Buying a Macbook Pro? Page 5

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• BartonFink 23 Jul 2010 08:59:16 35,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    BartonFink wrote:
    The fuck you talkin about? Floatin windas?

Still strugglin to find the freaking off switch :)
    Haha, extending windows to fill the screen for no reason :D

Habit I guess just so used to maximizing on Windows and using Alt+TAB to switch. I will mend my dastardly ways as I go along ;)
  • Deleted user 23 July 2010 09:00:51
    BartonFink wrote:
    I know what I need to do (already done it for iTunes) but there doesn't appear to be a setting in iPhoto to set the location of the folder.
    Just move it.

When you did this for iTunes, did you move the whole folder? Library.xml included?
  • nickthegun 23 Jul 2010 09:06:15 61,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just so you know, its not a great idea to do this as, aside from the security issues, it can lead to screwed permissions.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Jackface 23 Jul 2010 09:20:50 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    One question though:

iPhoto

I know there has to be a way of changing the default location for pictures.
    We want to be able to import photos to the same location for whoever is logged in.

How the hell do you do that?
    I'm not sure there is a way to change the default location for photos - it will put them in the iPhoto Library that is active at the time you start to import photos, if you're importing via iPhoto, won't it? Not toooo sure as I don't use iPhoto. I know you can import existing folders of images that are already on your machine and choose to not import them to the iPhoto library, but leave them where they are on your system.

Have you searched Apple's discussion pages on iPhoto to see if there's anything about maintaining library consistency over multiple user accounts?

I agree with Nick that moving the iTunes and iPhoto folders around is a perilous activity if you don't follow specific instructions so that the system knows where you've put them for future reference.
  • BartonFink 23 Jul 2010 09:43:55 35,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jackface wrote:
    BartonFink wrote:
    One question though:

iPhoto

We want to be able to import photos to the same location for whoever is logged in.

I'm not sure there is a way to change the default location for photos - it will put them in the iPhoto Library that is active at the time you start to import photos, if you're importing via iPhoto, won't it? Not toooo sure as I don't use iPhoto. I know you can import existing folders of images that are already on your machine and choose to not import them to the iPhoto library, but leave them where they are on your system.

Have you searched Apple's discussion pages on iPhoto to see if there's anything about maintaining library consistency over multiple user accounts?

I agree with Nick that moving the iTunes and iPhoto folders around is a perilous activity if you don't follow specific instructions so that the system knows where you've put them for future reference.
    Seems a little silly that you cannot set a shared location for photos. What is perilous about it exactly? What specific instructions does it need?
  • Deleted user 23 July 2010 09:45:47
    iPhoto is a cunt. Every couple of months I convince myself to try and use it again as I like some of the features and the interface but then I quickly lose patience with it and fall back on picassa again.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2010 12:24:17
    nickthegun wrote:
    Just so you know, its not a great idea to do this as, aside from the security issues, it can lead to screwed permissions.
    Works fine for me.

What would the security issues be anyway? Surely that's what the shared users folder is for? :D
  • Jackface 23 Jul 2010 13:11:17 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    Jackface wrote:
    BartonFink wrote:
    One question though:

iPhoto

Seems a little silly that you cannot set a shared location for photos. What is perilous about it exactly? What specific instructions does it need?
    EDIT: I think this really only applies to iTunes, thinking about it, but anyway here's my now out-of-date original post:

Well showing my ignorance again, I'm not too sure about iPhoto but I know in iTunes if you just decide to put your library on an external drive, for example, there's a very particular method for moving it - just dragging the iTunes folder to the drive will royally fuck up your entire iTunes library as the application will continue to expect to find it in the original place.

I'd have thought there must be a simple way for multiple users to share one iPhoto account. Do you really have to log out and in every time the other person wants to use the computer, though?
  • Jackface 23 Jul 2010 13:15:00 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Move the iphoto library to a shared folder and then create symbolic links for each user from the default place to point to it, make sure permissions are set ok
    I've had a think about it and if you're just moving the iPhoto library you may not even need to set up SymLinks.

I realised that actually I have multiple iPhoto libraries, all with different names, kept in a special folder I created called iPhoto Libraries in my Pictures folder, and keeping them here has never caused problems for iPhoto. I Alt-launch iPhoto to be given a choice of which library I wish to start-up with, and all subsequent vanilla launches of the application automatically open the last-used library.

