The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Page 562

  • Page

    of 566 First / Last

  • Switch024 14 Mar 2017 16:53:05 1,774 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    superbob85 wrote:
    Had a game save about 30 hours in and the save gets currupt and won't load. Can't stomach starting from scratch gutted. Back to my oblivion save I think.
    I bought the SE and put a similar amount of time in. Sold my launch PS4 and bought a Pro, didn't upload my save... One day I'll start again, maybe.
  • DrStrangelove 14 Mar 2017 16:56:05 10,668 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    How does the marriage thing work? Can you marry anyone?

    I'm asking for a friend.
    OllyJ wrote:
    I'm up for Marrying that Vampire Selena, reckon she's keen? It's just the way she always says "done and done" every 30 seconds, really endearing.
    You can't marry everyone, but there are many potential partners. Sadly, Serana isn't among them. Those you can marry are only available after completing a quest for them, with the exception of your housecarls who will instantly say yes. Their sex doesn't matter, they'll all agree on marriage after four lines of dialogue or so.

    Completing a "quest" can be very mundane, for example beating up Uthgerd in a bar brawl is enough to make her marry you.

    Don't expect anything romantic, it would be a gross understatement to call it shallow. Romance in Skyrim is comically meagre, perhaps the worst in gaming history. Like many things in the Elder Scrolls series, it seems to be there just for the sake of it so you can do whatever you like. The best reason to marry is getting 100 gold per day.

    For exhaustive information about marriage and a list of potential partners, look up the entry in the Skyrim Wiki.

    Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:10:00 14-03-2017
  • DrStrangelove 14 Mar 2017 17:06:02 10,668 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As for homes, they're incredibly useful for storing your stuff. Very useful if you're going for smithing and/or enchanting, you can store everything you need there, ingots, leather, rings, robes, armour, weapons, and stuff with "enhance smithing" enchantments and the like (which you need only for a short time to smith stuff nearby).

    Only once did I bother with a self-built Hearthfire house, because to my dismay I found out there aren't any merchants around them, and I absolutely need merchants close to my home, so I'll only care about homes in cities. In fact, I quickly just settled for Breezehome (Whiterun) because it has the most merchants in close vicinity and thus is imo the best home in the game. It's also close to the Companions, which is useful if you join them and take smithing courses from Eorlund (sell your loot, go to Eorlund, get smithing training).

    It's pretty small but that hardly matters since you can store an entire army's equipment in a sack of flour.

    Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:07:07 14-03-2017
  • OllyJ 14 Mar 2017 17:19:15 3,822 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    brilliant, great info! Better get a sack of flour, who knew!!
  • DrStrangelove 14 Mar 2017 17:59:53 10,668 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All containers are inside homes (well, mostly after buying furnishing). But I'm considering buying a sack of flour in real life, they seem to be pretty awesome

    Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:00:38 14-03-2017
  • DrStrangelove 14 Mar 2017 18:25:05 10,668 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

    I only ever used smithing to .....er....I'm not actually sure. My skyrim chars are normally 'not normal'. I can't be arsed with standard builds. My last character focused exclusively on sneak/critical and illusion only. Smithing is useful if you're into the late perks it gives, but I never bother tbh.
    Of course it greatly depends on your playstyle, but if you use any type of armour or weapons (both melee and bows) it's very powerful. On high levels, you can multiply their stats. If you want to, with a combination of smithing and enchanting skills, plus "fortify smithing" gear and potions, it's possible to hit the armour rating peak (iirc think that's 560 or something, for 80% damage reduction) even with leather/Forsworn armour. But in this case I'm talking about late to end game of course--at which point there's still an awful lot to do in Skyrim.

    You might play a pure mage, for those smithing isn't important. But if you play anything else, it's very powerful. If you're a thief or assassin, you're likely using light armour and a bow, and perhaps some light melee weapon (sword/dagger), smithing is great for them, especially since unsmithed light armour isn't very strong.

    Enchanting is very powerful for anyone, but especially for mages and thieves. Later on, you may cast spells without mana consumption, and abusing the fortify stealth can lead to hilarious results: you may crouch 1 metre in front of a bandit and he won't notice you. With enough fortify pickpocketing, you have a 90% chance of success in any attempt. Just sneak up to some bandits from behind and steal all their equipment, including all armour and weapons they're wearing. Add magic to that and call a frenzy/mayhem spell on one of them to make them beat each other up in their underwear. Or steal everything from townsfolk until everyone walks around in their underwear, without anyone noticing.

