• Page

of 495 First / Last

• Rodriguez 26 Mar 2013 17:03:14 1,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    glo wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Agghh! Hurry up and make DragonBorn 800 points MS!!
    Offer is online now.

Just bought it to add to the growing list of stuff that I don't have the time to play...
    Sweet. I will be buying that tonight. As if I have not spent enough time on Skyrim since I started playing it this year, but needs must. :)
    They seem to be doing all the DLC cheaper on XBL today for some reason!?

Dragonborn & Dawnguard are both 800MSP and Hearthfire is only 200MSP.

Is it worth getting all of them or can anyone here recommend the best major add-on?
  • oldschoolsoviet 26 Mar 2013 17:19:40 5,459 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just splash out !

DB probably edges out DG, thanks to the new island of Solstheim and those Morrowind memories. DG introduces new dungeons and areas within the existing Skyrim map, and those lovely follower options, armoured dogs and trolls, assuming you've chosen the right path, and shunned the vampires. *spit*

Wouldn't hesitate at those two, but Hearthfire is unnecessary. Unless building a trio of identikit houses in obscure locations, and filling them with a wife and adopted (read: annoying) orphan is your cup of tea.
  • Kanjin 26 Mar 2013 17:35:24 1,083 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Second recommendation for Dragonborn here. Can't speak for the other two as I haven't got them. It's nice having the new area to mooch about in.
  • Rodriguez 26 Mar 2013 19:23:48 1,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^Thanks chaps, my wallet now hates both of you ;)
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 19:29:26
    Recently went back to Skyrim some months after initially completing it thinking I'd hoover up some of the last few achievements. Damn it's hard to get back into. Felt ropey as fuck.
  • Vortex808 26 Mar 2013 19:36:40 7,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dragonborn is mine at last! :D
  • DrStrangelove 31 Mar 2013 00:03:53 3,604 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @HairyArse

Really? I mean, it's not quite a challenging game.
  • DrStrangelove 31 Mar 2013 00:09:05 3,604 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rodriguez wrote:

Dragonborn & Dawnguard are both 800MSP and Hearthfire is only 200MSP.

Is it worth getting all of them or can anyone here recommend the best major add-on?
    If you like Skyrim, Dragonborn and Dawnguard are both worth it. Dragonborn has a bit more content than Dawnguard, but I enjoyed both.

Hearthfire is utterly pointless if you ask me. You can build a house from very few pre-fab options, adopt children etc., if you're that much into role playing it might be worth it. I bought it when I was drunk and wanted to have all achievements. After I got the achievements, I simply threw it away. In my opinion, one of the most pointless DLC's ever.
  • EMarkM 1 Apr 2013 22:58:52 3,173 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Despite saying I'd never bother, I've completed the Companions questline today. More interesting than I had anticipated.

I'm Thane of quite a few places now, though not all.

Still enjoying this game, no DLC as yet. Just wish it had worked out of the box on PS3!
  • gooner77 3 Apr 2013 20:15:23 743 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    is there any more DLC planned ? I only ask as there is still no GOTY edition yet
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Apr 2013 00:13:51 10,511 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Level 31 now and getting a wee bit bored, just started actually doing some main story quests, I'm just doing "A Cornered Rat" but think I'll rattle through now, not enjoying it quite as much and many other games are waiting.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• frugtkompot 8 Apr 2013 08:47:35 2,819 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    At level 31 you must have put in quite a lot of time too. I'm at level 14 and have put in more than 20 hours already.

I reckon Skyrim is a game that you can easily play on and off in-between other games as you can control the pace it evolves at.
  • ubergine 8 Apr 2013 08:55:40 2,300 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So I wonder if we'll ever get this patch on consoles. Might get me back into it again. So many quests left unquestered.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• SteveHolt 8 Apr 2013 11:46:49 425 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    So I wonder if we'll ever get this patch on consoles. Might get me back into it again. So many quests left unquestered.
    The update is being released today on X360, apparently.
  • ronuds 8 Apr 2013 14:59:35 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What does it fix?
  • Elathron 8 Apr 2013 15:14:30 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ronuds http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-04-new-skyrim-pc-patch-1-9-effectively-removes-the-overall-level-cap

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• ronuds 8 Apr 2013 15:20:22 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks!

