Donkey Kong Country Returns Page 8

  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

  • trip919 9 Jan 2011 11:19:09 2,259 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    So it's vastly harder then the trilogy on the SNES then? They could be quite trying on some levels (although persistence won out).
    About the same really.

    Most games are a walk in the park these days, I think it'll be good to have some good old fashioned challenge.

    Complete the game and its a real toughie:

    mirror mode, with no Diddy Kong and only one heart. Bear in mind that when you have Diddy Kong, you get 4 hearts. Love this game. My only gripe is the flying levels. Found it hard to control. Oh and the time attacks are near impossible to get gold on.

    Mirror Mode does sound evil, have you or anyone done this yet?
  • Jono62 9 Jan 2011 11:37:35 13,965 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Haven't tried it yet. Get the feeling its going to be bloody difficult.
  • figaro7 9 Jan 2011 20:50:15 1,362 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nope i didnt bother trying it either, unlocking it was an acheivement itself i reckon!
  • Derblington 15 Jan 2011 16:32:24 21,346 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bought a Wii 2 days ago with this, NSMB and Galaxy 2. Only played this so far, and I'm only 9 levels in, but it's a cracking platformer. Loving it.
  • famous_roy 19 Jan 2011 13:34:24 4,099 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sweet Jesus, finally got a gold in the time trial.. On the FIRST level! Feels like such an achievement though, this game will keep me busy for some time...

    I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

  • SG 28 Mar 2011 10:37:53 1,885 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    SG wrote:
    I think I'm being a bit of an old git saying that I want more animals, want the Kongs to work the same way as in the previous 3 games so Diddy isn't just a powerup and water levels. It feels like more of a spin-off.

    I think it feels more like a rebirth!
    Wow, that was a while ago. Well, fter getting up to the 8th world and having got to grips with the controls and accepting that this is not a traditional DKC game, I think I can say I have a much better grasp of the game. I think that a more literally accurate name for the game would be 'DKC Reimagined'; it features the same style of levels minus underwater and snow environments and has thrown in a few more ideas compared to the original (beach,volcano). It also makes a point of rejigging the majority of music.

    I see it as a much better game than I did beforehand if I see it as an individual game in itself as opposed to a sequel. This is quite a different game to the initial DKC trilogy. I don't understand restricting the influence to only the first game - why are there not parts from DKC 2 and 3? I wish it didn't copy so much from the first because it's like they're trying to do the same but better,whereas the best parts are the bits that are original. The game is best when it has its own ideas, like the factory full of smoke with Mr. Game & Watch in the background.

    Oh, and the bonus levels on 2 and particularly 3 are much, much better than the seldom-varied and somewhat overused and uninspired levels here. Overall I'd give this a 8/10. It'd probably get a 9 were it not for the idiotic difficulty spike with instant death from cart levels and the lack of DK barrels at the beginning of some levels (which means if you want to start with Diddy you can anyway but you have to go through the inconvenience of first going to another level and get him, exit and then go back to the level that you wanted to start with him on).

    Given that they did such a great job on this, I'd love them to do 2 more games using the same engine rather than a different game altogether - look how good the original game's two sequels were and how good SMG2 was because it could be made quicker, given that it had an engine already in place. Although I really wish that they'd add in underwater sections and more animal buddies - the spider, parrot and elephant were particularly clever, game-changing animals. Enguard's over-used though - he's just an underwater Rambi. How about dolphin buddy?

    Actually that's a thought, I'd love to get hold of the Gameboy versions of Donkey Kong Land 1, 2 & 3 via virtual console on the 3DS. Anyway ramble over. Oh yeah, the time trial is a stupid idea - talk about forcing you to play a level over and over so that you learn to despise it. I'll be leaving that alone and just 100%ing the other aspects of the game (getting all the puzzle pieces, KONG letters and secret levels).
  • rickimalone 31 Mar 2011 16:28:11 15 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stock on the final boss, nightmare!

