Which Country Produces the Best Beer? Page 12

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Next
  • Gland 28 Feb 2013 22:56:14 78,478 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the Trafalgar is a Fullers pub because they sell Pride.

Wait, it wasn't Fuller's Discovery was it? It's not actually bad for anyone that wondered.

Edited by Dirtbox at 22:58:19 28-02-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 28 February 2013 22:57:49
    Yeah, they're Fullers according to the website, and I'm certain it was a guest beer anyway, so isolating the brewery is probably going to be impossible.

I'll just mourn silently with a weihenstephaner vitus.
  • BillMurray 28 Feb 2013 23:00:09 7,805 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Belgium. Though I have had some really, really good US beers lately, like Sierra Nevada, Stone Pale Ale/IPa and Anchor Steam Beer. All properly nice.

Edit* Would like to hear some Polish recommendations in here! Want to try a few when I visit in a few weeks.

Edited by BillMurray at 23:01:34 28-02-2013
  • Gland 28 Feb 2013 23:00:17 78,478 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It would probably be a fairly local beer then.

There was an amazing local Mild in Reading that I loved and the next year it was like drinking earwax and toilet duck.

• Bremenacht 28 Feb 2013 23:02:15 18,761 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I do love weissbier, drink Franziskaner or occasionally Schneiderweisse most often these days...
    I like Schneiderweisse. Used to love Franziskaner but just about every bottle I've had from a UK supermarket in the past year has been shit and put me off Weiss. Still enjoying dunkels though. I think King Ludwig is my fave.
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 23:02:49
    Sierra Nevada is great. Very nice pale ales.
  • Gland 28 Feb 2013 23:03:23 78,478 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm a sucker for Dunkels. I don't think I've ever had a bad one.

Oh, except for a large stein of the stuff in Bruges that dislodged a kidney stone and left me in agony, trying to sleep on the back shelf of a car for the night.

Edited by Dirtbox at 23:04:50 28-02-2013

• Jazzy_Geoff 28 Feb 2013 23:06:40 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For me it's increasingly Britain as I get older. We have such an incredible range of beers and stouts with darker, warmer, hoppier tastes. I like a German beer on a night with tha lads or a summers day but quiet night in the pub or at home it's speckled hen at al all the way.
  • Bremenacht 28 Feb 2013 23:06:50 18,761 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can I bore anyone about this place:

http://www.domusleuven.be/index_en.html

It's right across the alley from its microbrewery, so rather than bother with all the barrely business, they have a pipe running directly from the brewery, into the bar and straight down into a tap. Haha!

Also, you have to put at least one of your shoes in basket which is hoisted above the bar to ensure you don't run away without paying for your beer. *

* Only you don't, because it's no longer the 18th century**
    ** I am reliably informed.

I swear I've posted this in here before.
  • Bremenacht 28 Feb 2013 23:07:51 18,761 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I'm a sucker for Dunkels. I don't think I've ever had a bad one.

Oh, except for a large stein of the stuff in Bruges that dislodged a kidney stone and left me in agony, trying to sleep on the back shelf of a car for the night.
    Eek!
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 23:09:38
    Salaman wrote:
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    When I get to Belgium I shall head over to Delerium and sample each of the 2000 beers they apparently sell there. Then I shall report back.

Perhaps.
    We're due a report from Greggywocky methinks.
    Still here. In Belgium. Recently been testing out a book called 'Around Brussels in 80 Beers', and it's sister book 'Around Bruges in 80 Beers' is ready to go.
  • Gland 28 Feb 2013 23:12:13 78,478 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not generally a fan of pilsner because it leaves me feeling bloated after a couple of glasses, but the stuff at Gröninger in Hamburg was stupidly nice.

• -cerberus- 28 Feb 2013 23:41:29 3,155 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Greggywocky... wrote: Still here. In Belgium. Recently been testing out a book called 'Around Brussels in 80 Beers', and it's sister book 'Around Bruges in 80 Beers' is ready to go.
    If you've got the chance, visit Ghent and look for a place called "http://www.dullegriet.be/01_Herberg_eng.htm]De Dulle Griet[/link]" (located at Vrijdagmarkt 50). Once there you will be presented with the gigantic bible of beer... Also worth a look is "[link url=http://www.trollekelder.be/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">De Trollekelder". Trust me, you will not regret it.

