely in screen shots, in the flesh it's a bit disappointing from a technical perspective. A lot of attention has been lavished on the main characters in terms of graphics and animation, everything else is far below the standard for a PS3 game. The environments in particular are built on similar poly counts to a PS2 or Wii game, it's pretty noticeable on a big screen. The textures are bland and there doesn't seem to be a anti-aliasing solution either so that lovely art is marred by jaggies.

It's not the visually outstanding game we thought it was.

Note: The demo runs on a 25 minute time limit, it's still ticking down even if you pause, it's kind of annoying having to restart and do the same things again and again just because you had to stop for quarter of an hour and got booted out.
  • Gambit1977 5 Dec 2012 14:19:51 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just announced the demo is out today.
    Gutted about the gfx if that's the case!
  • Rose-of-Sorrow 5 Dec 2012 14:27:34 490 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I never thought the game's visuals were technically impressive, rather artistically impressive. The art style is wonderful. I really enjoyed the demo- I quite like how they've handled the combat system too.
  • Cappy 5 Dec 2012 14:47:15 11,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I enjoyed what was on offer enough to order the game, it's been ages since we had something like this on a Playstation console, not since Dragon Quest VIII perhaps.

It's a pity Ni no Kuni has no chance of selling anywhere near as well.

Edited by Cappy at 15:10:13 05-12-2012
  • BravoGolf Moderator 5 Dec 2012 15:06:25 12,740 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hope it's more a Ghibli-esque story (that it's the story that compels you to play) rather than a turn based RPG skills grinding style game with ghibli art work thrown on top
  • Deleted user 5 December 2012 15:10:56
    Cappy wrote:
    I think I enjoyed what was on offer enough to order the game, it's been ages since we had something like this on a Playstation console, not since Dragon Quest VIII perhaps.

As long as you do your bit and buy a copy. i think it may have a better chance than others though, i think the studio ghibli name will be a big draw for most though.

i can't wait!
  • Cappy 5 Dec 2012 15:11:43 11,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    I hope it's more a Ghibli-esque story (that it's the story that compels you to play) rather than a turn based RPG skills grinding style game with ghibli art work thrown on top
    Give the demo a try, they put you right into dealing with some quests to avoid spoiling the story too much but you can see there's a fairytale style story in there.

Edited by Cappy at 15:12:36 05-12-2012
  • DodgyPast 5 Dec 2012 15:38:35 8,414 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:

Sold
  • Nazo 5 Dec 2012 17:00:16 335 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Must get back on this, never did get round to finishing it.
    Behind the pretty art and animation it's a fairly bog-standard JRPG, with all the cliches and it has the annoying modern habit of over the top hand-holding; the next objective is always highlighted on the map.
    Voice acting was great in the JP release but very sparse, probably 90%+ text only.

Tone wise it's more Totoro or Ponyo than Mononoke. Not that that's a bad thing, but I'm not sure how well it will be received.

I'd probably give it a 7, not earth shattering but solid enough.
  • ecureuil 5 Dec 2012 17:07:12 76,474 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Level 5 have never made a game that's hit the top mark for me. Rogue Galaxy looked incredible and it had a lot of very good things in it, and it was a good game, but it just lacked something. I mention that one because that's the one that really looked like it was going to be the next best ever RPG. And it wasn't even close in the end. All Level 5 games feel like this, there's just that extra layer of quality that's lacking that would turn a decent game it to a great one.
  • King_Edward 5 Dec 2012 17:20:57 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Layton? Otherwise I agree.
  • Gambit1977 5 Dec 2012 17:25:28 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dragon Quest VIII is one of the best, most polished and atmospheric Games of the last 15 years.
  • andywilkie35 5 Dec 2012 20:03:42 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah shit, store is undergoing maintenance apparently so cant download yet. Bah!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Page

of 34 First / Last