Buying a Macbook Pro? Page 20

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• FanBoysSuck 26 Nov 2012 20:27:37 1,540 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Apple have hit a home run because you can play last year's games on a two grand laptop?!

O_o
    Well it's the same spec you'd get you get in a specced out mx14 for the same price but yeah I get your point. I'm just chuffed it games well as it was bought as a work machine. Crysis 2 is still a system melter at high settings as well don't forget. It's about the same performance I get our of my gaming desktop at 1080p more or less.

For the emperor!

• Widge Moderator 28 Nov 2012 11:25:10 13,743 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:

I wouldn't buy this thing for gaming, but it's a nice extra.
    Yeah, that is my thinking. My home PC is for gaming, but if I am out with the MBP, would be nice to have games as an option when I am not in the mood for music.

I'd imagine the indie scene games on Steam should look good and run at max.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Tonka 28 Nov 2012 11:57:10 21,351 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Apple have hit a home run because you can play last year's games on a two grand laptop?!

O_o
    It just works!

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Widge Moderator 11 Jan 2013 11:05:44 13,743 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, I was going to fork out in the next couple of months for one of these things, but have decided to hold off for the supposed June refresh.

Sounds like retina will be better supported by the next Nvidia 7xxM series of graphics chip (integrated into the processor this time) -> also you may see a bump in SSD storage as a default option.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/28/apple-to-update-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air-in-june-2013/

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• MMMarmite 11 Jan 2013 11:21:27 1,108 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Widge wrote:Sounds like retina will be better supported by the next Nvidia 7xxM series of graphics chip (integrated into the processor this time) -> also you may see a bump in SSD storage as a default option.
    It's not an Nvidia chip that will be integrated, the article is referring to Intel's integrated HD graphics.

There doesn't seem to be any major issues with the retina display on the current GPU (that said I haven't played many games on it), sometimes Safari scrolling is a little off depending on the website, but more storage for the price would definitely be a nice addition ;)

Edited by MMMarmite at 11:22:18 11-01-2013
  • Widge Moderator 15 Jan 2013 09:50:18 13,743 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I just can't decide what to do. Hang on for 5 months or jump in now. I have by brother chipping away to by bits of my current PC, meaning I will be left with a fairly old Dell as my music production PC... maybe the good decision will be to hang on in there with that.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• yegon 16 Jan 2013 12:09:35 5,416 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You should wait. If you buy within a month of refresh you get maximum bang for your buck, and when the next refresh comes around you don't feel remotely peeved as you've had it for so long. You'll get Haswell and likely better ssd or fusion size for the same money I expect. Plus, it'll be a version 2 which is always nice (although my late '08 mbp was v1, and I had zero troubles with it, still chugging along as an iTunes server).

Edited by yegon at 12:14:03 16-01-2013
  • Widge Moderator 18 Jan 2013 13:25:34 13,743 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I'm going to sell my big PC (I have to as my office room now houses a small human) and migrate my music setup to my other halves all in one Acer for the time being. I can make do with that until le book of Mac comes a long in June.

At least I have a gameplan. I was wondering whether to get a music laptop (like a 3XS one) instead, but the opinion is that if you can do good housekeeping, the PC's are awesome music environments, but the Macs generally look after themselves for latency and all sorts of gubbins.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Deleted user 18 January 2013 13:32:48
    Selling my late 2011 MBP pro if there's any interest.
  • elstoof 23 Oct 2013 18:38:14 8,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, anyone satisfied with the announced spec? Anyone got an opinion on Iris Pro graphics? I'll likely upgrade my 2008 Core2Duo for a 15", not sure about how decent integrated graphics are though. Still, 16MB in the top of the line one :o
  • Derblington 23 Oct 2013 18:53:31 22,286 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm going to order the top spec 13" next week. Very excited, mostly just to have a laptop again - I've been 6 months without a PC.
  • silentbob 23 Nov 2013 10:22:28 29,026 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    So, anyone satisfied with the announced spec? Anyone got an opinion on Iris Pro graphics? I'll likely upgrade my 2008 Core2Duo for a 15", not sure about how decent integrated graphics are though. Still, 16MB in the top of the line one :o
    Intel Iris (aka HD5xxx) is no gaming GPU - but it does now offer a genuine option to want casual gaming on the go. Something like 50% more powerful than the previous generation integrated graphics. You won't be doing any (much) native resolution gaming though, that resolution's a killer.

I'm probably going to take my first plunge into the world of Macs with a Macbook pro 13 Retina shortly. Partly as I'd like to get to grips with OSX, mostly becuuase they still offer the best designed and constructed portables on the market.

Also - purchase with a student discount online, there seem to be no checked and a cool 14% off. :)

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• elstoof 23 Nov 2013 10:28:46 8,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When I was a student you had to access the store from a .ac.uk network to see any discounts.

I doubt I'll be doing any gaming on it anyhow because it's a Mac, but I'll probably be getting the top spec one just because I expect to get 5 or 6 years out of it. My healthy saving will come from buying in the US next month ;)
  • insert10p 23 Nov 2013 10:30:03 41 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    silentbob wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Intel Iris (aka HD5xxx) is no gaming GPU - but it does now offer a genuine option to want casual gaming on the go. Something like 50% more powerful than the previous generation integrated graphics. You won't be doing any (much) native resolution gaming though, that resolution's a killer.

