Ni no Kuni: The Another World for PS3 - Studio Ghibli/Level 5 title Page 24

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• NewbieZilla 11 Feb 2013 22:04:20 239 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    What is it about Japanese games and not knowing when to end?
    The game knew just when to end. Don't know what you are talking about.
    Roddles wrote:
    Hated the combat system and inconsistent voice-text dialogue.
    I can't really help you with combat system issues, but in terms of the voice-text, I took off subtitles which helped that. Didn't like how with subtitles, the voices stopped if you went on to the next thing too early.
    Humperfunk wrote:Depends on the type you fight - I read somewhere that there is a breed that gives 20,000xp each...
    Those are the last stage of metamorphosis of the same familiar. They're near the end of the game.
    Emth wrote:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3ujZL_T7iOQMWh1R1c4QTZVS1U/edit?pli=1 A decent quality PDF version of the Wizard's Companion for anyone who, like myself, was unable to get hold of a Wizard's edition.
    That's handy. I ordered a regular edition, and a limited edition once I saw people posting that the wizards edition was something that'd be used a lot. The wizard edition was going to take a while to arrive, so I just played the regular to see how far I'd get/wanted to play sooner than waiting. I never really did need to open the Wizard Edition. I haven't opened it, or heck, the box it arrived in. This'll be handy to have on replays.
  • karlo87 12 Feb 2013 13:44:51 1,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm about to embark on the pre-end boss grind, i've read people having trouble at level 55-60 so i'm probably going for 65.

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• FuzzyDuck 12 Feb 2013 13:47:15 4,022 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Huzzah, finally got my (standard) copy of this this morning.

So far I've installed it and have been sitting in the audio language select for the last 10 minutes nodding my head to the music, it's fantastic!
  • bbvDJC 12 Feb 2013 17:02:33 1,714 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Quick question, if you have an evolved form of a familiar can you catch an unevolved form of the same type?
  • Zackv4861 12 Feb 2013 17:18:19 1,084 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bbvDJC wrote:
    Quick question, if you have an evolved form of a familiar can you catch an unevolved form of the same type?
    Yes!!!
  • Zackv4861 12 Feb 2013 20:03:23 1,084 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ok i just got 29240xp from Tokocloud in the flying palace in one fight. I like it here.
  • karlo87 12 Feb 2013 21:53:29 1,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Tokos are the shit

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• Zackv4861 12 Feb 2013 22:14:03 1,084 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dammit lost by a gnat's eyebrow right at the end of the final boss!!!!!!!!
  • Restart 12 Feb 2013 23:24:43 4,710 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finally caught a TokoToko Ė two in fact, in the same battle. Stuck one of them in my party and went out to battle some more. First thing I fought had another TokoToko in it, so I killed them all off. The XP comes flooding in, and my TokoToko doesn't even gain a single level from lvl 1 after 9000+ XP. O_o

It's gonna be a tough job levelling this little sucker up.
  • bbvDJC 12 Feb 2013 23:48:40 1,714 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been grinding my purrloin up after I had evolved it, I've just reached Hamstein just mopping up errands and bounties before I proceed any further.

Loving it!
  • Deleted user 13 February 2013 17:06:47
    Aye i just got to hamelin, and watched the cut scene there. Decided to trek all teh way back to ding dong dell and clear up alot of errands (made it row 2 \o/ ) and tidy up a few bounties. Now there, and have to trek back >_<
  • PrivateFloyd 14 Feb 2013 19:44:45 4,115 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only 1 hour in, this is sublime isn't it?!

Combat does seem a bit shonky but passable, can't wait to get stuck into this proper.

Mr. Drippy has had me chuckling a couple of times already, top stuff.

Goat is hungry.....

• Cappy 14 Feb 2013 20:16:57 11,901 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm glad to see it finally arrived. You've got a bit of catching up to do.

The battle system unfortunately isn't the best, Level 5 made some serious compromises to please people who don't like traditional turn based systems, unfortunately you really can't do both and succeed.

You just have to bear with it until you get some other party members, enemies getting somebody else to beat up gives you more time to access menus.
  • Restart 14 Feb 2013 20:28:21 4,710 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't understand the hate for the battle system. I personally think it's great. I much prefer the fast paced nature of the game by making all the combat real time, rather than the boring old JRPG system where the enemies would sit and wait for you to fart around in the menus for 5 minutes before taking their turn.

I'm not sure if many people have realised that you can press circle to cancel your attacks or specials, so that if something nasty is coming at you in the middle of your attack, you can quickly cancel and switch to defend/evade.
  • Cappy 14 Feb 2013 20:47:54 11,901 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats the same old bullshit that got us all these failed realtime hybrid battle systems this generation.

