DarkStar One: Broken Alliance

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • lennon 18 Jun 2010 14:03:53 197 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just seen this on sale in the shops. Anyone know if the 360 version is any good? The PC one got a decent review but 40 seemed a bit steep to take the chance.

Cheers
  • lucky_jim 18 Jun 2010 14:41:43 5,161 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Funny you should mention that, I was whining in another thread earlier about it not having been reviewed here. The only review I've seen was over at Imagine Publishing's NowGamer site, and it's not good. Also, the fact it's sneaked out with so few reviews doesn't bode well.

That said, if you read the text of that review, I can't help but feel the reviewer doesn't get the genre at all. Most of the stuff he's complaining about are reasons why I'm interested in the game: i.e. the fact it's a straightforward spacey dogfighting/ trading game. I've already got Mass Effect 2, so I don't give a crap about DS1's backstory- it's just of no interest to me. It does say that the combat's pretty good, so why they've given it such a crap score is beyond me. It's like marking down Forza 3 because there's not enough plot.

I'm waiting for some more, less absurd, reviews before I make my mind up. I'd suggest you do the same.
  • mcmonkeyplc 18 Jun 2010 14:42:58 38,899 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is out now?!

Lennon you going to play well tonight?!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 18 Jun 2010 14:43:31 4,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dan Pearson is reviewing it for us. Should be up next week sometime.

He liked it, by the way.

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• lucky_jim 18 Jun 2010 14:48:34 5,161 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers Venatio. I can usually tell whether I'll like a game or not by reading EG's reviews, which I can't from that one on NowGamer (failing to fulfil the basic function of a review is pretty bad form!).

It's always good to be cautious with games which sneak out unreviewed, but I'm really hoping it's at least decent, because there hasn't been a decent game like it (on consoles) since the Colony Wars ones on PS1.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 18 Jun 2010 14:49:47 4,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I think it's looking like a 6 or a 7 from what he's saying.

I just want Elite IV. :(

• morriss 18 Jun 2010 14:51:56 70,749 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I want Elite with motion control and 3D. Those features make games better.
  • baishy 18 Jun 2010 17:19:02 2 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think it's worth buying it at Zavvi.com for 25 or Shopto.net for 28 (v.quick delivery) I got it yesterday so only played for a couple of hours. Don't expect amazing voice work or production values, but actually the space flight and combat seems good fun. The graphics are pretty good too - I particularly like how the interior of the cockpit reflects on the inside of the glass. Trading and ship upgrading adds to the experience, but I feel it might get a little repetitive in the long run.

It's worth 25 if you like the space exploration thing. So far I would give it a 7.
  • lennon 18 Jun 2010 18:37:01 197 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers all.

Will I play well? I would say expect me to get to the line and try and hit them and hurt them and get round the back at great pace but ultimately deliver a load of shocking final balls which will just piss Rooney off.
  • Dirtbox 18 Jun 2010 18:45:42 76,340 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If it's anything like the PC version, it's a very poor man's Freelancer.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 18 June 2010 18:47:07
    Dirtbox wrote:
    If it's anything like the PC version, it's a very poor man's Freelancer.

With atrocious voice acting.
  • Dirtbox 18 Jun 2010 18:47:47 76,340 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Crazy on steroids!

• Red-Moose 18 Jun 2010 19:23:48 5,345 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What the fuck? This is out on 360 already? I have it on PC but my computer melts into a whinning juddery mess anytime Direct X tries to hand crank it's 3D card engine into life.

• DFawkes 19 Jun 2010 17:05:23 22,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really wanted this, so went to the shops, got the only copy I could find and came home. Then I tried to add it to my Games Collection on here, but can't because it's not out yet. That's a shame, I must've bought an imaginary/pirate/PC version instead!

Not actually played it yet, but it has spaceships. It HAS to be good.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Dirtbox 19 Jun 2010 17:08:36 76,340 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You'd think so, right?

• DFawkes 19 Jun 2010 17:17:11 22,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In theory. Though I did try it on PC and didn't like it, but used the tried and tested fingers in ears LALALALALA method of ignoring that. Lot more competition on PC, so that'll make it magically better on 360 somehow.

