Ni no Kuni: The Another World for PS3 - Studio Ghibli/Level 5 title Page 23

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• Humperfunk 10 Feb 2013 17:26:06 2,132 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Was concerned about the "20 to 30 hour completion time", but after 35 hours and only just met the dragon ,sounds like it's the standard JRPG thing of "it's 20 to 30 if you rush through the story" rather than taking everything in.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Restart 10 Feb 2013 18:23:03 4,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm on 40 hours, and I'm currently searching for the first stone for Mornstar. The telling stone still reckons my task completion is around 50%, and there are still loads of familiars to catch and alchemy creations to make.
  • HiddenAway 10 Feb 2013 18:49:30 14,877 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    HiddenAway wrote:
    @Theticket Depends on your broadband speed - the store description has it down as (at least) 15.9GB

Best to run it overnight and if possible on a wired connection. Will take quite a while on any connection but running it at night means less chance of throttling.
    also you can set your console to turn off once downloaded and installed. its quite a helpful feature.

Does anyone know if theres an item/accessory that helps increases the chance of serenading. Trying to capture a banana thing for an errand, and it just isn't happening.
    Guess what - I was right :). It is a merit card reward - on the 3rd row. You'll need to claim all the rewards on the previous 2 rows first and then you'll need the cards to unlock the reward itself - though some of the other rewards on the 3rd row are quite good as well...

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• NewbieZilla 10 Feb 2013 19:01:46 239 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For some reason I was worried that the game wouldn't have enough points to buy all the stuff, and when I eventually unlocked the third and fourth row some of the stuff would cost a lot and I'd have to pick and choose so I didn't buy all the possible rewards. I wanted as many points for unlocking only those things I needed/wanted. I see now that buying the stuff was a prerequisite to getting the later rows. Hm. Ah well, I'll bear that in mind when I replay it.
  • Zackv4861 10 Feb 2013 19:14:54 1,084 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Last tier for merits are nice. I'm 50+ hours in now and only just starting to feel it may be coming to an end at some point. Just made clarion and in the marshes. I'd recomend to anyone to do the bounty's and errands as you do for the merits obviously.

I've really enjoyed this and can see me doing so for a while yet.
  • Restart 10 Feb 2013 23:55:05 4,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Holy crap. Anyone else found the TokoToko yet? They are standard mobs, but they give you 8000xp each. Just fought two at once and got 17,000xp, which jumped all my characters and all my familiars about 3-4 levels each.

Edited by Restart at 23:55:33 10-02-2013
  • Humperfunk 11 Feb 2013 00:04:38 2,132 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nah not met them yet - I know what area apparently you can fight them in but never had one in a fight there annoyingly :(

• neilka 11 Feb 2013 01:46:40 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What is it about Japanese games and not knowing when to end?

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Zackv4861 11 Feb 2013 06:36:23 1,084 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Restart wrote:
    Holy crap. Anyone else found the TokoToko yet? They are standard mobs, but they give you 8000xp each. Just fought two at once and got 17,000xp, which jumped all my characters and all my familiars about 3-4 levels each.
    Only 8000xp i got 9300xp each. XP doesn't change as you level up does it? They're meant to be pretty good familiars too. I spent a couple of hours leveling up and metamorphing some familiars there yesturday. I thought Ulk spat out some XP but it's nothing compared to Tokotoko and they're easy.
  • Zackv4861 11 Feb 2013 06:36:26 1,084 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Double post

Edited by Zackv4861 at 06:37:06 11-02-2013
  • FanBoysSuck 11 Feb 2013 08:55:29 1,477 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was wondering if the combat had a pause mode that I'm missing? It seems that I need to be focusing on two things at once, the menu wheel and controlling my familiar. Blocking magic outside of boss battles is a pain as by the time I've notices I'm bring targeted and scrolled to the defend command I've already been hit. It's even worse when you've got a familiar that doesn't have defend!

Aside from the combat I'm quite enjoying this and it looks like I'm not the only one who keeps mishearing drippy swear! It must be the accent, I always assume I'm being swore at when I talk to a Welshman ;)

For the emperor!

• GuiltySpark 11 Feb 2013 08:56:25 6,363 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SO IS THIS GOOD THEN PEOPLE?

Get bent.

• Roddles 11 Feb 2013 09:30:35 1,839 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hated the combat system and inconsistent voice-text dialogue.

For me no, but everybody else seems to be gushing over it.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 11 Feb 2013 09:33:37 10,854 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still got a sealed copy available for anyone who is tempted. Just listed it on Fleabay but am happy to withdraw for a quality EGer :)
  • Humperfunk 11 Feb 2013 11:22:17 2,132 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Zackv4861 wrote:
    Restart wrote:
    Only 8000xp i got 9300xp each. XP doesn't change as you level up does it? They're meant to be pretty good familiars too. I spent a couple of hours leveling up and metamorphing some familiars there yesturday. I thought Ulk spat out some XP but it's nothing compared to Tokotoko and they're easy.
    Depends on the type you fight - I read somewhere that there is a breed that gives 20,000xp each...

Where abouts did you find the ones you fought? Planning a levelling up sesh.

• PrivateFloyd 11 Feb 2013 11:29:52 4,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    Still got a sealed copy available for anyone who is tempted. Just listed it on Fleabay but am happy to withdraw for a quality EGer :)
    GAME seems to be have fucked me over well and truly. Ordered Wednesday when it was in stock. Got the shipped email same day.

