The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Page 471

• Page

of 493 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 4 Mar 2013 23:08:42 8,791 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    I really like Skyrim Monster Mod and Skytest. Both of these add a lot of variety to the creatures you meet. Also, Immersive armours and Immersive weapons are both good mods.

And don't forget the unofficial patches.
    Unofficial patches?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Scimarad 4 Mar 2013 23:14:10 8,501 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, this.

There are separate patches for each of the DLC. I honestly don't know what they fix because I haven't read the changelog. Everybody seems to recommend using them, though.
  • frugtkompot 8 Mar 2013 08:36:08 2,818 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ahem, so well ... I was never much of a RPG'er, but I've put 5 hours into this now and seem to finally have found one that I don't feel is too overwhelming or too odd for me to continue.

However, I'm really quite curious whether there is a "right" way to approach the game or whether I should just do whatever i feel like? I've done a few quests now - one was the main quest line, but other than that I've tried to level up by doing other things. I just finished a couple up in Winterhold, where I've also become embroiled in some mage-stuff, which I quite like. It was always my intention to use magic predominantly, but stumbling upon the College of Winterhold was pure luck.

However, I can't really figure out what to do next. Should I just continue with the main quest - or when will I know whether I'm strong enough to do so? Are there any repercussions for choosing certain quest elements? I signed up for some Stormcloak revolution, but I'm not really sure whether that'll have a negative impact on how I'm perceived in the world.

Hope you can all help a little. It's a complex game :)
  • ModishNouns 8 Mar 2013 08:42:31 4,633 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yes, do what you want, when you want. Just explore and see where it takes you. Stumbling on things is the best way to play a Bethesda RPG and they're a lot better approached that way (when they've been patched a few times).

There are consequences for certain choices but nothing that blocks content from you in any meaningful way, you just have to experience things from a different perspective.
  • Scimarad 8 Mar 2013 08:51:59 8,501 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd be inclined to treat the Mage stuff in Winterhold as your main quest but don't rush it as it's over pretty quickly. What I generally do is look where my main objective is and pick and complete quests along the way, eventually making my way back to hand it in. Also, remember you can get quests from loads of people at the college as well as the main quest, plus there are 3 other students there who you can help out and have join you as companions (including the awesome J'zargo!)

Unfortunately there isn't really any particular effect from doing stuff like civil war quest, aside from certain people on the other side won't like you very much. It's probably the worst element of the game that so little changes from doing these big quests.

I think Skyrim is very much a 'make your own entertainment' game and that isn't really to everyone's taste. Personally I'd take that over the well constructed story of Witcher 2 any day, but that's just me.
  • StaffyDog 8 Mar 2013 09:18:20 253 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm doing so many side quests at the mo that I'm worried that the person on the main quest waiting to meet me will disappear.
  • quadfather 8 Mar 2013 09:27:47 10,587 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    (including the awesome J'zargo!)
    How awesome is this chap/chapess? I've managed to lose my follower as per normal, and was wondering about the different types.

What makes this one awesome, out of interest?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• frugtkompot 8 Mar 2013 09:30:48 2,818 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    I'd be inclined to treat the Mage stuff in Winterhold as your main quest but don't rush it as it's over pretty quickly. What I generally do is look where my main objective is and pick and complete quests along the way, eventually making my way back to hand it in. Also, remember you can get quests from loads of people at the college as well as the main quest, plus there are 3 other students there who you can help out and have join you as companions (including the awesome J'zargo!)

Unfortunately there isn't really any particular effect from doing stuff like civil war quest, aside from certain people on the other side won't like you very much. It's probably the worst element of the game that so little changes from doing these big quests.

I think Skyrim is very much a 'make your own entertainment' game and that isn't really to everyone's taste. Personally I'd take that over the well constructed story of Witcher 2 any day, but that's just me.
    Thanks for your reply. I'm probably rushing it, as I want some new powers! And I quite like that there's some story, myth and lore integrated into all this talk of magic.

I did have myself a talk with J'Zargo, but he only congratulated me on being as ambitious as himself. How do I "recruit him" or take him somewhere with me?

Also - I always read about joining guilds etc. Is there one for a mage in Winterhold to join?

The "make your own entertainment" have probably been what put me off Bethesda in the past. I tried FallOut, but absolutely hated it (and kept getting killed). This doesn't seem as brutal so far, which makes it more fun to visit different places.
  • quadfather 8 Mar 2013 09:38:55 10,587 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @frugtkompot - as with most Bethesda games, you need to play it for a bit to get your bearings. You'll get your arse kicked if you wander into certain places at the start, but once you get fairly decent equipment and can hold your own (against most things), it'll 'click' and you can wander at your leisure. Half the fun of the game is wandering and finding random things - some of the time it's a standard cave with bog standard things happening, but other times, you'll kick off certain quests / unique item hunts etc.

