The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Page 480

• Page

of 495 First / Last

• Pumpatron 27 Apr 2013 16:39:05 389 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm really enjoying this so far.

My sneak and archery skills are coming along nicely, and the combat is surprisingly satisfying, picking off bandits from 100m away with a single arrow feels great. Some of them are fucking stupid though, 'it must have been my imagination' ...yeah, that's why your mate is lying there with an arrow in his face. And his balls.

I don't like the melee combat though, it feels really floaty and imprecise so I'm glad I went down the archery route. Also I love how exploring can lead to unexpected areas and before you know it you're in a huge underground cave system with Indiana Jones style traps, secret doors, and skeletons to kill. :)
  • frugtkompot 28 Apr 2013 10:00:56 2,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've recently picked up a soul trap bow, which just makes archery all that more satisfying.

Had an odd moment yesterday where I was repeatedly attacked by a frost dragon. Took me one hour trying to kill it before I googled a solution out of frustration. Turned out I could just run away. Doh.

The only downside of this game - aside from a slew of bugs here and there - is the way the quest lines are structured so that you can't complete them in one after another. I must have like 4-5 quest lines just sitting there while I try to rank up elsewhere, because I'm simply not powerful enough for what the game requires me to do. I hope this gets better later in the game.
  • skuzzbag 28 Apr 2013 10:36:56 5,732 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That was miles better than Oblivion though where you could just run through the main quest at level 1 and by the end you were level 8 or so with two hugely powerful rings then a lot of the rest of the game was easy. Bethesda answered the criticism with the levelled quests so that you'd need to steadily progress. It leads to a better overall experience but you still get the very flexible approach they have in their games.

You can get past some of the spikes with a little thought mind. Potions, scrolls and other means of turning the tide are all part of the game. I got past that bastard in the cellar in the early thief quest at a low level on about my 10th go but it took quite a bit of skill, the right scroll/potion at the right time and luck with crits to do it.
  • Matt36 29 Apr 2013 15:15:18 1,477 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @skuzzbag But the final 'boss' for the main quest of Oblivion, you didn't fight, along with fighting scamps, running up towers and recruiting other cities to help fight - you really didnt do a lot.
  • ubergine 29 Apr 2013 15:42:07 2,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Once you've learned the gameplay ins and outs the default difficulty is a doddle on any level. Bows and poisons for example. I think of you wanted to be a pure character, eg only use magic, it would be more troublesome, as it does seem to take some time to make say destruction powerful enough. Particularly on console, where you only have 2 hotkeys.

I've been playing again recently to try and get to the dawnguard and dragonborn content. I saw Alduin randomly awakening a named dragon, didn't realize he did that. On previous playthroughs only saw him at scripted moments.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Matt36 2 May 2013 12:22:18 1,477 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    Once you've learned the gameplay ins and outs the default difficulty is a doddle on any level.
    Surely that goes for any game?
  • Moot_Point 15 May 2013 14:59:47 4,611 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Could I get some general impressions on the extra DLC content. I am thinking of getting the GotY version, but I'm unsure how much value for money the DLC is.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• magicpanda 15 May 2013 15:20:09 13,480 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you are a big fan of Skyrim get it all. If not get Dawnguard and the Dragonborn.
  • Moot_Point 15 May 2013 15:29:09 4,611 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I like Skyrim, but I prefer Morrowind and Oblivion much, much more. Actually how much DLC has been released? /crawls under stone

================================================================================

• HelloNo 15 May 2013 22:52:42 1,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dragonborn is defiitely worth it. Can't speak for the other bits and pieces.
  • robthehermit 15 May 2013 23:05:26 4,320 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    I like Skyrim, but I prefer Morrowind and Oblivion much, much more. Actually how much DLC has been released? /crawls under stone
    just the 3 pieces, and it's been confirmed there'll be no more.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• ubergine 15 May 2013 23:44:32 2,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think all the 3 DLCs add to the Armour and weapon crafting options in the game. I have all of them and have barely touched the extra content apart from what you can make for the vanilla game!

It can be worth waiting a little while to get Dawnguard perhaps as it adds vampire attacks in cities and you run the risk of losing NPCs you don't want to, especially blacksmiths.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Madder-Max 16 May 2013 01:08:10 11,688 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    Once you've learned the gameplay ins and outs the default difficulty is a doddle on any level. Bows and poisons for example. I think of you wanted to be a pure character, eg only use magic, it would be more troublesome, as it does seem to take some time to make say destruction powerful enough. Particularly on console, where you only have 2 hotkeys.

I've been playing again recently to try and get to the dawnguard and dragonborn content. I saw Alduin randomly awakening a named dragon, didn't realize he did that. On previous playthroughs only saw him at scripted moments.
    My pure destruction mage would not have gotten far without serana, a soul trap enhanced dwarven crossbow and bound sword, so u r right. The game is ained at bow and weapon users.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• mrharvest 16 May 2013 06:24:55 5,203 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I never had any problem with pure magic users. Towards the end you have unlimited mana for destruction spells so you can splatter whatever you want. Unless you mean 'pure destruction' as in no conjuration, no illusion, no alteration, no restoration, no enchanting?
  • frugtkompot 18 May 2013 09:12:49 2,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What's the fun in that? I might use destruction the most, but I'm thinking part of the joy in magic is that you can play such a varied game.

