Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 3DS

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • INSOMANiAC 16 Jun 2010 00:46:25 3,788 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks absolutely gorgeous, cant wait for this !

http://kotaku.com/5564462/paper-mario-brings-2d-to-the-3ds

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• neilka 16 Jun 2010 01:03:01 14,942 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great news, let's hope it's more Paper Mario 1 &2 than Super Paper Mario though.
  • INSOMANiAC 16 Jun 2010 01:04:39 3,788 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah ive got super paper mario and I only played it for a couple of hours. It looked really good but I cant seem to get into it, may have to give it another go.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Sharks 16 Jun 2010 01:06:05 5,136 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Great news, let's hope it's more Paper Mario 1 &2 than Super Paper Mario though.

It'll probably just be a compilation of 1 & 2 with nothing new added to the gameplay, so you won't be disappointed.

(actually i'd probably get that anyway, seeing as it's been years since I've played The Thousand Year Door and I've never played the original. So I shouldn't scoff)
  • Deleted user 16 June 2010 01:07:48
    Hopefully this has the battle system that made Paper Mario 2 on the GameCube such a joy (and from the look of the screenshots, it does!). Paper Mario on the Wii was a total disaster.
  • meggsy 16 Jun 2010 01:23:58 1,628 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The software list keeps getting better and better - maybe a catch-all thread with a list of all confirmed titles would be a good idea? Separated by publisher maybe?

Otherwise these gems are going to get swamped...

I just need a release date for the handheld...

3DS: 3454-0647-5991

• Deleted user 16 June 2010 09:14:29
    I quite like Super Paper Mario, but I'm glad they've gone back to the style of the first two. The game itself seems a perfect fit for the 3DS.
  • Deleted user 16 June 2010 16:34:14
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Hopefully this has the battle system that made Paper Mario 2 on the GameCube such a joy (and from the look of the screenshots, it does!). Paper Mario on the Wii was a total disaster.

I can see how many people would find Super Paper Mario to be a rather odd mishmash of genres. But the inventiveness behind it, in terms of gameplay and narrative, was pretty great. At times I wanted it to hurry up, but it was consistently rewarding.
  • neilka 7 Jun 2011 21:09:32 14,942 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ready to touch yourself inappropriately?

BEGIN
  • mrpon 7 Jun 2011 21:14:15 27,643 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looks nice!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• el_pollo_diablo 7 Jun 2011 21:20:26 2,031 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well this has just shot to the top of my list. Looks lovely.
  • neilka 5 Jun 2012 19:07:35 14,942 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Now called Paper Mario: Sticker Star and coming out this "holiday season" (sigh).
  • neilka 4 Oct 2012 11:32:57 14,942 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So... out next month in the US but no release date at all here. And no importing this time.

:(
  • roz123 4 Oct 2012 11:38:39 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There is a Nintendo Direct tonight at 7pm we should get the details then.
  • Raiko101 4 Oct 2012 12:54:25 5,532 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hopefully in November, although that's going to clash with my new console. :/

It's hard to believe this game has been in development for two years. Hope it shows!

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• roz123 4 Oct 2012 19:04:51 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    7th December. Goat attack!
  • neilka 4 Oct 2012 19:58:19 14,942 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^______________________________^
  • roz123 5 Oct 2012 08:54:42 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago

There are lots of previews on sites like IGN, Gamespot, 1up etc.
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/10/05/paper-mario-sticker-star-the-complicated-world-of-stickers

Sounds like every attack you do means losing a sticker which makes it difficult to save the best ones
  • neilka 5 Oct 2012 09:01:55 14,942 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't wait, Super Paper was a bit of a disappointment but this looks like a return to form.
  • roz123 17 Oct 2012 09:13:15 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The first 34 mins of Paper Mario, I haven't watched half of it because of spoilers but this is the best footage I have seen for this game and it has pretty much sealed the deal on me getting it. I would recommend watching this with sound because the music is great.
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Oct 2012 12:42:34 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That music IS great. Jaaaazzzzzy!
    Looks excellent, Paper Bowser is always a great character.
  • andywilkie35 17 Oct 2012 13:47:01 5,338 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Perfect game to get for Christmas I reckon, can't wait.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 17 Oct 2012 14:01:43 10,785 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yup its going to be my Christmas game. Huddled away from the family with a glass of wine and a few minced pies :)
  • roz123 6 Nov 2012 23:17:44 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    First reviews are in. It's averaging around 80 and seems like its a large game with great style, humour and an inventive battle system. The main negative seems to be that some puzzles are very difficult to solve and can be frustrating. Here is one review
    http://www.1up.com/reviews/paper-mario-sticker-star-review

Edited by roz123 at 23:18:28 06-11-2012
  • Deleted user 6 November 2012 23:30:21
    Looking forward to this, but might wait till post christmas, my bank account is going to take a massive hit from now up to christmas.