    Best game on the Wii IMHO
  • MrVengeance 26 Jun 2011 19:57:05 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I love a good challenge in a game, me. I love 2D shmups and Ikaruga sits comfortably in my Top 10 favourite games of all time. I love technical fighters, hardcore strat-RPGs like Disgaea, and my Halo on at least Heroic, but fuck me is this game difficult!

    I can't help but think that if it was just a little bit easier it would actually be more enjoyable to actually play. Sure, its a huge buzz when you finish a brutal stage, but is it much fun as you are playing through that particular stage? I don't think it is.

    After you get really good then the stages are more enjoyable - you're sharper, you know whats coming up and can react to it. The game demands that you get good at it and memorise it. However, this is at the cost of making the stages not all that enjoyable at times when you first play through them.

    Having just beat the Cave world, I feel battered and bruised as a gamer! I'm not sure if I will ever beat the whole game - its not that I can't do it - I could with practice, persistence and a lot of patience, but do I want to invest all that time, given that I have a gigantic backlog to be getting through? Do I want to bring all that frustration that undoubtedly lies ahead onto myself?

    Having said that.... I have an urge to keep playing. There is something very special about this title - if it were in HD it would look every bit as good as an Xbox 360 game. The controls are godd and the variety in the levels is great. It plays very well in the early stages and is fun when it is not kicking your ass.

    The instant deaths and brutal checkpointing at times are a real issue - its laughably hard at times, but for whatever reason I just keep playing it.... If it had a "normal" difficulty option it may not be the same game. This game feels like it fluctuates between your typical "hard" and "very hard" options in most other games.

    The difficulty brings this game back to the old school way of doing things. Back when a game would last you months as it was filled with so much content and challenge. I'm going to reserve overall judgement for a while yet and play on before coming to a final verdict on the game. Could well be a flawed masterpiece.

    famous_roy wrote:
    Goes to show that if Other M had been handed over to Retro, we could have had possibly the greatest 2D Metroid since Shadow Complex ;)

    Well, they would have done a darn sight better than Team Ninja, silly Nintendo!

    I have to politely disagree mate.

    Metroid: Other M was my Game of the Year 2010. Much prefered it to the Primes. I thought it was a far better update to the sublime 2D efforts than the Prime trilogy. I know its not perfect - it took a while to get going and the final boss gave me a good bit of bother (until I worked it out), but it had a magical atmosphere, brilliant visuals, stunning gameplay and great characterisation.
  • MrVengeance 28 Jun 2011 21:16:03 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ....and I beat the game. Played the shit out of it over the last three or four days, and having died about a thousand times (possibly) I beat the game.... don't think I'll ever fully complete it as just beating the final boss was possibly the hardest thing I have ever done in a game [u]ever[/u]. So what I think then....

    You have to wonder what Retro were trying to do with this game. Some of the difficult bits were absolutely wonderful; deliciously juicy challenges that any hardcore gamer would relish, other sections were just brutally hard, badly designed and technically poor.

    Fighting the final boss was fucking horrible. I think going into it I was pretty tired having played from the start of World 7. I finally beat the bugger having spent more than 7 hours playing the game today.

    I don't do crazy stuff like that often - in fact, hardly ever, but I just felt compelled to beat this game for whatever reason. I think it was because I wanted to see if I really could do it, and to see if it actually got any harder than the unbelievably tricky World 4. Some of the levels in the last two worlds, particularly the stupid barrel stages were just as tough.

    The collision detection and controls in the barrel levels are terrible. The hit-box is enormous and trying to maneuver the thing is very hard. The minecart stages are very very hard too, but a little fairer.

    The platforming levels are very challenging but in a good way most of the time. Exploring the levels for secrets is a joy. Anticipating the next beautiful vista or spectacular setpiece is incredibly compelling.

