thatgamecompany presents... Journey Page 15

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• Trafford 27 Jun 2013 00:53:47 5,720 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Glad you enjoyed it Charlie.

I never got anything spiritual from this.
    For me it's just a nice game to play in one sitting after a big joint.
    Unlike Flower with its god awful controls.
  • FuzzyDuck 31 Jul 2013 17:28:38 4,003 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Having picked up the Collector's Ed. disc at the weekend, I'm about to start this.

Played Flower - thought it was nonsense. The same for flOw.

I'm looking for something that's relaxing and colourful (to compliment TLoU), but it needs to have something resembling depth. Mario Galaxy 2 is currently being played heavily, so I hope this can keep me away from that, even for just a few hours...
  • CharlieStCloud 31 Jul 2013 17:40:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Played Flower - thought it was nonsense.
    The fuck?

Opinions are opinions, yes ... but flower is a beautifully serene game to play in one sitting, especially with a pair of headphones on.

I nearly cried at the end.

: (

You are an animal.

A petal, which one could relate to as a HUMAN BEINGS SOUL almost died at the end and you say it is 'nonsense'?

I do not know how to react.

Maybe anger?

I shall let you know when I know.
  • King_Edward 31 Jul 2013 18:10:04 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    flOw was a weird one. I got sucked in for something ridiculous like 8 straight hours, but I've ever had short dabbles since. Flower I found genuinely moving, taking you from a fragile petal, to giving you the full power of the wind.

I'm a huge fan of Jenova. I consider him and TGC one of true visionaries of gamings future as an art form.
  • FuzzyDuck 31 Jul 2013 20:37:32 4,003 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Played Flower - thought it was nonsense.
    The fuck?
    You are an animal.
    Yes, I am a duck :p

My experience of Flower wasn't some earth shattering emotional journey, it was more move controller in a vague, uncomfortable motion, something vague happens on screen.

And I've just finished Journey.

Graphics and art design - 10/10
    Soundtrack - 9/10
    Gameplay (the main reason I buy these things) - 4/10

Let's be honest chaps, there's fuck all of an actual game here (and I don't means in terms of length, there's sweet fuck all in terms of actual mechanics and stuff to do).

Clothes don't maketh the man. It can look as good as it wants, but when it plays like an interactive tech demo, it can go swing.

I think I've come to the conclusion thatgamecompany's 'games' aren't for me. Picking up that collection also reinforced the notion that a lot of indie games are just shallow, hipster bullshit.

Oh well, back to Mario Galaxy 2 I go, and off to the second hand bin the Journey disc will go tomorrow.
  • Flying_Pig 31 Jul 2013 20:48:48 10,858 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :(
  • King_Edward 31 Jul 2013 20:50:57 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pig >>> Duck.
  • Flying_Pig 31 Jul 2013 20:56:36 10,858 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    \o/
  • FuzzyDuck 31 Jul 2013 21:01:20 4,003 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sorry chaps, just thought it was a drivel game with a decent lick of paint!
  • ibenam 31 Jul 2013 21:16:55 1,378 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck YOU MONSTER!
  • King_Edward 31 Jul 2013 21:23:15 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
  • CharlieStCloud 31 Jul 2013 21:35:16 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I feel like you have HARMED this thread.

... HARMED this thread of its good will and happily happy folks at their happiest within the confines of happiness.

Journey is just that, a journey.

It is a shame you kept thinking 'gameplay, gameplay, gameplay' in an experience you simply cannot find anywhere else. I am not a religious person as such, but the ending is as close to a religious experience I shall ever pursue and again, maybe you missed the point of those experiences.

They are personal ones.

Deep within your hearts contents.

One that you, unfortunately, may not have.

I shall pray for your instability tonight, FuzzyDuck.
  • FuzzyDuck 1 Aug 2013 01:11:37 4,003 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No need for salvation, I just thought it was a poor game with decent art design :/
  • Syrette 1 Aug 2013 01:18:27 43,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    I feel like you have HARMED this thread.

... HARMED this thread of its good will and happily happy folks at their happiest within the confines of happiness.

Journey is just that, a journey.

It is a shame you kept thinking 'gameplay, gameplay, gameplay' in an experience you simply cannot find anywhere else. I am not a religious person as such, but the ending is as close to a religious experience I shall ever pursue and again, maybe you missed the point of those experiences.

They are personal ones.

Deep within your hearts contents.

One that you, unfortunately, may not have.
    Oh sweet Jesus, you're actually serious with this aren't you...