Right now I'm digging the conjuration spells. What would I do without a flame atronach taking everyone's attention?
  • Madder-Max 18 May 2013 09:31:11 11,688 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Destruction at 94, enchanting at 97, smithing at 100. Got emergency nordic and ebony health absorb swords for when in a corner. On my fourth character and wanted to see how the ame played when focussed on one area as much as possible. The other three ended up in the usual one handed, archery and sneak thing: which is actually a challenge to avoid.

Bound weapons boost conjurgation on casting and use thereof boosts whichever relevent skill tree. (Bow - archery etc....)

Flame astronachs are kewel. Favourite spell is dual cast fireball as I get a stagger on it whereas on incinerate I don't which can make the difference.

Its annoying though that u can be in a battle, take some hits and the magica recharge slows to a crawl, even if u r not engaged in combat. This is regardless of any magica regen enchantments and as soon as the red dots dissapear the regen rate speeds right up. Highborn counters this problem to some extent though.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• DrStrangelove 18 May 2013 15:52:02 4,651 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    I think all the 3 DLCs add to the Armour and weapon crafting options in the game.
    Hearthfire didn't. It only allowed you to craft your house and buy the raw materials for it.
  • DrStrangelove 18 May 2013 16:04:00 4,651 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Madder-Max

You're right in that there's no way to power up your spells as you can power up weapons via smithing, and with maxed out smithing that's immense.

I found pure magic difficult in mid-game, but once you can enchant your stuff to not consume any magic at all in one or two schools, it gets a lot easier imo. The most important perk for that is the double enchanting one though, which you get only at enchanting level 100.

I think this one perk is the most unbalanced one of all. Many lvl100 perks don't do much, this one is overkill.
  • Moot_Point 29 May 2013 13:49:26 4,611 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Are there anymore use for Dragon bone/scale in the DLC? It is bullshit how you can only craft dragon armour with these materials, especially as you can craft armour but no weapons.

Oh on another note, I have noticed that the light armour skills you unlock are fucked. I unlocked the light armour perk "custom fit" and it only works on a matched set (well only the nightingale set AFAIK). Does anyone know if there has been a patch to remedy this?

Even though I initially thought skyrim was graphically excellent, it's obvious bugs like this that should have been picked up and fixed before release. This instalment of TES feels sloppy in places, and overall ( with the fixed enchantments on certain pieces of armour and the exclusion of spell creation) is a shadow of previous games. (I'm not sure why they cut the silence spell/enchantment either)

Let's hope Bethesda pull their socks for the next instalment, because it seems the developers are more concerned with making a quick buck, rather than making sure that the game is worthy to be a sequel to games considered to be remarkable.

• onestepfromlost 29 May 2013 13:53:39 2,117 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As far as I'm aware custom fit seems to work fine for me, and im wearing mixed light armour, glass helmet, elven armour, glass boots linwes gloves. I get the armour bonus no problem.
    As for the dragonbone scales, I think its dragonborn DLC that adds dragonbone weapons.
  • Moot_Point 29 May 2013 14:06:02 4,611 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted

• Moot_Point 29 May 2013 14:09:09 4,611 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Aha, so there must be a patch I am missing for the light armour skills. Hopefully it will be included in the GotY edition.

• pigsy2400 30 May 2013 08:45:35 153 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A Skyrim Playthrough is much like writing a poem, it is never finished, only abandoned!
  • Scimarad 30 May 2013 08:47:13 8,635 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So true!
  • HoriZon 30 May 2013 10:36:45 13,596 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well after 160 hours over the last year I have done pretty much everything I can be bothered to do and thats with no DLC, I'm out! :)

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• robthehermit 30 May 2013 10:44:15 4,320 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm back in. Been playing this for the last few days and loving it every bit as much as I did when it first came out. Bit gutted that one of the merchants died in a vampire attack though. RIP Belethor.

• Benno 30 May 2013 11:14:26 10,268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pigsy2400 wrote:
    A Skyrim Playthrough is much like writing a poem, it is never finished, only abandoned!
    :D
  • DrStrangelove 30 May 2013 16:43:05 4,651 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Are there anymore use for Dragon bone/scale in the DLC? It is bullshit how you can only craft dragon armour with these materials, especially as you can craft armour but no weapons.
    Dawnguard adds dragonbone weapons. You can also craft your own arrows now, including dragonbone.

Oh on another note, I have noticed that the light armour skills you unlock are fucked. I unlocked the light armour perk "custom fit" and it only works on a matched set (well only the nightingale set AFAIK). Does anyone know if there has been a patch to remedy this?
    Works fine here. I just looked up the entry in the Skyrim Wiki and there's no mention of any bugs there, while usually there are detailed lists of discovered bugs in other entries.

I do remember though that I once had a problem with the equivalent heavy armour perk, because the helmet of the set apparently wasn't classified as heavy armour, even though it clearly was.
  • DrStrangelove 30 May 2013 16:43:57 4,651 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:

As for the dragonbone scales, I think its dragonborn DLC that adds dragonbone weapons.
    No, it's Dawnguard.
  • robthehermit 30 May 2013 17:08:14 4,320 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And crossbows. Don't forget about the crossbows.

• Page

of 495 First / Last