The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Page 468

• Page

of 495 First / Last

• FWB 9 Feb 2013 23:45:57 43,792 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The worst I felt about losing an NPC was in Fable 2 when my family was killed. I think it was namely down to the fact that I had chosen my wife and I had decided to have kids. Was gutted. Nicely played, Peter.

Lost them twice in fact. Second wife was killed when my castle was invaded and had the kids taken away from me.
  • Armoured_Bear 9 Feb 2013 23:47:08 10,232 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    I've started this over the last couple of weeks after avoiding it for ages, knowing full well it'd be like digital crack. I am very addicted just now and have been playing nothing else on the weekend evenings and have.

Stealthy archer is certainly lots of fun Armoured_Bear. I opted for a Breton to get a decent balance for stealth and some spell casting.

I think I may delay playing every Skyrim/Fallout game for a year or so now. I felt Fallout New Vegas was great, but really buggy and annoying on release. If Skyrim was like that too, it's been pretty well patched by now.

No quests borked so far by my need to randomly wander and do stuff so far.....and those that might have been an issue have always had a 'I've already done that' option. Which has been very handy, although that might have been in from the start.
    Thanks for the tips mate.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 9 Feb 2013 23:47:49 10,232 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It depends what your problem with Oblivion was. If you were bothered by the leveling system and scaled enemies (I wasn't that fussed, but apparently it was an issue for many), then the one in Skyrim is better.

If, like me, you found the scenery and wildlife in Oblivion a bit dull, then Skyrim's is a lot better. There's mountains and such, and lots more animals around. The archery is fantastic, so going hunting is actually quite a bit of fun. And there are more varieties of dungeon, even though they still get fairly samey after a while.

The NPCs, while improved, are still pretty lifeless. They seem to have more than two voice actors now, but the voice acting overall is pretty crap. And most of the quests are still pretty cookie-cutter.

All of those things have been done better by, say, the Witcher games. But those aren't open like Skyrim. Maybe having such uneven quality is the price that needs to be paid for having so much content and such a big world.

Anyway, I did like many parts of Skyrim. But whether you'll like it more than Oblivion depends on why you didn't like Oblivion.

EDIT: Also, there were some puzzling design decisions taken with Skyrim. Many parts of the interface, for example, are utter shit, and make things far more confusing and obtuse than they need to be. This is not such a problem on PC - "mods will fix it", etc. - but you're stuck with it on consoles. (unless they addressed it with a patch. I dunno, haven't played it in months)
    Both of those were my issues so hopefully I'll also love Skyim.
    Cheers.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• oldschoolsoviet 13 Feb 2013 12:27:34 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oooooo. Almost got excited there, with Dragonborn listed as free on the PSN update !

Resorted to 6.49 at the checkout though. Boo ! That would've been more karmic. Anyhoo, 2.08 patch at 100-odd MB and the DLC at 904MB. That's my long weekend sorted.

/hopes to avoid "issues"
  • SparkyMarky81 13 Feb 2013 15:07:14 562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As someone who hasn't gone back to this game in almost 6 months but was fully addicted, is the Dragonborn DLC worth getting?

It sounds pretty good but if it's going to be more identical dungeons then I'm not interested. Especially if theres another Draugher (sp?) waiting at the end of it.
  • DrStrangelove 13 Feb 2013 20:37:24 3,365 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @SparkyMarky81

Difficult one. There's a new island with some 30+ locations, the overworld looks pretty much like other areas from Skyrim, caves are mostly familiar ice caves, etc. A few new enemies, some nice new armour/weapons sets, and Dunmer locations (one town with Dunmer houses and one village with giant mushrooms). You see lots of screenshots of Dunmer giant mushroom houses, but actually there's only one location that has those. The rest of the island is pretty much Skyrim.

What actually sets it apart is the world of Hermaeus Mora, the Daedric prince of knowledge. You'll be at several stages of that otherworldly realm, which looks pretty nice, but like everything in Skyrim, is pretty repetitive. And the final boss (I think this is hardly a spoiler) is no Draugr, but an ancient Dragonborn.