If you really must use separate logins for each person, I reckon ecosse is right: putting the Library in a shared folder and then Alt-Launching the application in order to navigate to it and select it is your best bet.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2010 13:37:50
    I've already mentioned how to do it, and it works fine for multiple users. The only thing that needs setting is admin permissions
  • Slurmseh 23 Jul 2010 23:18:18 2,357 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got my sexy i5 MBP today! I loves it, I do!
  • BartonFink 31 Jul 2010 02:50:00 35,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye a thing of beauty indeed. Been away for a week in Spain without it .... took the HP with me just in case it was stolen.
  • Jackface 31 Jul 2010 09:55:38 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oooh, Crispy's nose out of joint there coz nobody saw his post. Only noticed that today lol
  • BartonFink 31 Jul 2010 11:49:04 35,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    BartonFink wrote:
    I know what I need to do (already done it for iTunes) but there doesn't appear to be a setting in iPhoto to set the location of the folder.
    Just move it.

When you did this for iTunes, did you move the whole folder? Library.xml included?
    iTunes was easy as it allows you to specify the location in the prefs. Found something on iPhoto help seems like it should work if I just move it and then start iPhoto on each account.
  • spindizzy 31 Jul 2010 12:09:49 6,614 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, it definitely will (I've done this in the past)
  • BartonFink 31 Jul 2010 13:36:33 35,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yup it works charm. Also stops multiple users using it at the same time which makes sense.

Only thing that's kinda annoying me now is the usual problem I have with the Mac keyboard when selecting text in a document.

So any recommendations for must have software?
  • Deleted user 31 July 2010 13:39:02
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 31 July 2010 13:39:05
    Selecting text? I don't get you.

Software wise, we'd probably need a new thread to be honest. I'm too hungover to list what I use but I'll attempt it later.
  • Derblington 31 Jul 2010 13:41:41 22,300 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A mac software thread would be awesome.
  • BartonFink 31 Jul 2010 13:46:31 35,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:

On a PC keyboard you use SHIFT+HOME, SHIFT+END, etc to select blocks of text. Mac keyboard is a little more convoluted. I'll get there though just a matter of getting used to it, no biggie.
  • BartonFink 31 Jul 2010 13:47:51 35,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:

Software wise, we'd probably need a new thread to be honest. I'm too hungover to list what I use but I'll attempt it later.
    Excellent that would be great.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2010 13:55:52
    BartonFink wrote:
    So any recommendations for must have software?
    You probably don't want my recommendations but I'll give you a list of some of the programs I can't live without now.

BetterTouchTool - turns the trackpad into a square of pure awesomeness.
    Spell Catcher
    Tracks
    Scrivener
    Things
    Paintbrush
    UnRarX
    Transmission
    Growl
    iSquint

There a ton more but I just realised that a lot of what I am listing are paid for apps and you can probably get alternatives for free.
  • askew 31 Jul 2010 13:57:27 12,729 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:

On a PC keyboard you use SHIFT+HOME, SHIFT+END, etc to select blocks of text. Mac keyboard is a little more convoluted. I'll get there though just a matter of getting used to it, no biggie.

Use Alt + arrows to travel along words, cmd + arrows to go to beginning and end of line. Hold shift to highlight!
  • BartonFink 31 Jul 2010 14:01:04 35,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I know how to do it, it's just hard to get used to it after using standard keyboards for so many years.
  • Deleted user 2 August 2010 20:32:06
    What's the opinion on the gloss or matte screen option?
  • Jeepers 2 Aug 2010 20:33:54 13,315 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Keyser_Soze wrote:

Gloss for (slightly) richer colours, matte for (slightly) less reflectivity.

I've got the gloss-screened Macbook and altho' I'll occasionally notice reflections in bright light, it doesn't bother me too much. ymmv.
  • Deleted user 2 August 2010 20:41:37
    I'm leaning towards the matte screen as I'll be using it for colour critical work but the gloss looks so much nicer. Anyone know of a good comparison article?
  • BartonFink 2 Aug 2010 20:43:57 35,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Keyser_Soze wrote:
    Have hooked it up to my Samsung 19" monitor which has a matte screen. Much prefer the look of the glossy. Colours just look better for pictures.
  • Deleted user 2 August 2010 20:46:42
    I've heard the colours are more vibrant but wonder are they as accurate. Which HDD did you go for?
  • Page

of 25 First / Last