Have they fixed/toned down the frequency of dragon attacks in any patches since release? I haven't logged online with the game since the first month or so.
  • StaffyDog 8 Apr 2013 16:03:12 255 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yeah since getting Defiance this has been put on the will play on a rainy day. I'm definitely not giving up on it.
  • Elathron 8 Apr 2013 16:09:58 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ronuds - The frequency of dragon attacks? Umm. Not that I can tell, just avoid places near to a word wall. If a dragon attacks a hold when you're there, get it as far away from NPC's as possible, the town guards will follow and the flying lizard will have a tough time targeting a mob. The only place I lost an NPC to a dragon was in Winterhold, some guy got roasted and his body hasn't moved - for over a year (in-game time, not "real-time" ).

Edited by Elathron at 16:10:54 08-04-2013

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• ronuds 8 Apr 2013 16:43:49 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Elathron - It was a common complaint from what I gathered. Bastards show up every 10 minutes sometimes.

Thought they may have done something about it.
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Apr 2013 16:53:50 10,511 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    frugtkompot wrote:
    At level 31 you must have put in quite a lot of time too. I'm at level 14 and have put in more than 20 hours already.

I reckon Skyrim is a game that you can easily play on and off in-between other games as you can control the pace it evolves at.
    Yes, it might be better to take a break and come back to it.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Madder-Max 8 Apr 2013 17:25:59 11,640 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just started a fourth character. High elf mage. Wanted to go pure destruction with no weapons at all bit can't crack ranged attacks so doing some grinding to afford he spell books.

Its amazing what a difference being a mage character makes and destruction is more powerful than one handed from the off and you have to think ahead more. Each previous character averaged 150 hours each. And they are a mixture of styles but with weapons.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Rens11 8 Apr 2013 19:30:35 1,391 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How do you opt in the beta? When I check in the steam bit all I can opt into are japanopt and another option but both have passwords

Don’t kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he’d eat you and everyone you care about!

• Elathron 9 Apr 2013 13:05:45 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ronuds - Not had many experiences of it personally. I kinda enjoyed it when multiple dragons appeared at once. Invisibility spells on, popcorn out, watch the fireworks (if it wasn't to the detriment of any NPC's that is).
    I will admit that at earlier levels, a dragon appearance at the wrong time was usually followed by (bravely) running away (full unrelenting force to the face then peg it) or an untimely death. Again, from those experiences I learnt to lead dragons to bandit forts to even the odds, those bandits get the message and avoid attacking you til the dragon is dead.

• Elathron 9 Apr 2013 16:57:41 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    1.9 patch is now live on Xbox and PS3 - enjoy Godly stats!!!

• ubergine 15 Apr 2013 17:14:57 2,300 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bethesda are saying that the Skyrim team are now fully moved across to new project, which everyone assumes is Fallout 4.

I rather thought there'd be one more DLC, but maybe Dragonborn was the one big deal.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Pumpatron 15 Apr 2013 18:39:01 374 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've just bought this. Never played an Elder Scrolls game before, though I was always kinda curious about it due to the huge open world, and now that Game of Thrones has starting again I'm in the mood to play something epic/mythical/swords/arrows/that kind of shit.

I'm thinking of going for a stealthy archer character.

Any advice, tips etc? I'm guessing it works in a similar way to fallout 3?
  • Petrarch 15 Apr 2013 19:00:23 3,425 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Archer characters are a lot of fun. Not as powerful as a mage but once they've got a bit of skills under their belt they can dismantle all kinds of mobs without even being seen, so they marry quite well with the stealth approach.

They're a little slow to begin with as the damage isn't great, but as it develops you'll see a lot of one shots happening, though not on powerful enemies of course. If you're planning on getting Dawnguard, that'll be a bonus as that way you can make arrows instead of having to depend totally on merchants and loot.

Edited by Petrarch at 19:02:01 15-04-2013
  • Rodriguez 15 Apr 2013 20:55:09 1,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Pumpatron
    Pumpatron wrote:
    I've just bought this. Never played an Elder Scrolls game before, though I was always kinda curious about it due to the huge open world, and now that Game of Thrones has starting again I'm in the mood to play something epic/mythical/swords/arrows/that kind of shit.

I'm thinking of going for a stealthy archer character.

Any advice, tips etc? I'm guessing it works in a similar way to fallout 3?
    Yo! If you're going for a stealthy archer Pumpatron, the first thing you'll want to do is decide which race you're going to be. For sneaky Assassin/Thief characters, the best two races to pick from in Elder Scrolls games are the catlike Khajit or lizard-like Argonians(the race I went for for my main character). Each has various strengths and weaknesses;

-Khajits have the advantage of being able to see in the dark and, being cats, are also able to use their claws in unarmed combat. Lots of ES players like this race cos they look cool too :p
    -Argonians can rather usefully breath underwater (though you can make potions/enchantments for this for other races, which you can no longer do in ES:V for Khajit night-eye ability) and have a natural 50% resistance to contracting disease, as well as a once a day 'Histskin' power to regenerate health very quickly - it's saved my arse numerous times for my Argonian Assassin character!

