thatgamecompany presents... Journey Page 14

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• boo 20 Dec 2012 12:06:29 11,936 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did everybody get this as a download? I've not played any of the three games, so was tempted by this..

Can someone just reassure me that it'll run on a standard, UK spec PS3? I know it says region free, but just want to be sure. I always get a bit twitchy when they talk about imports.

Cheers.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Cappy 20 Dec 2012 12:31:29 12,117 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It will work fine, it's a great buy.

All the games are on the disc also, not DLC codes unlike some of Sony's recent collections, I own a copy myself. The cover art is reversible by the way.
  • boo 20 Dec 2012 12:41:31 11,936 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Excellent. Cheers, Cappy!

/purchases

...and dispatched within 70 mins of placing the order! Good work, Amazon supplier!

Edited by boo at 14:49:14 20-12-2012

Just Another Lego Blog

• mothercruncher 29 Dec 2012 08:22:09 7,817 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played the later half of this late last night, with the lights off and everyone in bed.
    At the risk of being a big girl, I found it a staggering experience and I'm still moved by the sadness and then euphoria at the end. I'm stunned, can't recommended it enough.
  • Flying_Pig 29 Dec 2012 08:23:55 11,493 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Played the later half of this late last night, with the lights off and everyone in bed.
    At the risk of being a big girl, I found it a staggering experience and I'm still moved by the sadness and then euphoria at the end. I'm stunned, can't recommended it enough.
    Agree 100%. Love, love, love this game.
  • RobAnybody 29 Dec 2012 09:29:18 945 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Agreed, it's just fantastic - so well pitched in terms of story narrative and stunning visuals and music.

It's up there in my top three games, accompanied by the PC games 'To The Moon' and 'Dear Esther'. :)
  • mothercruncher 1 Jan 2013 16:46:09 7,817 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And now I gotz the Platinum... and a tasty new cloak. A wee break from it and then I'm going to be a white cloaked good samaritan type and help the little 'uns to all the secret bits :)
  • Syrette 1 Jan 2013 17:00:58 44,211 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher

Is it M.C. Mothercruncher, or McMothercruncher (like McDonalds)?

• mothercruncher 1 Jan 2013 17:23:28 7,817 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's SIR to you ;)

The latter was more the intention, but I'll respond to anything.
  • djronz. 1 Jan 2013 17:38:47 295 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    And now I gotz the Platinum... and a tasty new cloak. A wee break from it and then I'm going to be a white cloaked good samaritan type and help the little 'uns to all the secret bits :)
    I did the same after I got the white cloaks.... Quite often found that others realised I was showing secrets and left me with an angry chirp!
  • mothercruncher 2 Jan 2013 18:40:06 7,817 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, I suppose it's such a treat that people generally want to squeeze everything out of it themselves. Hmm, I'll just be all aloof and cool then ;)
  • Widge Moderator 26 Jan 2013 22:53:01 13,743 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, this was fantastic. Loved it from start to end. I pretty much had a companion from moment one, so we pushed right through the game.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Luckyjim 26 Jan 2013 23:54:43 2,874 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My game of the year 2012. Staggering experience.
  • mothercruncher 27 Jan 2013 02:26:13 7,817 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It grabbed me emotionally more than any game I can remember. Must get back to it, actually!
  • RobAnybody 14 Jun 2013 20:03:16 945 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Only just noticed that the retail disc is now available in Europe:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Journey-Collectors-Edition-PS3/dp/B00CJ37HWA

Besides Journey it also contains Flow and Flower.
  • CharlieStCloud 26 Jun 2013 21:15:05 5,530 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wow.

Just wow.

Think I had a lump in my throat at the end.

I don't know what to say.

As someone who is not overly religious, but doesn't outright deny the possibilities, this game is as close to a religious experience I'll ever witness.

That 'level' where you glide/surf on the sand?

I don't think I stopped smiling.

How on Earth is the PlayStation 3 doing all this without melting?!

I met seven companions along the way and I believe one particular player stood by my side most of the way through and soaring through the heavens with him/her after failing to climb the mountain made me feel at peace. I was so happy. I was so joyful. I felt so spiritualised.

That last walk you take together.

I don't know how I did not cry.

I felt like I was born again.

If that is what religious people feel when they seek Him, I envy them.

To feel what I felt empowered me.

... and yet, it also frightened me.