If it's actually EUR 8 on console, get it. It wasn't worth the EUR 20 I paid on Steam. Can't believe there can be this difference though, that is if Steam isn't the biggest ripoff ever.

Actually, I don't see why this got a better score than Dawnguard. I found Dawnguard at least equal in quality and value.

7/10. Just my opinion.
  • SparkyMarky81 13 Feb 2013 20:39:56 562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Thanks! You pretty much covered everything that I wasn't sure about.
  • anyjungleinguy 14 Feb 2013 01:25:01 20 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hi guys, sorry if this question has already been asked.

I had to sell my gaming PC some weeks back and I'm looking at getting back into Skyrim, but only the PS3 version is available to me.

After hearing about all the PS3 centric issues, I'm hesitating about it. The DF article showed the first patch they released didn't really fix anything. This EG article
    eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-16-bethesda-knew-skyrim-had-a-bad-memory-situation-on-ps3 shows 2.03 to be running ok.

Has 2.08 improved it further? Will the DLC just bring back more issues?
  • Kanjin 14 Feb 2013 01:45:19 1,051 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As I understand it... the PS3 version works alright now. but I'd wait for someone who actually has it to confirm rather than just taking my word for it.

Think the Dragonborn DLC is coming out for PS3 next week too.
  • oldschoolsoviet 14 Feb 2013 01:52:29 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll let you know after the weekend, but an hour's play on 2.08 today was uneventful. It's been stable and running fine since the previous update (2.07) some time ago, so here's hoping nothing new crops up.

No reported issues bar some updates conflicting with older versions, sorted by deleting the update and redownloading. Nowhere near the original shambles it was, or thon water glitch created in the 2.06 patch. Cheap PS3 copy plus discounted DLC seems a decent deal to me.

@Kanjin

It's out. House building malarkey next week, Dawnguard after that.

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 01:55:17 14-02-2013
  • santashi 14 Feb 2013 07:45:00 5,036 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not got the DLC yet but in my 100 hours+ playthrough on the PS3 the worst thing that has happened was one instance of major slowdown during a battle in a city. It didn't get me killed or anything but everyone moved like treacle for a few minutes. Had a quest item glitch but that was fixed by a patch.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Vortex808 14 Feb 2013 10:37:54 6,933 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have had to take tomorrow off work to await a delivery.

I hereby pledge that tomorrow will be 'skyrim day'.

:)
  • quadfather 14 Feb 2013 10:54:14 11,808 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've decided to stick with my new stealthy/archery character, as I'm still enjoying it.

I've also read that illusion magic complements this build quite well - what with the fury type spells to cause in-fighting (hilarious) and muffle to assist with more sneaky backstabbing.

I've only just got the fury spell, and it's very funny when it finally sticks to a mob, but has anyone else progressed further with illusion magic on a stealthy character? Is it worth dumping a lot of points in do you think, or maybe it's just a sort of token add on?

Curious as to how powerful you could become if you maxed it?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• magicpanda 14 Feb 2013 11:06:35 13,248 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @quadfather Everything good in the Illusion School can be enchanted onto items (muffle) or made with Alchemy (Invis, Frenzy Poisons)

Conjuration works a lot better imo. Raising Zombies, Summoning Dremora etc.

Edited by magicpanda at 11:06:55 14-02-2013
  • quadfather 14 Feb 2013 11:09:44 11,808 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @magicpanda - good point - I'd not thought about enchanting items. That'd be good for muffle.

I suppose I also need to do something with the 50 billion types of ingredients I have stashed at my house too :)

Conjuration sounds interesting - I normally use that a lot on squishy mages.

But I was thinking of the quietly quietly approach, not being detected, so I could try and do some backstabbing. There seem to be a lot of assassin type extra damage bonuses from the sneak tree

• Mola_Ram 14 Feb 2013 11:11:14 6,931 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I loved raising zombies. Wish I could have raised more of them. :(
  • magicpanda 14 Feb 2013 11:24:45 13,248 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh the Sneak tree is awesome along with all the rewards and spells for the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood lines.

Think I've maxed out Sneak, One handed, Blacksmithing and Archery.

Kill most things stone dead with one sneaky arrow and everything dies if I get close with a sword or Dagger.

I had to turn the difficulty right up to get any kind of challenge out of it.

I've changed my approach more recently and going at everything full pelt with a 2 handed Dai Katana, a follower armed with 2 staves and a Raised Zombie which is fun and a much bigger challenge.

Fights generally look like this.

Edited by magicpanda at 11:28:32 14-02-2013
  • Vortex808 14 Feb 2013 11:40:01 6,933 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've put most of my magic into destruction so far, but should maybe go a bit more with conjuration or illusion since I have been using that a bit more.

I definitely need to up enchanting more as it's becoming far more required and would be very useful at higher effects on armour and weapons. Smithing also needs a boost to make some sweeter armour with all my dragon bones and scales.

My sneak is pretty high along with one-handed, but I need to up pickpocket for the extra carrying weight perk first.I am a total loot whore.

I am annoyed with myself that I wasted a lot of early levels where I didn't the full amount of training I could, or any training at all sometimes. I only started doing that more regularly around the level 15-20 mark.
  • quadfather 14 Feb 2013 11:49:04 11,808 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I find I've never got enough cash in the early (1-10) levels for training. I always have to do it around level 10 onwards

• Vortex808 14 Feb 2013 13:46:49 6,933 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    True. I still end up a bit short after selling all my good loot and buying training at level 31.

This was not helped by the fact I bought a house and have bought 3x alchemy labs for it thinking I had forgotten to do so before realising it's non-appearance was actually due to a glitch with having the dawnguard dlc installed before buying the house. /o\

My restoration skill has taken a raise recently too. My sneak may be high, but man I can get hurt quite easily if I get found, especaily as the enemies level increases. Fast healing and magicka potions get me out of trouble quite often just now.
  • anyjungleinguy 14 Feb 2013 14:08:42 20 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks for the quick replies guys, I look forward to hearing how it plays this weekend oldschoolsoviet.

Think I might just take the plunge, it can be picked up pretty cheaply these days...can't see myself managing to hold out for the GotY edition.
  • magicpanda 14 Feb 2013 14:19:54 13,248 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you are playing this on a beefy PC get the ENB mod. Makes the entire game look fooking outstanding.

Been messing about with it and a few other mods.

Album http://imgur.com/a/51N6i

Edited by magicpanda at 14:20:11 14-02-2013

Edited by magicpanda at 14:21:19 14-02-2013
  • Scimarad 14 Feb 2013 14:28:02 8,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I've got so used to it with ENB that I can imagine playing it without. Can't remember where I got my settings from so I've made dead sure I've got a backup.
  • quadfather 14 Feb 2013 14:36:44 11,808 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    might have to give that a go. Can you still use that + nexus mod manager to combine the two apps?

• magicpanda 14 Feb 2013 14:39:40 13,248 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Best not to use Nexus to install it. It's a bit of minor ballache to get running with the right settings.

Give me a PM if you want a step by step. I only did first time it this morning so it's fresh in my head.

Edited by magicpanda at 14:48:03 14-02-2013
  • Scimarad 14 Feb 2013 14:44:02 8,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have taken to chucking the ENB files into random game folders to see if anything happens! Usually, no...
  • quadfather 14 Feb 2013 14:46:22 11,808 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Magicpanda - Fair enough, cheers. I've only got some high res textures in there, so probably won't need them with enb anyway

• magicpanda 14 Feb 2013 14:50:14 13,248 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can still use Nexus Mod Manager and ENB at the same time.

ENB is literally about 5 files copied into the main Skyrim folder and a few .ini tweaks. No overwriting anything as well which is nice.
  • quadfather 14 Feb 2013 15:23:23 11,808 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That sounds fairly easy then. Happy to fiddle with stuff to get it right. What's this step by step guide you're on about though? :)

• magicpanda 14 Feb 2013 15:44:08 13,248 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1. Go here click the little down arrow icon to download the zip.

2. Go here Download that and read the readme in the zip file which will explain everything.

3. In the Skyrim Launcher go to options and turn off Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering. ENB will handle that.

4. Run Skyrim

Edited by magicpanda at 15:44:15 14-02-2013
  • Page

of 495 First / Last