The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Page 76

• Page

of 85 First / Last

• Razz 24 May 2012 14:14:42 60,770 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, o_O Cosmic... you haven't been to the airhsip shop yet?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Brave_Dave 24 May 2012 14:19:32 109 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Poor Cosmic must be running about with a 200 rupee max wallet :-D
  • CosmicFuzz 24 May 2012 15:31:04 23,225 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha I am! :D

Totally forgot about that shop. Will check it out tonight. How do you get on? Fly and dive off?

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• Razz 24 May 2012 15:42:31 60,770 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, take a long look at it as it flies past, it will become obvious what you have to do. No point taking away the sense of acomplishment of figuring it out on your own. If you get stuck give me a tinkle.

• CosmicFuzz 24 May 2012 15:50:20 23,225 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Awesome, cheers!

• CosmicFuzz 11 Jun 2012 07:16:51 23,225 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished it. Overall thought it was really good. Very polished, sword fighting was great fun. Graphics were lovely and the art style interesting.

Have to say though, the last ten hours or so really dragged. Just began to feel like monumental padding. Go here and get this - oh it's been split into three things - oh to get the first thing find a million floating notes and do a silent realm... Just felt like every time I had found everything and was ready to move the story forward, more padding popped up to halt it dead.

Still though, better than most stuff out there.

8/10

• Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2012 07:43:41 10,282 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Just finished it. Overall thought it was really good. Very polished, sword fighting was great fun. Graphics were lovely and the art style interesting.

Have to say though, the last ten hours or so really dragged. Just began to feel like monumental padding. Go here and get this - oh it's been split into three things - oh to get the first thing find a million floating notes and do a silent realm... Just felt like every time I had found everything and was ready to move the story forward, more padding popped up to halt it dead.

8/10
    Yeah, it suffered from that but the biggest problem IMO was the handholding and irritating sidekick.
    "Bleep! Go here"
    2 secs later "Bleep, go here!!"
    "Bleep !!You're low on hearts", simultaneous "Bleep bleeep" You're gonna die, get health"
    "Bleep bleep, the controller batteries are low"

Unbelievably bad work there, hw did that get through play testing unscathed?

I still adored the graphics, many characters and the dungeons were superb but the lack of exploration and insulting handholding makes it well inferior to WW :-(

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• CosmicFuzz 11 Jun 2012 11:20:52 23,225 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

8/10
    Yeah, it suffered from that but the biggest problem IMO was the handholding and irritating sidekick.
    "Bleep! Go here"
    2 secs later "Bleep, go here!!"
    "Bleep !!You're low on hearts", simultaneous "Bleep bleeep" You're gonna die, get health"
    "Bleep bleep, the controller batteries are low"

Unbelievably bad work there, hw did that get through play testing unscathed?

I still adored the graphics, many characters and the dungeons were superb but the lack of exploration and insulting handholding makes it well inferior to WW :-(
    Yeah I agree, same with Mario Galaxy - why do they insist on beeping everywhere?! Nothing worse than exploring a temple with that going on in the background. At least allow us to turn it off!

• Sharzam 28 Jun 2012 21:01:33 2,712 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just bought a second hand wii and picked up the limited edition Zelda for a extra wimote and god damn this is a good game.

Its just a shame that a game with such a perfect control setup and graphics comes towards the end of the wii life. If it came out 3+ years ago it would not of been written off so much. Hell I think motion plus should of been built it from the start.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• FuzzyDuck 28 Jun 2012 21:26:39 3,899 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Sharzam

Agree with you on all accounts there. I ended up abandoning OoT 3D because i found the swordplay to be so basic and pointless after SS.
  • FatSternKikwi 8 Jul 2012 19:24:22 532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have to say that while still a very good game it was way too long and had way too much padding. Oh and after worst sidekick by far. Especially after twilight princess which had one of the best.

Pretty sure the last truly great zelda game was Wind Waker but I haven't played minish cap so can't quite say for sure.
  • ecureuil 8 Jul 2012 19:38:09 76,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is the only Zelda game I've ever given up on. The game itself is alright, but ultimately I couldn't be arsed with the Wiimote. It made the gameplay different, but it didn't make it any better, imo. I'd have definitely stuck with this game if you could have used a regular controller.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jul 2012 21:55:08 10,282 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    This is the only Zelda game I've ever given up on. The game itself is alright, but ultimately I couldn't be arsed with the Wiimote. It made the gameplay different, but it didn't make it any better, imo. I'd have definitely stuck with this game if you could have used a regular controller.
    The controls which were fun but nowhere near as perfect as the reviews pretended were the least of it's problems IMO.
    - No real exploration
    - The worst handholding in video game history
    - The most annoying sidekick in video game history
    Thank god the visuals were gorgeous, the combat fun and the dungeons brilliant.

• ecureuil 11 Jul 2012 22:00:42 76,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah it's not a bad game at all, think I'm just getting older and less patient. The constant reminding me of every little object I collected was another reason I started to get annoyed with it.
  • Deleted user 11 July 2012 22:07:45
    ecureuil wrote:
    I can see that happening for a few. It's that same with me playing shitty shooting games on a pad :)
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jul 2012 22:07:56 10,282 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Yeah it's not a bad game at all, think I'm just getting older and less patient. The constant reminding me of every little object I collected was another reason I started to get annoyed with it.
    That was ridiculous, how does that get through playesting for over 6 year olds?
    Don't start me on the Beep Beep you're dying on top of your already beeping low hearts...

• Paulie_P 16 Jul 2012 16:13:53 411 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I'm the same, I came close to quitting the last DS one with the train but when the padding, the 3rd battle with the weird looking demon thing in the forest (fuck those toes) and the unresponsive controls made me quit the game.

Now with the controls, I'm not sure if it was due to the battery life or what but there were times I had to repeatedly recalibrate the Wii Remote.

On a side note, the Wii-Remote Plus, has anyone else had trouble with it? - it seems to drain the batteries even when not in use and as far as I'm aware, this never happened on the old Wii-Remotes.
  • Derblington 16 Jul 2012 16:42:36 21,302 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They've always drained.
  • Paulie_P 16 Jul 2012 16:56:49 411 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Derblington Ah maybe they drain quicker on the Wii Remote Plus or maybe nowadays with the longer periods between using the wii made it more noticeable.
  • FuzzyDuck 17 Jul 2012 17:19:44 3,899 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aye, the Motion Plus (whether internal or external) will drain batteries quicker, although if you're playing a game with the Remote Plus that dosen't utilise it, it won't affect their drainage.
  • Paulie_P 22 Jul 2012 22:27:58 411 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Aye, the Motion Plus (whether internal or external) will drain batteries quicker, although if you're playing a game with the Remote Plus that dosen't utilise it, it won't affect their drainage.
    My gold one that came with Zelda is borked. sometimes the pointer doesnt register but it will still perform actions that require a shake. This seems to happen if you get anything less than a full battery bar.
  • FuzzyDuck 22 Jul 2012 23:00:35 3,899 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Paulie_P wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    My gold one that came with Zelda is borked. sometimes the pointer doesnt register but it will still perform actions that require a shake. This seems to happen if you get anything less than a full battery bar.
    Never came across anything like that before, pretty bizarre-o.
  • binky Moderator 25 Jul 2012 09:08:07 9,442 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I tried again to go back to Zelda Skyward Sword, but... ugh! I just can't get on with it. It just really annoys me every time I try and get stuck in

Last night, in need of something to play I continued my second full playthrough of WindWaker. It's a game I continually reference, I know, but it's slowly but surely turning into my go-to game if I want to smile whilst gaming.

Last night: Temple of the Gods part 1. The bit where everything is grey and frozen in time. Utterly, UTTERLY beautiful.
  • Armoured_Bear 25 Jul 2012 09:16:19 10,282 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    binky wrote:
    I tried again to go back to Zelda Skyward Sword, but... ugh! I just can't get on with it. It just really annoys me every time I try and get stuck in

Last night, in need of something to play I continued my second full playthrough of WindWaker. It's a game I continually reference, I know, but it's slowly but surely turning into my go-to game if I want to smile whilst gaming.

Last night: Temple of the Gods part 1. The bit where everything is grey and frozen in time. Utterly, UTTERLY beautiful.
    Yep, Wind Waker is in most ways a superior game, still makes me smile too.

• redcrayon 25 Jul 2012 10:41:08 4,544 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I prefer Wind Waker to both TP and Skyward Sword, the special combat manouvers just felt like a better evolution of z-targeting sword combat than motion controls.

Actually, out of the three of them, SS is at the bottom of the list- not a bad game by any means, but not one I particularly want to play again either- the small army of friendly NPCs didn't make the world feel particularly daunting or hostile in any way. And those moblins with electrified weapons can piss right off. Sure, they are easy to figure out, but it's just more padding, turning a battle with an inconsequential monster into a sloooow puzzle when you should be slaughtering them.

SS actually gained loads of points for me on the final dungeon, after the final epic marathon of filler that preceded it nearly made me give up. I thought that dungeon was a great idea, nicely executed, and the boss fights that followed it weren't bad either.

Especially- big spoiler-
    The scrap with Ghiarim's moblin army, with them initially not overly keen on rushing Link! That just made me smile.

Edited by redcrayon at 10:42:30 25-07-2012
  • Kay 25 Jul 2012 10:47:00 17,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    And those moblins with electrified weapons can piss right off. Sure, they are easy to figure out, but it's just more padding, turning a battle with an inconsequential monster into a sloooow puzzle when you should be slaughtering them.
    Or, you can still slaughter them by using shield bash! :p

I'd say SS was above TP, but just below WW. It has its faults but I did love the game.
  • Razz 25 Jul 2012 11:17:28 60,770 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The sword always seems to work fine for me until I come up against one of those carnivorous plants, I nkow what to do, slice along the mouth but every time I try to slice the sword des everything but move ni the way it's supposed to! I always end up havign to sheld bash them :(

• binky Moderator 25 Jul 2012 11:31:21 9,442 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Same, Razz. Not one bit of combat has been fluid for me. I'm sure I'm "doing it wrong" but I've been playing for hours and hours and it just hasn't clicked.

I've pretty much given up on one of the sand / time crystal sections. Pirate dude waiting outside a pyramid type structure. NO idea how far through the game I am!
  • Page

of 85 First / Last