• Page

of 493 First / Last

• twelveways 28 Jun 2013 06:02:11 3,521 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My favourite mods are:

Open Cities - Turns Skyrim into a fully open world
    Immersive Weapons/Armors/Followers - Overhaul and more variation
    Cloaks of Skyrim - adds cloaks and capes (aesthetics only although I think they can be enchanted)
    Nude Females - don't judge me
    More NPCs in The Wild/Travellers of Skyrim/populated cities/inconsequential NPCs - Make SKyrim seem more alive
    Better Sortin - Helps with finding stuff in your inventory
    Harvest more Ingredients - randomises amount of ingredients you get from each harvest
    Deadly Spell Effects - Makes magic look better
    Realistic Ragdoll and Force - Does what it says
    Dead Body Collision - Kick dead bodies as you walk past them.
    Duel Combat Realism - Makes combat more challenging/rewarding

I can't go back to vanilla now, it just feels.... like a game.
  • OptimusPube 28 Jun 2013 06:42:24 2,424 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My two favourite mods are the house expansion ones and the one where you can change your coins into other things and back via the forge.

Is it supposed to be like this?

• Vortex808 28 Jun 2013 09:35:22 6,572 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finally got the main story done last night. Now to mop up millions of sidequests, guild quests and the two main pieces of DLC too.

I only went on for a 'quick hour' after the football last night, then stayed up to 1:30am instead. /o\
  • twelveways 28 Jun 2013 11:40:45 3,521 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    there is no such thing as a quick hour on skyrim.

I can't even set myself a quest limit because I get sidetracked so easily. "Hmm, travel north to defeat the bandit So'Gorath.... Ooh, wonder what's in this cave..."
  • B0rked_Gamer 28 Jun 2013 11:47:01 1,876 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    My favourite mods are:

Open Cities - Turns Skyrim into a fully open world
    Immersive Weapons/Armors/Followers - Overhaul and more variation
    Cloaks of Skyrim - adds cloaks and capes (aesthetics only although I think they can be enchanted)
    Nude Females - don't judge me
    More NPCs in The Wild/Travellers of Skyrim/populated cities/inconsequential NPCs - Make SKyrim seem more alive
    Better Sortin - Helps with finding stuff in your inventory
    Harvest more Ingredients - randomises amount of ingredients you get from each harvest
    Deadly Spell Effects - Makes magic look better
    Realistic Ragdoll and Force - Does what it says
    Dead Body Collision - Kick dead bodies as you walk past them.
    Duel Combat Realism - Makes combat more challenging/rewarding

I can't go back to vanilla now, it just feels.... like a game.
    Behold my judgemental gaze of JUDGEMENT.

Open cities sounds intriguing.
  • twelveways 28 Jun 2013 11:49:25 3,521 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It really makes it more immersive, especially when you can lure monsters into the cities. Doesn't work with the 'better cities' mods though although there are plenty of mods that you can use that give similar effects.
  • M83J01P97 17 Jul 2013 13:09:32 6,390 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-17-hey-bethesda-this-19yo-spent-2000-hours-making-a-25-hour-skyrim-mod

Am I missing something here... tried downloading this mod only to be told I have to register, which is apparently free, but when you register your asked to make a one off payment or pick a subscription package...

Also just check the Steam Workshop and this isn't listed on there. So there is no way of playing this mod for free then?
  • monkehhh 17 Jul 2013 13:44:09 3,142 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just don't select any and press Create Account at the bottom.
  • CaptainKid 24 Jul 2013 23:22:04 134 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sorry did not read all 482 pages.

I just started playing Fallout New Vegas again (90 hours so far) and I think it could very well be the best game ever made. (and far from perfect like all good games are; Deus ex, GTA4 etc.)

Naturally I have a very high interest in Bethesda RPG's (I know, it was made by Obsidian but on the foundation of Fallout 3 by Bethesda) and was wondering about some remarks I've seen posted on the internet about Skyrim.

Skyrim is a shallow game. What do people mean by this?

I did play Skyrim for about 35 hours but don't really like medieval settings I much prefer scifi and guns. To me it plays about the same as Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3. (while exchanging guns for swords and magic obviously)

Edited by CaptainKid at 23:22:52 24-07-2013
  • TheMayorOfJugs 24 Jul 2013 23:58:22 2,304 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @CaptainKid Have you played Oblivion? A lot of fans just complained that the world wasn't as immersive (ie, it was shallower or whatever word you want to use) in Skyrim as it was in Oblivion, like they couldn't get as caught up in the atmosphere and lore and so didn't enjoy it as much. I kind of agree, but Skyrim is still a great game.
  • CaptainKid 25 Jul 2013 00:24:59 134 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs
    Yes I also played Oblivion for 40-50 hours.
    I did like the Oblivion world more but I'm not a fan of snow and found the Skyrim world a bit grey and bland.

