• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • matrim83 29 Mar 2012 13:25:51 5,587 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Slightly better than feared, still not good:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/29/simcity-always-on-clarified-will-need-internet-for-every-launch/
    Still not good enough. Not buying it unless it has a complete working offline mode.

I don't mind connecting to the Internet to activate a product but thats as far as I am willing to go.

Valar morghulis.

• JoeBlade 29 Mar 2012 13:27:11 2,542 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Boycott it is then.

Ironically I would hardly be affected by it anyway since I have a very stable connection.
    However, as much as I want to play this the internet requirement opens the door to all sorts of nonsense, the ability to shut down authentication servers at any time being the biggest issue.

No, thank you.
  • dsmx 29 Mar 2012 13:37:29 7,601 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Of course the problem is that if people don't buy it we'll get EA moaning about piracy and how there's no market anymore for games like this.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Razz 29 Mar 2012 13:52:50 61,196 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really think it's true that Activision and EA take turns at being evil. Last year it was all Activision and Bob Kodick with EA playing the angelic card. This year Acitivision is keeping quiet and EA has become the evil monster they always were. :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• JoeBlade 29 Mar 2012 14:04:32 2,542 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    Of course the problem is that if people don't buy it we'll get EA moaning about piracy and how there's no market anymore for games like this.
    Let them, that whole argument doesn't seem very plausible anymore since the Ubisuck DRM debacle.

Moreover, with enough press coverage like that article linked a couple of posts ago it will be difficult to brush poor sales under the piracy carpet.
  • ronuds 29 Mar 2012 18:25:11 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know how well SimCity has sold traditionally, but if internet moaning is as accurate a reflection of sales as it usually is, our boycott probably isn't going to hurt EA's bottom line much.
  • Khanivor 17 Apr 2012 17:41:43 40,735 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago

Christ, there's an awesome looking sim system running this game. I just hope EA don't tard it all up so your only control are a couple of switch boxes.
  • dsmx 17 Apr 2012 18:28:23 7,601 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    tech looks interesting but it won't matter if EA carry on down the path they are going at the moment.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• MrDigital 19 Apr 2012 12:35:32 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why do they think this tactic will work?

I'm not asking without any sort of bias, I'm just genuinely curious. It won't deter normal pirates - groups will crack this game, even if it takes a week after release as opposed to a day or earlier. It might deter very casual pirates who avoid torrenting and just try to share discs, but then again, even a simple CD key would deter that sort of pirate. And then of course there is the effect it will have on those who have actually paid for the game, and might have a dodgy connection - they will be fucked more than pirates, as often happen.

Edited by Geesh at 12:36:25 19-04-2012

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Deleted user 19 April 2012 12:41:10
    Why do any publishers use DRM methods?

Can we not turn the thread into another DRM discussion?
  • dsmx 19 Apr 2012 13:32:58 7,601 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Because it's a business with investors and they have to appear to be doing something about their games being pirated so they appear to be doing something to protect the investors investment. The whole industry is built on appearances and DRM is just an extension of that.

The really sad thing is I wanted to get the new simcity but the always on requirement, the very high price for a PC game and the fact that they already touting DLC for it means that I won't be getting it, at least not at launch.

I also don't see how they are going support mods properly like they say and sell DLC, because if you create mod tools then you why would anyone pay for your content when someone can just copy it and let people use it for free. This implies that there's going to be artificial restrictions on what the mod tools will be allowed to create.

• ronuds 19 Apr 2012 16:21:38 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    I also don't see how they are going support mods properly like they say and sell DLC, because if you create mod tools then you why would anyone pay for your content when someone can just copy it and let people use it for free. This implies that there's going to be artificial restrictions on what the mod tools will be allowed to create.
    They do it with The Sims. It works. I couldn't say if user mods are "crippled" though.

As for "always on" - I thought they retracted a bit and said you only need to sign on and then you can log off?
  • dsmx 19 Apr 2012 16:59:33 7,601 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How is having to sign in then sign out any better?

• ronuds 19 Apr 2012 17:02:13 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I dunno...
  • faselei 17 Aug 2012 09:41:15 27 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are adverts everywhere for SC5 atm (at least i see 'em).

Sim City is an important series to PC Gaming. SC2000 was one of the reasons I cobbled together a 386 out of second hand bits in 1994...

Big problems i can see with my favourite game of all time:

- You are going to need Origin, so that's yet another account to remember with yet another company, and yet another company your with credit card details, as well as yet another system tray icon and yet another program in start up...

- From what the SC forum says its 'always online', with either a severely crippled off-line mode or none at all.

- Its priced at 44.99 for the normal version or 64.99 for the deluxe. This deluxe has the german, french and british city sets included, so unless you want to only create the usual US style grids then thats 64 quid

- Will Origin and always on cripple modding? SC4 has survived a long time becuase of the mod scene.

So, well i'm sure it'll still sell, and i may even put up with up with all, but i have a nagging sense that they are right royally f***ing me over.
  • Deleted user 17 August 2012 09:46:43
    The price is a non issue, just wait a couple of months and it'll be half that.
  • THFourteen 17 Aug 2012 09:52:20 33,401 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Origin isn't so bad, i need it for FIFA and Mass Effect already so not fussed about that. Imagine the boxed copy will be 30 or so not 44.99 if you buy from shopto.

after diablo though, i dont think the always online model is any good, fingers crossed the offline mode is ok.
  • faselei 19 Aug 2012 20:00:53 27 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've made me feel a little better... I suppose this is a wait and see.

EA are better than some others. But, well we'll see...
  • FWB 19 Aug 2012 21:46:35 44,555 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is what I call gaming.
  • Airwane 29 Aug 2012 16:57:24 165 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finnaly the Simcity 5 will be out. but price on origin is crazy!!!!!!!!
    64.99 for the Digital deluxe editon!!!!! are they mad? and for that edition you only get ingame set of european city!!! WTF!

Limited edition is 44.99!! Origin are mad!!

on amazon limited edition is 37.37

My gaming channel http://www.youtube.com/TheBlackViceroy

• Khanivor 29 Aug 2012 16:59:40 40,735 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is it out yet?
  • FWB 29 Aug 2012 17:33:38 44,555 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Those look like new-build apartments in the British set. Certainly not houses... too many windows.
  • X201 29 Aug 2012 19:41:30 15,369 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Is it out yet?
    February
  • Iain815 30 Aug 2012 00:20:41 412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ilovechips wrote:
    Is it me or do the British set not look so "British"?

They got Paris down and the German's but the Brits well they look a bit off. Does anybody live in/near a house like these?

http://www.shacknews.com/tag/gamescom-2012/gallery/23116/simcity-gamescom-2012-screenshots
    Blimey, don't any of these Sims know how to turn off a light switch?
  • faselei 6 Sep 2012 07:59:06 27 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ilovechips Some of the 'houses' look more dutch than anything, but the Georgian terrace's are pretty good. Really it feels more like a London set. London's architecture is a little different to most UK places.

I think German and French people might equally think they've got it wrong :-P
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next