The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Page 472

• Page

of 495 First / Last

• jellyhead 13 Mar 2013 10:52:21 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear I was a stealth archer too. Found an Ebony Bow really early on. Then i found a Staff with Paralysis so i disenchanted it and enchanted the bow. Instead of leaving a dungeon full of corpses, i left dungeons full of amusing statues. Many sat down with arrows through their noggins or on the floor in running poses.

That kept me amused for most of the game.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Vortex808 13 Mar 2013 10:54:25 6,940 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :D

I have paralysis potions, but not encountered a staff, or any enchanted item with that.

Hahaha. I'm looking for one of those now!

Especially now I will be able to double-enchant stuff once I level up soon to get a point to unlock that skill.

Edited by Vortex808 at 10:56:48 13-03-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 10:55:29 10,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @jellyhead

That sounds awesome, any idea where you found that bow?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Vortex808 13 Mar 2013 10:58:49 6,940 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ebony bows are pretty common A_B, level up your smithing and you can get a powerful one quite quickly.

My legendary ebony bows are nearly as powerful as my current dragonbone bow.

Glass armour is great once you find it. strong, yet nice and light to enable more looting.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 11:31:30 10,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Ebony bows are pretty common A_B, level up your smithing and you can get a powerful one quite quickly.

My legendary ebony bows are nearly as powerful as my current dragonbone bow.

Glass armour is great once you find it. strong, yet nice and light to enable more looting.
    Cheers,
    I've neglected my smithing so far, maybe time to change that.
    Bloosy hell, this is tough on my "working from home" day..

• Vortex808 13 Mar 2013 11:38:09 6,940 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, I'm sure you know, but you'll also need to unlock the perks to be able to improve ebony, elven etc beyond what you normally can too. It's well worth it and easy to level up smithing.

I tended to go for hide bracers to begin with, then on to making jewelry and weapons since they gave a larger increase through the skill level for the higher levels.

I also used the transmute spell to convert iron ore to gold which was handy with my mining fetish to get cheap gold ingots and also upped alteration at the same time

Edited by Vortex808 at 11:38:40 13-03-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 11:55:32 10,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Oh, I'm sure you know, but you'll also need to unlock the perks to be able to improve ebony, elven etc beyond what you normally can too. It's well worth it and easy to level up smithing.

I tended to go for hide bracers to begin with, then on to making jewelry and weapons since they gave a larger increase through the skill level for the higher levels.

I also used the transmute spell to convert iron ore to gold which was handy with my mining fetish to get cheap gold ingots and also upped alteration at the same time
    Thanks,
    Yes, I was thinking about perks as well as doing the smithing, will try tonight...

• Jazzy_Geoff 13 Mar 2013 12:52:28 7,767 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Last night I chanced upon a whole cadre of foresworn. Because I came over the top of a mountain, the first chap I ran into seemed to be the big wheel of the group. I made mincemeat of him and SUCCESS! he was holding some sword that was in my quest list. I seem to have avoided a long and arduos battle up the side of the mountain by approaching from this direction.
  • frugtkompot 13 Mar 2013 21:21:59 2,819 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have seriously just wasted two hours of my life dying, dying and dying some more.

Is this game intended to be brutally difficult or am I doing it wrong? I feel so underpowered.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 21:25:45 10,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:

Any recommendations on spells to buy?

• Jazzy_Geoff 13 Mar 2013 21:30:29 7,767 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    frugtkompot wrote:
    I have seriously just wasted two hours of my life dying, dying and dying some more.

Is this game intended to be brutally difficult or am I doing it wrong? I feel so underpowered.
    I've found it pretty easy really on the default difficulty, with a few spikes along the way. What bit are you having trouble with?
  • frugtkompot 13 Mar 2013 21:43:52 2,819 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The second part of the mages guild. There are black mages everywhere and they more or less take me down before I have even the slightest chance to fight back.

I have left it now to pursue other things.
  • Vortex808 13 Mar 2013 21:57:35 6,940 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Any recommendations on spells to buy?
    I'm sure plenty of folk will be better placed than me on that front.

I have very few points invested in magic so far. I ended up on sneak, smithing, enchanting. The rest are for pickpocket (to get 100extra carry weight) and for upping light armour, one handed & bow damage.

I tend to rely on destruction to maybe adept level spells. The rest are levelled through use mostly.

Regularly used spells for me are transmute (for earning cash potential), fast healing, candlelight for finding chests and loot in the dark, flames, fireballs, lightning etc for combat.

There is a nice staff from a daedric quest I use instead of conjuration, but a follower usually helps about as much.