Amen.
  • danathjo 26 Jun 2013 21:22:16 7,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So you liked it then?
  • Syrette 26 Jun 2013 21:25:53 44,211 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted

• SomaticSense 26 Jun 2013 21:29:12 9,145 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mrpon 26 Jun 2013 21:35:53 29,563 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mothercruncher 26 Jun 2013 21:43:12 7,817 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really glad you liked it Charlie, a total gem. That end sequence was really euphoric after the slow wind down on the mountain.
    If you play again and collect enough items you eventually get to wear a swanky white cloak :p

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 21:44:23 26-06-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Jun 2013 21:44:45 17,368 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I remember one Journey I had where I went a good 2/3 of the way through with someone who had the most vibrant and awesome trail only to get completely distracted and then I lost him. I was sad to see him go.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Syrette 26 Jun 2013 21:46:46 44,211 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Going to go on record as calling this the most overrated game of this generation.

This is the point where someone will reply with "it's an experience, not a game".

Well, sorry, as a game it was decent but short, and as en experience it touched me and I enjoyed it. But I never came close to tears or whatever Charlie was rambling on about above. In fact reading his post has actually made me more emotional than the game did, as I'm now doubled over in pain from cringing so much.

• CharlieStCloud 26 Jun 2013 21:52:01 5,530 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The strange thing is, and I am truly on the verge of tears (perhaps Holy tears, for I am possibly converted ... a 'born again' man?) as I say these shaky words, why would I choose to take the Journey again when I feel I have already taken it?

Surely, 'playing again' is like playing God?

Why 'play God' when the Journey has come to an end, like the leaves on a tree; Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.

The four seasons. The four parts of our lives. I have passed and undertaken the first season, for now Summer awaits. I think that this is what He means.

I think I finally understand.

... could this really be it? Our one Journey? Our one fulfilment?

It does make me wonder.

I wonder if it may well make you wonder.

I hope so.

I really hope so.
  • CharlieStCloud 26 Jun 2013 22:10:00 5,530 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Syrette

I think we have different kind of hearts, maybe different souls even?

I am sorry if my Journey made you tremble within the effects of a cringe-like emotion, but alas, my deed is my deed and my words became my words.

Perhaps you seek solace, for your human heart cannot be penetrated by purity and goodness?
  • King_Edward 26 Jun 2013 22:11:19 11,471 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All we are, is dust in the wind dude.
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Jun 2013 22:17:12 17,368 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Indeed, I don't really believe in a soul and I found it pretty life affirming and affecting. The religiosity of the setting doesn't make it any more or less of an impactful game for me.

You are a factory of sadness.

• gammonbanter 26 Jun 2013 22:28:01 1,519 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    All we are, is dust in the wind dude.
    "Dust...."
    /pours dust
    "Wind"
    /blows dust
    "Dude"
    /Points
  • mothercruncher 26 Jun 2013 23:06:18 7,817 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Going to go on record as calling this the most overrated game of this generation.

This is the point where someone will reply with "it's an experience, not a game".

Well, sorry, as a game it was decent but short, and as en experience it touched me and I enjoyed it. But I never came close to tears or whatever Charlie was rambling on about above. In fact reading his post has actually made me more emotional than the game did, as I'm now doubled over in pain from cringing so much.
    You do tend to need to assert the opposite point of view on the forum a lot. I've absolutely no issue with that, indeed it's healthy to question the status quo, but a bit more respect please?
    If someone got that much of a thrill out of it, why do you need to belittle them at the same time as stating your view?
  • Triggerhappytel 26 Jun 2013 23:51:18 2,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Syrette's just a lot more cynical than most of us. I can see why people wouldn't like this game all that much; in terms of actual literal gameplay and mechanics there's not a lot to it, but I thought it was so beautifully put together, the music was perfect, the co-op was inventive, I really liked the minimalist storytelling and it has wonderful art and breathtaking views. I too read into it as a lot of deeper spiritual meaning, and I found it both warming and heartbreaking at the same time. It's probably the only game this gen I've really enjoyed where I didn't try to look for trophies, because the one playthrough felt just perfect, and I didn't want to dilute the experience by searching for arbitrary rewards. It's probably the only game I've ever finished in one sitting, and my first thought was to open my laptop and send an email to thatgamecompany telling them how much I loved it.

For the record, I think Flower is possibly a better game though. I got much of the same feeling from Flower, and I found it a bit more inventive. Both wonderful games though, and I really look forward to their next work.
  • Page

of 16 First / Last