• Page

of 495 First / Last

• quadfather 28 Jan 2013 13:33:13 13,379 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kickerconspiracy wrote:
    Try this mod:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/769
    Brilliant! That might be just the ticket - thanks!

@TeamHAM - I'll do that alchemy method too

Cheers chaps

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• magicpanda 6 Feb 2013 17:15:26 13,480 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dragonborn is out on PC. New High res texture packs just downloaded for me as well.
  • quadfather 6 Feb 2013 17:17:06 13,379 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is it only available on steam, and is it £14?

• magicpanda 6 Feb 2013 17:24:13 13,480 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah £14 not sure where else you can buy it.
  • rtk79 6 Feb 2013 21:13:22 496 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @quadfather It's £11.19 on GreenManGaming now.
  • quadfather 6 Feb 2013 21:16:31 13,379 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nice one

• Armoured_Bear 6 Feb 2013 21:39:45 11,895 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm about to start this and unsure which race to choose.
    I hated Oblivion but adored Fallout 3 and Fallout:NV using VATS a lot.
    What would you recommend?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Blaizefm 6 Feb 2013 21:48:12 232 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is there anything fun to buy? I seem to have accumulated 16 grand but can't find anything exciting to spend it on.
  • King_Edward 6 Feb 2013 21:49:33 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheese wheels.
  • teamHAM 6 Feb 2013 21:51:35 3,151 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blaizefm wrote:
    Is there anything fun to buy? I seem to have accumulated 16 grand but can't find anything exciting to spend it on.
    Houses, or the components for a house if you have Hearthfire. You can easily spend tonnes of money there.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• teamHAM 6 Feb 2013 21:53:24 3,151 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    It depends what you want from the game really, and what sort of class you want to play.

If you are going for a tanky brute type, Nord is a good choice. For a spellcaster High Elf is good (I think it's High Elf, the one from Summerset Isle). Khajiit is good for stealthy types. That's the main three I think. The others are mainly good for bits and bobs rather than being stand out.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• magicpanda 6 Feb 2013 22:04:29 13,480 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you hated Oblivion you will likely hate this.

A sneaky archer would be best for you i reckon. A Sword, shield and resto  magic for when things go tits up.

Don't forget to assign weapons to favourites then press Q in game to bring up the quick swap menu. From there you can press 1,2,3 etc to bind weapons to keys.

That way combat flows so much better and you don't spend forever in menu screens.
  • kickerconspiracy 6 Feb 2013 22:13:00 494 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Also, start the game on either Expert or Master difficulty as it's a tad easy.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Feb 2013 22:44:23 11,895 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    It depends what you want from the game really, and what sort of class you want to play.

If you are going for a tanky brute type, Nord is a good choice. For a spellcaster High Elf is good (I think it's High Elf, the one from Summerset Isle). Khajiit is good for stealthy types. That's the main three I think. The others are mainly good for bits and bobs rather than being stand out.
    Tanky brute doesn't appeal, stealth, ranged attacks and magic do.

• Armoured_Bear 6 Feb 2013 22:45:31 11,895 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:

A sneaky archer would be best for you i reckon. A Sword, shield and resto  magic for when things go tits up.

Don't forget to assign weapons to favourites then press Q in game to bring up the quick swap menu. From there you can press 1,2,3 etc to bind weapons to keys.

That way combat flows so much better and you don't spend forever in menu screens.
    I hope that the Fallout style levelling system will annoy me much less.
    I was planning on using a 360 controller as I'm a sofa and big telly PC Gamer, bad idea?

• ecu 6 Feb 2013 22:51:07 77,315 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Skyrim is a lot better than Oblivion. It's still so clunky in many ways, but the world is fantastic and it looks great.

As for controller support, I seem to recall having a few problems with it, though I can't quite remember what.
  • magicpanda 7 Feb 2013 07:46:01 13,480 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Never tried the controller to be honest. Sounds like it would make archery a bit of a pain in the arse.

Oh, there are a special line of mods just for you as well.. ;)

• askew 7 Feb 2013 08:50:55 12,719 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha D:
  • Deleted user 7 February 2013 09:22:40
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    magicpanda wrote:

I hope that the Fallout style levelling system will annoy me much less.
    I was planning on using a 360 controller as I'm a sofa and big telly PC Gamer, bad idea?
    I hated oblivion and fallout 3 yet I loved skyrim.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Feb 2013 09:43:14 8,275 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It depends what your problem with Oblivion was. If you were bothered by the leveling system and scaled enemies (I wasn't that fussed, but apparently it was an issue for many), then the one in Skyrim is better.

If, like me, you found the scenery and wildlife in Oblivion a bit dull, then Skyrim's is a lot better. There's mountains and such, and lots more animals around. The archery is fantastic, so going hunting is actually quite a bit of fun. And there are more varieties of dungeon, even though they still get fairly samey after a while.

The NPCs, while improved, are still pretty lifeless. They seem to have more than two voice actors now, but the voice acting overall is pretty crap. And most of the quests are still pretty cookie-cutter.

All of those things have been done better by, say, the Witcher games. But those aren't open like Skyrim. Maybe having such uneven quality is the price that needs to be paid for having so much content and such a big world.

Anyway, I did like many parts of Skyrim. But whether you'll like it more than Oblivion depends on why you didn't like Oblivion.

EDIT: Also, there were some puzzling design decisions taken with Skyrim. Many parts of the interface, for example, are utter shit, and make things far more confusing and obtuse than they need to be. This is not such a problem on PC - "mods will fix it", etc. - but you're stuck with it on consoles. (unless they addressed it with a patch. I dunno, haven't played it in months)

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:51:21 07-02-2013
  • Vortex808 7 Feb 2013 09:48:53 7,580 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've started this over the last couple of weeks after avoiding it for ages, knowing full well it'd be like digital crack. I am very addicted just now and have been playing nothing else on the weekend evenings and have.

Stealthy archer is certainly lots of fun Armoured_Bear. I opted for a Breton to get a decent balance for stealth and some spell casting.

I think I may delay playing every Skyrim/Fallout game for a year or so now. I felt Fallout New Vegas was great, but really buggy and annoying on release. If Skyrim was like that too, it's been pretty well patched by now.

No quests borked so far by my need to randomly wander and do stuff so far.....and those that might have been an issue have always had a 'I've already done that' option. Which has been very handy, although that might have been in from the start.

Edited by Vortex808 at 09:49:53 07-02-2013
  • magicpanda 8 Feb 2013 08:53:46 13,480 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rating the new Dragonborn DLC a lot. Didn't think I'd be back in Skyrim after 100+ hours of it but this has sucked me back in like day one.
  • HelloNo 9 Feb 2013 20:13:32 1,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Same, but it's a great bit of DLC.

I forget how beautiful Skyrim is sometimes: just walked out of the house you can buy in Markath and wow, that view over the mountains, fantastic. The game deserved any design awards given to it.
  • Rens11 9 Feb 2013 21:31:46 1,465 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do the updated textures look any different?

Don’t kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he’d eat you and everyone you care about!

• FWB 9 Feb 2013 22:05:19 45,590 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Red guard dual wielding swords. Everything else is for pansies.
  • Metalfish 9 Feb 2013 22:47:03 8,874 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Real men werewolf everything.
  • FWB 9 Feb 2013 22:50:45 45,590 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Except they're not real men, are they? Huh? HUH?

Yeah, you think about that.
  • stryker1121 9 Feb 2013 23:07:08 766 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fell back into Skyrim a couple of weeks ago after picking up both major DLC. Started w/ Dawnguard, and mostly enjoy it despite the lifeless Soul Cairn level which I disliked strongly. Made myself a spiffy new Nordic sword with paralyze perk for my light armored, one-hand spellsword character. Good times.
  • magicpanda 9 Feb 2013 23:41:41 13,480 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been Dark Elf since Morrowind. Once you go black you never go back.

I am a failed Medieval Batman. Lost a civilian (Chap called Amren) to a vamp attack on Whiterun. I wasn't quick enough on the draw to save him he ended up splattered all over the front gate. It was so close, my arrow went right through the vamps just as he killed him.

Checked out his corpse and he had a Family Sword which I took along with his house keys. A day later I get an inheritance letter and money from a Courier which was oddly touching. So I decide to go back to Whiterun and check out his house. He had a damn wife and kid!

It's now my mission to never lose another civilian and I'm going to shove Amrens sword (now tempered to legendary status) right up the head Vampires arsehole.

I need to get out more.
  • Page

of 495 First / Last