If it doesnt come tomorrow and you are still mindful of letting it go Il take it. Work mail comes in at 10am usually.

Il let you know.

Goat is hungry.....

• Kangoo 11 Feb 2013 11:48:01 1,016 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Managed to pick up a copy on Friday after Amazon messed up my order, only put in about 3 hours but absolutely loving it so far.

Thought the intro was awesome, a brilliant way to bring you into the game and introduce the characters, the look is just stunning and new gameplay elements are introduced slowly building up the complexity slowly.

Getting into the battle system, pretty easy so far but will see how it pans out. Just got into Ding Dong Dell and can't wait to put a bit more into it tonight, maybe an early finish from work.

Really does remind me of 16bit era jrpgs which is the best compliment I can give it, not sure why but I keep thinking of the first time I played Lunar on my Mega CD :redface:, which I loved back in the day.

Edit: typo

Edited by Kangoo at 11:48:22 11-02-2013

PSN: Adwab2

• Emth 11 Feb 2013 13:21:59 132 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3ujZL_T7iOQMWh1R1c4QTZVS1U/edit?pli=1 A decent quality PDF version of the Wizard's Companion for anyone who, like myself, was unable to get hold of a Wizard's edition.
  • Restart 11 Feb 2013 14:17:22 4,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Zackv4861 wrote:
    Restart wrote:
    Depends on the type you fight - I read somewhere that there is a breed that gives 20,000xp each...

In the area to the West of the graveyard area (I forget what the zone is called). They are found in the area that leads up to what looks like an old mayan temple.
  • bbvDJC 11 Feb 2013 14:59:56 1,714 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Some of the tame rates are so low. :(
  • Short-Round 11 Feb 2013 15:24:47 1,181 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Short-Round wrote:
    Is it normal for Zavvi to send games out via a courier instead of Royal Mail these days? Ordered this yesterday (it was 34.99, but with a Birthday code they sent me, got it down to 30.81), and this morning they've sent me a dispatch email, with a link to DPD tracking.
    This arrived today, via next-day courier O_o Seems like overkill from Zavvi.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2013 15:31:48
    HiddenAway wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    HiddenAway wrote:
    @Theticket Depends on your broadband speed - the store description has it down as (at least) 15.9GB

Best to run it overnight and if possible on a wired connection. Will take quite a while on any connection but running it at night means less chance of throttling.
    also you can set your console to turn off once downloaded and installed. its quite a helpful feature.

Does anyone know if theres an item/accessory that helps increases the chance of serenading. Trying to capture a banana thing for an errand, and it just isn't happening.
    Guess what - I was right :). It is a merit card reward - on the 3rd row. You'll need to claim all the rewards on the previous 2 rows first and then you'll need the cards to unlock the reward itself - though some of the other rewards on the 3rd row are quite good as well...
    good to hear :) should make some of the later searches a lot easier. havn't been able to play this for a couple of days, so looking forward to putting in a couple of hours after work later on. I just got the boat, so sailing ahoy!
  • Humperfunk 11 Feb 2013 15:58:12 2,132 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Restart wrote:
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Zackv4861 wrote:
    Restart wrote:

In the area to the West of the graveyard area (I forget what the zone is called). They are found in the area that leads up to what looks like an old mayan temple.
    Top man, cheers

• Cappy 11 Feb 2013 16:47:06 11,901 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Emth wrote:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3ujZL_T7iOQMWh1R1c4QTZVS1U/edit?pli=1 A decent quality PDF version of the Wizard's Companion for anyone who, like myself, was unable to get hold of a Wizard's edition.
    Thanks!

It's very nicely done, I wonder if it comes from the publisher themselves or somebody has taken it directly from the disc.

412MB, so good enough quality for you to layout and print your own Wizard's Guide.

Edited by Cappy at 19:39:40 11-02-2013
  • PrivateFloyd 11 Feb 2013 16:58:01 4,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you have an iPad put it on a comic viewer like ComicZeal.

Thanks for the link.

Maybe when GAME actually deliver mine I can play it.

Goat is hungry.....

• enfilade 11 Feb 2013 18:45:51 211 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've put in 30 hours since this arrived on Wednesday and I am loving it so far.

I notice that there't been much talk of familiars in this thread - any particular favourites out there? Ones to avoid?

I for one was thoroughly pissed off when the game forced me to evolve my Mite in the tutorial. I was really rather keen on getting it to level 50 and learning all his moves before taking the plunge. In the end I just left him to stagnate in my retreat so I could focus on familiars I actually had control over :/.

One of my big faves thus far is the Hullaballee, whose defence stats are through the roof and learns some nifty AoE spells pretty early on.
  • Restart 11 Feb 2013 18:59:58 4,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The cat you get outside Castaway Cove (Purrlioner, was it?) are brilliant for damage dealing, damage avoiding (if your timing is good with evade), and ability interruption. I've got both types fully evolved, but the Puss in Boats is my favourite.

The Tin Man appears to be the best tank in the game. His defensive stats are through the roof, but his accuracy is shot. Used him on the Rank A arena, and he was my only dude left, but took only 2 damage per hit from the remaining mobs.
  • SteveV 11 Feb 2013 19:23:30 64 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wish the god damn AI would stop stealing glims.
  • Zackv4861 11 Feb 2013 20:42:26 1,084 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I agree so far i love puss in boats but also use evolved Mite as good def and atk and acc at this point.
  • Page

of 34 First / Last