• danathjo 1 Aug 2013 08:23:06 7,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    #pray4fuzzyduck
  • djronz. 1 Aug 2013 10:03:26 266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Someone here mentioned that it was the oy fame they've played where they didn't feel the need to collect everything,  well,  I was the opposite,  i wanted to find everything,  this and flower are the only games I've played where I was compelled to get 100 percent of the trophies,.  Normally I couldn't give a toss about them.

I think those the dint like journey are missing the point a bit,  someone even called it shallow!?  It is indeed very simplistic as a game but nothing I have ever played has come close to the emotions generated by this.
  • RobAnybody 1 Aug 2013 12:00:10 890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I guess some people just can't get attached to a game if it doesn't press the conventional game buttons - it's a shame and I feel kinda sorry for those who can't get immersed in such unique wonders as Journey, Flower, even Dear Esther. But, well, we're all different so we mustn't judge ........ well, not too much anyhow. ;)
  • mcmothercruncher 1 Aug 2013 18:10:40 6,688 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You are DEAD TO ME Fuzzy!
  • Syrette 1 Aug 2013 18:19:35 43,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I enjoyed it. It just failed to grab me in the same way it has for others, and I don't think that has anything to do with pressing the "conventional game buttons". Maybe I did miss a point in a way - it just wasn't, and it isn't that special if you ask me.

Like I said in another thread however, I played and completed Journey months after release, after reading plenty of these extremely positive comments (including several along the lines of Charlie's seemingly OTT comments), and thus went into the game with a bit of a cynical mindset as I couldn't imagine a game evoking those sort of emotions in me. And it failed to, indeed. I thought it was beautiful, charming and moving but little more.

• OptimusPube 1 Aug 2013 19:07:28 2,921 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can't believe the negativity in here, I must have played this game about 20 times now and got all the trophies, the first time I played I cried at the ending, so beautiful.

You emotionless bastards.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• King_Edward 1 Aug 2013 20:34:32 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Negativity? There are like 3 peeps that didn't think it was amazing vs about a billion that were brought to tears.
  • elhozzo 2 Aug 2013 10:32:33 307 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    and its less than a fiver for PS+ people on the store NOW !!!!
  • FuzzyDuck 5 Aug 2013 03:08:54 4,003 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So...

Decided to keep the disc and just tried another journey there, except this time I went online with it. The experience was a huge improvement once I met a companion!

It was akin to those similar moments when I could pass an area in Dark Souls without dying or when I first managed to play Wipeout on faster difficulties.

Might go through it again in a few days, so I guess I've become a convert :D
  • Flying_Pig 5 Aug 2013 07:34:41 10,858 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck \o/
  • djronz. 5 Aug 2013 08:58:37 266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck

I think the game should always be played online,  even if you choose to ignore the other players the fact that they will be around somewhere adds to it somehow. 
       I had the most amazing game when I played through the whole game with someone else who was also willing to stick with me.  That in its self is often difficult to find and its also not as easy as it sounds to keep them with you and not loose each other.  I think when you experience the game with another in this way it can create a bond with the other player and that's where the emotions can be really felt.
  • CharlieStCloud 5 Aug 2013 09:00:51 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck

My prayer, upon my knees each and every night since your HARMFUL words, has finally reached out to you.

We must thank the Lord above for this miraculous moment.
  • OptimusPube 5 Aug 2013 09:54:31 2,921 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @djronz.

I agree, it's one that should be played online all the time, has any of you unlocked the white cloak?

I got 100% a while back and all the trophies.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• FuzzyDuck 5 Aug 2013 13:48:15 4,003 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @djronz.

Really? I met a fellow traveller on my first attempt right at the start and we stuck together to the very end (I got the trophies for having the same companion for the majority of the game and scaling the mountain).

I did feel a bit giddy when I first spotted their song. We were really cooperative too, they directed me to a few scarf sections, and I did the same for them.

We also lost each other a few times (the snow storm was pretty tricky to get through), but ended up waiting for each other and made it to the peak together.

I also really liked that you didn't receive any information about other players met until the game was finished. So yep, I'm a convert for sure :D
  • OptimusPube 5 Aug 2013 13:53:45 2,921 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah that's great when you get told who your companions where, on my second play I messaged my companion with thanks for a great journey and got the same back. :D

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• FuzzyDuck 5 Aug 2013 14:13:04 4,003 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yep, message them and got one back myself! :D

/feeling the Journey love.
  • Page

of 16 First / Last