Ni no Kuni: The Another World for PS3 - Studio Ghibli/Level 5 title Page 17

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• spamdangled 3 Feb 2013 14:37:51 27,269 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah the book in the wizard edition really is beautiful, you can tell they pushed the boat out for it. Really puts to shame the tat other companies think they can get away with shoving inside a box and charging an extra 30-40 quid for.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Zackv4861 3 Feb 2013 16:32:01 1,082 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The towns are a resonable size. The ones i've been to anyway. Not massive but a good size. Plenty to talk to treasure to find&missions to do.

Enemies do respawn but won't fight you as you level up as you get to strong for them.

It does have a Zelda feel to it a little but not as boring and the action is far more evenly spread. (Not that i dislike Zelda but dungeons do become a grind)

Edited by Zackv4861 at 16:33:52 03-02-2013
  • elvenscroll 3 Feb 2013 16:32:59 1,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    EuroStalker wrote:
    I plan on getting this game in the next few weeks. A few questions...

Are the towns quite large and enjoyable to mess about it?

Do enemies respawn?

Is there a concept of dungeons like Zelda where all the action takes place?
    The only town I've seen so far has been sizeable with plenty to do.

Enemies do respawn. Usually if you wander far enough away from them.

There are dungeons. I would compare them to old final fantasy dungeons rather than Zelda though.

Edit. Too slow again!

Edited by elvenscroll at 16:33:44 03-02-2013

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• Ror1984 3 Feb 2013 16:38:22 2,820 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    elvenscroll wrote:
    Is this a Namco thing? Could they possibly have underestimated demand this much?
    Yes and yes. They almost always do when it comes to games like this ('Tales of' series says hi).

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Progguitarist 3 Feb 2013 17:05:21 10,400 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Would love to play this but I'm not paying 60 euros in gamestop for the privilege nor 75 on play.com either.
  • SYS64738 3 Feb 2013 17:17:37 1,577 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    75 Euros on Play.com, wow. Makes the PSN offering look like a right bargain... Always thought Play offered good deals but things must have changed (havent used them in years). I'm considering getting this over PSN, since HMV shut their doors the trade in option isnt there anymore, given the remaining shops tend to give you buttons only for most games so may as well not bother.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Feb 2013 17:17:55 25,410 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It works out about 35 on the US PSN store.
  • Humperfunk 3 Feb 2013 18:37:30 1,922 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Great game, although every boss battle involves your ally dying every three hits because there isn't enough time to switch to "defend" between multiple characters when the boss is about to unleash a big attack, bit shit. Only complaint though.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• neilka 3 Feb 2013 18:47:17 15,641 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bum out?
  • Flying_Pig 3 Feb 2013 18:49:46 10,683 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seems like everyone's playing this but me. Of the 11 peeps on my FL online earlier - 6 were playing this :)
  • Humperfunk 3 Feb 2013 18:51:14 1,922 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Bum out?
    11 hours on the clock, every second with my bum out son

• StarchildHypocrethes 3 Feb 2013 18:53:32 25,410 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Great game, although every boss battle involves your ally dying every three hits because there isn't enough time to switch to "defend" between multiple characters when the boss is about to unleash a big attack, bit shit. Only complaint though.
    Bafflingly they wait until around 20 hours in before giving you access to an "All Defend" command, which makes things a bit easier.

Having the girl set to "Keep us alive" or whatever it is seems to keep her and the other guy alive a bit longer.
  • Humperfunk 3 Feb 2013 19:08:38 1,922 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Haha that is a bit stupid, cheers for letting me know. Look forward to getting that command!

• ZuluHero 4 Feb 2013 09:10:39 4,019 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ok, 6 hours in, level 11, 3 familiars and just reached the city in the desert. Not sure i'm really feeling it at the moment.

Battle system is ok and the graphics are some of the most beautiful i've ever seen in a game (its like playing a studio ghibli cartoon), but there are loads of things that are starting to grate.

Enemies running faster than you resulting in constant pre-emptive attacks against you. The shared mana/HP pool. Out of battle spells using your mana pool, yet requiring you to have enough mana to use those spells to complete puzzles in order to progress.

The plot is so sedentary. There are a couple of plot points that pique my interest, but by-and-large I'm not sure it's really grabbing me. I hear the game is only 30 hours long, so i'll push through to 10 hours and see if we get more drama.

Edited by ZuluHero at 09:15:01 04-02-2013
  • KingOfSpain 4 Feb 2013 09:39:53 5,187 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm about 8 hours in so far and really enjoying it. Just completed the trails.

The characters, voices, and animation are all great, and I'm enjoying the slow nature of the story. It's a nice change from every other game I've played recently.

The battle system is taking some time to get used to. It's a little too frantic at the moment and I seem to be fighting with the controller. I think I would prefer it to be turn based. I'm sure it's just a case of me being shit and I need to get used to it.

I have got one question though.