    Even as a pure mage, I find smithing very useful, because with a high enchantment skill I can make any gear blow mage robes or whatever away--with the added benefit of damage reduction thanks to being armour.
  • DrStrangelove 14 Mar 2017 18:28:14 10,668 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I almost forgot, if you take a non-pure-mage follower with you, the smithing/enchanting combo is extremely powerful to give them OP gear. Most notably, you can give them enchanted weapons with maximum enchanted power because they don't consume a weapon's mana. Make it so powerful that you'd get only one strike with it, for followers it doesn't matter. With this, Mjoll is a nigh-unstoppable force (she's one of the few "essential" NPC's which means they can't die--Serana is another one).

    Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:34:14 14-03-2017
  • quadfather 14 Mar 2017 18:34:27 27,227 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

    I only ever used smithing to .....er....I'm not actually sure. My skyrim chars are normally 'not normal'. I can't be arsed with standard builds. My last character focused exclusively on sneak/critical and illusion only. Smithing is useful if you're into the late perks it gives, but I never bother tbh.
    Of course it greatly depends on your playstyle, but if you use any type of armour or weapons (both melee and bows) it's very powerful. On high levels, you can multiply their stats. If you want to, with a combination of smithing and enchanting skills, plus "fortify smithing" gear and potions, it's possible to hit the armour rating peak (iirc think that's 560 or something, for 80% damage reduction) even with leather/Forsworn armour. But in this case I'm talking about late to end game of course--at which point there's still an awful lot to do in Skyrim.

    You might play a pure mage, for those smithing isn't important. But if you play anything else, it's very powerful. If you're a thief or assassin, you're likely using light armour and a bow, and perhaps some light melee weapon (sword/dagger), smithing is great for them, especially since unsmithed light armour isn't very strong.

    Enchanting is very powerful for anyone, but especially for mages and thieves. Later on, you may cast spells without mana consumption, and abusing the fortify stealth can lead to hilarious results: you may crouch 1 metre in front of a bandit and he won't notice you. With enough fortify pickpocketing, you have a 90% chance of success in any attempt. Just sneak up to some bandits from behind and steal all their equipment, including all armour and weapons they're wearing. Add magic to that and call a frenzy/mayhem spell on one of them to make them beat each other up in their underwear. Or steal everything from townsfolk until everyone walks around in their underwear, without anyone noticing.

    Even as a pure mage, I find smithing very useful, because with a high enchantment skill I can make any gear blow mage robes or whatever away--with the added benefit of damage reduction thanks to being armour.
    Haha that's brilliant. I do love my illusion / frenzy but the added hilarity of pick pocketing everyone's armour, weapons and clothing before setting them off on a rampage is sublime. Bravo there :)

    I was thinking of doing the enchantment fully so i could put 25% mana reduction on all 4 armour pieces for free spells, but to be honest i was having so much fun with dual casting high level mayhem and then steaming in doing criteria practically every other hit that I was in hogs heaven already!
  • DrStrangelove 14 Mar 2017 19:17:47 10,668 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The one problem of mages is that destruction magic doesn't scale well in the late game. At that point, using smithed and enchanted gear is much more powerful.
  • Rodderz 14 Mar 2017 19:38:17 2,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    *The one problem of mages is that destruction magic doesn't scale well in the late game. At that point, using smithed and enchanted gear is much more powerful.
    *In vanilla Skyrim yes, absolutely this is the case, but it's not if you've made use of a few very good and readily available mods... /cough ;)
  • OllyJ 15 Mar 2017 08:32:42 3,822 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OK so i levelled up a few smithing bits last night, seems like a long and costly process, Transmute spell is helping a lot, but fuck sake those skint shopkeepers. Serves me right for not doing this earlier, Eorlund is training me up, but i'm levelling up quite slow now.

