Ni no Kuni: The Another World for PS3 - Studio Ghibli/Level 5 title Page 28

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• Gregolution 1 Mar 2013 08:54:38 3,850 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Zackv4861 wrote:
    With a decent front line it's hard to be beaten
    Uh oh. Reading up I'm noticing comments like this and that worries me. Currently I have to pay attention in combat and switch out various familiars / time attacks etc. If later on I get so powerful that I can spam attack and beat everything, I definitely won't finish this game....

PSN : Gregolution
    XBL : Gregolutionz

• Zackv4861 1 Mar 2013 16:37:28 1,133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Zackv4861 wrote:
    Uh oh. Reading up I'm noticing comments like this and that worries me. Currently I have to pay attention in combat and switch out various familiars / time attacks etc. If later on I get so powerful that I can spam attack and beat everything, I definitely won't finish this game....
    Lol. Not quite that easy. The Solloseum was like that in the end but up to end story game i was no where near that stage. You'll be constantly switching for a while yet.lol
  • Progguitarist 1 Mar 2013 23:50:28 10,508 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stuck now at hamelin :-( no way I can beat this boss thing.
  • zisssou 2 Mar 2013 09:55:45 607 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I thought I'd pick this game up at GAME yesterday, as I haven't bought a new game in a while due to my backlog of steam games and to my no surprise it's priced at 44.99.. some things never change eh.
  • Randomlampy 2 Mar 2013 11:11:49 580 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @zisssou

In fairness to game (never thought I'd say that) it not a million miles cheaper elsewhere, or even in stock most places.

http://www.find-game.co.uk/34332-Ni-No-Kuni.htm
  • Cappy 2 Mar 2013 11:30:35 12,096 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Stuck now at hamelin :-( no way I can beat this boss thing.
    You mean the pig tank?

Do any of your party's familiars have electrical tricks, like thunderstorm? Just keep the party on the defensive, topping up their health if necessary with provisions which you should have plenty of, you can make them with alchemy at that point.

Keep hitting the boss with thunder attacks, you'll get an attacking opportunity every so often, then command everybody to pile in and attack, then pull them back to defence again when the boss recovers.

Nothing fancy, but it will wear him down. With any luck you should get some golden glims to speed things up a bit.
  • Deleted user 2 March 2013 12:15:11
    Zackv4861 wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    Zackv4861 wrote:
    Lol. Not quite that easy. The Solloseum was like that in the end but up to end story game i was no where near that stage. You'll be constantly switching for a while yet.lol
    I found at the beginning, that i found it hard to keep on top of esters and swaines health, now they are fine, and oli takes the beating. I often have to resort to healing him alot.

Tinny and Meg are good defence familiars, and the ai seems to use them well. Obiviously being in charge of oli reduces your impact to soak up the damage.
  • enfilade 2 Mar 2013 12:39:14 218 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Progguitarist

The Drongo that Esther starts with knows Thunderspark, which only costs 3 MP to cast. Just spam that and see if you can find wind/electric elemantal weapons for your other familiars. Should do wonders :)
  • Zackv4861 2 Mar 2013 12:51:37 1,133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I did the same and used Drongo but i took drongo out almost imediately after i got Esther and replaced with other familiars so i had to grind a bit to level him up. For me at my pace i was playing Ni No Kuni this boss was the hardest in the game if you get what i mean.

Edited by Zackv4861 at 12:51:50 02-03-2013
  • enfilade 2 Mar 2013 13:54:17 218 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To be honest I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice, since I pretty much steam-rollered the whole game.

Every time the scientist who gave the task to find familiars turned up, I'd make sure to complete it before moving on. Thanks to my rotten luck with capture rates, I think I was pretty much constantly 4-6 levels above where the game wanted me at any given point. I genuinely cannot remember at what point all enemies had begun running away from me, but I'm pretty sure it was not long after Castaway Cove...
  • Gibroon 2 Mar 2013 14:00:42 1,328 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Porco Grosso was probably the hardest boss fight I've had (not much further in the game). Took me a good few attempts but it is just a case of being patient, using all-out-defence at the appropriate time to get some glims, then spamming Thunderspark and drongos special move when available. I was down to about 50 HP with no MP and only Oliver left in the party when I finally beat him with a special power up.

I've started on the historic hamelin but feel I really should of taken more MP and HP provisions. Think I'm near the top of the hill to get Mornstar but have no provisions left for HP and MP.

Definitely need to start doing more side quests when I eventually get back to Hamelin.

Absolutley loving the game and loads more still to do by the looks of it. :D
  • Gregolution 2 Mar 2013 14:35:42 3,850 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Does accuracy stat matter for magic attack familiars or is it only for chance to hit physical attacks? And I suppose evasion is for general dodging of attacks?

• Cappy 2 Mar 2013 16:53:59 12,096 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm nearing the end, I beat Shadar yesterday evening, the game does get a lot better the further you go, you get settled into the battle system, and by then you should have a lot of usable familiars so you can take educated guesses and tailor your lineup.