Is there any way of looking up each enemy during the battle? It would be handy to be able to see what each creatures are good/bad against as you are fighting them, rather than waiting until you are back into the world map so you can refer to the talking stone face thingy.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Feb 2013 09:44:46 25,410 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At the start of the fight each character has a little symbol in the bottom corner depicting either the sun, moon, star or planet - which gives you an indication of which familiar to use against each.

Can't actually remember if they're displayed throughout or not.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 09:45:18 04-02-2013
  • KingOfSpain 4 Feb 2013 09:50:16 5,187 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I've noticed that. I was more thinking about the Fire/water/storm/light/dark stuff.
  • DaM 4 Feb 2013 09:50:31 12,897 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    At the start of the fight each character has a little symbol in the bottom corner depicting either the sun, moon, star or planet - which gives you an indication of which familiar to use against each.

Can't actually remember if they're displayed throughout or not.
    They are displayed for the normal baddies, but not for the bosses. I haven't spotted them anyway.

I made the mistake of letting my 9 yr old start his own save. He's about 3 hours ahead of me and sits giving my unwanted tips and advice. I thought it would be good for reading practice, but I've found out he just skips through all story scenes to get to the battles, he hasn't a clue what's going on....
  • Daeltaja 4 Feb 2013 10:16:06 1,034 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It took 10 hours to start kicking in for me, but really enjoying it now. Boss battles and 5 stamp bounties are really testing me now. Theres a couple things that grate with the combat system.

1. That short cooldown after using a provision or spell, where you cant do anything, not even change ally, before the actual cooldown, hurts the flow
    2. When i swap ally, it auto-recalls their active familiar
    3. Allys not using provisions (maybe a tactic changes this?)
    4. Drippy cutscenes during boss battles highlighting weakspots and openings
    5. Mana is literally always an issue. Tea is very expensive. As are most abilities.
    6. Allys familiar managment is poor. Putting out weak familiars which can only take 2 hits no matter which tactic is on.

Some minor gripes, generally i really enjoy the combat. Could really do with more tactical options.

Edited by Daeltaja at 10:18:11 04-02-2013
  • Ror1984 4 Feb 2013 11:46:49 2,820 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't say I've had any issue with health/mana in battle/dungeons yet, though I have only just reached Al Mamoon, so maybe it becomes more of an issue later on.

At the moment, if I'm getting low I'll get into a battle and get the enemies down to one, then just run around for a while (switching between familiars/Oliver as need be). Drippy throws out green and blue glims at a fairly regular pace, so I just run around 'til he does and collect a few. Sure, it takes a few minutes every now and then, but it's a good way to top up for free, and I've not yet used a single mana item. Does he stop doing this later in the game?

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• JoeGBallad 4 Feb 2013 12:08:49 383 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The MP thing was an issue for me at first. Filling it is very expensive and the AI characters are very trigger happy with their abilities.

I have found, though, that enemies drop more glims if you use good tactics against them. Defending at the right time, using abilities they're weak against etc. will get you more glims in return, so you can keep yourself healthy and lethal.

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• Scimarad 4 Feb 2013 12:20:50 8,530 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I seem to remember a lot of older JRPGs making MP regenerating items either expensive and rare to the point that I was reluctant to use them at all and ended up with tons at the end of the game.

Still, I also remember refining an FF8 card into 99 megalixirs; Made the last fight a little easy...
  • munki83 4 Feb 2013 12:32:23 1,397 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This may be the only game I regret not going for the collectors edition. It would of been worth it for the book as from what I read in the game its quite charming and useful and would of been great to have a physical copy to have by me while I'm playing.

The game is great so far I've only just left the first area so the game is still in "tutorial" mode.

What I like about the game so far is its aesthetics and world design. Its a place I like to run about in and the voice acting is great. Mr Drippy's welsh accent adds to the charm of the game for me and its localisations like this that put most games to shame. The game meechanics are pretty deep for a "kids" game but not stupidly deep where it will swallow you whole I have had a tendency to rely on the starting familiar who I named cockbag.

What I'm not liking about the game is mana management. Well its not the games fault but my own but there is a puzzle later on I wasted a lot of mana on because I was a little to dense to see the obvious solution.

Oh another good point one of the pig eneies looks like the pig from the simpsons movie
  • Widge Moderator 4 Feb 2013 12:35:02 13,252 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    I seem to remember a lot of older JRPGs making MP regenerating items either expensive and rare to the point that I was reluctant to use them at all and ended up with tons at the end of the game.

Still, I also remember refining an FF8 card into 99 megalixirs; Made the last fight a little easy...
    Pretty much an echo of my experiences!

Although I found (in FF7), tents were a great MP restorer and not too pricey.

The best thing Square has done in recent years is find ways to remove MP from its games.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Scimarad 4 Feb 2013 13:00:43 8,530 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, this has overshadowed it a bit but I'm also really enjoying FFXIII-2 much, much more than the game it's a sequel to.

Huh, that's interesting in a really irritating way. I'm not sure if it's this game or the PS3 in general but apparently the game doesn't pause should your controller suddenly turn itself off in the middle of a boss fight :/

Edited by Scimarad at 13:19:20 04-02-2013
  • Page

of 34 First / Last