NeverDead - Horror Action Adventure From Rebellion

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Cappy 17 Jun 2010 15:30:12 11,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We don't know much about this PS3/360 game yet. Sadly it's not a survival horror if the preview is any indication.

Though the title does seem to have an interesting quirk. A protagonist who is able to continue fighting whilst dismembered if the screenshots are any indication.

* EG Preview.

An update! More trailers! More stuff! And I didn't have to lift a finger.

HermitArcader wrote:
    Thread could do with being updated as the title deserves more attention. E3 trailer had me going wtf at the time but I'm really starting to get the Japanese B-Game with a UK slant vibes from it right now:

E3 trailer

E3 playable demo

I really like the new Japanese trailer (also new screens at link below) and I hope Konami and Rebellion are able to include these voices with subtitles as an option.

Pre-TGS trailer

Anyone else looking forward to this game?
  • Blerk Moderator 17 Jun 2010 15:38:21 48,225 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The inclusion of the word 'Rebellion' should be the clue here. :-D
  • Gambit1977 17 Jun 2010 15:39:37 9,677 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That is one ugly website.
    Game seems weird, yet generic.
  • Doctor_What 17 Jun 2010 15:48:21 14 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What's the designer done before? I don't recognise the name.
  • Deleted user 17 June 2010 15:49:39
    Alien Vs. Predator...
  • Cappy 17 Jun 2010 15:52:43 11,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rebellion's Rogue Trooper is actually pretty good, albeit short and lacking polish in a few areas. Well worth a look if you see it for a Pound or two in the bargain bin.

*edit*

Could a mod pop a space between Never and Dead in the thread title please? Or put it in as an alternate heading since the internet doesn't quite agree on whether there is a space in the title.
  • LFMartins 17 Jun 2010 15:54:38 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Doctor_What wrote:
    What's the designer done before? I don't recognise the name.

He worked on both Metal Gear Ac!ds , on MG Ghost Babel for the GameBoy and on Policenauts.
  • mrpon 17 Jun 2010 15:55:14 28,920 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One legged hopping :D

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Machetazo 17 Jun 2010 16:01:23 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Rebellion's Rogue Trooper is actually pretty good, albeit short and lacking polish in a few areas. Well worth a look if you see it for a Pound or two in the bargain bin.

*edit*

Could a mod pop a space between Never and Dead in the thread title please? Or put it in as an alternate heading since the internet doesn't quite agree on whether there is a space in the title.
    The trailer showed it as NeverDead, so I think that's what they're going for. No pausing for breath. Trailer.
  • Cappy 17 Jun 2010 16:14:04 11,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I think NeverDead is correct.

Regarding Rebellion's involvment, they seem to be working in partnership with Konami, the designer Shinta Nojiri is one of their guys. Besides the stuff such as Policenauts listed above I believe he also worked on Silent Hill. With his input and Rebellion doing the heavy lifting it could work out.
  • pinebear 25 Aug 2010 18:39:04 8,565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vids, screens, and an attempt to rescue the duplicated thread.
    Full Konami announcement at E3
    2 minute E3 trailer
    1 minute Gamescom trailer
    Screens

• Jmek 25 Aug 2010 18:49:20 1,327 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks...interesting?
  • Cappy 5 Oct 2010 14:29:11 11,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EG front page fame at last.
  • Lexx87 6 Oct 2010 01:59:42 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    EG front page fame at last.

The video on that made me laugh my tits off. Not sure if it's genius or just fucking terrible. But just brilliant all the same.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Machetazo 29 Oct 2010 19:01:01 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New screens, details. Bryce, it appears, won't be taking on his latest case alone.
    The NCDA is the National Counter Demon Agency, and Bryce has been recruited to take on the demons that have again started to infiltrate the human world.
    This has quite a good hook, and look to it; so, hopefully there'll be more substantial coverage on the way, soon.
  • lucky_jim 29 Oct 2010 19:43:05 5,297 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm curious about this. I liked the trailer I saw after E3 but I just don't know if Rebellion can pull it off. Have they made a good game since AvP on the Jaguar?
  • Machetazo 24 Nov 2010 23:35:41 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gamasutra ran an interesting interview with Shinta Nojiri, formerly of Kojima Productions
    In Kojima Productions, we have some obligations to make a franchise. My ex-boss (laughs) wanted me to make games in the franchise, but I didn't think so
    (:D) who has relocated to the UK to work with Rebellion, to bring Neverdead to life!
    Did you have anything to do with this idea before it went through Rebellion, or did Rebellion come to Konami?

SN: This is the title I conceived. I conceived everything about this, and I provided most all the features: the characters, story, and everything. Yes, the concept art is by Rebellion, but the gameplay and mechanics were by me. It's almost by Konami, and they are now constructing the game with me.
    At one point, Nojiri corrects a query about past fortunes of a Konami/West partnership by pointing out that whilst Homecoming didn't strike, Castlevania was far better received.
    He makes the distinction, in his response that Castlevania was Konami Europe's, collaboration with Mercury Steam; whilst the HD consoles Silent Hill was being overseen by the Japanese business.
    I can't really tell you [the details]. It's just a challenge.
    Though, Mr. Nojiri seems to be confident that these difficulties are behind Konami, now.

In the full article, there's some added thoughts on Neverdead's gameplay, it's intended audience, and a little about the working relationship at Rebellion. It's a nice article, so consider giving it a look. :)
  • coojam 24 Nov 2010 23:45:31 625 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Perhaps the guy's messiah complex has been a little lost in translation ("I conceived everything about this, and I provided most all the features: the characters, story, and everything. Yes, the concept art is by Rebellion, but the gameplay and mechanics were by me.") but if that's the case, the glimpse of what appears to be a frilly bra underneath open shirt in that trailer suggest that the characters, story and everything should have been done by somebody else.