    I enjoyed the bosses but the last one was so hard. After the ascent up to him, which was hard enough, if you were beat by him and restarted you lost Diddy, meaning you had to fell him with just two hearts. Unbelievable. Without Diddy leverage finishing him off at the end of the fight was a nightmare. You get the odd one of two given to you throughout the battle but its that hard and there is so many opportunities for him to hit you it really isn't good enough. The collision detection on him on the last hit is impossible to activiate from a normal jump - I hit hit weak spot time and time again from what I could see but it would not register - you had to hit him after a roll and jump which was extremely hard to set up as you couldn't work out where he was going to land during his vunerable attacking moment.

    Probably the hardest final boss I have ever beaten in a game. Even harder than the 5 stage nightmare that was the final fight in Donkey Kong 64.

    Overall, I loved this game when it was being harsh, but fair. I didn't like it when it was being brutally unfair, but there you go. Overall a great title with beautiful graphics, music, high production values and incredibly enjoyable gameplay owing to many, many wonderful level designs - I particularly enjoyed Worlds 5 and 6, but potential purchasers should be forewarned that Donkey Kong Country Returns is one harsh mistress. One minute you will love it and perhaps see it as the best game on the console, on the other, the disc was nearly snapped in half this evening in my house.....
  • SG 28 Jun 2011 21:42:11 1,885 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really need to get back into this. I'm at the beginning of the volcano world; all levels so far have all KONG letters and jigsaw pieces bar 2 of the temple levels.

    I've not been gaming enough at all recently. I need to dive back in, cos I love it when I'm 'in there'. I've still got about 98% of Okamiden to finish!

    Anyway, if could change anything about the game, it'd b the instant deaths. I don't know what convinced Retro to make them like that.
  • kentmonkey 28 Jun 2011 23:12:23 20,454 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrVengeance wrote:

    I enjoyed the bosses but the last one was so hard. After the ascent up to him, which was hard enough, if you were beat by him and restarted you lost Diddy, meaning you had to fell him with just two hearts. Unbelievable. Without Diddy leverage finishing him off at the end of the fight was a nightmare. You get the odd one of two given to you throughout the battle but its that hard and there is so many opportunities for him to hit you it really isn't good enough. The collision detection on him on the last hit is impossible to activiate from a normal jump - I hit hit weak spot time and time again from what I could see but it would not register - you had to hit him after a roll and jump which was extremely hard to set up as you couldn't work out where he was going to land during his vunerable attacking moment.


    I'm only at the very start of World 4 so I don't know for certain but...couldn't you have just bought one of those things from the shop to give you an extra 10 hearts of life (it's called infinite health I think, although it's not) and beat him that way? Surely that would have made it easier?

    So far it's hard but not too hard up to World 4. I've died a few times but I've got (from memory) 97 lives and also a metric fucktonne of coins to spend if I need to. There was one level in World 3 I lost about 15 lives to, but otherwise probably between 0-3 lives per level at the moment.

    I expect it to become much harder though.
  • Deleted user 28 June 2011 23:35:02
    Bought my lad this last week for his birthday. First impressions (from him) are that it's tough. Compared to Lego games anyhow. That's a given.

    From what little I saw of it, it looks really good fun and I like the Mario-esque world map feature with secret paths.
  • MrVengeance 29 Jun 2011 11:52:34 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    MrVengeance wrote:

    I enjoyed the bosses but the last one was so hard. After the ascent up to him, which was hard enough, if you were beat by him and restarted you lost Diddy, meaning you had to fell him with just two hearts. Unbelievable. Without Diddy leverage finishing him off at the end of the fight was a nightmare. You get the odd one of two given to you throughout the battle but its that hard and there is so many opportunities for him to hit you it really isn't good enough. The collision detection on him on the last hit is impossible to activiate from a normal jump - I hit hit weak spot time and time again from what I could see but it would not register - you had to hit him after a roll and jump which was extremely hard to set up as you couldn't work out where he was going to land during his vunerable attacking moment.


