DarkStar One: Broken Alliance Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • DFawkes 23 Jun 2010 20:01:14 22,106 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have to agree. It's almost like they visited EG, saw mcmonkeyplc's thread asking for a spaceship game, and ported it on that alone. It's great that it exists, but even if I were a publisher it'd certainly look like a risky investment at best.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Deleted user 23 June 2010 20:05:26
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Testing the water perhaps to see if there's a market for space sims. Quite why they'd do it with such a mediocre title is beyond me though.

Should've done it through XBLA. It's virtually a budget title anyway, but I think only the ones with exposure to the genre are even going to bother buying a disc copy.

Ah well. Maybe it'll prompt Braben into hurrying up with Elite 4 (lol).
  • Deleted user 23 June 2010 20:06:04
    Actually, they should just do an XBLA port of Space Rangers 2.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2010 20:06:38
    In fact, why the fuck am I playing DS1 when there's a perfectly good copy of SR2 complete on my impulse account.
  • LionheartDJH 23 Jun 2010 20:08:18 19,295 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Could be DFawkes, although if that's the case then this part of the review:

the space sim is another of those huge, complex genres which have steadfastly refused to migrate into the living room. It's something console gamers have, in relatively polite and quiet tones, been crying out for

Certainly doesn't describe this:

mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Dear Developers of the world

SORT IT THE FUCK OUT!

NOW!

Thanks

:)

She dives for cheese pasties

• DFawkes 23 Jun 2010 20:13:18 22,106 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

• WrongShui 23 Jun 2010 21:29:20 6,575 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meme wrote:
    In fact, why the fuck am I playing DS1 when there's a perfectly good copy of SR2 complete on my impulse account.

The intro voice acting is so bad it makes you have a stroke?
  • PenguinJim 24 Jun 2010 05:49:56 5,476 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    From the EG review:
    EG wrote:
    Perhaps as a cut-price download title, Kalypso could have scraped an 8 with this, but age has weathered the full-price score by one since its debut.
    But it was already under £18 by the time the review came out! IS IT AN EIGHT!?!?! THE NUMBER IS THE MOST IMPORTANT BIT!!!!! :p
  • PenguinJim 24 Jun 2010 13:59:27 5,476 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know I only just said on the last page that we should buy this on 360 to increase the chances of more space shooters coming to consoles, but the original PC version is half price at Gamersgate right now - $5.
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DSO/darkstar-one

Also, perhaps lennon or a mod might change this thread title? It's just occurred to me that this thread won't come up on a search for "Darkstar One". ;) Maybe stick "Broken Alliance" in there, too?
  • DFawkes 1 Jul 2010 11:48:48 22,106 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished this (well, the story, not 1000GS but I will because I'm still enjoying it).

It is very samey though, I think I could understand the review score as there's not much too it. Even when a ranodm mission offers something other than shooting, like being challenged to a race, even that turns hostile at the end. But those Artifacts just became so addictive, I had to have them all to make my ship a RIG OF DEATH!

There is some variety there - specifically 3 missions not in space as such which I really enjoyed as they mixed up the formula. Pity it was only 3 times though. Appart from shooting, I've did a little smuggling and trading too, which is a fair basic system that's of little use, to be honest.

Voice acting is terible throughout, though at least the different races sounds different to give them a bit of personality. There are even a few really good pieces of script later on, all ruined by being read out by bored people.

Apart from that, couple of gamerwhore tips - if you want 1000GS in one playthrough, you have to put 10 upgrades into hull (for the "Mount 5 turrets" one) and at least 7 into wings (For "Mount 5 bow weapons - these also can't include missile launchers so just buy a few cheap lasers until you have 5 and that should do it). The other 3 are up to you, but I'd suggest at least 2 to engines to improve energy regen rates otherwise power balanacing can get rather tricky.

• PenguinJim 2 Jul 2010 03:10:49 5,476 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for that write-up. :) I already had this game in my basket at TheHut, but remembered at the last second that I don't have a PAL 360, so I need to check the region compatibility first. I don't suppose you (or anyone else) has tried the game in a US or Japanese 360? :D
  • Madder-Max 30 Jan 2011 01:29:38 11,575 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    just got this and have to say I am really enjoying it. some nice subtlties with trading and price ranges and its all pretty good.

I really want a space game on the 360 where I can seemlessly land on a planet and take off.

Oh and the voice acting is so bad its great.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• DFawkes 30 Jan 2011 01:37:39 22,106 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd love a seamless landing/taking off game. I'd kill for it, probably.

This post was longer, but I read above and I said all this. I still like the game though :)

• PenguinJim 30 Jan 2011 04:04:41 5,476 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, one reason the game might not have sold well is the cover art. Or the back of the box. Or maybe the title.

My friend in the UK has my copy (to send onto me) and he says it looks like the WORST GAME EVER! I'm not sure he's wrong - it does look a bit like a throwback to a generic 16-bit cover.

I'm still looking forward to playing it. ^^ It's sub-10 quid some places now.
  • Dirtbox 30 Jan 2011 04:45:05 76,372 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Uninspiring art

I'm fond of the game, but it's still a mystery as to why they'd bother.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• mcmonkeyplc 30 Jan 2011 05:42:52 38,928 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They bothered because of me and I didn't even give it a go. For shame! :(

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mcmonkeyplc 30 Jan 2011 05:43:12 38,928 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Lutz 15 Feb 2011 09:28:34 48,854 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, this is under £13 notes at Zavvi ATM... worth a shot at that price I think...
  • PenguinJim 15 Feb 2011 10:12:35 5,476 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Awww, they put the price back up. They had it under 10 quid at Zavvi and TheHut at the end of January.
  • TechnoHippy 20 Feb 2011 11:34:08 14,644 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally got round to playing this and while it's early days days I'm enjoying it. Not having any problems with the controls and I'm not keen on having to drag cargo around, but the combat is pretty good.

Voice acting is amusing at best though :-)

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• PenguinJim 10 Jan 2013 13:06:44 5,476 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Krappers wrote:
    Ive been eyeing this up for sometime now. Having loved Elite on the speccie, and heard this is along the same lines.
    Ive seen conflicting views on how 'good' it is. And wondered if it was worth dropping £14 on demand
    It's fine, but not particularly gripping or must-play. Your £14 may be better put towards a PC!

It was actually about £14 at launch, surely there must be a disc copy going for a fiver by now?
  • Krappers 10 Jan 2013 13:50:24 41 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Krappers wrote:
    Ive been eyeing this up for sometime now. Having loved Elite on the speccie, and heard this is along the same lines.
    Ive seen conflicting views on how 'good' it is. And wondered if it was worth dropping £14 on demand
    It's fine, but not particularly gripping or must-play. Your £14 may be better put towards a PC!

It was actually about £14 at launch, surely there must be a disc copy going for a fiver by now?
    Your probably right. I got a chunk of points for xmas,& was flicking through the on demand stuff. They are not exactly burning a hole in my virtual space bucks pocket. But just remembered people talking about it, when it came out. I'll see if i can pick it up a cheap on disc. Cheers.
  • Dirtbox 10 Jan 2013 14:48:20 76,372 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It is to Elite as grape Snapple is to a bottle of 1956 Château Lafite Rothschild.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Krappers 10 Jan 2013 15:03:49 41 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    It is to Elite as grape Snapple is to a bottle of 1956 Château Lafite Rothschild.
    That good then !
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next