The Official World Cup 2014 Thread Page 9

• Page

of 585 First / Last

• grey_matters 12 Oct 2012 21:57:54 3,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    It sounded bad when I flicked over at half time to hear Shay Given bemoan the fact that Ireland should have had a corner but was given as a goal kick.
    :)

Yeah, that's about the size of it.

On the plus side, Didi Hamann's eyebrows and accent continue to be things of wonder. We must sustain ourselves during these difficult times in whatever ways we can.
  • Ka-blamo 12 Oct 2012 22:02:56 7,306 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 22:23:35
    STRIKER
  • Trowel 12 Oct 2012 22:39:15 17,524 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    http://i.imgur.com/WY77S.gif

(to be fair, he was sprinting at the time and I think another camera angle shows that Maloney caught him)

(plus the ref owed us)
  • Syrette 12 Oct 2012 22:42:43 43,232 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chris Mitchell on Twitter: "Absolutely pathetic from England. Aside from Wayne Rooney the players and especially the manager should be embarrassed."

Dave Worley on Twitter: "For me, England are guilty of showing off tonight. Germany and Holland battered San Marino by being ruthless. England messed about."
    Oh dear.

• Deleted user 12 October 2012 22:45:12
    @Trowel theres another angle that shows maloney absolutely didnt touch him. If the ref owed anyone it was scotland and the completely legit second goal.
  • Trowel 12 Oct 2012 22:49:05 17,524 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, the lino disallowing your second was a little... unexpected.
  • RedSparrows 12 Oct 2012 22:52:53 22,214 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Chris Mitchell on Twitter: "Absolutely pathetic from England. Aside from Wayne Rooney the players and especially the manager should be embarrassed."

Dave Worley on Twitter: "For me, England are guilty of showing off tonight. Germany and Holland battered San Marino by being ruthless. England messed about."
    Oh dear.
    I hate this shit.
  • SolidSCB 12 Oct 2012 22:57:08 6,504 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Syrette wrote:

Oh dear.
    I hate this shit.
    Haha. I think these morons genuinely expected at least a 10-0 tonight. Stuff like this is half the reason I don't follow the national team in the slightest. Embarrassing.
  • mikew1985 12 Oct 2012 23:28:18 12,645 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    After coming back from Lansdowne road I sat down with a much needed beer and watched the England highlights.

You hammered the team 5 - 0 and still it was all complaints and going by some of the posts here from twitter, there are plenty of England fans not happy.

Fuck me, get some perspective, looked to me England scored some good goals, finally have a stable useful manager and some genuine young talent.

We just got absolutely raped by the Germans 6 - 1(they were pretty good to watch tbf).
  • Dougs 12 Oct 2012 23:42:41 67,016 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    @Trowel theres another angle that shows maloney absolutely didnt touch him. If the ref owed anyone it was scotland and the completely legit second goal.
    From that angle above it looks like he kicked his own heels

Edit: as for England, looked we created plenty, just the finishing was wayward until late on. Delighted for the Ox though.

Edited by Dougs at 23:43:37 12-10-2012
  • SolidSCB 12 Oct 2012 23:48:04 6,504 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Good god. I've never heard as much drivel in my life. Those pricks Southgate and Townsend basically saying San Marino shouldn't be allowed to compete at international level. England get an easy win, so the patronising comments start being thrown around. Hate England so much.
  • ecureuil 12 Oct 2012 23:51:16 76,648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think they have a point tbh. This is their all time record:

P 112
    W 1
    D 4
    L 107
    F 19
    A 467
    GD -448

I think the competition should be streamlined so we have less fixtures interrupting the proper football.
  • SolidSCB 13 Oct 2012 00:02:10 6,504 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think any country should be excluded from playing because they aren't as skilled. Such an elitist, school-bully way of thinking. As long as a country can honour their fixtures they should be given a chance to qualify. It's not as if they are causing anyone any bother.
  • ecureuil 13 Oct 2012 00:06:12 76,648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There should be pre-qualifying, like how some teams have to do separate qualifying for the champions league. Basically I think there are too many international fixtures.
  • senso-ji 13 Oct 2012 00:13:15 5,837 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I remember the last time the 'experts' whined about England having to play minnows was during the Euro 2008 qualifiers...
  • SolidSCB 13 Oct 2012 00:16:22 6,504 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That makes sense, but they would have to sort out a ranking system that isn't a complete farce to determine who has to pre-qualify and who doesn't.
  • SolidSCB 13 Oct 2012 00:17:31 6,504 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    I remember the last time the 'experts' whined about England having to play minnows was during the Euro 2008 qualifiers...
    Hopefully we get the same eventual outcome.
  • King_Edward 13 Oct 2012 00:18:08 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Syrette wrote:

Oh dear.
    Indeed. Rooney was pish.
  • King_Edward 13 Oct 2012 00:20:00 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    There should be pre-qualifying, like how some teams have to do separate qualifying for the champions league. Basically I think there are too many international fixtures.
    Careful there. Streamlining qualificationmight mean we have to play someone decent to qualify. Then we're fucked.
  • dsmx 13 Oct 2012 00:53:49 7,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really don't see the point in teams like san marino playing in the qualifiers against teams like Italy, Spain, England and so on. At best they will scrape a win, a draw and lose the rest. Surely teams like that should have their own qualification group and let them at least have a chance at representing their country at a finals.

Yes it must be quite an experience for most of them playing in front of 80k+ people but I bet they'd prefer having a chance at getting to the finals rather than a protracted qualifying campaign that they have no chance of getting anything out of.

Edited by dsmx at 00:54:13 13-10-2012

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Armoured_Bear 13 Oct 2012 00:54:20 10,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Can we sack Levein now?
    Ta.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• grey_matters 13 Oct 2012 01:24:11 3,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    I really don't see the point in teams like san marino playing in the qualifiers against teams like Italy, Spain, England and so on. At best they will scrape a win, a draw and lose the rest. Surely teams like that should have their own qualification group and let them at least have a chance at representing their country at a finals.

Yes it must be quite an experience for most of them playing in front of 80k+ people but I bet they'd prefer having a chance at getting to the finals rather than a protracted qualifying campaign that they have no chance of getting anything out of.
    Can't agree with this. Every now and and again a tiny country has their own "golden generation" and when that coincides with an over-confident and under-performing "big" team, you have what local legends are made of. Football, for all its grandiose self-importance is still built on that shit, and the day they kill it is the day they finally kill football.

Edited by grey_matters at 01:25:25 13-10-2012
  • neilqpr 13 Oct 2012 13:56:10 2,836 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got a last minute ticket to the Aviva. Ireland seemed good for 7 minutes, then just sat back and let the Germans come at them. Which wasn't the best tactic in the world.

I spent large prtions of the game just watching Schweinsteiger, his movement around the field is brilliant, he just naturally knows where to be and at the right time so often.

First time in the Aviva too, I was in the expensive seats and it was dead nice.
  • alexc7496 15 Oct 2012 13:13:46 1,777 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So any chance of the Scots getting something out of Belgium?

The 3rd most expensive national team in the world based on transfer fees behind Portugal and Brazil.
  • oceanmotion 15 Oct 2012 13:23:24 15,765 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    alexc7496 wrote:

The 3rd most expensive national team in the world based on transfer fees behind Portugal and Brazil.
    No, I hope we lose and he gets sacked.

We should bring in someone new with positive thinking, good tactics and let him experiment with the remaining fixtures in preparation for Euro 2016, don't waste another match with Levein. We have a decent squad, no excuse to not go for it and give teams a challenge, win or lose.
  • Zizoo 15 Oct 2012 13:24:47 8,247 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So is anybody planning on going to Brazil for this? I'm thinking about it.
  • alexc7496 15 Oct 2012 13:34:21 1,777 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not so sure Scotland have got the squad. Yeah a few solid premier league players but no one you would call world class. Saying that Levein's formations and tactics are very bizarre. It is a tough group and looking at it I don't think Scotland would have got out if it anyway so might be worth blooding some young players.

Maybe worth bringing in young Furez? Looks a good player and with qualification all but over it is a good time to bring him in and get some experience ready for the Euro 2016 qualifiers?
  • Tom_Servo 15 Oct 2012 13:36:16 17,390 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Scott Brown and James Forrest are out of the Belgium game, so we really don't have a hope. Brown is integral, really.

We'll lose by two or three, Levein will probably be sacked, Strachan will probably come in and we'll just use the rest of this campaign as some training for the next disappointment.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Oct 2012 13:58:13 10,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    alexc7496 wrote:

No, I hope we lose and he gets sacked.

We should bring in someone new with positive thinking, good tactics and let him experiment with the remaining fixtures in preparation for Euro 2016, don't waste another match with Levein. We have a decent squad, no excuse to not go for it and give teams a challenge, win or lose.
    Ths.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Page

of 585 First / Last