I think you start the mages quest by taking the tour with the woman at winterhold (it'll pop up as a quest), and then you need to listen to Tolfir inside the university. Once that's done, I think he'll go on about an excavation that he'd like you attend to. Once you go there and do that, you're on your way through the mages questline and just follow it as you amble along

I think there's some side quests with J'Zargo and his mates - have a bash at them and finish them to see if that triggers the follower part of things

• Vortex808 8 Mar 2013 09:41:22 6,576 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @frugtkompot Don't stick to the main quest! I've done about 3 in 50-60 hours of play.

For me this is all about exploration, sneakily kicking draugr arse and looting the shit out of everywhere. Also some mining, lots of smithing & enchanting :)

Daedric quests are quite fun, and I have joined most of the guilds so far, but not done much to progress any of them too much yet, except for the bards college stuff. +1 to various skills, plus loot acquired along the way made them well worth it.

Just enjoy the game and do what you want to to do. I am at level 51 now and still have loads to do, I might start to focus more on the main quests and guild stuff now, but keep getting distracted by other stuff. That's half the fun.

Edited by Vortex808 at 09:41:43 08-03-2013
  • frugtkompot 8 Mar 2013 09:49:28 2,818 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @frugtkompot - as with most Bethesda games, you need to play it for a bit to get your bearings. You'll get your arse kicked if you wander into certain places at the start, but once you get fairly decent equipment and can hold your own (against most things), it'll 'click' and you can wander at your leisure. Half the fun of the game is wandering and finding random things - some of the time it's a standard cave with bog standard things happening, but other times, you'll kick off certain quests / unique item hunts etc.

I think you start the mages quest by taking the tour with the woman at winterhold (it'll pop up as a quest), and then you need to listen to Tolfir inside the university. Once that's done, I think he'll go on about an excavation that he'd like you attend to. Once you go there and do that, you're on your way through the mages questline and just follow it as you amble along

I think there's some side quests with J'Zargo and his mates - have a bash at them and finish them to see if that triggers the follower part of things
    Cheers. I already had my tour and did the Excavation with Tolfir. The arch-mage have sent me to retrieve some stolen books now. That's where I'm at now. The last save finds me on horseback somewhere in the wilderness as I can't fast travel to the location where I need to go (haven't been there before).

Thanks for all the advice. I'll lurk some more about Winterhold and see how much else I can trigger in this regard. Just need to build my powers a little, as I'm still quite weak. I need to walk around with a shield all the time as I don't really have any defensive magic to perform.

I already tried the second quest line, which involved a dragon, but was killed immediately.
  • Blaketown 8 Mar 2013 09:51:46 4,630 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loving this. Just bought my first house, and leveled up to 10.

Yet to do any magic though. Concentrated on getting good at smashing people in the head with hammers, shooting people in the head from a distance and sneaking around in the shadows.

The breadth of things to do is astonishing (and somewhat daunting). I'll be honest I wasn't expecting to do quite so much flower picking and chasing around of butterflies.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Vortex808 8 Mar 2013 09:54:34 6,576 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    frugtkompot Killing that dragon and visiting the people you are directed to after is worth doing reasonably soon by the way. It is quite difficult at the start, so it might be an idea to level up more first.

You can try to hide in the tower if you struggle and let others help out.

Edited by Vortex808 at 09:54:59 08-03-2013
  • Blaketown 8 Mar 2013 09:59:11 4,630 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, definitely kill the dragon and then do the next bit (Climb the mountain to see the Greybeards). It teaches you a key mechanic of the game that you will use while out wandering.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• quadfather 8 Mar 2013 10:01:07 10,587 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, it's worth persevering with the dragons, just to get the decent shouts (which can provide hilarious results in certain fight scenarios)

Also, it's also worth causing a benny hill type train in a town by pissing people off / killing randoms, just for a laugh to see if you can get the whole town after you. You often cause some in-fighting doing this, which is an extra brucie bonus. Just save your game beforehand :)

Edited by quadfather at 10:01:31 08-03-2013

• frugtkompot 8 Mar 2013 10:07:03 2,818 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    frugtkompot Killing that dragon and visiting the people you are directed to after is worth doing reasonably soon by the way. It is quite difficult at the start, so it might be an idea to level up more first.

You can try to hide in the tower if you struggle and let others help out.
    I'm level 5 right now, but was only level 2-3 when I tried. However, I wasn't quite sure how to do it. I couldn't get close to it, so only options I had were with fire (didn't do any damage) or bow and arrow (did damage, but not quickly enough).
  • Blaketown 8 Mar 2013 10:15:50 4,630 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had an Axe that did Ice Spell damage and that fucked him up sharpish.

I think taking your time with a Bow is the way to go (and Ice spells if you got them). And doing a lot of hiding in the tower.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Vortex808 8 Mar 2013 10:16:52 6,576 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There should be a lot of other people with you from whiterun if you meet at the rendezvous point though, they will help.

I may have been lev 7ish though, as I mucked about exploring around the first town for a while. I used flames, a bow and axe when I could dart in close. I also used quite a lot of health potions and may have had a healing spell too for when I was cowering in the tower ruins. :)

My adventuring style has changed since I have levelled up more!
  • frugtkompot 8 Mar 2013 10:22:38 2,818 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, I wasn't alone - but I still felt very underpowered :) Unfortunately, I don't have any ice spells yet, but I do have a stronger bow now, so maybe I'll look at using that a little more often.

I also have a little more health now and more magicka to heal myself. You can't kill a dragon with fire, can you? That wouldn't be rational.
  • Blaketown 8 Mar 2013 10:23:31 4,630 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was definitely level 4 or 5 so you should be able to do it as you are.

Stock up on health potions and get stuck in.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Armoured_Bear 8 Mar 2013 10:57:07 8,791 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm level 5 or so and just killed the first dragon.
    I'm a Khajiit so want to do lots of stealthy killing but be strong at magic too. I picked up thr stone which levels up magic quicker and I've been using fire and health as much as possible. I also just bought quite a few new spells, lightning and others.

Any suggestions on how to continue?
    I'd like to be quite powerful magic-wise and use that in conjunction with my stealthy skills and be a decent archer.

• Vortex808 8 Mar 2013 11:44:04 6,576 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stealth is easy to level up A_B, certainly no trainers required for that. Although I crouch almost everywhere anyway. /shifty look

It was my first maxed out skill tree. Although I haven't taken the 100 level perk as it seems a bit of a waste/might make it too easy.

My archery is only in the 70's or 80's at lev 51, but mostly because once I get found I tend to wade in with my soul trapping sword, or legendary axe of flames. One-handed is also at 70 odd, so this must happen quite a bit more than I intend. Must sneak more carefully, but that gets dull sometimes when they can walk right by you in the shadows. It's quite tense when a draugr deathlord is looking right at you, but can't find you. :)

I love touring with Mjoll the lioness just now. Who is dual wielding staffs at the moment, until it all gets up close & personal. I just wish the adventuring stories would be told when I was around, rather than when I have asked them to wait while I sneakily clear the next area. I return to hear the end of a story so often.
  • Scimarad 8 Mar 2013 12:58:49 8,501 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The thing to remember about the main quest is that it isn't really the main quest at all. Though I did loads of other stuff as I was travelling around sorting out the dragon problem it seems like I finished it off pretty early on. I've done TONS of stuff since then (including Dawnguard and the Civil War) so it feels like the Alduin thing was more my introduction than anything and I've had this whole adventuring career since then. I've not even touched the thieves guild, dark brotherhood or college missions with this character.
  • redcrayon 8 Mar 2013 20:07:56 4,538 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've just finished Dragonborn- all told I got an extra 25 hours out of it, I love the new island, armour sets, materials and enemies.

There's some really inventive stuff there, and my favourite new companion- I now have a Dwarven sphere in my 'dog' slot!

All in all well worth the price- although it took me five trips to carry all my gear back from my house in Solstheim to my home in Skyrim!
  • mrharvest 8 Mar 2013 21:09:26 5,158 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bought Dragonborn for PS3. I was a bit surprised to see it doesn't show up in my downloadable content. At that point I realise I have the wrong product code of Skyrim and it won't work with it. D:
  • Bananazniper 8 Mar 2013 21:44:33 446 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've put in 70 hours so far in the last couple of weeks. And I've hardly started any guild quests apart from a few Thieves guild ones. I haven't even joined the Brotherhood yet, and haven't touched the civil war. And I've only done the main quest up to the point you max out the very first shout. I have started a quest where I read a book and had to explore some ancient Dwemer ruins with a ghost. Awesome game.
  • Scimarad 13 Mar 2013 09:48:26 8,501 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've seen some mods that change the look of the game but nothing this this before!
  • Scimarad 13 Mar 2013 09:48:36 8,501 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 10:09:19 8,791 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    I've started this over the last couple of weeks after avoiding it for ages, knowing full well it'd be like digital crack. I am very addicted just now and have been playing nothing else on the weekend evenings and have.

Stealthy archer is certainly lots of fun Armoured_Bear. I opted for a Breton to get a decent balance for stealth and some spell casting.

I think I may delay playing every Skyrim/Fallout game for a year or so now. I felt Fallout New Vegas was great, but really buggy and annoying on release. If Skyrim was like that too, it's been pretty well patched by now.

No quests borked so far by my need to randomly wander and do stuff so far.....and those that might have been an issue have always had a 'I've already done that' option. Which has been very handy, although that might have been in from the start.
    Thanks to all with their tips.
    I'm utterly loving this, it's grabbed me just as Fallout 3 and New Vegas did.
    I'm Level 10 and my Stealthy Cat due has been levelling up Sneak, Archery, Magic and Light Armour quite nicely.
    My plan is to be able to sneak up on anyone and cause devastating chaos with archery and magic as well as enchanted daggers.

• magicpanda 13 Mar 2013 10:15:41 13,012 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Holy crap that's a lot of (awesome) work.
  • Page

of 493 First / Last