Ni no Kuni: The Another World for PS3 - Studio Ghibli/Level 5 title Page 16

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• andijames 2 Feb 2013 10:33:13 2,714 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmm I'm downloading the demo as we speak but I have a feeling I'll be off into town later to pick this up! Hope grainger have some copies in as they're my best bet where I live. I miss dedicated indie game stores they were golden for these situations.

vivir el momento

• Daeltaja 2 Feb 2013 10:56:45 1,045 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The save points are a little sparse for my liking. Easy to go a few hours playtime without coming across one (without having to backtrack loads)

12 hours in and after a slow start, its really coming into its own.
  • Mr_Sleep 2 Feb 2013 11:18:09 16,933 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Daeltaja wrote:
    The save points are a little sparse for my liking. Easy to go a few hours playtime without coming across one (without having to backtrack loads)

I agree, they can be, there is the option of saving in towns and the like using start after pressing triangle but there wasn't a save point after a boss battle and I then went and died a few minutes afterwards. Just could have done with putting another one down there for donkeys like me!

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 2 February 2013 14:07:47
    Has anyone turned of the guiding star? Been sent to a find a fish and well... yeah it leads you rigjt there.
  • TheBear 2 Feb 2013 14:22:32 4,509 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    TheBear wrote:
    Youer, ouer
    I thought you were abusing my post just before yours earlier on, but I didn't understand... I do now :)

Ha! It's the only constant mistake in an otherwise brilliant translation! Wonder if they can fix it now? No biggy but it does stand out like a sore thumb!
  • Ror1984 2 Feb 2013 15:01:16 3,071 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    "There's tidy!"

I love Drippy, he might just end up being one of my favourite characters in any game by the end of this :D

@joelstinton Yeah, I turned it off not long after starting the game. It's a bit too handhold-y.

Edited by Ror1984 at 15:01:53 02-02-2013

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• waggy79 2 Feb 2013 15:35:34 946 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I cheated on one of the trials. Hated doing it but it made no sense.

Was finding the constant battles a little tedious but as im progressing its getting better.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 2 Feb 2013 15:40:48 25,602 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Daeltaja wrote:

You can save absolutely anywhere other than in a dungeon. Just press start when in the menu.
  • neilka 2 Feb 2013 15:49:04 15,849 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheBear wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    TheBear wrote:
    Youer, ouer
    I thought you were abusing my post just before yours earlier on, but I didn't understand... I do now :)

Ha! It's the only constant mistake in an otherwise brilliant translation! Wonder if they can fix it now? No biggy but it does stand out like a sore thumb!
    It's not a mistake, it's representing the Welsh pronunciation. If it uses the same subtitles with the Japanese voices I can see why that would be confusing though.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Pinky_Floyd 2 Feb 2013 16:03:08 7,685 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What a deliciously gorgeous game. Pretty in so many ways.
  • Scimarad 2 Feb 2013 17:22:30 8,536 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've seen so many videos of this but it STILL managed to surprise me somehow.
  • Short-Round 2 Feb 2013 18:31:40 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone try to get this from the shops today, any joy? Wondering if I should make a trip to the supermarket.
  • DaM 2 Feb 2013 19:08:28 12,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    I take it we have a UK English version? The Yanks aren't going to get Welsh are they? They are missing out if they don't, it's excellent!
    The English dub is the same in the US, and most reviews I've read from over there have singled him out as being the best character in the game.
    I wonder if any Americas visiting Wales will think they've stumbled upon Fairyland....
  • StarchildHypocrethes 2 Feb 2013 20:11:02 25,602 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Set your tactics so that party members don't use abilities for normal mobs, then whack them back on for bosses.
  • Zackv4861 2 Feb 2013 20:40:19 1,084 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Question!! Is it worth using stat boosting food on familars before metamorphing? Do the stats carry over or are all base stats the same and it's been a waste?
  • JinTypeNoir 3 Feb 2013 00:37:24 4,377 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    mana runs out super fast in a dungeon and you're left with your vastly weaker standard attack, using up a lot of my bread rations to restore health in between battles while desperately trying to make it to the save stone just before the boss.

