The Official World Cup 2014 Thread Page 5

  • Page

    of 45 First / Last

  • Dougs 11 Sep 2012 21:15:23 64,963 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    polaris70 wrote:
    Bollocks. He's shite. But the real problem is that only 34% of players in the Prem are English. Should be no more than 3 foreigners in a Prem squad if you want a decent England team. Looking at Wembley tonight, I don't think many people give a shit anyway.
    How's that going to help? All you'll get is rank average teams. Playing with better players can only be good for development. To improve British players, you need to invest in coaches, move away from results and competition for those at a very easy age and move away from the physical game that we see every week.

    It's no surprise we're so far behind countries that play the game with the ball on the ground and lose as soon as we come up against a decent team.
  • polaris70 11 Sep 2012 21:15:35 290 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd sooner see someone with actual skill and pace in the side. Get Sterling on for that cart horse Milner.
  • SolidSCB 11 Sep 2012 21:17:20 5,864 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh yes. Let's get Sterling on so we can moan about him when he can't put in that same 30 minutes he did against Man City that time.
  • FWB 11 Sep 2012 21:18:22 42,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    More Liverpool players. That's exactly what this team needs.
  • polaris70 11 Sep 2012 21:18:36 290 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    polaris70 wrote:
    Bollocks. He's shite. But the real problem is that only 34% of players in the Prem are English. Should be no more than 3 foreigners in a Prem squad if you want a decent England team. Looking at Wembley tonight, I don't think many people give a shit anyway.
    How's that going to help? All you'll get is rank average teams. Playing with better players can only be good for development. To improve British players, you need to invest in coaches, move away from results and competition for those at a very easy age and move away from the physical game that we see every week.

    It's no surprise we're so far behind countries that play the game with the ball on the ground and lose as soon as we come up against a decent team.
    Well, actually playing in your team helps. It's no good playing in a team of one englishman and 10 foreigners like Arsenal had a few years ago. The England manager has to have a pool to pick from. In La Liga 95% of the players are Spanish, it hasn't hurt them much.

    Edited by polaris70 at 21:19:17 11-09-2012
  • LionheartDJH 11 Sep 2012 21:20:54 19,295 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    polaris70 wrote:
    In La Liga 95% of the players are Spanish, it hasn't hurt them much.
    Making up stats doesn't help your argument.

    She dives for cheese pasties

  • senso-ji 11 Sep 2012 21:22:26 5,330 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why didn't Welbeck start the match?
  • FWB 11 Sep 2012 21:22:49 42,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It helps, but perhaps, just perhaps, one of the reasons there are so many foreigners in the PL is because we simply lack the English talent to be there in the first place. The solution is much deeper than raising quotas. The numbers need to increase by themselves.
  • SolidSCB 11 Sep 2012 21:23:25 5,864 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The reason Spain are better is because their players are of a much higher technical ability. It has nothing to do with '95%' of their players being in La Liga.
  • Dougs 11 Sep 2012 21:26:33 64,963 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    polaris70 wrote:
    Well, actually playing in your team helps. It's no good playing in a team of one englishman and 10 foreigners like Arsenal had a few years ago. The England manager has to have a pool to pick from. In La Liga 95% of the players are Spanish, it hasn't hurt them much.
    If a player is good enough, they will play, regardless of Nationality. Take Wilshere. Broke into an Arsenal team despite all them dirty foreigners. The player pool is (comparatively) small because we're a small country.
  • LetsGo 11 Sep 2012 21:26:43 5,074 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A shocking 6-1 loss for Wales.

    Edited by LetsGo at 21:27:10 11-09-2012
  • FWB 11 Sep 2012 21:26:58 42,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And our coaching is fucked.
  • polaris70 11 Sep 2012 21:28:35 290 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    The reason Spain are better is because their players are of a much higher technical ability. It has nothing to do with '95%' of their players being in La Liga.
    I never said that. I said La Liga has 95% Spanish players. Which gives the Spain manager a whopping great big pool of players to pick from. No doubt coaching and academies help too.