For weaponry, I'd personally recommend Daggers as your primary melee weapon to compliment your archery skills. There are some tremendously powerful skills that you can acquire that will give massive damage bonuses to your sneak attacks with daggers and you'll be glad to know that similar style bonuses can be found in the archery skill tree for using bows & crossbows (crossbows only come in the Dawnguard DLC).

If you're not too worried about your moral compass in these types of games and considering the build you're possibly looking at, I thoroughly recommend joining the Dark Brotherhood which has big advantages; they have some brilliant enchanted armours that will compliment a sneaky build, you'll eventually get access to a rather awesome horse, they have some pretty big and interesting missions, a certain lunatic character in the guild is one of the best in the game and you get access to one of the best daggers later on in their quest line. There's quite a few other added bonuses later on too...

If you'd rather not be a murderous psycho, or alternatively if you want to be part of an additional faction to compliment your Dark Brotherhood 'membership' to boost your skills even further, then you could consider joining the Thieves Guild. Like the 'DB' they offer you access to some useful enchanted light armours as well as some very useful trainers, one of whom is a Master-level (can train you up to level-90) Archery trainer. There's some really great special abilities on offer in their quest line too, especially useful for the sneaky builds ;)

In terms of the three core stats (Magic, Health, Stamina), I personally mostly ignored magic (apart from the odd increase here and there to be able to use some basic spells) for my sneaky Assassin and instead focused more on raising both health and stamina. You could however, develop some Magic skills in say, Illusion magic (Frenzy, Fear, Invisibility), which can work well for a sneaky build.

Bearing in mind that to benefit the most from being sneaky you'll be using Light Armour, so won't have the most robust protection for head on encounters [even sneak-thieves can't always hide from combat ;)], then increasing your health is a must. Don't neglect stamina though, as it will cover the length of time you can run and fight in 'normal' combat situations, allows you to do power attacks, dictates and increases your maximum carry weight and covers how long you can hold your breath for some more advanced archery skills!

I usually like to keep my stamina to within around 40-60 points of my health stat. But every build is different and like I mentioned before you may want some decent Illusion or Alteration magic, so don't let me put you off the Magic stat if you fancy some of that to compliment your sneaky abilities.

There's also some additional 'permanent'(till you switch to a different one) bonuses that can be selected in the form of standing stones - the early part of the game will cover this and give you access to 3 but the others are spread all over Skyrim.

Don't forget that like Fallout you haven't got to be tied to the main story - there's loads of missions to get stuck into and a massive world to explore. I'd say at the least stick with the main story till you can start using 'Shouts' and then perhaps head out on your own after that if you feel like it.

There's also the Skyrim Wiki if you want to look something up and I can also thoroughly recommend the excellent official guide that was created for the game (if you can get hold of one) - it's one of the best and most detailed I've ever used!

That should hopefully be enough to get you started, hope some of it helps :D

Good luck!

^My character 'Skink', with some of the tastiest daggers in the game ;)

Edited by Rodriguez at 20:58:38 15-04-2013
  • mrharvest 15 Apr 2013 21:25:54 5,194 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd say if you want to play as a sneaky assassin the orc race is the best choice. They have double damage at will, meaning you'll pull off more one hit kills.

Also the game heavily relies on having a build even though you don't decide that at character creation. Essentially there are three armour skills: heavy, light and alteration (i.e. spell armour). Use one of these three consistently and you'll be fine. In terms of damage output you have pretty much six skills at your disposal. There are two close range skills: one-handed & two-handed, and four ranged skills: archery, destruction, conjuration and illusion. It doesn't matter which one (or two) you pick as long as you use it consistently. Otherwise none of your skills make much of a difference and will go up on their own. You can pick up smithing, alchemy or enchanting for flavour.

So to recap: pick one defensive and one offensive skill and then just adventure away! Basically just have an idea of what you want to do, no matter how ridiculous, and play it consistently. You'll level up those skills and you'll be unstoppable in the end (unless your concept is barter and mysticism). Oh, and if you are ever asked to pick between a god and a person, always pick the god's side. I mean, why wouldn't you?
  • Page

of 495 First / Last