It's not like you can avoid enemies on the really narrow paths either, you effectively have to fight pretty much every one of them.
    That's kind of the whole point. I find not using special attacks until the boss boring so I try to make good decisions on when and when not to use them. If this becomes a trite decision than the joy of roleplaying goes down a notch. Ni no Kuni is made like older RPGs in this regard. Balanced so that if you've been following the level curve you should either escape by the skin of your teeth or fail.

Later on in the game, this changes drastically. Not for the easier either. It gets much harder.
  • spamdangled 3 Feb 2013 02:54:45 27,276 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have had the wizard edition sitting on my desk the last couple pf days. The hardback book is stunning, you can really see they put a lot of effort into it unlike many other so called "collectors" editions. Not played it yet, saving up for when i know i can really invest the time in it. My cats took an instant liking to the plushy as well so i had to box it back up and hide it.

Ive heard the story isnt that long, only about 20-30 hours. Is that about right?

(Avoided this thread so far for fear of spoilers)

Edited by darkmorgado at 02:56:50 03-02-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• elvenscroll 3 Feb 2013 08:41:25 1,381 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    even the standard edition is in short supply.
    I was going to try and pick up a copy on release day but based on these kind of posts I ordered it from Shopto on Thursday. I'm so glad I did now, as the few places that have any stock left want silly money for it.

Is this a Namco thing? Could they possibly have underestimated demand this much?

I absolutely love the game and Drippy especially.

Edited by elvenscroll at 08:42:08 03-02-2013

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• Scimarad 3 Feb 2013 09:09:02 8,536 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well if this game has proved anything to me it's that I haven't fallen out of love with JRPGs, it's just that I haven't played any decent ones in forever.
  • Carlo 3 Feb 2013 09:11:05 17,996 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    @Daeltaja Gah! I'm tempted to pop into GAME (as that's the only shop locally stocking new titles. Thanks HMV / Blockbuster...) and whack some money down on the Wizards' Edition but I have spent nearly 300 on Lego this month already...
    How much is it?

PSN ID: Djini

• Aretak 3 Feb 2013 10:29:36 10,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    On another note, why is mana so ridiculously expensive, even then it only replenishes 10MP! I can understand the devs not wanting you to stock up on them and blitz through enemies with special attacks, but still...

It just doesn't feel balanced, mana runs out super fast in a dungeon and you're left with your vastly weaker standard attack, using up a lot of my bread rations to restore health in between battles while desperately trying to make it to the save stone just before the boss.
    The Persona games are balanced in the same way, with mana (or SP) being extremely limited and items to restore it being rare and expensivev. Sounds like they'll have prepared me well for playing this.
  • Zackv4861 3 Feb 2013 11:11:19 1,084 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My only gripe with the game is lower level enemies run away from you when you get strong. Tryinv get a fight to tame monsters is a nightmare. Suggestions???
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Feb 2013 11:35:34 25,602 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wait for them to turn around and then jump them from behind.

Sound real life advice too.

The merit awards that make you move faster and make it easier to surprise monsters obviously make this easier.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Feb 2013 11:35:53 25,602 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not in real life though.
  • Zackv4861 3 Feb 2013 11:53:56 1,084 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lol. Cheers.
  • Humperfunk 3 Feb 2013 13:06:30 2,120 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• ChiefGB 3 Feb 2013 14:32:16 884 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's a wonderful game, seems like the story is a much more "human" tale then most RPGs (if that makes sense).
    slightly gutted now that my companion book is Japanese as in game it looks beautiful, really wished I'd gone wizards now. not opened my real one as I don't think I can handle the disappointment :[
    if you're on the fence about this one get it bought now while u can.

Edited by ChiefGB at 14:33:17 03-02-2013
  • Page

of 34 First / Last