I might treat myself to the new 3ds to go with it as well.
  • mal 7 Nov 2012 03:43:08 21,937 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm 8/10 is a little disappointing, but then IIRC I did enjoy the first two games more that reviews would suggest for their ability to take the piss out of both Nintendo games and RPG conventions in the same breath. Never got round to trying the Wii iteration, but then I trust Intelligent Systems to do no wrong, so I'll buy almost anything they produce (provided I own the hardware).

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• JinTypeNoir 10 Nov 2012 10:35:48 4,365 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So now that Paper Mario is close to release, how about we take the time in this thread to post our thoughts on the other Mario RPGs?

Super Mario RPG - a great game for its time, but compared to the Mario RPGs that came next, this one played it very safe.

Paper Mario - Fantastic reinvention of the Mario RPG concept in only the second game, but as the its only the second outing, they hadn't quite figured out yet how to make the environments as fun to explore as the platformers can be

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - One of the best RPGs of its generation and outstanding accomplishment in every area. Funny, diverse, creative, bizarre, deep and even slightly thought-provoking.

Mario & Luigi - Alpha Dream was once a fledgling developer who got a chance to make what proved to be the prototype for this game, Tomato Adventure. I liked Tomato Adventure a little better, and there was an ever-so-slight tendency for this one to feel a bit like it could be a different IP's game. However, that's been unfair to a downright brilliant game that is innovative in a different way to Thousand Year Door.

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - Those slight areas in the original that felt ever so slightly off kilter from the Mario world become a problem in this one, but beside that it is still an inventive, rich and deep RPG, with the bonus of well-done time travel scenarios.

Super Paper Mario - Perhaps my favorite in the entire series, believe it or not, simply because it is so...I don't know what to call it, avant garde? Ridiculously meta? Existentially traumatized? This game is proof that many real classics in a field are uneven works that divide opinion.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - The best in the Mario & Luigi series and the game where Alpha Dream finally nails the Mario World to perfection, arguably better than Intelligent Systems and undoubtedly better than Square. The only thing I really dislike is that the mechanics can get so dense they can cause confusion and distress later in the game and in the optional mini games, its maybe too difficult to score the ultimate prize.
  • Raiko101 11 Nov 2012 16:18:11 5,532 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ashamedly, I can only say i've played two of those games. Firstly, Super Mario RPG, which I found to be quite boring. I know i'm completely on my own with this one, but having not played it when it first came out, I get a weird sensation of loneliness playing it. If feels quite simply and empty somehow. I don't know. I can't explain it any better than that lol.

The second game is Super Paper Mario, which I know is quite a bit different to the rest of that series, but I really enjoyed it. Some clever ideas, great visuals and just a fun experience. It's the reason i'm interested in this one!

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• mal 11 Nov 2012 19:52:08 21,937 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not yet played Super Mario RPG, but I hope to remedy that soon. I think the first Mario RPG I played was the first Mario & Luigi game on GBA which I enjoyed, but got stumped with a difficulty spike later in the game and IIRC no way to grind to enable a simpleton like me to get past it.

Certainly the first Paper Mario game I completed was Thousand Year Door which I enjoyed immensely for how it seemed to take the piss out of both RPG excesses of enemies with 10000HP, and Nintendo's own characters with a wicked script and animation, not to mention some rather smart bits of visual design. After completing that, our own Alistair very kindly lent me the N64 Paper Mario and I fairly burned through that (by my own part-time standards at least), and it took a little of the shine off Thousand Year door as it showed how much good stuff was there from the start, but on consideration these days I'd find it hard to say which of the two is the better game.

I skipped Super Paper Mario after some of the reviews and feedback started to come in. And I never bothered with the Mario & Luigi series after not completing the first game, and after the reviews suggesting the sequels weren't quite as good as the original.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous