The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Page 78

• Page

of 85 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 7 Aug 2012 12:26:39 10,259 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    I felt the motion controls were fine for the most part, it was only really the structure and repetition that let the game down slightly. They could easily have trimmed a third off the game, and it would have been almost perfect. The highs are certainly up there with the best in the series.
    The horrendous hand holdingbleeping twat sidekick would stop it rombeing almost perfect.
    The visals, character design and duneons were almost perfect.
    The linearity, lack of exploration and frustratin weren't.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 7 Aug 2012 12:26:52 10,259 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    I felt the motion controls were fine for the most part, it was only really the structure and repetition that let the game down slightly. They could easily have trimmed a third off the game, and it would have been almost perfect. The highs are certainly up there with the best in the series.
    The horrendous hand holdingbleeping twat sidekick would stop it rombeing almost perfect.
    The visals, character design and duneons were almost perfect.
    The linearity, lack of exploration and frustratin weren't.

• Kay 7 Aug 2012 12:59:34 17,760 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JoeGBallad wrote:
    There is one exception though. Can someone please explain exactly how they fought Ghirahim? The first time took me 45 minutes, no joke, and the second time wasn't much quicker. All that seems to happen is that his hand follows my sword and he catches it. Sometimes, by pure fluke, I get a couple of hits in, but that's it.
    Well, it's been a while, but from what I remember you have to let him track your sword with his hand, hold it in one position until he stops, and before he's able to grab it you have to quickly hit from the opposite direction. I fought him numerous times in boss rush mode and was able to defeat him easily, even in his final incarnation.

Edited by Kay at 13:00:58 07-08-2012
  • JoeGBallad 7 Aug 2012 13:17:43 383 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ok, so the secret is to hold your sword's position before swinging the opposite way?

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• Razz 7 Aug 2012 13:18:43 60,759 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You know what, if Nintendo made a Master Quest version of this on the Wii-U, ironing out all these niggles. I'd buy it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Deleted user 7 August 2012 15:59:17
    Yep, baffled.

Found the laser towers difficult? Clearly i am the exception.

Back to mashing A then for the "hardcore" audience.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Aug 2012 16:34:54 23,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why is motion controls more hardcore? Because they're more difficult to pull off?

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• mikew1985 7 Aug 2012 16:41:07 12,587 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Regardless of what silly label you want to place on standard button/gamepad controls and motion controls the fact remains that they clearly were not accurate/consistent enough in SS for the majority of people who played it.

Whether you prefered them or whether they worked perfectly for you is kind of irrelevant when there are so many here, myself included, for whom they didn't.

The fact that controls were an issue in a Nintendo game is another death knell for motion based controls imo. If even Nintendo can't perfect it, chances are it's a flawed control method and there is very little chance someone is going to make a better stab of it in a proper action adventure title.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I didn't find the game difficult due to the controls, it was still relatviely easy, I just found the controls frustrating and inaccurate several times throughout my playthrough.

Edited by mikew1985 at 16:42:43 07-08-2012
  • kinky_mong 7 Aug 2012 16:53:30 9,952 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nintendo seem pretty insistent on trying to ham-fist their consoles gimmicks into it's established franchises now, Kid Icarus Uprising's awful control scheme is another one that spring to mind.

Can't wait for them to ruin Starfox or F-Zero for me with some crappy touchscreen controls!

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Deleted user 7 August 2012 17:19:50
    I think the controls are the opposite as described; they're very precise infact. I found that when i was getting frustrated in a fight, it was me trying to waggle my way out of it rather than giving the "opponent" a bit more respect as well as the need of being cognisant of my actual movements.

Hardcore as a term is just awful. Some like to equate waggle = casual, was trying to make a pithy point that was all.

Edit: it looks like i am the exception though along with my friends that played the game. I genuinely thought it was spot on.
  • hypoBla5t 8 Aug 2012 20:02:43 1,359 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aaah padding, my old friend. Was having such a blast on this I forgot the reason why I've never finished a Zelda game before - resentment at the game constantly finding bullshit reasons to make me do the same stuff all over again. Case in point - return to Faron Woods, since the silent realm I'm sure I've had about 3 or 4 obstacles put between me and my intended goal which is culminating in me trapsing all across the entire zone again and now redoing a dungeon. With all the doors locked again.

Will come back tomorrow I think.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Aug 2012 21:01:42 23,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah the whole "redo this dungeon with the doors locked" really got on my tits.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• Razz 11 Aug 2012 22:35:26 60,759 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spiral attack training is a bit hard.