Well done for creating a videogame stereotype. Bravo.
  • Deleted user 25 August 2011 18:48:12
    Thread could do with being updated as the title deserves more attention. E3 trailer had me going wtf at the time but I'm really starting to get the Japanese B-Game with a UK slant vibes from it right now:

E3 trailer

E3 playable demo

I really like the new Japanese trailer (also new screens at link below) and I hope Konami and Rebellion are able to include these voices with subtitles as an option.

Pre-TGS trailer

Anyone else looking forward to this game?
  • King_Edward 25 Aug 2011 19:27:03 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Quasi-Japanese psycho limb flinging mental shit? How could I not be interested?
  • Deleted user 25 August 2011 19:42:05
    Okay, those trailers just pushed this game way up my most wanted list.

Good work, HermitArcader.
  • Deleted user 27 August 2011 15:27:23
    @King Edward When you put it like that :p how could I ever doubt it!

@Superet No worries, searching about and adding this page as interesting with the aim to update regularly these kinds of threads as there's far too little info and discussion of cult games on this board. We haven't even got a thread for Rebellion's own Sniper V2. :o

Haven't even touched upon some of the madness in the trailer (carrot nosed villain in the backstory cut scenes, the pop singer girl on the run) and whether the Vamp-esque dagger throwing character hints they'll be other cheeky nods to MGS.

Its certainly moving up my most wanted list as well, not least after going back and reading the preview from last month. Presumably the pre-TGS trailer means it'll be present at the show, hope we find out when it'll finally be available.

One thing I forgot to touch upon, have we any Metal Gear Ac!D fans who can let people less familiar with Shinta Nojiri what they are in for?
  • Cappy 27 Aug 2011 18:00:26 11,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks a lot, I'll edit the update into the first post also.

Interesting to see how things have changed, Shadows of the Damned has since been and gone and wasn't quite the polished game people were expecting whilst NeverDead could still surprise us.
  • Cappy 19 Sep 2011 11:12:10 11,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A new Trailer from TGS has graced the front page.

• Deleted user 19 September 2011 18:28:44
    The trailers are just getting better and better! Gameplay seems like it offers bags of fun possibilities and the characters really come to life with through their distinctive animation. I NEED THIS GAME INSIDE ME. :o

Absolutely deserves to pick up more interest in the run up to release. After reading some of the poor comments I babbled at length defending it at the link you just posted..

To sum up here and try to get some debate going, think that a lot of people aren't getting it rightaway, which is understandable, even I wasn't sure at first but now I'm really psyched for it. Going to take time and more coverage before more get into the B-Game approach Neverdead has going for it.

Konami need to push this game and be competitive with the price to encourage risk taking otherwise it'll get overlooked as SOTD did.

BTW to go back to your previous post Cappy, can't tell from your post if you have played SOTD but while we may disagree over stylish action games, can tell you like your action horror so I recommend you try it for the 20 or so its going for on Amazon.

Its very rough and uneven due to a troubled development (man I wish they'd made Kurayami!) but at its best is a whole lot of unashamedly 'gamey' fun. Hopefully Shinta Nojiri and Rebellion have ensured that Neverdead will offer all of that and then some, with a higher degree of polish and post game content to boot.
  • Cappy 19 Sep 2011 19:21:16 11,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd consider Shadows of the Damned at the right price, unfortunately my PS3 got a touch of YLOD and died back in June so I haven't played much of anything since, aside from Xenoblade.

Though it would have been a long, long time before it hit the 5 I was willing to pay.
  • TechnoHippy 19 Sep 2011 19:51:22 14,715 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A decent Dredd game is what I would like to see.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 19 September 2011 23:07:11
    5!?! Harsh.

@Technohippy You and me both, wish Rebellion were in a position to put its ownership of 2000AD to good use in many games, not just the occasional one like Rogue Trooper. So many possibilities.

Actually when thinking about it, wonder how much consideration was given to 2000AD when this game was conceived, curious if say The Dead Man character was an influence.

It would be awesome if this game sold well enough for the Rebellion team to use the game engine for something 2000AD related, either based on one of the many classics mainstays of the comic or even one more recent like Caballistics Inc.
  • Deleted user 29 September 2011 22:13:21
    MY MYYYY EXPLOSSSIIVEEE ARRRRMMMM!

At TGS in a funny interview with a Headless Nojiri and his talking arm discusses throwing his arm to distract and destroy and the first mention of a 4 player multiplayer which includes deathmatch, co-op onslaught and rescue modes.

In a nice touch, he mentions how all experience points and abilities gained in single player carry over and vice versa. Really up for seeing how MP turns out, particularly survival mode and the use of different mortal characters from the storyline.

Normally we all assume the worst about the addition of such features, but as I mentioned above with leftfield single player games dropping like a rock, good to see the team are including stuff like this to get more people playing the game.

Know I will and hope I'm not the only one.

@Machetazo Don't worry, no 2000AD pro myself but it would be awesome to see more adaptations. Thumbs up for mentioning Hunter Killer, didn't know about it but will dig for info.
  • Machetazo 29 Sep 2011 22:25:35 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    2000 AD I don't have a great knowledge of, although I liked what Rebellion released before under its banner. I do very much like the style their books use though in what I have seen, so I definitely wouldn't mind to see happening, the suggestion of yours for more of their properties being brought to life as games.
    In related, Top Cow's Hunter-Killer series is currently being developed in to a downloadable videogame for the likes of XBLA, etc.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous