Ni no Kuni: The Another World for PS3 - Studio Ghibli/Level 5 title Page 18

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• Zackv4861 4 Feb 2013 13:31:30 1,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't have an issue with MP i'm in the fairy place and i ensure i collect enough glims to get me through. It's not infinate but does well enough.

I did read the other day pushing square allows all party members to block. Is this right and triangle to all out attack?

Stick with it. The battle system didn't quite stick with me at first but now it's fine. The ally AI is poor though. Something like FFXII gambit system would've been nice
  • Emth 4 Feb 2013 13:55:55 132 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is interesting to see puzzles which require mana when there is no free mana re-filler nearby. Definitely would not see that in many current gen games.
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Feb 2013 14:22:24 17,074 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Emth wrote:
    It is interesting to see puzzles which require mana when there is no free mana re-filler nearby. Definitely would not see that in many current gen games.
    Same as the lack of auto save...not that this has caused me any consternation, of course! I just completely forget to save and this went rather badly once. Save loads, that's my advice!

You are a factory of sadness.

• ZuluHero 4 Feb 2013 15:07:37 4,164 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ror1984 wrote:
    I can't say I've had any issue with health/mana in battle/dungeons yet, though I have only just reached Al Mamoon, so maybe it becomes more of an issue later on.

At the moment, if I'm getting low I'll get into a battle and get the enemies down to one, then just run around for a while (switching between familiars/Oliver as need be). Drippy throws out green and blue glims at a fairly regular pace, so I just run around 'til he does and collect a few. Sure, it takes a few minutes every now and then, but it's a good way to top up for free, and I've not yet used a single mana item. Does he stop doing this later in the game?
    You do realise that this is poor design? I have to admit that I do this too, especially when you need mana to solve an out-of-battle puzzle, but a well designed game shouldn't make the player 'cheat' the game in order to progress.
  • Humperfunk 4 Feb 2013 15:08:30 2,249 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Really enjoying it and up to 15 hours now. Another gripe that has really developed though is the voice acting for Oliver when a battle starts. "LE' DO EEEHD", sounds like a deaf person saying "Let's do it".

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• GeezaTap 4 Feb 2013 15:14:03 289 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I kinda want this, but it seems impossible to get a hold of. Game have the boxes out with a 'PSN Code 49.99' sticker on them. Eeeeer no thanks.

Amazon sold out until 19th Feb as well :(
  • Cannon_Fodder 4 Feb 2013 15:15:59 219 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Around 2 hours in, enjoying it quite a bit so far. Chosen to play with Japanese audio. As much as I like the English dub and think they've done a pretty good job it's how I've always watched Ghibli movies.

It reminds me a bit of Dragon Quest 9, or at least the parts where you travel between towns/areas/dungeons.

But yeah, can't really comment on much. Initial opinions are it's a bright, colourful fun RPG. Something I don't see that often on PS3. Very impressed with Level 5 again.

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• Restart 4 Feb 2013 15:47:35 4,720 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having played for 15 hours now and got deeper into the familiar system, I've come to the realisation that this game is basically a console version of Pokemon, as designed by Level 5, and drawn by Studio Ghibli. And it's fucking awesome.
  • Cannon_Fodder 4 Feb 2013 16:01:38 219 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Restart I drew that comparison too, especially when it came to the familiars and having a set number of abilities which they must learn/forget. I guess it's 'slightly' different since they can learn 8 and you can choose 4 to use in battle, but none the less it made me grin with nostalgia.

Edited by Cannon_Fodder at 16:02:49 04-02-2013

• onestepfromlost 4 Feb 2013 16:02:44 2,070 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tried the demo last night. Now do o just suck or is that forest boss quite tough for my little familier guy?
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 16:32:19
    Love the game. Hate the battle system.
  • Zackv4861 4 Feb 2013 17:04:03 1,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    Tried the demo last night. Now do o just suck or is that forest boss quite tough for my little familier guy?
    Yeah my first time was hard. (Sounds wrong!!) It's not just a straight fight clicking attack till the boss is dead. You have to defend at the right time or healing will use all your mana and you die. I found the forest boss Oliver easier and used fire to kill him with the odd yellow orb thing.
  • Cannon_Fodder 4 Feb 2013 17:09:19 219 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Forest Boss was rather easy. What Zack said is pretty much what I did. I had just leveled up before fighting him so my mana was replenished, but I just threw fireballs at him and then when I ran out of mana swapped to my Familiar and went on the attack. Gold orb dropped, KO!

• Aretak 4 Feb 2013 17:10:19 10,354 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    The problem with the demo is that it doesn't really explain the battle system at all. It doesn't even mention that you have full control of your character and can run around as you please, which is important for that boss as he hits too hard to just stand there toe to toe with him.

The trick is to keep on the move, defend when he uses his big attack and then get your hits in when he's tired afterwards. You can also switch control to Oliver with L1 at any time to heal up, and the green/blue orbs on the ground will restore some health/mana too.
  • onestepfromlost 4 Feb 2013 17:14:58 2,070 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ah so i can switch to oliver, yeah i tried running around but any time he was hitting me with his normal attacks it was taking huge chunks off, managed to defend the big attack, but was wondering when to get my hits in when even his normal ones are smashing me. ill try hitting him on the big counter.

does oliver cast spells at this point then?I thought i was just stuck with the wee familiar.
  • Humperfunk 4 Feb 2013 19:26:23 2,249 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    Love the game. Hate the battle system.
    This. The combat is just screaming to be pure turn based, as it is it just becomes a confusing mess.
    Just had to do a major boss battle with just Oliver and his familiars because my party members died immediately through being fucking inept.

• Aretak 4 Feb 2013 19:44:19 10,354 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really don't understand why there seems to have been a move away from you controlling your entire party in JRPGs in recent years. Persona 3 was often hugely frustrating due to the AI of your team being spectacularly dumb.

It's also amazing to me that nobody has copied the Gambit system from Final Fantasy XII. That was the absolute perfect way to do the AI party members thing.
  • Humperfunk 4 Feb 2013 19:50:42 2,249 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Goodfella

Pretty much spot on.

Literally just been given the "all defend" command now though, finally.

• Daeltaja 4 Feb 2013 20:30:16 1,082 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Have had a really annoying combat bug crop up more than a few times now, where all abilities are greyed out or cant select anything, usually after swapping allies. Just wiped on a rare after a 30min battle cause of it. Fudge.
  • gooner77 4 Feb 2013 20:46:24 767 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I feel like I massively screwed up by not preordering this for release day. Have preordered at shopto and will be watching princess mononoke and spirited away in preparation.

Glad to see this kind of game doing well. I need something fresh and new right now, gaming wise
  • Daeltaja 4 Feb 2013 21:24:28 1,082 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Goodfella defo not, i cast an ability with a familiar and when it was done it was stuck on the spot with the spell it just cast greyed out, completely unable to move for a good 20sec while the boss killed me. Happened when switching party members too.

Another gripe, all of my familiars are pussies minus the stock ones that came with each ally. Even geared out, levelled up. Few hits and they're dead. Anyone else having trouble with this? Most of my battles are spent kiting mobs around while I cheese mechanics.

Plus really WTB "use mana sparingly" tactic. Party members literally OOM 10 sec into any encounter.

On the other hand, just got my boat and its awesome!

Love hate at its finest.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Feb 2013 21:56:19 25,878 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm getting on with it fine to be honest. Had a couple of bosses that have given minor headaches, but normal mobs are fine.

Still using my original Mite, but the pirate cat and skeleton dude I've got are also excellent. Magic based ones then come into their own in the boss fights.

The bounty hunts are good training for the bosses. They require more tactics than the mobs and get you used to switching around, without being as punishing as the bosses.
  • Daeltaja 4 Feb 2013 22:00:34 1,082 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yup, theres the bug again. Switch to Esther and i cant control her. Shes still moving around though and all her abilities are greyed out, have to swap back to Oliver to fix it. Gonna have a look around and see if others are experiencing it.
  • Page

of 34 First / Last