Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bring back climbing!

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Lexx87 3 Jun 2010 16:52:48 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MdaG wrote:
    It needs to be way more RPG than Oblivion. Also, no fracking scalable difficulty. They ruined Oblivion by removing all sense of accomplishment.

Yup. Bandits with glass armour WTF.

Ruined the game for me.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Dirtbox 3 Jun 2010 17:03:49 77,746 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    uglygamer wrote:
    And BTW Oblivion was amazing, much better than Fallout 3.
    Good man. Fallout 3 was dull and repetitive thanks to the frankly crap setting.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• RyanDS 3 Jun 2010 17:05:56 9,268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bah. Both Fallout and Oblivion were amazing.

But Daggerfall was better than both.
  • WinterSnowblind 3 Jun 2010 17:06:27 1,228 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Scaling enemies, random loot (at least to a certain extent), pre-generated terrain, and the compass all need to go. Utterly ruined the game.

Like was said, scaling enemies took out any sense of accomplishment, perhaps important baddies and boss characters could still scale to be a challenge, but being jumped buy a random thug wearing a full set of Deadric armour was ridiculous.

Random loot made it pointless to explore, because you could never find anything unique. No benefit over doing a random dungeon when you could just do quests and find the same stuff. Random chests/boxes, etc wouldn't be bad though.

This coupled with the compass that constantly showed exactly where you should be going destroyed the adventuring element. And what was the need for the daily routines when you always knew where a person would be?

Oblivion made a few changes for the better, but in general ESV needs to be more Morrowind, less Oblivion.
  • stephenb 3 Jun 2010 17:08:09 2,738 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oblivion was stunningly beautiful the first time I played it. Fallout was eerily haunting I loved the post apocalyptic setting.

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• Red_Red 3 Jun 2010 17:11:17 1 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think the setting is largely down to personal taste. I acknowledge there's more variation in Fallout 3's landscape, but I still prefer Oblivion because it's a nicer environment to wander around in. Peaceful and pretty!

I agree that they should stick to a single player experience. That's how I like to play it. But I'd be surprised if they didn't at least have a co-op feature.
  • ronuds 3 Jun 2010 17:15:02 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved Morrowind. Loved Oblivion, too, but not as much.

Didn't like Fallout too much. Not because of the environments as much as the gameplay.
  • ronuds 3 Jun 2010 17:23:26 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fallout felt like too much of a slog to me. Every battle felt more like a pain in the arse than it did something fun and exciting to try and get involved in.

Not only that, but you start off so incredibly weak that after every battle with a rat you're back to town for supplies. So, effectively -- with travel time and such -- every battle took an hour. That's not fun.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 3 Jun 2010 17:24:52 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    such an exaggeration
  • Grunk 3 Jun 2010 17:27:32 4,718 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really liked Oblivion, put a lot of time into it (never actually closed a gate) but after losing my progress 3 times due to faulty x-boxes I gave up on it, as I didn't want to have to do everything again.

Would definitely get elder scroll V though.

I think you are right about scaling enemies, you do lose your sense of achievement. However I guess thugs are allowed to gain experience too.

If enemies don't scale then it's probably fair to make it that you can't defeat a lot of things from the start.
  • ronuds 3 Jun 2010 17:30:08 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    such an exaggeration

Are you spying on me?
  • Dirtbox 3 Jun 2010 17:30:43 77,746 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As with all games.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Jazzy_Geoff 3 Jun 2010 17:30:53 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Whether I am or not is beside the point.
  • ronuds 3 Jun 2010 17:36:52 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

Well, every battle felt like it took hour. And you can't take that away from me!

• convercide 3 Jun 2010 17:50:03 5,994 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

Well, every battle felt like it took hour. And you can't take that away from me!

So you didn't use the fast travel option?

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Jazzy_Geoff 3 Jun 2010 17:55:51 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

Your favourite game is shit.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2010 17:57:08
    Whilst I hope Bethesda take something from the feedback from Oblivion, the only thing I'd have to say about it is this. Even though it's so many years old, starting up Morrowind always feels like a guilty pleasure because there's so much freedom to see and do as you please. Yet every time I've played Oblivion, or started a new game, it's almost been depressing and not worth the effort.