    Question about mods, do they all disable trophies?
  • DukeSilver 15 Mar 2017 09:09:39 2,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They do but there are special mods to enable trophies when you have mods on. I think that makes sense. I'm having a slow wake up day. No well-rested bonus for me.
  • quadfather 15 Mar 2017 09:12:09 27,227 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Honestly, download the mod that gives the shopkeepers 10k - it saves so much time
  • OllyJ 15 Mar 2017 09:21:52 3,822 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Honestly, download the mod that gives the shopkeepers 10k - it saves so much time
    But TROPHIES....that i don't care about. But still care enough that i'd feel cheated if they were disabled.
  • quadfather 15 Mar 2017 09:32:44 27,227 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pff, you'll forget about them in ten seconds
  • DukeSilver 15 Mar 2017 10:33:16 2,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Quoting myself as I don't think my speech skill was high enough for people to notice.

    DukeSilver wrote:
    They do but there are special mods to enable trophies when you have mods on. I think that makes sense. I'm having a slow wake up day. No well-rested bonus for me.
  • OllyJ 15 Mar 2017 14:18:39 3,822 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DukeSilver wrote:
    Quoting myself as I don't think my speech skill was high enough for people to notice.

    DukeSilver wrote:
    They do but there are special mods to enable trophies when you have mods on. I think that makes sense. I'm having a slow wake up day. No well-rested bonus for me.
    ahaha ok cool, i'll have a look....best of both worlds.
  • OllyJ 15 Mar 2017 14:24:10 3,822 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seems like re-enabling achievements/trophies is only possible on PC.

    Edited by OllyJ at 14:24:30 15-03-2017
  • DrStrangelove 15 Mar 2017 15:19:07 10,668 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    OK so i levelled up a few smithing bits last night, seems like a long and costly process, Transmute spell is helping a lot, but fuck sake those skint shopkeepers. Serves me right for not doing this earlier, Eorlund is training me up, but i'm levelling up quite slow now.

    Question about mods, do they all disable trophies?
    On PC, I just use the dev console and give a shopkeeper 50,000 gold or something if needed. I think cheating via dev console doesn't disable achievements, but no guarantee.

    Without either: I'm not sure if this still works in the remaster, but in the old one you could sell loot -> save -> punch shopkeeper -> load -> shopkeeper has money again.
  • quadfather 15 Mar 2017 15:29:03 27,227 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    punch shopkeeper :D
  • OllyJ 15 Mar 2017 16:18:46 3,822 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    hahahaha
  • DrStrangelove 15 Mar 2017 18:59:29 10,668 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's actually one reason why I love Skyrim. On one hand there's all the atmosphere, and then there's all the hilarious wonkiness. It has some Monty Python quality of sorts.

    Edited by DrStrangelove at 19:00:28 15-03-2017
  • quadfather 15 Mar 2017 19:01:54 27,227 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

    Definitely. Some of the deaths I've had have had me laughing out loud. There's just something bonkers about the world that i love
  • DrStrangelove 15 Mar 2017 19:06:27 10,668 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Walking through the Scandinavian wilderness with that great soundtrack, totally absorbed... then suddenly a horse falls from the sky. Loving it.
  • quadfather 16 Mar 2017 11:53:12 27,227 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haha, yes, and I've had Lydia zoom across the screen before about 300 miles an hour.

    Also, some of the bugs are mental. I had to go and see Mirabelle at the Magic university, but she'd disappeared. I googled this and apparently she sometimes does this and is relatively nearby.

    Except she wasn't in my game. She was on top of an iceberg in the middle of the ocean.

    I fucking got to her though using the mod that lets you jump to the roof of the world -

  • HelloNo 16 Mar 2017 12:27:30 1,941 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What the actual hell : D
  • quadfather 16 Mar 2017 12:36:47 27,227 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know. Took me ages to work out a plan to get to her :)

    In fact the jump to the roof of the world was rob the hermits idea. Worked a treat :)

    Edited by quadfather at 12:38:46 16-03-2017
  • HelloNo 16 Mar 2017 12:51:38 1,941 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I admire your dedication. Even ridiculous bugs can't stop you. I suppose you have to get used to them though, it adds to the whole thing in a way.
  • quadfather 16 Mar 2017 13:09:44 27,227 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It seems crazy bugs are par for the course in these games :)
  • OllyJ 16 Mar 2017 13:48:24 3,822 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love going underwater and seeing a fox just legging it about.
  • Page

    of 566 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.