Donkey Kong Country Returns Page 5

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Deleted user 14 December 2010 11:52:37
    Really off-topic question here but which game shall i go first for between SMG2 and Donkey kong guys ?

I watched a couple of videos of this and it looks glorious, problem is, SMG2 does too so i'm really torn between the two and since they both are on the expensive side i'd really like to make the "better" choice frankly...

• MrSemprini 14 Dec 2010 12:06:35 9,414 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd say they are both essential. Depends on your preference between 2D & 3D. DK is undoubtedly the stiffer challenge (if you want to 100% it) but SMG2 is probably the best 3D platformer ever made.
  • kinky_mong 14 Dec 2010 12:08:33 10,268 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:
    I'd say they are both essential. Depends on your preference between 2D & 3D. DK is undoubtedly the stiffer challenge (if you want to 100% it) but SMG2 is probably the best 3D platformer ever made.

Still think nothing in DKCR has been harder than the 242nd star in SMG2.

SMG2 will probably last you longer so I would go for that before DKCR.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• MrSemprini 14 Dec 2010 12:15:16 9,414 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Conversely, I've spent more time dying on some of the K levels in DK than I ever did on star 242. Yes, it was frustrating but got to be routine getting to the final part of that and then a bit of luck one time saw the end. Wouldn't want to do it again though.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2010 12:16:00
    You guys made it really easy for me, SMG2 it is then :)

Already have NSMBWii so that'll be enough i think for my 2D fix.

Thank you.
  • kinky_mong 14 Dec 2010 12:26:34 10,268 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    klem578 wrote:
    You guys made it really easy for me, SMG2 it is then :)

Already have NSMBWii so that'll be enough i think for my 2D fix.

Thank you.

Make sure to get DKCR later though, it is a fantastic game.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• kinky_mong 14 Dec 2010 14:25:52 10,268 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    figaro7 wrote:
    Managed to download the soundtrack, utterly brilliant really, especially the remixes from the original DKC! Heres hoping Retro do a sequel based on donkey kong country 2! Now that was a soundtrack!

I whole heartedly agree. A remix of this would be fantastic.

This is a classic as well.

And I was really hoping the volcano levels in DKCR would have this music.

• SG 21 Dec 2010 19:55:15 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had this game for a while but only opened it and played it just now. Seems everything I expected except for the fucking WAGGLE CONTROLS. It would work BETTER just with buttons, and there are enough laid out on the remote alone, so why oh why do they HAVE to force waggle on us as if it's an attempt to justify having motion controls because it's technologically inferior to PS360 (even though they have their own motion control schemes now, Sony's being quite similar)?

Well guess what Nintendo - the motion control works suits some games well but many of them work better with a conventional control scheme, you even released a white Gamecube controller in Japan for SSBB. JUST LEAVE THE WAGGLE TO THE GAMES THAT NEED IT!

Add me on Nintendo network! I'm 'Sy' or 'Sy_the_Brit_1982' (I've got US systems, hence 'the_Brit').

• ecureuil 21 Dec 2010 19:56:57 76,797 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The waggle is the sole reason I haven't purchased this game. You can't use a gamecube or classic controller, can you?
  • SG 21 Dec 2010 20:40:28 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To my knowledge, no. You can use a horizontal remote only method or nunchuck and remote setup but regardless you still have to shake, just as with NSMWBWii. I still won't let it get between me and the game but ass with NSMBWii, I'd take half or a whole point out of a /10 score.

Nintendo really, really, really, really DO NOT LISTEN to their fanbase, and more importantly the hardcore gamers or Nintendophiles that have stuck with them throughout the decades, thick or thin.

Having read about Rambi, I'm gutted that there are no more animal buddies - they always added variety to the levels - Squawks, Squitter and Ellie especially.

Add me on Nintendo network! I'm 'Sy' or 'Sy_the_Brit_1982' (I've got US systems, hence 'the_Brit').

• ecureuil 21 Dec 2010 20:50:31 76,797 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's just crazy that they don't even put in an option to turn it off. It can't have been hard to do and it could only affect the game positively.
  • SG 21 Dec 2010 20:59:10 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I felt the same about Twilight Princess with the sword and using the remote to fly with that bird in Zora's Domain and rolling in the Rollgoal game. I just got the Gamecube version - I enjoyed it much more and it's worth more too!

• figaro7 21 Dec 2010 21:26:11 1,363 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The controls really dont dampen the experience as far as in concerned, you barely need to use the shake roll to progress the game, each to there own.
  • SG 21 Dec 2010 21:49:51 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you want to play it properly, you have to shake to ground pound, shake to blow and shake to roll, and as I'm a classic DKC player, wanting to roll is second nature to me.

• MrSemprini 21 Dec 2010 23:16:28 9,414 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you can use a USB loader, you can use the classic controller.
  • SG 21 Dec 2010 23:22:06 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My thoughts after beating world 1...

The game does seem a bit of a pickup fest. The coins, fine - they're not necessary. But you need every puzzle piece (some of which are in the bonus levels) and all the KONG letters if you want to properly complete the game. Also, I'm not sure if '!' appears if you 100% a level as a guide. If I'm missing a puzzle piece, I don't know if it's hanging around in a main level or in a hidden bonus level that I haven't found.

I don't like it that Diddy is a powerup, because rather than relying on skill it is more about having him at a certain point to use his jetpack. Also, you can't bounce high off enemies by holding A, you have to press it just has you hit an enemy. Rambi's fun, but doesn't really add anything to the gameplay.