Do you mean just the visuals when you talk about immersion and lore?

People talk about the differences between Fallout 3 and New Vegas but I never (consciously) noticed. Until I read about them.
  • Madder-Max 25 Jul 2013 00:31:40 11,573 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oblivion just has something more to it. Its hard to pinpoint but a good start is the music. Just the loading screens music is epic and the fame/infamy thing helps as well as the fact that playing as a vampire is a far more tactical game.

I dunno there are more consequences to ur actions in oblivion whereas skyrim is more of an 'Action Man collectable accessories with a good story' experience.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• TheMayorOfJugs 25 Jul 2013 00:33:09 2,304 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @CaptainKid Ahh I'm terrible at putting my thoughts into words. It's more like, there weren't as many epic quests or memorable characters, and the main questline was kind of dull, as was the empire/stormcloak line. Anyone I know that had a problem with the game said the same spark that hooks you on a game and it's world just wasn't there. I think the snow and grey had a lot to do with it as well yes, and they did little to adress it with the dlc unfortunately (besides the Hermaeus Mora sections in Dragonborn).
  • CaptainKid 25 Jul 2013 00:37:29 134 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs
    I know what you mean. I love walking around in Fallout 3, there is something about it which makes it feel like an adventure. (the apocalyptic atmosphere)
    Something that is a bit missing in Fallout New Vegas sadly.

And Oblivion was more interesting to walk around in then Skyrim. Beautiful forests vs snowy forests and lots of mountains.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 25 Jul 2013 00:46:58 2,304 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @CaptainKid Exactly, it just resonates more or something and so you have a better personal experience.

I think people's problem with New Vegas was how happy the people were compared to the first 3, and the absolute over-indulgence and lunacy of The Strip. I really enjoyed it though, it was hilarious in a way Bethesda couldn't really accomplish themselves and it was a nice albeit unrealistic break for the most part from the doom and gloom of 3.
  • spamdangled 25 Jul 2013 00:52:30 27,197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Now to mop up millions of sidequests
    Good luck. Most of them are randomly generated...

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 25 Jul 2013 00:54:38 27,197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CaptainKid wrote:
    Oblivion was more interesting to walk around in then Skyrim. Beautiful forests vs snowy forests and lots of mountains.
    0_o

Oblivion's world was awful. Generic, dull, procedurally generated, incredibly repetitive (much like the game/series itself)... Skyrim's world was far more interesting visually.

Neither are particularly good games though, until you slap a shit-tonne of mods on top of them.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• CaptainKid 25 Jul 2013 00:57:57 134 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs
    I always had the feeling civilization was close by (because of all the NCR camps) which did ruin a big chunk of the adventurous exploration (feeling).

In Fallout 3 it really felt I was all on my own in a desolate world with big scary mutants and gangs roaming.

But perhaps they did make a good call making it like that, not all games should be the same.
    Maybe the same can be said for Skyrim's snowy grey world compared to Oblivion's beautiful spring forests world. Perhaps the next Elder Scrolls will be more like Morrowind with it's almost alien like world.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 25 Jul 2013 01:03:26 2,304 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    darkmorgado wrote:

Neither are particularly good games though, until you slap a shit-tonne of mods on top of them.
    ...... What would you call a good game then? O_o

Edited by TheMayorOfJugs at 01:04:23 25-07-2013
  • spamdangled 25 Jul 2013 01:35:19 27,197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

One with depth, a well-crafted story, variety in quest objectives, meaningful decisions and a levelling system that isn't completely broken?

Morrowind got the balance largely spot-on, with a stupidly deep storyline, multiple outcomes, quests that weren't just endless variations of each other (and even some that were red herrings, like the infamous magical jumping spell quest which still makes me laugh now thinking about it). The levelling system was still open to exploitation through the bartering system, but was still far better implemented than it was in Oblivion (urgh) and Skyrim.

In fact, Morrowind still stands up extremely well today - especially if you install some of the modern graphics mods that bring in things like HDR lighting, reflections, etc.

Edited by darkmorgado at 01:40:35 25-07-2013

• Mola_Ram 25 Jul 2013 03:37:10 6,277 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, +1 to what darkmorgado said. I didn't think much of vanilla Oblivion or Skyrim (although Skyrim was much better imo). Lifeless NPCs, boring quests, dull scenery (in Oblivion at least), horrible interface in Skyrim. I played both on 360, so didn't have any modding options.

But I've just bought Skyrim again on PC, and am going to install said shit-tonne of mods. There are some things I *loved* about the game, and hopefully there will be some mods to address the things I didn't love so much.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 25 Jul 2013 04:12:47 2,304 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

One with depth, a well-crafted story, variety in quest objectives, meaningful decisions and a levelling system that isn't completely broken?

Morrowind got the balance largely spot-on, with a stupidly deep storyline, multiple outcomes, quests that weren't just endless variations of each other (and even some that were red herrings, like the infamous magical jumping spell quest which still makes me laugh now thinking about it). The levelling system was still open to exploitation through the bartering system, but was still far better implemented than it was in Oblivion (urgh) and Skyrim.

In fact, Morrowind still stands up extremely well today - especially if you install some of the modern graphics mods that bring in things like HDR lighting, reflections, etc.
    No no no, I mean, please tell me what games have proven thus? I enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim immensely despite their flaws (although I'm not half as scathing a critic as you) and I'd like to play what you'd say wildly outclasses them? If you'd care to indulge, that is.
  • Scimarad 25 Jul 2013 08:39:53 8,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs

Really? I thought Oblivion was incredibly bland and repetitive and playing Fallout 3 and Skyrim just made it seem worse. There was stuff I liked in Oblivion but to me the following games seemed better in almost every regard.

Edited by Scimarad at 08:40:11 25-07-2013
  • Phattso Moderator 25 Jul 2013 08:42:20 12,727 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is that list intentionally empty? :)
  • spamdangled 25 Jul 2013 08:51:34 27,197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As an RPG, then: Morrowind, Witcher and Witcher 2, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Torment, KOTOR 2, Dark Souls (and to a lesser extent - lesser mainly due to its more segmented world - Demon's Souls), Baldur's Gate 2 (I racked up anout 300 hours playing that back in the day while working Night Shifts in a call centre), Fallout 2, Wizardry 8 (despite the odd juxtaposition of fantasy and sci-fi towards the end of it), Bloodlines, Jade Empire, X3: Reunion.

Ones I'm looking forward to: Project Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numera,

Admittedly, as you say, I have pretty high standards when it comes to deciding what constitutes a great or excellent game as opposed to something merely enjoyable or adequate, but I often feel these days that many modern RPGs set out to be competent rather than ambitious and sacrifice depth for square footage. The last two Elder Scrolls games felt like that to me - focussing on "oooooh purdy" over depth of systems and story. You can tell that large parts of them were cooked up by a procedural generator, with reams of quests and areas that were severely undercooked and under-utilised. Skyrim in particular, with it's infinite number of randomly-generated quests, often feels like the developers said "oh, we have a big area here where nothing happens, better shove a quest, a dungeon and a few NPCs in it".

The games I listed above all redefined my expectations of what games can be and stole away a combined total of several thousand hours of my life, and I still go back and play them now to return to their worlds and characters. In ten year's time, I can't imagine that I will decide to re-install vanilla Skyrim again and I wouldn't be surprised if retrospectives of the title start to treat it far less kindly (much like Oblivion, which now comes in for frequently scathing criticism).

• spamdangled 25 Jul 2013 08:52:52 27,197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Give me a chance to finish my morning coffee and sort out my workload for the day!

• CaptainKid 25 Jul 2013 11:04:37 134 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @darkmorgado
    "As an RPG, then: Morrowind, Witcher and Witcher 2, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Torment, KOTOR 2, Dark Souls (and to a lesser extent - lesser mainly due to its more segmented world - Demon's Souls), Baldur's Gate 2 (I racked up anout 300 hours playing that back in the day while working Night Shifts in a call centre), Fallout 2, Wizardry 8 (despite the odd juxtaposition of fantasy and sci-fi towards the end of it), Bloodlines, Jade Empire, X3: Reunion."

I don't know all the games on that list but the once I do know are not open world RPG's. Off course an open world RPG feels less tight story wise. Deus Ex for example is one of the best games ever made but it's divided in several small maps which are played in a fixed order. (excellent design I think, still incredible freedom but also more tight for the story)

I agree once finished I probably will never play these open world RPG's again but will have clocked three to four times as many hours then a normal RPG anyway.
  • Phattso Moderator 25 Jul 2013 11:24:18 12,727 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    Give me a chance to finish my morning coffee and sort out my workload for the day!
    I was referring to Scimarad's post just above mine.
  • Load_2.0 25 Jul 2013 11:47:10 18,223 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    My biggest complaint against Skyrim is that the loot is utterly pointless.
    Yeah and far too easy to acquire, once you have reasonable armour/weaponry the game becomes a doddle.

Travel for ages, slay bandits/witches/vamps, collect loot, travel for ages. Stuff loot in chest, sleep. Rinse and repeat.

Skyrim needed to completely overhaul the combat, being able to crush everything so early in the game (including dragons) meant it lost it's appeal early.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Jul 2013 13:32:08 6,277 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    An open-world game with, say, Chivalry's combat system would be sensational. Or the Dark Souls one.
  • Page

of 493 First / Last