    I'm only at the very start of World 4 so I don't know for certain but...couldn't you have just bought one of those things from the shop to give you an extra 10 hearts of life (it's called infinite health I think, although it's not) and beat him that way? Surely that would have made it easier?

    So far it's hard but not too hard up to World 4. I've died a few times but I've got (from memory) 97 lives and also a metric fucktonne of coins to spend if I need to. There was one level in World 3 I lost about 15 lives to, but otherwise probably between 0-3 lives per level at the moment.

    I expect it to become much harder though.

    Yeah I could have got the pseudo invincibility item but if you have that, and "die" on the way up to the boss then you are screwed and the thing costs 20 coins. Without spoiling it on you the acsent to the boss is tricky, but not the toughest thing in the game. It was going to have to be an option alright for me if I wasn't going to beat him with my two hearts.

    The lack of checkpointing and making it a bit more of a comfortable play experience is a MASSIVE oversight on the part of Retro Studios. They really seem to want to frustrate people. You really need a lot of patience with this game. I would personally recommend playing it in small bursts when the going gets tough - do not going on a 7 hour bender at it like me yesterday! Having said that, it is very addictive and you just want to have one more go at it..... and then when you do beat a particularly tough level you will feel great.... ad then try the next one and the whole bloody process starts again.... lol

    It is a brilliant game, despite Retro Studio's best efforts to piss you off. I don't think I'll ever find another level hard after some of the stages in this game! World 4 is the hardest part of the game in some ways - its a huge spike in difficulty, but you will learn from this World and will be better equiped for what comes next. It really doesn't get any easier as you go through the game, though I found World 6 to be tough, but not that tough. World 8 is the hardest World in the game, but you will be very skilled by the time you get there. Just take it slowly and be patient and you will finish the game. It is an immense challenge but can be done.

    I welcome the game's challenge, but feel that the game would have been better with some better checkpointing, no 1-Hit kills, better controls for the rocket barrel stages and improved collision detection in a number of areas. Checkpointing in particular is so important - who wants to do sections of levels over and over that you have long since mastered? You want to be at the parts that you are having problems with and sending you back miles is just a waste of your time!

    Having said all that, its still a wonderous experience, and a better game than Kirby's Epic Yarn - a lovely, charming little game that is hardly any challenge at all. Kirby will hardly ever frustrate you but its just not the same game as DKCR. Which suggests that even with its faults, Donkey Kong Country Returns is an outstanding experience - just so long as you have patience that is!
  • kentmonkey 29 Jun 2011 16:59:20 20,454 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tried to go on a seven-eight hour bender on it last week (I've had the week off and spent three of the days playing games for about that amount of time) and after two hours I'd had enough.

    It's certainly not a game to play in lengthy bursts. While it's undeniably great, it's also frustrating.
  • kinky_mong 29 Jun 2011 17:02:23 9,985 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got all the puzzle pieces and finished the last hidden level a few weeks ago to get 100% on the game. Was tempted to do the mirror mode to get to 200% but played the first level and soon changed my mind. Having only one heart and no Diddy would be way too frustrating for most of the later levels.

    I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

  • MrVengeance 29 Jun 2011 23:20:36 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    I tried to go on a seven-eight hour bender on it last week (I've had the week off and spent three of the days playing games for about that amount of time) and after two hours I'd had enough.

    It's certainly not a game to play in lengthy bursts. While it's undeniably great, it's also frustrating.

    Yes, I would not recommend monster sessions on this game! Unfortunately, I've started to do just that recently. Its a bit of a nasty habit I've developed over the last year. It all started with Bayonetta, where I completed the game in just three sittings, the last of which was probably half the game and by the time the final boss was beat it was after 4am and I was exhausted! Done similarly stupid things with Kirby's Epic Yarn recently (completed it in two sittings, the second of which saw me play from the start of World 2 until the end!), Bioshock 2, and many others. I don't know why I do it, I guess I just decide I want to get to the end of the game but end up playing too long, thinking the end is closer than it actually is.