There's nothing inherently slow about turn based systems, their speed is entirely down to the player. You can slap down enemies that aren't worth your time in something like five seconds in Digital Devil Saga, versus the abysmal battle system in Final Fantasy XIII where no matter how comparatively weak an enemy is, your battle will take minutes whilst you despair watching the ATB bar crawl.

Without the realtime elements bolted onto Ni no Kuni you could have controlled the entire party and eliminated a lot of inefficiency that causes battles to drag or be lost, the ridiculous cool downs would have been eliminated also.

The amount of times I've died because I defended a 'super' attack from a boss, then they followed up with another, which I couldn't defend because defend was in cool down, whilst I'm switching to another familiar or Oliver, navigating to defend on their menu I get nailed because I ran out of time.

There's nothing inherently fun or interesting about navigating menus in realtime and getting hammered because you're cycling through to the trick you want.

This is the shockingly heavy price of appeasing more casual players who wrinkle up their little faces in disgust when they hear 'turn based'.

Edited by Cappy at 20:50:51 14-02-2013
  • Restart 14 Feb 2013 20:59:33 4,710 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I agree all those points are valid. There are a couple of spells that enemies cast which are completely impossible to defend/evade regardless of how quickly you cancel your attacks, like that AoE lightning one. I also don't understand why certain party members have access to abilities (like item usage) when others don't, and familiar withdrawal when switching characters is a pain.

I still don't think that makes a bad battle system though, but it could do with a few tweaks to make it as good as it can possibly be.
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Feb 2013 21:07:23 16,933 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I found the biggest struggle I've had in this game so far is the turban legends with their snow storm. There's one time when I was fighting three of them and a boss of sorts and they consistently destroyed me. I ended up having to come back quite a few levels-up later and even then I got a bit lucky with it really.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Zackv4861 16 Feb 2013 11:20:20 1,084 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just completed it. Yay!! Really enjoyed it.
  • Rodriguez 16 Feb 2013 16:22:12 1,092 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Zackv4861

Nice one boyo ;)! I only finally got my hands on this game earlier this week, so I'm still early on - I've just rescued that Cat King from a giant mouse :lol:! How long did it take for you to complete the game?
    ----------------------------------

I have to say that visually this really is a beautiful game, some really stunning art design, though that's not a great surprise given Studio Ghibli's involvement! I really like some of the characters too, Mr. Drippy has made me laugh quite a bit already with his off the cuff remarks towards other characters and Oliver!

I also totally agree with Cappy on the points he made about turn-based battling too. I think this game would have hugely benefited from the greater amount of control that turn-based battling offers over real time as it can get more than a bit fiddly and ultimately annoying trying to pick out commands or spells whilst desperately trying to avoid enemies lurching at you at the same time.
  • Zackv4861 16 Feb 2013 17:06:58 1,084 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Around the 65 hour mark i'd say. A bit annoying though as mid spell yours would get cancelled but still use MP to show cut scene of boss's magic attack.

Just mopping up some other bits now.

Enjoy it!!

Edited by Zackv4861 at 17:07:13 16-02-2013
  • epsim- 16 Feb 2013 17:45:50 1 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's even more annoying when you're spells get interrupted because one of your familiars got a golden orb.

40h in, great game thought.
  • Humperfunk 17 Feb 2013 19:55:05 2,109 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just defeated the final boss - 57 hours of gameplay, absolutely brilliant.

Good to see that my party were useful during the final boss fight...hang on actually they were as fucking useless as before! Saw that the recommended level for the boss was 60 so I did some grinding to level 80 and still had to do 90% of it by myself!

Other than the frustrating combat system, the rest of the game is so good that I can look past it and consider this not only one of the best PS3 games or best JRPGs this gen but quite simply one of the best games I've played. Remarkable stuff.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Humperfunk 17 Feb 2013 19:56:44 2,109 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well said Cappy re: the hybrid system. Zero Punctuation man said the same - no idea what the fascination is with them. Best battle systems are always turn based ones, wish they'd just stick with it - this game was screaming out for one.

• Zackv4861 17 Feb 2013 20:18:42 1,084 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @humperfunk spoiler alert is that the zodiarchs end boss? On the net people are referring to three endings - shadar, zodiarchs and another which i don't want to say incase you've not done it. Personally i think it has one ending, shadar just being a boss or end of chapter and the other which is just a boss.

I'm at 70% trophy level now still not done the annoying errand though
  • Humperfunk 17 Feb 2013 20:30:49 2,109 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Zackv4861 didzodriach so got the credits etc :)

Definitely going to go for all errands etc - managed to have 100% of them available ones done and bounties before then so all the extras opened up now! Only 42% trophies though

• Humperfunk 17 Feb 2013 20:32:56 2,109 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You going for the platinum?

• Page

of 34 First / Last