I haven't used any MP restoring items at all so far, and no HP restoring item more precious than a cheeseburger, so I'm pretty stocked up. If I had total control of the whole party I could probably get by with no provisions at all.

Overall, best JRPG story of the generation.

Edited by Cappy at 16:54:46 02-03-2013
  • Progguitarist 2 Mar 2013 20:10:02 10,508 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for the tips guys.

Loving the game. I just retrieved the mornstar. How far am I in?
  • Gregolution 2 Mar 2013 20:55:53 3,850 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Why is there no one with flipping enthusiasm in al mamoon ? Have a quest that requires it but no one to takes it from

• Zackv4861 2 Mar 2013 23:32:49 1,133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Why is there no one with flipping enthusiasm in al mamoon ? Have a quest that requires it but no one to takes it from
    There's a couple like that. Look in the other towns for it

Edited by Zackv4861 at 23:32:58 02-03-2013
  • drhcnip 3 Mar 2013 08:47:17 2,593 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    at the royal jelly boss - thinking i'm underlevelled at 21/22 as not making much headway into it - first real one that's held me up...any tips, folks?
  • Gregolution 3 Mar 2013 10:10:19 3,850 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So what's the point in making a stronger magic attack cake than you can buy in the shops if it costs so much more?

Ie: aren't I better off buying loads of single strength cake and feeding them instead of making double strength carrot cake? Same result but cheaper innit?

• drhcnip 3 Mar 2013 10:35:41 2,593 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    at the royal jelly boss - thinking i'm underlevelled at 21/22 as not making much headway into it - first real one that's held me up...any tips, folks?
    forget it....done it...after over hlf an hour as i ran out of coffee as was was waiting for glims to drop....am i underlevelled for the area, though? may go on a bit of a grind
  • Gregolution 3 Mar 2013 11:12:08 3,850 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Next question, does the next row of stamp card rewards unlock after you buy everything available or at a level? I don't really want to buy the jump ability if I don't have to etc.

Game is really sinking is teeth in now, loving it

• the_dudefather 3 Mar 2013 11:20:25 9,396 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yup, you have to buy everything for the next to unlock

enjoy skipping everywhere

(ง ͠į ͟ʖ ͡į)

• Cappy 3 Mar 2013 11:24:48 12,096 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    So what's the point in making a stronger magic attack cake than you can buy in the shops if it costs so much more?

Ie: aren't I better off buying loads of single strength cake and feeding them instead of making double strength carrot cake? Same result but cheaper innit?
    You'll get to the same place in the end perhaps, but the more appealing treats build up the stats and affection much more efficiently, there is also the issue of fullness, there are only so many treats you can feed a familiar before they are full for a while, the better quality treats give a far better boost to fullness ratio.

Better quality treats get the job done without you having to spend longer and longer feeding familiars the bog standard treats one by one over a long time.
  • Gregolution 3 Mar 2013 13:06:20 3,850 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers for the replies.

Very much liking the alchemy. Read a newspaper review on the game declaring it completely pointless and rubbish. They should stop newspapers doing gaming reviews....

• Deleted user 3 March 2013 14:12:39
    @Gregolution Only just realised its usefulness this morning when being forced to create the Candle Cutter. Itís awesome.

(My girlfriend watched me write this post, she looked very disappointed about my life. I donít think Iíve got much time left.)
  • Gregolution 3 Mar 2013 15:06:04 3,850 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lol

Taming one of those unripe banana dudes is proving impossible and i've gone up more levels than I wanted to. Absolutely despise grinding in a game like this to trivialise later content but want to finish this quest!

• Gregolution 3 Mar 2013 17:02:14 3,850 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    Yup, you have to buy everything for the next to unlock

enjoy skipping everywhere
    I don't believe this is true. I unlocked everything a and the next bar didn't appear, but something did appear when I got to the next part of the game. I think they're only hidden to prevent spoilers

• Mr_Sleep 3 Mar 2013 17:04:00 17,293 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Lol

Taming one of those unripe banana dudes is proving impossible and i've gone up more levels than I wanted to. Absolutely despise grinding in a game like this to trivialise later content but want to finish this quest!
    Try swapping between your party members while fighting them and you should get the chance. Worked for me anyway.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Gregolution 3 Mar 2013 18:05:57 3,850 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

Does that make a difference? Got it finally anyway.

My worries of over levelling were a joke anyway, I got utterly owned by everything in the next bit ;) which makes me happy.

• Mr_Sleep 3 Mar 2013 18:19:21 17,293 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I've read it does make a difference and it worked first time for me after spending much time grinding them. Could have been coincidence.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Rodriguez 5 Mar 2013 16:27:12 1,100 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm really enjoying this game at the moment, I've got to the point where the team are back in Motorville in order to help cure Tengri the Purple Dragon back in the other world.

On another point, could anyone give a suggestion regarding morphing. I've got Oliver's original Mite familiar ready to morph to its third and final form now, so any tips on whether to upgrade to a Dynamite or a Mermite? Damn choices :D!
  • Page

of 34 First / Last