Shogun - Total War 2 Page 14

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• Trafford 27 Mar 2011 10:26:00 5,720 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Damn game beat me last night with 5 years to go and nearly 30 hours played.
    It was the Shoguns ire. Ruined the cash flow and stretched my armies all over the map.

A thrilling end though, can't wait to start again.
  • Deleted user 27 March 2011 11:41:50
    I made to mistake of making a premptive strike on Kyoto before all hell broke loose. Was an easy old-school type rolling across the map from there. :(
  • Shikasama 28 Mar 2011 23:25:06 6,709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really want to buy this but I have had the same problem with every Total War game to date.

The battles always end up as a complete clusterfuck.

I'll start the battle and try and manoever my units into the positions I want them to be in, but the PC just rushes me. In retaliation I send my monged out units sprinting towards theirs and chaos ensues. It has always been a massive source of frustration for me that I can't actually place my units on the map myself befroe the battle starts.
  • WoodenSpoon 28 Mar 2011 23:34:01 12,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Erm...
  • Deleted user 28 March 2011 23:46:46
    How many Total War games have you played?!
  • Shikasama 29 Mar 2011 00:53:38 6,709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The original Shogun, Med 2 and Rome

Although I am guessing from people's responses that you can do exactly what I was complaining you couldn't do :p I can't see where though.

When I enter the battle stage I get my units in a predetermined formation and then the battle starts. I can walk my units to other locations but by that time I'm already being ran at by some screaming spearmen/elephants/imps

Enlighten me oh great forum dwellers. Custodians of the sarcastic remarks!
  • AaronTurner 29 Mar 2011 00:56:34 7,669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On the screen where there is a button for the battle to start, don't click it until you've sorted your troops.
  • Shikasama 29 Mar 2011 00:58:45 6,709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Seriously?

Fuck.
  • grey_matters 29 Mar 2011 01:00:34 3,687 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You poor bastard! Every single unit can be placed wherever you want it (within a specified zone) in any number of groupings.
  • Shikasama 29 Mar 2011 01:17:20 6,709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And I assume this helps greatly with said clusterfucking!

On the bright side, I can put this in the 'game mechanics it took you ages to figure out thread' and it will probably get a sale for Shogun 2.
  • urban 29 Mar 2011 19:04:55 10,938 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shoulda played the tutorial! I'm a total war vet and it taught me stuff!

So I've just had the big event... Realm divide event - I've got two massive armies that are invading me at points in the map where my towns are massively under protected. I've got two big experienced armies making the push for kyoto but I reckon I'm rushing

. I doubt I'll have a realm left to rule over. I keep looking at the date and thinking FUCK I'VE ONLY GOT 6 TURNS TO GO! and forgetting that each year has what? 4 turns?
  • Shikasama 30 Mar 2011 15:45:34 6,709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Out of interest, does anyone play it and auto-resolve the battles?
  • disusedgenius 30 Mar 2011 15:51:46 5,271 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    And I assume this helps greatly with said clusterfucking!
    Yes and no, I'm still not 100% happy with the battles. They're still one usually quick engagement and then all over.

I autoresolve all navel battles, for what it's worth, and any land battles where I'm 75%+ favoured.
  • AaronTurner 30 Mar 2011 16:02:41 7,669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only battles I play are the ones that look close or in the enemies favour.
  • Trafford 30 Mar 2011 19:49:05 5,720 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I tend to auto resolve a lot. I do enough chin stroking on the Strat map.
    Battles would eat my time more.

Sometimes I cannot resist though, a first strike or a Daimyo last stand , I will.
  • Deleted user 30 March 2011 20:48:55
    I only auto resolve when it's the cleanup fights too otherwise it takes multiple turns to kill 3 enemy soldiers.
  • Hantheman 30 Mar 2011 22:44:05 540 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I auto anything I should win at a canter, even if "they're evenly matched" by their calculations, but the AI seems to like stacks of pure ashigaru units vs my top tier troops, it's not exactly gonna be hard. I usually play when I'm using reinforcements and ambushes.
  • OneLove- 6 Apr 2011 14:01:16 73 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, I finally bought it. Only my Disk Drive won't even read the disk
  • andytheadequate 6 Apr 2011 14:03:39 8,108 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can any of the newer Total War games be played on a Mac? Used to love playing the older ones (Shogun, Medieval, Rome) but my PC isn't good enough anymore...
  • heavy_salad 6 Apr 2011 14:49:29 720 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Any basic guides around for this that people would recommend? I didn't find the tutorial particularly helpful and I wouldn't mind having the basics explained to me a bit better..
  • TheRealBadabing 6 Apr 2011 15:04:40 1,295 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OneLove- wrote:
    Ignore the disk and just activate on Steam. Big old download but at least all is not lost.
  • OneLove- 6 Apr 2011 17:04:34 73 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    OneLove- wrote:
    Ignore the disk and just activate on Steam. Big old download but at least all is not lost.

Yeah I suppose. Still, will take weeks on this connection, not sure my Uni will approve of the 20gb download either...

• WoodenSpoon 6 Apr 2011 17:08:14 12,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    heavy_salad wrote:
    Any basic guides around for this that people would recommend? I didn't find the tutorial particularly helpful and I wouldn't mind having the basics explained to me a bit better..

What are you unclear about?
  • heavy_salad 6 Apr 2011 20:22:35 720 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    heavy_salad wrote:

I think I'm ok with the battle basics, but the tutorial (IMO) didn't really explain all the bits and bobs in the campaign, so just like a guide or something to go through the different bits there really.
  • dunny 6 Apr 2011 20:31:51 433 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Other than big or significant battles in this game I tend to auto-resolve, but I really enjoy the campaign map. Would I enjoy civ5 do you think?
  • WoodenSpoon 6 Apr 2011 20:50:37 12,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    heavy_salad wrote:
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    heavy_salad wrote:

I think I'm ok with the battle basics, but the tutorial (IMO) didn't really explain all the bits and bobs in the campaign, so just like a guide or something to go through the different bits there really.

Hmm, all of the Total Wars are slightly different in terms of how the campaign map works. Not having played Shogun I can't really help you a great deal.

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen a tutorial that really properly covered the campaign map beyond the very basic stuff, the best way to get the hang of it is probably to play around with it!
  • Slurmseh 6 Apr 2011 21:50:52 2,336 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Can any of the newer Total War games be played on a Mac? Used to love playing the older ones (Shogun, Medieval, Rome) but my PC isn't good enough anymore...
    Rome is available via the App Store.

But that's the only one I think.
  • heavy_salad 6 Apr 2011 22:13:59 720 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    heavy_salad wrote:
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    heavy_salad wrote:

Hmm, all of the Total Wars are slightly different in terms of how the campaign map works. Not having played Shogun I can't really help you a great deal.

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen a tutorial that really properly covered the campaign map beyond the very basic stuff, the best way to get the hang of it is probably to play around with it!

Yeah I suppose it's probably best to learn by doing. I was hoping there might be a site like the Civ 4 one by Sulla or Silla is it?
  • Page

of 17 First / Last