Dragon Age DLC - any must-haves?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Phreedh 22 Jun 2010 09:42:18 683 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just bought Dragon Age (360 version) this friday and started playing yesterday evening. Need some help deciding on the DLC though. I suppose it's like with Oblivion and Fallout 3, some DLC meshes into the main game and really should be in from day 1 for full enjoyment - while other DLC is more of a stand-alone affair (like the Awakening expansion, maybe?).

I suppose Warden's Keep and The Stone Prisoner are of the "plugin" kind of DLC, while Return to Ostagar, Leliana's Song and Darkspawn Chronicles are more stand-alone?

What about the Awakening - does it add to the whole game (as Broken Steel, for Fallout 3) or is it more of a Shivering Isles kind of expansion (ie more self contained)?
  • Deleted user 22 June 2010 09:46:42
    Awakenings is decent and a fair chunk of extra content (c15-20hrs) but it is expensive (and a tad buggy on x360 at least).

I wouldn't bother with any of the others, I wish I could have my money back for Warden's Keep, for instance.
  • LionheartDJH 22 Jun 2010 09:49:30 19,486 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Awakening isn't that expensive Snakehips. Maybe the download version on XBL is, but the disc version can be had for about 15 these days. I'm still refusing to buy it at the moment though as the main game bugged my ending so I didn't get the one I wanted.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Phreedh 22 Jun 2010 09:53:32 683 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any DLC will be a rip-off, but there are degrees to it. I don't care much about the cost really, but I don't want to waste points completely (Horse armour and Mothership Zeta, I'm looking at you!).

That expansion is bloody expensive though... 3000-something points! :E
  • Deleted user 22 June 2010 09:57:16
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    Awakening isn't that expensive Snakehips. Maybe the download version on XBL is, but the disc version can be had for about 15 these days. I'm still refusing to buy it at the moment though as the main game bugged my ending so I didn't get the one I wanted.

Oh yeah, didn't think of the disk version! Probably best get that rather than the obscene XBL version at 3200 points
  • elvenscroll 22 Jun 2010 09:57:30 1,415 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wardens Keep gives you a very handy chest to store items in. I found it invaluable in my play throughs.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• LionheartDJH 22 Jun 2010 09:58:18 19,486 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just pick up the disc version then Phreedh, yours for 15 English pounds from a reputable online retailer: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00368C38K/bestgameprice2-21 :)

She dives for cheese pasties

• RunningMan 22 Jun 2010 09:59:17 2,419 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elvenscroll wrote:
    Wardens Keep gives you a very handy chest to store items in. I found it invaluable in my play throughs.

It's also pretty short and on PC totally buggy, so I can't actually re-enter the keep any more. I think Awakening is the only DLC that's worth getting.
  • elvenscroll 22 Jun 2010 10:02:12 1,415 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RunningMan wrote:
    elvenscroll wrote:

It's also pretty short and on PC totally buggy, so I can't actually re-enter the keep any more. I think Awakening is the only DLC that's worth getting.

The 360 version has no problems. Being able to store items is very handy, plus the DLC enables another random encounter elsewhere.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• Deleted user 22 June 2010 10:02:20
    Warden's Keep came with my copy of the game so I didn't actually pay anything additional for it, I was getting it confused with Return to Ostagaar.

RtO is a waste of cash, WK is ok (but short)

/needs more coffee
  • lucky_jim 22 Jun 2010 10:03:48 5,308 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm enjoying Awakening, but if you've just started the main game, there's no need to bother with it yet. It's quite rare that games let you enjoy the fame and glory you've earned, and Awakening functions a bit like an extended (very extended) epilogue. Definitely go for the disc version though, once you've finished the main game.

As for the rest of the DLC, the only one I think I could have done without is whichever gave you Shale as a character, but if you bought the game new you should have that. The only other consideration is that if you miss out on getting the dog early in the game, Return to Ostagar gives you another chance to add it to your party. At least, I think it does, I know one of the DLC episodes does- anyone?
  • Deleted user 22 June 2010 10:15:30
    lucky_jim wrote:
    The only other consideration is that if you miss out on getting the dog early in the game, Return to Ostagar gives you another chance to add it to your party. At least, I think it does, I know one of the DLC episodes does- anyone?

Yeah, it does. Other than that I can't honestly think of any reason to advise anyone buy RtO though. Unless you're an achievement hunter
  • Zephro 22 Jun 2010 10:26:12 81 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was a bit shocked that Watcher's keep once you liberate it is just 2 merchants and a chest. Pretty shoddy.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2010 10:35:07
    Zephro wrote:
    I was a bit shocked that Watcher's keep once you liberate it is just 2 merchants and a chest. Pretty shoddy.

Don't forget that you can also get additional Blood Magic abilities, and a decent set of heavy armour, and a decent set of magister robes. Oh, and a very good staff.

In addition to those you also got the loot chest (invaluable) and the merchant that can craft Starfang. It was far from shoddy, just short IMO, and far better than RtO

/2 cents
  • Zephro 22 Jun 2010 11:08:31 81 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't really consider extra items worth getting DLC for. I want more story, it's the point of playing a single player rpg rather than just grinding through WoW.
  • robthehermit 11 Aug 2014 10:37:17 4,089 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This seems as good a place as any.

Has anybody else who preordered Inquisition noticed that the bonus items have been taken away.

When I put in my preorder with Amazon, the bonus was the 'Flames of the Inquisition' pack. Apparently it's no longer the pack that we were all promised every preorder would get. It's now just the weapons. If you want the Armour then you have to get it from Shopto, and Game have the mount.

Okay, it just vanity shit, and won't make a scrap of difference to the game, but I am proper annoyed that they've moved the goalposts in the UK.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• GiarcYekrub 11 Aug 2014 11:59:55 3,782 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deleted user wrote:
    Zephro wrote:
    Don't forget that you can also get additional Blood Magic abilities, and a decent set of heavy armour, and a decent set of magister robes. Oh, and a very good staff.

In addition to those you also got the loot chest (invaluable) and the merchant that can craft Starfang. It was far from shoddy, just short IMO, and far better than RtO

/2 cents
    The woman shows up in Dragon Age 2 too, if you let her go
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next