I'm probably going to take my first plunge into the world of Macs with a Macbook pro 13 Retina shortly. Partly as I'd like to get to grips with OSX, mostly becuuase they still offer the best designed and constructed portables on the market.

Also - purchase with a student discount online, there seem to be no checked and a cool 14% off. :)

Just a word of warning regarding the new 13" Pro retina. I had one and it had the hanging issue that seems to have effected a fair number of them. Basically the machine would just lock up and not respond...if you closed the lid for a minute 50% of the time it would respond when opened but if it didn't it was a hard boot and therefore you would lose whatever work you where doing. It was getting very frustrating.

Weirdly, the fault is only with the 13" and the others all seem fine. By all accounts Apple indicated they are working on a fix but a lot of bods seemed to think it is actually a hardware issue rather than a firmware problem. In the end I returned it and went for the 13" Air instead. I have a retina 5s and the new retina Mini so it is a jar with the screen but i've had this for about 2 weeks without a problem.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2013 10:31:58
    elstoof wrote:
    When I was a student you had to access the store from a .ac.uk network to see any discounts.

I doubt I'll be doing any gaming on it anyhow because it's a Mac, but I'll probably be getting the top spec one just because I expect to get 5 or 6 years out of it. My healthy saving will come from buying in the US next month ;)
    A quick google gives you a link to give you access to the education store from anywhere.
  • PhoenixFlames 23 Nov 2013 10:44:05 9,230 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    elstoof wrote:

A quick google gives you a link to give you access to the education store from anywhere.
    I did this. Saved a pretty penny and got a £70 iTunes voucher and 3 years Apple Care to boot.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• silentbob 24 Nov 2013 23:11:37 29,026 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Done, Macbook pro Retina 13" w/ 8G RAM/256G SSD using *cough* Student Discount. :) Was going to wait for Black Friday discounts then couldn't resist any more. ;)

Edited by silentbob at 13:04:44 25-11-2013

• silentbob 2 Dec 2013 16:17:13 29,026 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mine has despatched (finally) - will be with me tomorrow. I'll update again tonight (even though nothing will have changed) to keep Kalel happy.

• Phattso Moderator 2 Dec 2013 16:41:29 13,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been using the new 15" for a few weeks. Battery life is amazing. Screen is amazing. Everything else business as usual.
  • Derblington 10 Dec 2013 15:53:09 22,286 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My 13" Retina has arrived. Been without any kind of PC for 8 months so I'm looking forward to getting this all set up with my stuff tonight.

It's pretty :)
  • binky Moderator 27 Mar 2014 09:02:53 9,950 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've decided to get a MacBook Pro and ditch my 4 year old iMac. As much as I love the beast of a machine, I've had 2 kids since buying it and lost my iRoom which means the iMac is currently in the iBedroom and it just doesn't feel iRight.

So I've stuck it on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321362350549&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123

If I manage to sell it, I'm going to be looking at a MBP. My original thinking was to stick with a 13" for ultimate portability, but having felt the weight of the 15 the other day in-store, there really isn't too much in it. Plus the insides of the 15 are more of a match for the quad core i5 that I'm selling.

I assume nobody has any horror stories (aside from the price)?
  • nickthegun 27 Mar 2014 09:13:31 61,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, nowt wrong with that. I get MBPs from the apple refurb store. You dont get a fancy apple box, but it does knock a few quid off.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• CosmicFuzz 27 Mar 2014 09:16:33 25,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My sister has a MBP that she loves, still incredibly nippy even though it's a couple of years old. I sold my imac for a macbook air nearly a year ago, never looked back. Use it far more I can take it around the house with me, the imac always was a bit overkill for me.

Personally I prefer the air's lightness, but I take it around with me everywhere to write.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• nickthegun 27 Mar 2014 09:19:49 61,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The good thing about the MBA (and MBP) is that if you do every find yourself needing a screen, the thunderbolt port can drive the massive IPS screens whereas most laptops that come with just an HDMI port wont.

• Benno 27 Mar 2014 09:29:37 10,268 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Binky, why dont you wait a couple of months for the early summer refresh of models?
  • Benno 27 Mar 2014 09:30:09 10,268 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    look! the macbook pro is red on the macrumours buying guide :p

edit: nevermind, thats the old non-retina model :)

Edited by Benno at 09:31:09 27-03-2014
  • CosmicFuzz 27 Mar 2014 09:31:44 25,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The good thing about the MBA (and MBP) is that if you do every find yourself needing a screen, the thunderbolt port can drive the massive IPS screens whereas most laptops that come with just an HDMI port wont.
    What's an IPS screen?

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2014 09:35:12 11,895 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    What's an IPS screen?
    Type of monitor panel than has much better viewing angles and colour reproduction than TN Panels. They're used by Apple, Dell and others in their non-scum monitors.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 27 Mar 2014 09:37:06 61,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A kind of LCD screen with better response times, viewing angles and colour reproduction.

Basically, a retina screen is an IPS screen but we use 27" dell IPS units because they are half the price.

• nickthegun 27 Mar 2014 09:38:53 61,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jinx

• Page

of 25 First / Last