/fetches Wii controller from new hole in wall

• lavalant 12 Aug 2012 16:48:31 1,266 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hypoBla5t wrote:
    Aaah padding, my old friend. Was having such a blast on this I forgot the reason why I've never finished a Zelda game before
    All the 3D Zelda games have Padding, if you want a no padding Zelda you should play the 2D games, Links Awakening DX is a fine example of pure Zelda.
  • hypoBla5t 12 Aug 2012 18:47:32 1,359 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @lavalant

Oh, I forgot about Link's Awakening DX, I have completed a Zelda, cheers for reminding me!! What a game!! Sublime. Loved getting to choose the red or blue raiment for 2x attack or defense. Back home again tomorrow so gonna pick up where I left off, hopefully push on through.
  • Max_Powers 12 Aug 2012 21:17:25 1,083 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Recently borrowed a Wii just to play Skyward Sword. A very fresh and inspiring Zelda game. They really needed to freshen up the formula and they succeeded. Fun gadgets, interesting overworld design, good characterization. Motion control does add something new to experience however I find it also very frustrating.

I've been playing games for over 20 years but I've been wrestling with the controls ever since I started playing (I don't own a Wii so...) With traditional controls I wouldn't have died once I'm sure but I would also have less fun I think.

And fuck me, hearts are much more valuable than rupees in this Zelda! Every time I break some bottles and hearts come out I'm relieved and dissapointed by those stupid rupees :)

Could also be because of the baffling game design decision (that all Zeldas have) to play a repeated beeping sound when you're low on health. Sometimes I had to endure 15 minutes of play with that continous annoying beeping. Why Nintendo? Why!?
  • Razz 14 Aug 2012 09:50:54 60,759 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not just the beeping, it;s the calls from Navi too. The worst combination is when your hearts and battery are low for a good half hour. That shit almost drove me to insanity.

• disusedgenius 14 Aug 2012 10:03:36 5,205 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Max_Powers wrote:
    interesting overworld design
    This was actually my biggest downer - both the overworld and the areas didn't inspire me as much as the previous game. The travelling just didn't feel joined up.

There were still some lovely moments nevertheless, but it's the one key point of the game for me, alas.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Aug 2012 12:32:41 10,259 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    It's not just the beeping, it;s the calls from Navi too. The worst combination is when your hearts and battery are low for a good half hour. That shit almost drove me to insanity.
    This.
    I can't understand how such a fantastic developer with such impressive attention to detail could allow this crap past QA.

• Paulie_P 14 Aug 2012 14:57:13 410 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had a problem with the controls but I think it may have been a problem with my motion plus controller because it doesn't register y-axis movement on any game at all now.

Never had any problems with the old wiimotes but either way I think motion controls should be optional until the technology is as robust as the existing old-style button controllers!
  • jellyhead 14 Aug 2012 15:07:28 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    This.
    I can't understand how such a fantastic developer with such impressive attention to detail could allow this crap past QA.
    This. Bloody this! I could really like this game if it wasn't so bloody annoying at times. Blech.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Derblington 14 Aug 2012 15:11:53 21,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think Ninty Japan use QA, at least in the same way as you refer to it (I don't know how much you actually know about QA?).

This kind of this is geared more toward focus testing, in truth, and designers won't always change something that's not broken when they have a desired goal in mind.
  • jellyhead 14 Aug 2012 15:22:01 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I understand that. I just wondered why they have a goal of annoying the crap out of people and making them not want to play the game?

;)

• MrSemprini 14 Aug 2012 16:00:33 9,372 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Regardless of the design choices in the game, you have a very easy way to circumvent all the annoyances and it's a little baffling why none of you have chosen to run it through a USB loader with the necessary fixes instead of getting worked up about them. See also: playing DKCR with the classic controller among many other things.

Emotionally repressed teenagers haven't wasted their formative years by hacking the guts out of the Wii so you could ignore it you know.
  • Rajin 14 Aug 2012 16:06:36 614 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Any advice on how to center the motion plus correctly? Started playing this game again but having difficulty with it.

Red Steel 2 doesn't ven start because i somehow don't center it correctly.
  • jellyhead 14 Aug 2012 16:11:19 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I might have a look about for the Wii HomeBrew thread now you've reminded me.

• Razz 14 Aug 2012 16:46:25 60,759 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmmm... I've been looking for new hobby too. Might as well start faffin about with my wii now that the Wu is coming out.

• Deleted user 14 August 2012 16:59:51
    Rajin wrote:
    Any advice on how to center the motion plus correctly? Started playing this game again but having difficulty with it.

Red Steel 2 doesn't ven start because i somehow don't center it correctly.
    press down on the d-pad or point at the screen.
  • MrSemprini 14 Aug 2012 17:03:28 9,372 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Homebrew thread is probably out of date. I would recommend the following links:

Main site
    HBC page
    Installing the channel

The whole thing takes about 15 minutes, from virgin Wii to fully homebrewed up (does not include time to go to the shop for a USB drive).
  • jellyhead 14 Aug 2012 17:12:10 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers! Thanks a bunch, new project ahoy! :)

• Page

of 85 First / Last