So, to echo a lot of the comments here, ESV: more Morrowind, less Oblivion, and I'll be a happy man.
  • ronuds 3 Jun 2010 17:58:57 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    convercide wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

So you didn't use the fast travel option?

No way, man. One of my favourite things about games like Fallout is exploring.

Although, a lot of times I didn't have a choice because I was half dead with nothing to heal myself.
  • Metalfish 3 Jun 2010 17:59:39 8,818 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the ideal solution to the random loot thing would be to have bespoke dungeons and all that, but once you start a new playthrough there's a "randomise dungeon" setting so that (where appropriate) they're switched around -so you can't rush off and get the super powerful sword/bobblehead right from the off.

Or perhaps some sort of Torchlight-esque endgame area? I think something a bit like the endless desert in Dungeon Siege only with "shifting sands" (read: randomly generated terrain) unearthing new random temples and caves to explore every time you return to the desert. Make it a realm of Oblivion or something.
  • ronuds 3 Jun 2010 18:02:12 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

Your favourite game is shit.

How do I deserve this?
  • Jazzy_Geoff 3 Jun 2010 18:06:54 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm sorry, I spent ages thinking of a reply as well. Woe is me.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2010 18:09:32
    I liked Oblivion. I think you have to invest in it though, I mean use your imagination a bit and try hard to buy into the world.

The voice acting, using the same actor over and over again, with barely any difference in accent, was the most annoying. I don't mind that for random incidentals, but it was weird when the voice of a main quest character starts coming out of some random bum.

But I loved Oblivion, and will buy the required hardward to play V.
  • kalel 3 Jun 2010 18:10:31 87,120 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm pretty sure they know where they went wrong with Oblivion, as many of the issues were fixed in Fallout 3. Admittedly that had its own issues, but I have faith that the next ES game will be bloody good (as were all the previous ones despite the issues).
  • Metalfish 3 Jun 2010 18:25:43 8,818 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Ploop, I don't think I could ever really invest in the world like I have with, say, mass effect or even fallout. The problem is just how massively derivative it all is, take a look at the items -almost every one of them that isn't a legendary one from the previous games looks identical to something from the lord of the rings films- and the towns (the white gold tower is short of a Sauroman).

Elves and orcs were always going to be clichéd but the step back oblivion took from morrowind, in terms of originality, was huge. This can be best seen in the excellent Shivering Isles expansion which seems to be when the team remembered what the elder scroll series is.
  • PearOfAnguish 3 Jun 2010 18:28:46 7,215 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would like...
    Magic system like Morrowind that lets you make all kinds of ridiculous, useful and stupid magical items.
    Open cities so you can climb and fly around.
    Improved combat. Oblivion was on the right track, but I'd prefer something more like Dark Messiah.
    More traps! They showed these off during ESIV previews like they were going to be everywhere, but they barely made an appearance. Dungeons should be deathtraps.
    A main quest that isn't fucking boring.
    More awesome thieves guild and dark brotherhood quests.
    More voice actors.
    Own horses, boats, houses and businesses.
    Some atmosphere.
    The moon on a stick.
  • Shrike 3 Jun 2010 18:34:43 405 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's the modding community that makes these games, really - fixing every major issue raised about Oblivion in particular. Beyond a certain point they're more like hobbies than games - I've put about 250 hours into Oblivion over the years and still not actually finished the main quest because I'm constantly rejigging it, installing user content, etc. Such a different experience to playing on a console (which was my first experience of Fallout 3).
  • PearOfAnguish 3 Jun 2010 18:42:24 7,215 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've never finished the main quest either, but that was because it was horrendously dull. Those Oblivion gates were a terrible idea. Would have been cool if the gates were entrances to a mirrored version of the world with new quests, items and characters, instead of a tiresome slog through cut-n-paste landscapes.
  • Page

of 495 First / Last