    Anyway, playing DK in short bursts is the way to go, and I painted it as a really brutally hard game above in my other posts. Whilst it is as hard as described, I was probably a little tired playing it, and when you play it in short burst you are sharper. I say this because today I returned to it for a hair of the dog that bit me, and enjoyed it immensely. I decided to have a go again at a couple of the most trying levels and found them to be easier than I remembered. I beat two of the toughest rocket barrel stages without losing too many lives. I suppose not only was I fresher, and less stressed, but I was also quite skilled at it at that point. The rocket barrel is a right nasty bugger to control, but with a lot of practice it can be mastered.

    Having whizzed through a couple of more levels I decide to go and try a few of the secret stages in each world. I found them all to be fairly easy going for the most part. There was another rocket stage in World 4 I think it was, and I done it on my first go! Absolutely delighted with that :) Proceeded to beat all the secret stages and enjoyed every one - particularly the astoundingly beautiful secret level in World 8 - truly a sight to behold. Why can't all Wii games look that good?

    I had a good bit of fun collecting KONG icons too in the second world and unlocked the K level on that, which is very tough. I beat the first K level in World 1 after a lot of attempts (and finally a "invincibility" banana juice). I really don't know if I will ever do all the K stages and unlock the final level, but you never know. I really enjoy playing this game, just for the sake of playing it. There's just something truly wonderful about the levels, the atmosphere and design. Each level is beautifully designed and bursting with secrets. When atop a mountain stage you feel right up in the clouds, vunerable to a fall. Swinging around the dark forests is so atmospheric and the factory feels really futuristic. The beach levels are so summery but decend into a storm so brilliantly as you progress.

    The graphics and art direction are flawless. Everything about the game is superb from the very minute you get going at it presentation-wise. No game will ever seem hard though after beating this, thats for sure!

    This is a jewel in the crown for the Wii, a game to shut up the naysayers. Donkey Kong's world is stunning. I would love to play it in an adventure style game to explore it more fully. Hopefully we will see more DK from Retro Studios in the future, with a bit more consideration for possible player frustrations on some of the stages!
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 07:17:36
    Yesterday my lad completed the level 2.3 (I think) where you have to ride a barrel across the screen while a pirate ship chases you shooting cannonballs in your path.

    It looked tough as hell but, all credit, he got it done eventually.

    From what little I've seen DKCR looks a really fun game - he's certainly playing it more than he did with either of the SMGs.
  • Red_Bool 10 Jul 2011 09:48:00 1,173 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    Yesterday my lad completed the level 2.3 (I think) where you have to ride a barrel across the screen while a pirate ship chases you shooting cannonballs in your path.

    It looked tough as hell but, all credit, he got it done eventually.

    From what little I've seen DKCR looks a really fun game - he's certainly playing it more than he did with either of the SMGs.
    It *is* tough as nails! When my kids want me to help them out, even I am having a really tough time :-) Seeing my 7yr old beat the world 6 boss made me feel real proud :-D
    This is really old-school hard!
  • MrVengeance 11 Jul 2011 21:38:34 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    Yesterday my lad completed the level 2.3 (I think) where you have to ride a barrel across the screen while a pirate ship chases you shooting cannonballs in your path.

    It looked tough as hell but, all credit, he got it done eventually.

    From what little I've seen DKCR looks a really fun game - he's certainly playing it more than he did with either of the SMGs.

    Good work on his part! It is a vey tricky level. Unfortunately, the types of stages get even harder. The minecart and barrels stages are the toughest parts of the game. If he has patience and keeps plugging away he will be able to get through them I'd say. Superb game apart from the questionable difficulty level at times.
  • trip919 25 Jul 2011 23:32:12 2,259 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not to be a contrary fucker but so far Iím not finding this to be the soul destroying game itís made out to be. Itís challenging but no more so then the trilogy on the Snes which theyíve clearly tried to match. Iím onto the sixth world now after one session and I havenít been stopped in my tracks for too long. Itís a great game so far but I just wish it wasnít so indebted to the Rare games.
  • MrVengeance 26 Jul 2011 16:52:42 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd say your experience of playing the SNES games has stuck to you mate! Pretty much everyone else has had their ass kicked repeatedly at this by the end of the third stage!