Edited by -cerberus- at 23:46:41 28-02-2013

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• ElNuevo9 1 Mar 2013 02:42:58 13,482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Sierra Nevada is great. Very nice pale ales.
    Very nice stuff. Brooklyn is much darker, though its incredibly tasty. Gives you hangovers like you wouldn't believe, mind.

I used to work in a very, very good real ale pub in Lytham when I was a student. Used to get lots of Americans when the golf was on at Royal Lytham, and there were quite a few that worked at BAE. They go nuts for British ale, and it's very much a growing market in the States. Great to see.

So, yeah, UK and German beers is probably my favourite, but the Yanks are doing lovely stuff.

Also, any pale ale lovers should look out for Honey Pot. It's divine. People from as far as the Midlands would phone up a pub in Lytham to see if we had it in, or they'd plan their visit around when we would get some in. Madness!

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• drip 13 May 2013 19:57:52 4,303 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was just in the mood to try out a few different beers again. It's a shame I've never been to Belgium, lots of people say they have awesome beer.

The only Belgian beer I could get here was something called "Efes". Very average. The only Dutch was Heineken. Piss. I've tried some Polish beers and really liked them (Tyskie being the most known here). Czech ones are great too, e.g. Krusovice or the one and only original Pilsner Urquell. Budweiser (the sort you can buy in Germany) isn't that bad, but forgettable.

Still, anything foreign I get here is dwarfed by many German beers. My absolute favourite remains Jever, and after that, Beck's.

I quite like UK/Irish ales btw, but there's nothing quite like Pils to me.
  • spamdangled 13 May 2013 20:01:13 27,413 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Efes is Turkish. Maybe you mean Leffe (which is bloody lovely imo)?

Funnily enough I was having a discussion with the lodger earlier this morning about beer, particularly beer festivals. He wants to go to Germany for the beer fests, I suggested that he try some of the UK beer fests.

Edited by darkmorgado at 20:01:36 13-05-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• drip 13 May 2013 20:03:29 4,303 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No, it's called Efes Pilsener and there's Bruxelles Monde Selection blah blah printed on it, so I assumed it was Belgian. May be just marketing rubbish, of course.

And tell your friend not to go to the Oktoberfest. It's horrible. There's no point in going to German beer fests, I'd suspect beer fests in the UK were actually more enjoyable. Get German beer, but forget the beer fun fair crap here.

edit: you were right, it's Turkish. "Bruxelles Monde blah" just being an award given by some shady letterbox company, I suspect.

Still, much better than Heineken.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:45:42 13-05-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 13 May 2013 20:03:43 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deutschland, über ales.

Ahem.
  • drip 13 May 2013 20:06:00 4,303 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice one, and I agree in more than one way.
  • twelveways 13 May 2013 20:23:43 4,065 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love Asian beers. Beer Lao, Red Horse, Kingfisher, Cobra, Chang, Leo etc...
  • elstoof 13 May 2013 20:33:38 7,760 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Maybe you mean Leffe (which is bloody lovely imo)?
    Leffe is an ersatz Abbey-by-numbers ale cobbled together by InBev/Stella to tap into the emerging world market for the style. It's ok in a pinch, but you can do a lot better.
  • grey_matters 4 Mar 2014 18:19:13 3,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not claiming it to be the best beer but O'Haras Leann Folláin Stout is very nice. And 6%.
  • HarryB 4 Mar 2014 19:08:10 6,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Scotland. Brewdog
  • Psychotext 4 Mar 2014 19:49:43 54,405 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've tried about 300 different ales / beers in the last couple of years and right now I'd have to say the UK... and although it massively pains me to say it, specifically England.

Whilst there are certainly stand out beers from other countries I'd say in terms of sheer quantity of high quality beers it has to be England. Of course, there's a lot of complete shite too.
  • Stan546 4 Mar 2014 20:16:00 255 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone heard of Hopping Mad? It's a local brewery in Olney, Buckinghamshire. They do an absolute gorgeous ale called Brain Storm, I'm buying a keg every pay day!

Please help me mods? Stop ignoring me?

• DaM 4 Mar 2014 21:15:03 13,338 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I've tried about 300 different ales / beers in the last couple of years and right now I'd have to say the UK... and although it massively pains me to say it, specifically England.

Whilst there are certainly stand out beers from other countries I'd say in terms of sheer quantity of high quality beers it has to be England. Of course, there's a lot of complete shite too.
    I'd have to agree with this. Although Scotland has seen an explosion in micro-breweries over the last 10 years, I can't keep track of them all. Unfortunately I don't get out much to sample them :(
  • Page

of 12 First / Last

Next