The Official World Cup 2014 Thread Page 34

• Page

of 585 First / Last

• Deleted user 15 October 2013 21:57:32
    I think we are likely to win in Brazil
  • Deleted user 15 October 2013 21:59:08
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    I think we are likely to win in Brazil
    It's about time The Sun started giving out 1 holidays in the slums....
  • robc84 15 Oct 2013 21:59:53 6,008 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I know. It was meant a bit tongue in cheek. Just amusing (and a shame of course) that we have finally found a place for them in the same as they are nearly at the end of their careers.

Edit: @ dsmx

Edited by robc84 at 22:00:57 15-10-2013
  • X201 15 Oct 2013 21:59:57 15,700 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Right now, thosands of advertising executives are over the moon.
  • Dougs 15 Oct 2013 22:03:00 69,125 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fucking magic. Chuffed as nuts
  • teamHAM 15 Oct 2013 22:04:46 3,117 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sweden 3-5 Germany
    Montenegro 2-5 Moldova
    Scotland 2-0 Croatia
    Azerbaijan 1-1 Russia
    Italy 2-2 Armenia

Really crazy results tonight..

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• bladdard 15 Oct 2013 22:04:55 1,009 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To all out lovely Scottish friends, guess who's going to Brazil?!!!

Not Scotland! :-)
  • caligari 15 Oct 2013 22:05:13 17,185 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    At least we can now look forward to some great play-off joy/tragedy - there should be some cracking games in there.

France asking for the play-offs to be seeded...oh sweet irony!

Ah, scrub that - the confirmed eight are: Croatia, Sweden, Romania, Iceland, Portugal, Greece, Ukraine and France. Shame, as I was hoping for a Greece Vs Turkey.

Edited by caligari at 22:11:22 15-10-2013
  • grey_matters 15 Oct 2013 22:05:45 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, can't say that I agree with everything that Noel King says but he has done well for whoever the next manager is.
    Brought all the exiled players back. Fronted up to the absolute fucking idiots on the RTE panel (not always correctly). When the new manager comes in, there'll be nearly no tabloidy issues left to rake over.
    Top work, more by accident than by design, but it'll work out fine for the next guy.
  • dsmx 15 Oct 2013 22:37:08 7,692 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @robc84 I just enjoy the fact for the first time in what feels like 20 years there's at least some hope of England playing as a team, it's nice to see. I only hope Roy can actually get them to play as a team that hold onto the ball because in the conditions in Brazil if they don't hold onto the ball England are not going to get passed the group stages.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• vijay_UK 15 Oct 2013 22:45:51 2,325 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Delighted.

Like they say, you have to be in it to win it.

:)
  • DanB24 15 Oct 2013 23:01:58 2,327 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Phew.
    Can relax till next summer now. :)
  • dsmx 15 Oct 2013 23:40:17 7,692 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    not sure relax is the right word we all know that england will break our hearts yet again but at least this time there's a chance they might play some good football along the way.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• mcmonkeyplc 16 Oct 2013 00:03:00 39,521 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    not sure relax is the right word we all know that england will break our hearts yet again but at least this time there's a chance they might play some good football along the way.
    Don't fool yourself. Expect nothing from England.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• robc84 16 Oct 2013 06:52:58 6,008 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @dsmx agreed. It was the first time in a long time it wasnt extremely painful to watch them. Can we keep it going against better teams? Time will tell!
  • Youthist 16 Oct 2013 09:57:40 10,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All woads lead to Wio then?

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Youthist 16 Oct 2013 10:01:02 10,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    @dsmx agreed. It was the first time in a long time it wasnt extremely painful to watch them. Can we keep it going against better teams? Time will tell!
    To be fair we 'normally' do better against teams that are better - i.e where we are underdogs, and they actually come at us vs. playing on the break and getting everyone behind the ball (i.e every mediocre team we play in any qualifier or world cup group ever). We have absolutely no clue how to break that down and resort to hoofing it and normally results in a turgid draw - both home and away.

So yeah yesterday I couldn't believe England didn't retreat into their shell on the edge of their area and just pump it away to protect the one goal. They actually remained a threat throughout all the game. Not seen that in years I don't think.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Deleted user 16 October 2013 10:02:50
    Feel sorry for Aaron Lennon. Townsend will almost certainly go to the WC instead of him now.
  • Youthist 16 Oct 2013 10:04:07 10,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He plays (so far) without fear though. Sturridge and Baines too - they look like they play for their clubs. Let's hope that continues and rubs off on a few others.

• Deleted user 16 October 2013 10:05:50
    Yeah, I'm not shitting on Townsend. Always plays with a point to prove whichever team it's for. Love his attitude.
  • Dougs 16 Oct 2013 10:07:31 69,125 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can only be good for us too, hopefully the competition will up Theo's game.
  • nickthegun 16 Oct 2013 10:07:58 61,118 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It will be interesting to see how he plays against some decent teams, if we get some reasonable opposition in pre-WC friendlies.

Hes not going to be able to continually run the length of the pitch against a team that isnt shit.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• LeoliansBro 16 Oct 2013 10:08:15 44,769 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The qualifying process is madness. How can Iran qualify for the World Cup and Portugal not?

If a level playing field for qualifying was used and a disproportionate number of European teams end up going, then that would be because Europe has a disproportionate number of good footballing nations. Far better to have the best countries at the World Cup than skew things this way, and like I could give a shit about it helping Iran's presence on the national stage etc when it hobbles the damn underlying sporting event like this.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 16 October 2013 10:10:29
    I can see both sides of the regional qualifying arguments. I quite like that teams like Saudi Arabia and North Korea can end up in the WC. It's made for some classic games and memorable goals. It would be boring if the WC was exactly the same tournament as the Euros but with Brazil and Argentina.
  • nickthegun 16 Oct 2013 10:11:56 61,118 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There have and will always be good teams not make it through from europe. Its just about the only thing that gives qualifying some spice.

• Youthist 16 Oct 2013 10:12:36 10,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuck Portugal though ,to be fair. They have caused us enough problems in recent tournaments - You know we would meet them and they would knock us out on penalties in an awful bore draw.

• robc84 16 Oct 2013 10:13:58 6,008 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I love Townsend's confidence. Has good strength and balance when running with the ball. Not as lightweight as lennon. Hopefully he can keep it up.

I like Theo to be fair, but he needs to be more consistent. Seems he is either amazing or shit. If they are both in good form, walcott and towsend on the wings with rooney playing off sturridge is actually a decent looking attack.

Think Baines has to be first choice now. Cole is a great left back, but based on form, I think Baines has been better for a while now.
  • nickthegun 16 Oct 2013 10:15:55 61,118 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im just glad we have people competing for places again.

• JuanKerr 16 Oct 2013 10:18:05 36,426 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's great that lesser footballing nations that don't have the luxury of billions invested in the game by the likes of Sky have a chance to qualify for the World Cup.

And teams like Portugal should be able to qualify - they've obviously just fucked up this time around, just like England did for the 1994 World Cup, for example.

Edited by JuanKerr at 10:19:33 16-10-2013
  • robc84 16 Oct 2013 10:19:30 6,008 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    To be fair I said the other day in the PL thread that I thought the players didn't seem interested. Wasn't the case last night so credit where it's due.

Not getting too carried away though after a couple of decent performances against mediocre teams.

Something to build on though.
  • Page

of 585 First / Last