Ni no Kuni: The Another World for PS3 - Studio Ghibli/Level 5 title Page 29

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• Cappy 5 Mar 2013 16:32:45 11,907 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I went with Dynamite. Pretty good, but for pure melee I've been using Puss-In-Boats and Puss-In-Bouts. I also have both stage three evolved forms of the Lubber Cub but the Pusses seem to do more damage with each hit than the Cubs, plus cool eye patch for Puss-In-Boats is the automatic win.
  • Rodriguez 5 Mar 2013 16:40:53 1,092 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Cappy

Thanks Cappy. I agree about the Purrloiner familiars, I've got mine at Cutpurrse rank at the moment and they're pretty good scrappers that have great attack speed. I just hammer the 'attack' button to keep their attacks going sometimes, they're that good at knocking enemies out of their rhythm!

Which third level 'Puss-In..." morph have you found to be the most effective between the two variants you have?
  • Cappy 5 Mar 2013 16:52:54 11,907 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Difficult to say. My Puss-In-Bouts is level 55 and the Puss-In-Boats is level 35. Either one will do you proud, it just depends how much you like eye patches. :-)

Keep a Mite around for the boss battles though, you really need a few familiars with the defend ability, that's where they really prove useful.
  • Rodriguez 5 Mar 2013 17:40:13 1,092 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Either one will do you proud, it just depends how much you like eye patches. :-)
    Haha! I loves me some eye patches I do mun :-P

Puss-In-Boats it is then, can't beat a pirate cat! Plus it appears they eventually get a dark magic attack which seems unique so far from the familiars I've got.
  • Gartt 5 Mar 2013 18:40:29 1,736 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got a lvl 99 Puss in Boats in my party, he isnt as strong as other familiars I could use, but how can I not use a Pirate Cat?

Dinoceros, Naja, Plessy and Hooray (all third tier and max level) are my highest rated in attack
  • Rodriguez 5 Mar 2013 21:46:50 1,092 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Gartt

Thanks for the familiar recommendations! I've seen a lot of people on the web mention that the Naja and Dinoceros in particular are supposed to be pretty damn good, so I will have to have a look around the world map for them!
  • Gartt 5 Mar 2013 22:13:28 1,736 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodriguez naja is back in ding dong well and the dino is on the cliffs around the temple of trials.
  • Rodriguez 5 Mar 2013 23:39:22 1,092 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers Gartt, will check out those locations!
  • chrisno21 7 Mar 2013 14:58:57 1,495 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is superb, the only problem I've found is that if you don't stop and think, so that you look around the locales you won't appreciate just how gorgeous they are and how much detail they have. It's stunning. It's not a complaint with the game it's a complaint that there's so much in here that I find myself pushing on without appreciating it enough.

Just got to the sky pirates hideout.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• lordofdeadside 7 Mar 2013 16:17:21 1,108 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've got a whole free evening tonight to play it, can't wait to finish work get home!
  • Rodriguez 7 Mar 2013 18:10:01 1,092 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Managed to get myself a Dinoceros familiar the other night thanks to Gartt's post pointing out the location. I managed to tame one during my first fight against the species, with two of them appearing on the enemy team. So I didn't have to wait long at all, nice!

The Dinoceros is quite slow at attacking, but damn it hits hard and it's defence against enemy attacks seems really high too! Managed to get it up to its second form now and it's just getting better - brilliant familiar!

Made it to Yule now in order to start looking for the first of the three stones to fit into the Mornstar. Nice change of scenery and a chance to fight some creature I haven't encountered yet.

As chrisno says, this truly is a stunning looking game and it's an absolute joy to traverse the world and take in all the little details. Also, whilst far from perfect, the battle system has become more bearable when you get a larger party to control. Though as Cappy said earlier in the thread, this could have been a flat out classic with a turn-based system and we can but hope that if Level 5 and Ghibli work together again in the future they take that into consideration.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing where the story takes me this evening!
  • Zackv4861 7 Mar 2013 18:49:26 1,084 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    With my Dinoceros maximum level fully evolved i hit over 1200hp from
    guardian of worlds boss. They are slow but VERYpowerfull
  • Gartt 8 Mar 2013 00:31:17 1,736 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "Finished" the game yesterday. There's still a ton left to do in the post-game. Actually decided to go for the platinum as I've been enjoying it so much, this alchemy trophy is going to be the most annoying one I think.

Trying to steal scrolls of truth from the golden honkeys now. Managed to get the kalaeidostones without too much trouble though.
  • Zackv4861 8 Mar 2013 06:02:11 1,084 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gartt wrote:
    "Finished" the game yesterday. There's still a ton left to do in the post-game. Actually decided to go for the platinum as I've been enjoying it so much, this alchemy trophy is going to be the most annoying one I think.