I have found some handy shouts too so use them more in fights. My Breton has a magic resistant power which is rather useful so you may want a spell for that.
  • Vortex808 13 Mar 2013 22:03:43 6,940 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    frugtkompot wrote:
    The second part of the mages guild. There are black mages everywhere and they more or less take me down before I have even the slightest chance to fight back.

I have left it now to pursue other things.
    Probably a wise plan. It often helps to leave it a bit in cases like that. If you up sneak and archery that will help. More damage in your preferred weapons might help too. Unless your more mage-focussed.

Mages and master vampires used to destroy my sneaky weak dude.

Now I can kill them from afar before they know I'm there. Or deal nice one handed damage with enchanted gear. Always save lots too. Get some bow hits, hide repeat. Unless they keep healing.

I use less potions now, but i used to have to chug loads of healing potions in some dungeons/quests.
  • ronuds 13 Mar 2013 22:06:38 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, summon monsters to keep the mages busy for a minute while you take them down from a safe place.
  • frugtkompot 13 Mar 2013 22:08:44 2,819 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, I'm working on improving my mage skills, so these other mages are quite difficult. They sort of balance my strong sides out.
  • ecureuil 13 Mar 2013 22:25:54 76,488 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That tropical island mod looks amazing. I'm almost tempted to redownload the game just to try it out.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 23:13:44 10,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So I made a shitload of Iron daggers to get my smithing up to 21 but there's a long way to go before anything interesting.
    Any tips?

• Scimarad 13 Mar 2013 23:20:42 8,530 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd suggest smithing jewellery instead of daggers. I think your skill rises quicker the more valuable the item you create. So basically get some gold/silver and some flawless gems.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 23:21:44 10,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    I'd suggest smithing jewellery instead of daggers. I think your skill rises quicker the more valuable the item you create. So basically get some gold/silver and some flawless gems.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try that tomorrow.

• oldschoolsoviet 13 Mar 2013 23:23:02 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Leather boots and lots of Smithing fortifying gear, clothes, ring, gloves etc. Seems to give a bigger increase than daggers at early stages. Obviously making more advanced stuff will give greater boosts, but who can be arsed faffing about with 4/5 different materials ?

Have a good supply of crap but full crystals too, so you can enchant those boots with whatever, and reclaim a decent amount of money upon selling them/increase Enchanting too.
  • Scimarad 13 Mar 2013 23:27:28 8,530 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a mine near Markarth called something like Kolskeggr that has tons gold ore veins. I think it's full of Forsworn when you first go in, though.
  • mrharvest 14 Mar 2013 04:42:27 5,184 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The transmute spell is pretty nice for anyone who wants to level up their smithing.
  • Scimarad 14 Mar 2013 07:37:21 8,530 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, it's even nicer when you remember you've got it before wandering all over Skyrim looking for ingots!
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2013 07:51:08 10,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mrharvest wrote:
    The transmute spell is pretty nice for anyone who wants to level up their smithing.
    Who wil sell it to me?

• pauleyc 14 Mar 2013 08:33:58 4,444 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mrharvest wrote:
    Who wil sell it to me?
    IIRC the spelltome can be found in a bandit camp with a mine north-west of Whiterun (Halted Stream?). Look for a stockade with the remains of a Mammoth.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2013 08:36:23 10,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    pauleyc wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mrharvest wrote:
    Who wil sell it to me?
    IIRC the spelltome can be found in a bandit camp with a mine north-west of Whiterun (Halted Stream?). Look for a stockade with the remains of a Mammoth.
    Thanks a lot mate, time to kick some Bandit Arse!

• quadfather 14 Mar 2013 08:40:26 11,815 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @frugtkompot - if mages are doing your head in, get your sneak, aechey and conjuration up a bit and slowly go through the dungeon in sneak mode. Fire an arrow or two off to get some decent sneak damage, summ something to cause a distraction and then either whack fuck out of them one handed. Or keep retreating firing your bow

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 14 Mar 2013 08:41:23 11,815 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Grammar = phone

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Shikasama 14 Mar 2013 08:47:24 6,603 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Remember that you can use arrows as distraction tools as well. Sometimes it's best to fire at an opposite wall to get them to move in order to have a better shot.

Or if you're feeling especially jammy, get them to move, sneak in to their reset position and mine the fuck out of it. Guaranteed hilarity.

Also (although this may be a bit redundant for you depending on where you are in the game), my sneak thief had astounding success with the Illusion spells, especially the ones that cause NPCs to attack each other or fear/calm them.
  • Page

of 495 First / Last