    Well done anyway, you've clearly got some great gaming skills going on.
  • kentmonkey 26 Jul 2011 18:41:08 20,454 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    trip919 wrote:
    Not to be a contrary fucker but so far Iím not finding this to be the soul destroying game itís made out to be. Itís challenging but no more so then the trilogy on the Snes which theyíve clearly tried to match. Iím onto the sixth world now after one session and I havenít been stopped in my tracks for too long. Itís a great game so far but I just wish it wasnít so indebted to the Rare games.
    Are you on World 6 having got all of the items in each world, or are you on World 6 having just picked up what you can along the way and moved on to the next level.

    There's a big difference between the two, and I think those of us finding it frustrating are doing the former, because we're obsessed OCD morons.
  • trip919 26 Jul 2011 22:22:34 2,259 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    Not to be a contrary fucker but so far Iím not finding this to be the soul destroying game itís made out to be. Itís challenging but no more so then the trilogy on the Snes which theyíve clearly tried to match. Iím onto the sixth world now after one session and I havenít been stopped in my tracks for too long. Itís a great game so far but I just wish it wasnít so indebted to the Rare games.
    Are you on World 6 having got all of the items in each world, or are you on World 6 having just picked up what you can along the way and moved on to the next level.

    There's a big difference between the two, and I think those of us finding it frustrating are doing the former, because we're obsessed OCD morons.

    Oh, I've just grabbed what I could on the way to get to the end, but I did do all the special stages. I've finished it about an hour ago after my second session and now I'm going through the worlds to get all the various collectables and do the K levels. Did the first one in the first zone and it was fairly tough - here's hoping they keep them at that difficulty as I enjoyed the challenge.

    Do you have to get all the puzzle pieces to get in the golden temple or is that just for unlocking art work and such?

  • Jono62 26 Jul 2011 22:27:26 13,965 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You need to complete the K levels to get to the golden temple. You don't need the puzzle pieces.
  • trip919 26 Jul 2011 22:34:42 2,259 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MrVengeance wrote:
    I'd say your experience of playing the SNES games has stuck to you mate! Pretty much everyone else has had their ass kicked repeatedly at this by the end of the third stage!

    Well done anyway, you've clearly got some great gaming skills going on.

    Well I haven't done 100% yet like Kent says (only the first few worlds) perhaps that's where the real challenge lies?

    For me personally I wouldn't have enjoyed this as much if it was a cakewalk as it so closely resembles the Snes trilogy, I think the old school difficulty suits it well.
  • trip919 26 Jul 2011 22:36:18 2,259 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    You need to complete the K levels to get to the golden temple. You don't need the puzzle pieces.

    Ahh. Cheers. How many levels are in the golden temple or is it not levels at all?
  • kentmonkey 26 Jul 2011 22:49:00 20,454 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indeed getting 100% off of each level can be a lesson in frustration. Some of the levels are built brilliantly, with excellent challenge and stupidly excellent design. Others are...not. Others are 'I want to bash the fucking developers over the head with the Wiimote' frustrating as they require manouverability that ol' DK just hasn't really been blessed with in order to reach some of the collectibles. I also find that the controls can hinder progress sometimes (if only they'd allowed for the use of the classic controller).

    I do like it, in fact I love it, but I could have done without some of the frustration on some of the levels.

    FWIW, I don't find 'Splosion Man difficult, I'm top of the world leaderboard in Defense Grid, and I'm pretty good at pretty much whatever I play. So either I'm incredibly shit on some of the levels in DK, or the developers can be bludgeoned with a banana for making me use such colourful language around Diddy.
  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

Log in or register to reply