The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Page 479

• Page

of 495 First / Last

• spamdangled 15 Apr 2013 21:32:26 27,276 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    Recently went back to Skyrim some months after initially completing it thinking I'd hoover up some of the last few achievements. Damn it's hard to get back into. Felt ropey as fuck.
    It was always ropey as fuck, only back then it was riding a train full of hype and new shiny shiny.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Pumpatron 15 Apr 2013 22:35:05 374 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Haha thanks guys, I wasn't expecting that much advice. How can I go wrong, wait.... I may already have by picking generic-nord-face as my character, it's ok though, I gave him a beard.

The lizard guy, weird cat thing and orc-face kind of freaked me out. So I plumped for a standard human. With a beard. A great beard. Beards have magic powers in this, right? No, oh well.

But seriously, your collective advice will hopefully help me die less and kill more. Cheers :)
  • frugtkompot 19 Apr 2013 09:42:02 2,819 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh my, oh my, oh my. My follower, J'Zargo, died yesterday - and I couldn't understand how he could be so weak.

Turns out today as I'm reading about followers that they don't really die - they're only weakened - unless you kill them in their weakened phase. So essentially I killed him as I was spraying our attackers with fire. Poor, J'Zargo. I'll miss you so.

What's even worse is that I can't go back to Lydia, because I'm in a civil war with Whiterun, so can't enter the Dragonsreach castle.

I'm all alone now. All by myself.

So which follower is wise to go pick-up / quest for?
  • Elathron 19 Apr 2013 10:55:02 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @frugtkompot - J'Zargo not a happy pussy cat in other words. Literally anyone, they're all the same, brainless morons who'll sooner get in front of your bow than do anything useful. I literally use my side-kicks as mules, leaving them at the entrance to dungeons to hold excess gear.
    But if you're really looking for a badass, get one of the alteration/conjuration mages. They're the most helpful in the long run IMO.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• frugtkompot 19 Apr 2013 13:22:25 2,819 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I had one of those. She died too, so I suppose I killed her too.

Maybe I'M just not that good of a follower. Now people in Skyrim know that when I come along begging for assistance, it's just a matter of time before I accidently roast them.
  • johnthewliss 21 Apr 2013 13:01:51 34 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Not played this since March 2012, think it's time to go back!
  • Madder-Max 21 Apr 2013 14:39:07 11,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Serana is the best companion as she is a suberb necromancer with ice spike and vampiric drain as her main weapons and she constantly reanimates strong corpses. She is fond of one handed weapons for close up to compliment my ranged fire mage with enhanced crossbow. U can upgrade her one handed weapons easily too but she won't change her armour.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Matt36 21 Apr 2013 15:51:33 1,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @johnthewliss Do it! You'll question why you ever stopped!
  • Madder-Max 21 Apr 2013 17:06:24 11,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Btw, if u get dawnguard, be prepared to lose the riften stall owners and blacksmith to vampire attacks. U can spot the pale travellers and kill them if quick enough but they will eventually all die cos they will fight the vamps.

• skuzzbag 21 Apr 2013 17:17:17 5,638 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm right back into this.bought dragonborne and then realised I still have about 50% of skyrim left to play.
  • Matt36 21 Apr 2013 17:26:27 1,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Madder-Max This upset me. The Riften store owner had the most money on my game -.-
  • Kanjin 21 Apr 2013 17:43:19 1,077 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm getting good use out of the shield + sword companon at the moment. My dragonborn is a sneaky one hand + heal type with light armour so he needs the tanking.

Course I seem to hit him every fight, and using Storm Call meant I needed to reload... but anyhoo!
  • skuzzbag 21 Apr 2013 17:50:02 5,638 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My style now is to sneak bow attack to start a fight, conjour a fire whatsit and then sit back and let that and the sidekick do most of the work. I'll step in at the end and administer the final blow then reap the rewards and take the praise with a straight face.
  • Madder-Max 21 Apr 2013 18:24:45 11,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Matt36 I lost my blacksmith bro. Nicest bloke in the game. I then robbed his house, killed his assistant, robbed his corpse and took out about 8 riften guards inside the blacksmiths house. Got outside and managed to quickly fast travel out but can't go near riften now until I have a few spare grand to pay off the bounty.

• Matt36 21 Apr 2013 18:46:05 1,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Madder-Max I love that you have individual bounty's per place. But a spare grand? You must be early in to the game? I stopped caring for gold by the end.
  • Madder-Max 21 Apr 2013 20:17:10 11,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Think its about 6 grand bounty and level 30. Focussed on destruction magic and enchanting all without making any effort with gold. Got about 9 grand now but spent a bomb on training and buying the whiterun house.