Trying to steal scrolls of truth from the golden honkeys now. Managed to get the kalaeidostones without too much trouble though.
    Don't. Fight guardian of worlds he drops one of eleven rare item you'll need for alchemy trophy do you're guarenteed something. He always respawns and i had him down to 5 minutes a fight. Well that my advice it's also great for levelling familiars and yourself for the sollesseum

The alchemy trophy is the last one i got

Edited by Zackv4861 at 06:06:56 08-03-2013
  • King_Edward 9 Mar 2013 22:54:11 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm so not into this. Level 25 now and I still have no idea what I'm doing with the combat. I haven't used the alchemy put at all, I have no idea if I'm supposed to mix and match my pokemon or stick with a set party. I stopped feeding them treats too, as I don't want to waste them on creatures I won't be using.

I don't get this.
  • Gregolution 10 Mar 2013 08:13:47 3,175 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What's to get? The combat is really interesting and challenging imo. Switching in and out of tanking, dps, considering planet alignments and resistances, defending big attacks.

There's a lot to consider which makes it so fun and unlike so many other JRPGs you need to time things well. Canceling ng out of an attack and defending or switching familiar is key.

It's a bloody brilliant game
  • King_Edward 10 Mar 2013 08:52:33 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All those words you said, those are the bits I don't get. Like planet alignments, what do they do? I'm sure it was explained, but I didn't listen, or I forgot, or it's in that book.
  • Scimarad 10 Mar 2013 09:04:20 8,537 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got to say I'm feeling absolutely no urge to continue with this. Charming as the world is, I find the gameplay itself to be a big turn off. I just don't enjoy the battle system and the way familiars work seems too much like a chore.
  • Gregolution 10 Mar 2013 09:10:19 3,175 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sun beats moon
    Moon beats star
    Star beats sun

I believe it's a 5% damage increase or decrease for single signs and 10% for doubles.

The green planet is a fourth sign, can't remember the dmg change for that though.

The talking stone and the compendium are great resources to use. It looks childish but it's quite a complicated game
  • King_Edward 10 Mar 2013 10:03:59 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love the look, and the charm. It's keeping me playing. Just struggling in the fights, even on easy.
  • Zackv4861 10 Mar 2013 10:04:31 1,084 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I paid no attention to the signs of familiars. It's really not that big a part if the game. I stuck to levelling all my slots of familuars and only changed to 2x Dino, and umberwood. Once i had those nothing could really touch me. Dino is unbelievably strong. If your stuck and can fully explore the world map pick a couple up
  • Gregolution 10 Mar 2013 11:38:28 3,175 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Zackv4861 wrote:
    I paid no attention to the signs of familiars. It's really not that big a part if the game. I stuck to levelling all my slots of familuars and only changed to 2x Dino, and umberwood. Once i had those nothing could really touch me. Dino is unbelievably strong. If your stuck and can fully explore the world map pick a couple up
    It really is a big part of the game, sorry. I don't grind, I like to use the game mechanics given to me. If I'm up against 2 single star mobs and bring out a 2 moon, he gets 10% extra dmg and takes 10% less. That makes a huge difference and saves me from grinding boring mobs for hours to over level. Plus paying attention to resistances, you get even more damage bonuses.

The last thing I want to do in a game is make my team get to the point where nothing can touch me - might as well just skip the fights altogether.
  • Gregolution 10 Mar 2013 11:43:15 3,175 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Crowd control can be really useful too. Take out the hardest mob first and then bring out familiars that are good at fighting the active ones.

I find the combat thoroughly enjoyable. But yeah - each to their own I guess. I wouldn't want them to change it to full turn based. I'm playing P4G at the same time, quite enjoy the different style combat in each.
  • Zackv4861 10 Mar 2013 12:59:24 1,084 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No each to their own by all means. Just offering another view if he didn't understand the signs that the game can be played with out paying attention to them.

It's not a vital game mechanic that should you not use it you can't complete the game like in say in "Resonance of fate".

I enjoyed the battle system too it's not without flaw also playing P4G and am glad they're not the same style. Both awesome games
  • Gregolution 10 Mar 2013 15:49:41 3,175 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Zackv4861

Fair enough

This and p4 is jrpg heaven. Happy days
  • Gregolution 10 Mar 2013 20:45:33 3,175 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The only complaint I have so far is that you can't tell what you have and haven't made with alchemy. Makes going for the 100% trophy a pain.
  • Zackv4861 10 Mar 2013 22:20:51 1,084 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @gregolution You can. If it has a picture you've made it. Even if you own one and not made one it'll still be a question mark. Took me a while to figure that one out too.

Edited by Zackv4861 at 22:21:30 10-03-2013
  • Gartt 11 Mar 2013 01:20:42 1,736 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just got the platinum trophy, the first and probably last plat I will get. Easily going down as one of my fave games this gen, clocked 106hrs.
  • Zackv4861 11 Mar 2013 06:04:14 1,084 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @garrt well done. How did you find the alchemy trophy? It was a bit of a grind for items for me.
  • Gregolution 11 Mar 2013 07:01:25 3,175 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Zackv4861

Oh really? What about the on ones you from the compendium with mix and match?

I'll be going for the platinum on this too. Absolutely love everything about the game. Don't want it to end
  • Page

of 34 First / Last