• LionheartDJH 19 Jun 2010 17:27:26 19,295 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Didn't know it was out today, thought it had been delayed until next month, but I guess not. Seen a few parts of a let's play of the PC version on youtube and it looks decent (although yes, the voice acting is atrocious). Might be worth a look in, seeing as though I've already exhausted the 360's massive catalogue of space combat games this week by purchasing the 2 available; Project Sylpheed and Star Trek: Legacy. I'll probably wait until it comes down in price a bit though.

She dives for cheese pasties

• DFawkes 19 Jun 2010 22:12:29 22,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love this game. No idea why I didn't on PC, probably had framerate issues since my old PC was awful. But I do really like this, been playing since my last post.

My main concern was it'd feel too much like a PC game, but it really feels at home on a control pad. Sure, some of the controls can be a bit fiddly, but I reckon and actual starship would be too. Really loving the upgrade system too, plenty to spend your hard earned cash on.

The voice acting though, is laughably bad. As in I genuinely laughed at the stilted, robotic delivery of these people. But aside from that, I'll be playing this a good while, trying to clear out Pirate Gangs, evesdropping on meetings and tearing about with cargo.

• PenguinJim 20 Jun 2010 05:12:16 5,455 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's £25.95 at Zavvi, btw:
    http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/xbox-360/darkstar-one-broken-alliance/10082014.html
  • LionheartDJH 20 Jun 2010 06:10:26 19,295 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    It's £25.95 at Zavvi, btw:
    http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/xbox-360/darkstar-one-broken-alliance/10082014.html

Pfft full price! ;)

Only joking, cheers for the heads up :)

She dives for cheese pasties

• Agent_Llama 20 Jun 2010 13:52:06 3,248 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Picked this up for 40 (ouch) in Gamestation. The voice-acting is atrocious in a great way and it's pretty generic, but overall I'm enjoying it a lot. The combat and upgrading is pretty good, and there's some variety in what you have to do. The graphics are pretty naff but there's some good space epic music in the soundtrack. It feels a bit restrictive and I can see it getting repetitive, but there's nothing else like it on the 360 at the moment.

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola

• Dirtbox 20 Jun 2010 13:56:49 76,340 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Funnily enough there is no variety in the missions, you just do the same thing over and over with minor variations in the premise of doing them. It all equates to shooting stuff, really.

• PenguinJim 23 Jun 2010 11:57:15 5,455 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There are some thorough and well-written first-hand impressions in a thread over here:
    http://www.gamestm.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15791

The guy absolutely loves it.

Also, it's down to £17.93 over here:
    http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/xbox-360/darkstar-one-broken-alliance/10082014.html
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 23 Jun 2010 11:59:42 4,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FYI, our review is up today at 2pm.

• glaeken 23 Jun 2010 12:13:11 10,977 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was actually really surprised to see this in Game the over day. It really was a stealth release. Will be interested to see what sort of mauling EG give it.
  • ZuluHero 23 Jun 2010 12:16:28 3,666 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    yeah - looking forward to 2pm :)
  • DFawkes 23 Jun 2010 12:49:44 22,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Venatio wrote:
    Yeah, I think it's looking like a 6 or a 7 from what he's saying.

I just want Elite IV. :(

I guess we'll find out in an hour and a bit them. Whatever it says, here's mine:

It has spaceships, upgrades, open world, controls are fine and the visuals are functional, if a little unremarkable. Already easily one of my favourite 360 games.

Easy personal 10/10, though if I was writing a proper review it'd be an 8, remarking that it can get a bit repetitive. Doesn't bother me at all as I'm enjoying it so much.

• StarchildHypocrethes 23 Jun 2010 13:02:46 24,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just dislike the fact you can't buy new ships in it.

Probably a bit of a stupid thing, but that's what I always loved about these games. Upgrades just aren't the same :(
  • DUFFKING 23 Jun 2010 13:05:02 6,489 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I remember in Freelancer being stunned at some of the ships in multiplayer since the highest ship you got in SP (story wise) in that was something like level 6. I loved using the Hammerhead whilst everyone else was in their level 10 Titans or Eagles. Speed > Power. I miss the Jolt.co.uk server...
  • jellyhead 23 Jun 2010 13:47:04 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Remember that DFawkes is from Scotchland where the stars are a distant, cloud obscured dream so anything spacey is like Buckfast to them ;)

I'm buying it, DFawkes knows his spaceships :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous