Shogun - Total War 2 Page 15

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• WoodenSpoon 6 Apr 2011 22:38:23 12,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not that I know of, but I haven't really looked.

Here are some general TW tips that are probably still true in Shogun though:

As your settlements' populations grow, so does unrest. Plan ahead and when you're building stuff to maintain public order.

Also make sure you build up your settlements' economic structures and sign trade agreements with other powers in good time; it can be tempting to build stuff that lets you get cool soldiers and cannons as soon as possible, but if you can't pay for them there isn't a great deal of point.

Agents are probably most useful for scouting out enemy areas. CA seem to alter the agent stuff with each game quite a bit, but in the past agents like assassins and priests haven't been particularly useful - spies are better.

Keep on top of your army upkeep costs - they can creep up on you quickly. It's better to get rid of units you don't need than it is to have them standing around costing loads turn after turn (but do think ahead when doing this!). In Empire/Napoleon navies were particularly expensive.

Don't expect your long-term allies to stay friendly forever, if you get the chance it's often better to fuck them over before they do it to you.
  • WoodenSpoon 6 Apr 2011 22:38:54 12,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I miss TW I might have to buy Shogun.
  • heavy_salad 6 Apr 2011 23:11:25 721 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers for the tips WS. I'll have a play around tomorrow I think, try and learn the ropes.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2011 15:46:33
    Shogun 2 on Disc is 15.98 online from Game. Bizarrely it's 35 in store. ?
  • Trafford 7 Apr 2011 16:41:28 5,739 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bricks and mortar's expensive innit.

I miss Total War. I'm on holiday at the moment. I'm reading James Clavell's Shogun to keep me occupied, great book.
  • Hantheman 10 Apr 2011 22:31:36 540 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone else have a problem whereby all their generals end up be traitors? Seriously. It's a joke!
  • El_MUERkO 14 Apr 2011 22:55:52 16,975 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DasBooter wrote:
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    Shogun 2 on Disc is 15.98 online from Game. Bizarrely it's 35 in store. ?

Thought I was getting it for a bargain at 19 from Shopto. Thankfully they never had it in stock so I cancelled the preorder and got it from Game... along with Dragon Age 2 for 13.98 :-)

sweeet, and dragon age 2 gives you a free copy of mass effect 2 :D
  • curtlikesmeat 19 Apr 2011 18:24:23 126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can someone help me on how you play these games please? I haven't played any of the TW games since the original Shogun and I find them a little shallow, but I think it's because of the way I play it.

I'll start out being all tactical with formations, where I sent troops etc. then sooner or later, the enemy will rush me and I think screw it - select all and everyone pile in to the big ruck in the middle! I almost always win with this strategy but it kind of feels like a hollow victory. Am I doing it wrong or does it always play out like this? Any tips anyone?
  • AaronTurner 19 Apr 2011 18:25:36 7,683 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This version is a bit more of a ruck than previous ones.
  • WoodenSpoon 19 Apr 2011 19:37:33 12,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Swords beat spears, spears beat horses, horses beat swords. Horses can run fast and missile units can kill stuff far away. That's pretty much it really.

AaronTurner is right though, fights do seem to get pretty messy in this one; I'm not sure if it's just because I'm used to arranging everyone in to neat lines in Empire. One thing I do find is that spears are better at holding a line than swords, I try to have the spears absorb an attack or attack head on and then rush round the sides with swords or horses.
  • Trafford 19 Apr 2011 19:49:02 5,739 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I do kind of miss playing the Thin Red Line. Roll on Empire 2.
    In fact , I wonder what next years model will be?
  • curtlikesmeat 19 Apr 2011 19:58:21 126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    Swords beat spears, spears beat horses, horses beat swords. Horses can run fast and missile units can kill stuff far away. That's pretty much it really.

AaronTurner is right though, fights do seem to get pretty messy in this one; I'm not sure if it's just because I'm used to arranging everyone in to neat lines in Empire. One thing I do find is that spears are better at holding a line than swords, I try to have the spears absorb an attack or attack head on and then rush round the sides with swords or horses.

Yeah I'd been lining the spears up in front and all that - I just find that after that it just turns into one big... pile on!
  • WoodenSpoon 19 Apr 2011 20:06:11 12,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah they don't seem to stay in formation as well as spears in Medieval and that. There's a spear wall setting that makes them better at it but slows them down loads so you've gotta have other units protecting their sides.
  • Trafford 21 Apr 2011 23:38:47 5,739 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes the intrigue is great.
    How does it work, the co-op? Do you both play at the same time? Are you allied or one clan?
  • Deleted user 29 April 2011 22:21:32
    In previous games didn't growth mean your city created extra towns around it? (that could be wrong, it's been a while - still got Nap to play, let alone this)
  • WoodenSpoon 30 Apr 2011 02:08:46 12,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think a bigger population means more taxes, so the faster your growth the faster the wealth of the town will grow.

I've given up on this, the Realm Divide thing happened and one of my provinces had a Christian revolution; fixing it felt more like work than fun.

I have to say I don't think I enjoyed Shogun as much as the other Total Wars, the battles didn't seem as satisfying for some reason, and I preferred the larger scope of Medieval and Empire. Also in Empire I liked getting new technologies because they gave you new things like fire by rank and mortars; in Shogun upgrading your buildings pretty much just seemed to up your stats.
  • Trafford 30 Apr 2011 09:13:46 5,739 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    In previous games didn't growth mean your city created extra towns around it? (that could be wrong, it's been a while - still got Nap to play, let alone this)

As you upgrade the regions stronghold it unlocks a new slot to build upon.
    It's better ,as you get a choice of what to build.
  • Rajin 1 May 2011 16:48:20 619 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone up for some campaign co-op? Or in the sense of Versus?:)
  • Tremendosaurus 1 May 2011 21:36:42 1,197 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bloody love this game :) However, I'm doing ok in the fights, and have a good amount of income but I'm struggling keeping the food level up - any advice? Am I just building up my towns too fast or what? :(
  • Trafford 2 May 2011 00:55:12 5,739 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Hantheman 2 May 2011 10:17:18 540 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Building towns too quickly and not upgrading your farms. Remember castles and market (high level) consume a lot of food.
  • Articulate-Troll 2 May 2011 11:11:10 3,101 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, there's really not much point building castles in every province. Better to build up farms for the surplus food and cash.
  • Tremendosaurus 2 May 2011 12:05:15 1,197 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's what I thought :( thanks
  • Page

of 17 First / Last