• Matt36 21 Apr 2013 20:19:26 1,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The whiterun house is my house of choice. I've nearly 500k from the game and nothing to really spend it on. If I could send you coin, I would :p
  • Elathron 21 Apr 2013 20:33:08 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Legendary skills away!!! I recommend unlocking all the perks in lockpicking because the coin gained from burial urns is insane. Picking up 2-5 gems in each one since unlocking it. Money is literally no issue and the nice thing is that this can be gained very early on in the game. All the skills that seemed "auxiliary" are now quite tempting because you can level up infinitely.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Matt36 21 Apr 2013 20:36:17 1,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You can? Ooo! I may go back to it now!
  • StaffyDog 23 Apr 2013 15:17:35 255 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'v built my own mansion overlooking the lake with an impressive snowy mountain view. :-D
  • Matt36 23 Apr 2013 15:37:39 1,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I rather use Whiterun :p I sold all the shit out of it, moved my family and store all my items in specific draws.

Shame I can't display all my armour :(
  • DrStrangelove 23 Apr 2013 16:12:29 3,571 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @frugtkompot

Some followers have the in-game tag of "essential", which means they cannot die. I think the best followers are Serana of Dawnguard (if you want a mage), and Mjoll the Lioness of Riften if you want a warrior. They both can never die.

I think all in all Mjoll is the best, because she doesn't only pack some punch to begin with, but as with all warrior types you can make her a lot stronger by giving her better weapons and armour. This is saying someone who always goes for smithing and enchanting skills though, so if you don't do that, the benefit might be smaller.

But she may be among the hardest followers to obtain, the Grimsever quest leads through large Dwemer ruins with enemies that are very dangerous if you haven't levelled up a bit already.

A few tips:

A) give your warrior/archer follower just one of your best arrows. They don't consume them, so they need only one, and you can pick them up after combat just like your own. So you'll actually collect more of those arrows.

B) Give them powerful enchanted weapons. They don't consume their power either.

C) Faendal, the archer Elf of Riverwood, is an excellent early follower. He's very easy to obtain (by a letter delivering "quest"), he gives good support fire, and if you like, you can exploit him teaching you archery for free. You let him teach you archery, then trade items with him to just take your gold back. The downside is that power-levelling one skill makes you and your enemies level up while your other skills like armour are too weak for levelled up enemies. And of course it's immoral.
  • DrStrangelove 23 Apr 2013 16:17:33 3,571 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Madder-Max

"Btw, if u get dawnguard, be prepared to lose the riften stall owners and blacksmith to vampire attacks."

Oh yes. I'm a Whiterun dweller, and I like to sell looted weapons/armour, but those fuckers always kill Adreanna Avenicci and Ulfberth War-Bear. That really sucks, I wish Bethesda had made it a bit different so that there's not an 80% chance of losing those whenever the vampires strike.
  • DrStrangelove 23 Apr 2013 16:25:47 3,571 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @darkmorgado

I disagree with Skyrim being ropey, it has an awful lot of problems, but it has an even greater lot of good stuff.

It still is the best RPG I ever played.
  • Vortex808 23 Apr 2013 16:52:19 7,037 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have dawnguard, but not played it yet, the smiths in whiterun are both still alive as I approach the build up towards the end of the main story, so hopefully that has been fixed.

Mjoll is indeed fantastic. I liked her so much as a follower, I asked her to marry me.....
  • DrStrangelove 23 Apr 2013 17:12:48 3,571 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think the vampires don't attack before you're actually starting the Dawnguard quest.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:13:46 23-04-2013
  • Vortex808 23 Apr 2013 18:52:39 7,037 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have had random vampire attacks in whiterun, riften and a smaller settlement. The guards usually kill them quickly.

That may have been part of the original game anyway, but guards keep telling me about the dawnguard etc, so it may tie in together. I bought dawnguard on sale before getting the game so have no idea.
  • Madder-Max 23 Apr 2013 19:56:03 11,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Serana is the best companion as she is a suberb necromancer with ice spike and vampiric drain as her main weapons and she constantly reanimates strong corpses. She is fond of one handed weapons for close up to compliment my ranged fire mage with enhanced crossbow. U can upgrade her one handed weapons easily too but she won't change her armour.
    She will changer her armour btw! I upgraded a set of vampire armour to epic and she put that shit on over her royal armour straight away. Completed the good run of dawnguard but got the glitch where I can't get her to cure her vampirism and the duialogue option doesn't come up. Think it happens if u discuss it with her b4 the end of dawnguard. She keeps infecting me now!

• DrStrangelove 23 Apr 2013 20:15:03 3,571 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    I have had random vampire attacks in whiterun, riften and a smaller settlement. The guards usually kill them quickly.
    That may be because I think vampires level up with you and guards don't. It may be they're harder later in the game. Anyway, problem is that people attack them on sight, and your merchants are much weaker than them and are quickly killed. Stupid design if you ask me.

There's one mission where you have to steal a horse. While riding back, there were enemies fighting in the distance, I dismounted, went there to fight them, and halfway through the fight I noticed the fucking horse was attacking too. Of course it died and the mission failed. Annoying.
  • Matt36 27 Apr 2013 12:59:25 1,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Can I display armour in my White run house?
  • Page

of 495 First / Last