My major gripe is having to search every nook and cranny; the old games were about finding the few bonus levels which always had a little hint if you paid close attention, here they could be anywhere as there is so much illustrative landscape that finding one is just dumb luck. EDIT: one other thing I left out is that every 3 seconds or so there are those fluffy flowers you have to blow or those plants you have to ground pound with - that's the biggest thing that ruins the fluidity, but is necessary if you want 100%.

Still a good game though - looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

• Raiko101 22 Dec 2010 03:31:43 6,295 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've no problems with the waggle. It really takes no effort at all and becomes second nature after a few hours. You don't spend a lot of time doing it either. It's not entirely necessary, but it really doesn't matter either way.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• figaro7 22 Dec 2010 03:58:21 1,363 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    True you have to shake to roll, blow and pound but you need to push the correct direction on the d-pad, playing classic style, anyway.

About the bonus levels, i did feel there were way too many but the amount of lifes you go through, getting those quick few in a bonus level is more than justified.

Diddy kong does make the game easier somewhat but if you lose him be prepared to use some serious skill and a lot of deaths. Totally agree about the high bounce jumping with diddy, it led to many deaths on my part, just remember not to hold A unless you do want to glide.

The puzzle pieces, as far as im aware only unlock artwork and music, the kong letters though are the ones you want to grab and they are in plain site most of the time.
  • SG 22 Dec 2010 08:36:38 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry, one other thing I left out is that every 3 seconds or so there are those fluffy flowers you have to blow or those plants you have to ground pound with - that's the biggest thing that ruins the fluidity, but is necessary if you want 100%.

• MrSemprini 22 Dec 2010 10:30:43 9,414 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Agree on the blowing aspect, that does interrupt the flow if you're going for all puzzle pieces. I thought the bonus levels were fairly easy to spot once you found a few. There are pretty obvious bits of foliage or exits up above as clues.

Just K levels 4,5,7 & 8 left. Without Diddy, 4&5 are challenging to say the least.
  • kinky_mong 22 Dec 2010 10:55:45 10,268 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SG wrote:
    My thoughts after beating world 1...

The game does seem a bit of a pickup fest. The coins, fine - they're not necessary. But you need every puzzle piece (some of which are in the bonus levels) and all the KONG letters if you want to properly complete the game. Also, I'm not sure if '!' appears if you 100% a level as a guide. If I'm missing a puzzle piece, I don't know if it's hanging around in a main level or in a hidden bonus level that I haven't found.

Look at the level summary in the pause menu. It shows if you've collected all the KONG letters and puzzle pieces in each level. Most puzzle pieces are pretty obvious anyway once you've played for a while, and using Squawks on a level will help you find the remaining few (and trust me, you will have an abundance of coins to buy lots of Squawks by the end of the game).

Really not understanding people griping about the waggle in this game either. It becomes second nature really quickly and isn't anywhere near as annoying as you think it would be.

• SG 22 Dec 2010 18:59:24 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:.
    Look at the level summary in the pause menu. It shows if you've collected all the KONG letters and puzzle pieces in each level. Most puzzle pieces are pretty obvious anyway once you've played for a while, and using Squawks on a level will help you find the remaining few (and trust me, you will have an abundance of coins to buy lots of Squawks by the end of the game).
    Thanks, I know how to view totals. As I said before though, I won't know if the piece is out in the open or in a secret level.

kinky_mong wrote:
    Really not understanding people griping about the waggle in this game either. It becomes second nature really quickly and isn't anywhere near as annoying as you think it would be.
    I hope so. It didn't become an issue for me in NSMBWii so here's hoping.

• Binny 22 Dec 2010 23:02:34 187 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SG come on mate! it's a bloody excellent game. I think your just been a little too harsh on the controls buddy. Consoles & control methods have moved on from the SNES day's so why compare?
  • kinky_mong 23 Dec 2010 11:45:48 10,268 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SG wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:.
    Thanks, I know how to view totals. As I said before though, I won't know if the piece is out in the open or in a secret level.

Squawks starts... well squawking when you get close to the entrance to a secret level that you haven't got the jigsaw piece in.

• SG 24 Dec 2010 16:30:53 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aaaah... good point, thanks very much. I still can't see how you could get all the pieces to any level without Squawks - not that I've tried, mind.

Binny wrote:
    SG come on mate! it's a bloody excellent game. I think your just been a little too harsh on the controls buddy. Consoles & control methods have moved on from the SNES day's so why compare?
    Because the SNES controls were BETTER and could have been replicated on the Wii remote with or without the nunchuck... or waggle.

• MrSemprini 24 Dec 2010 17:05:04 9,414 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SG wrote:I still can't see how you could get all the pieces to any level without Squawks - not that I've tried, mind.

By exploring the level in much the same way you do in 2D Mario games to find the secrets.

Because the SNES controls were BETTER and could have been replicated on the Wii remote with or without the nunchuck... or waggle.

Any reason you are refusing to use the classic controller via a USB loader?
  • SG 24 Dec 2010 17:25:25 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Because I didn't know I could do that! Which app do I need?

• MrSemprini 24 Dec 2010 17:45:12 9,414 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anything that can apply Ocarina codes, which is every USB loader or Gecko if you're running from disc. Just do a search for the relevant code.
  • SG 24 Dec 2010 18:51:57 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Righto, thanks.

• ResidentKnievel 26 Dec 2010 16:35:14 6,195 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    2-player in this is brilliant, it's half completing the level and half making sure your brother falls off a cliff and dies.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Page

of 9 First / Last