    Edited by polaris70 at 21:29:20 11-09-2012
  • Dougs 11 Sep 2012 21:29:05 64,963 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well yeah, said that already, don't like repeating myself. Much

    @FWB

    Edited by Dougs at 21:29:36 11-09-2012
  • LionheartDJH 11 Sep 2012 21:30:33 19,295 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dougs wrote:

    If a player is good enough, they will play, regardless of Nationality. Take Wilshere. Broke into an Arsenal team despite all them dirty foreigners. The player pool is (comparatively) small because we're a small country.
    Not sure about that Dougs, in terms of population we are one of the most populous footballing countries. Like FWB and Solid said, the pool is small cos far fewer of our players are up to the technical standards that their counterparts on the Continent are.

    Agree that if they're good enough they'll play however, especially given the premium attached to home grown talent these days.

    She dives for cheese pasties

  • Dougs 11 Sep 2012 21:30:55 64,963 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    polaris70 wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:
    The reason Spain are better is because their players are of a much higher technical ability. It has nothing to do with '95%' of their players being in La Liga.
    I never said that. I said La Liga has 95% Spanish players. Which gives the Spain manager a whopping great big pool of players to pick from. No doubt coaching and academies help too.
    But the amount they have to pick from is irrelevant if the players are crap. Which they're not due to better coaching and focus on technique.
  • senso-ji 11 Sep 2012 21:31:56 5,330 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    The player pool is (comparatively) small because we're a small country.
    According to Sport England's figures, 3.1 million people play Football regularly (at various levels). I think with the kind of money and popularity the sport enjoys in this country, that should be enough to find two dozen decent players for a national side.

    The reason why the English players aren't coming through is because for the past decade, the premier league has been about generating TV revenue instead of grass roots development.
  • LetsGo 11 Sep 2012 21:32:26 5,074 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    polaris70 wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:
    The reason Spain are better is because their players are of a much higher technical ability. It has nothing to do with '95%' of their players being in La Liga.
    I never said that. I said La Liga has 95% Spanish players. Which gives the Spain manager a whopping great big pool of players to pick from. No doubt coaching and academies help too.
    What does the amount of Spanish players in the Spanish league have to do with National success? Why wasn't England successful during the 70s and 80s when the English leagues were full of English players?
  • polaris70 11 Sep 2012 21:32:52 290 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is it just me or is Joe Hart too static. Great shot stopper but the guy is rooted to his goal line.
  • FWB 11 Sep 2012 21:33:19 42,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    La Liga has 95% Spanish players because they have decent players to play for them. We simply lack them. If they existed they'd be playing. You can't enforce a quota. If you did they football would be dire. Need to have the talent before you can expect it play. It seems like you're suggesting there is some mysterious talent waiting somewhere to be discovered, but they don't get a chance because of foreigners. Read the Daily Mail?


    Anyway, I like the foreign element in the PL. It represents England for me... it's welcoming multiculturalism. Keeps things interesting and of a high quality.

    Edited by FWB at 21:36:59 11-09-2012
  • nickthegun 11 Sep 2012 21:34:46 56,034 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The reason we dont have the players is that we have had piss poor technical development for the last few years. The major footballing nations raced ahead of us while we were teaching route one and asking kids to run around full sized pitches.

    We then imported the foreigns to do the jobs our players couldnt do thanks to failed coaching.

    Its changing but it wont happen overnight.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • nickthegun 11 Sep 2012 21:37:06 56,034 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    La Liga has mainly spanish players because most of the league isnt particularly rich. If it was so good for domestic players, they wouldnt fuck off around the world if barca or real dont want them.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • LetsGo 11 Sep 2012 21:37:12 5,074 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If we had more English players playing abroad our players would be technically much better.
  • Syrette 11 Sep 2012 21:38:23 41,924 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    More Liverpool players. That's exactly what this team needs.
    Did Martin Kelly make the team?

    The idea of both of them being anywhere near it - in fact any Liverpool player outside of Johnson and Gerrard - is laughable.

    They're in the bottom 3 at the moment and were the laughing stock of the entire league last season. But their English players must be good because they play for the mighty Liverpool.


    inb4 "we get it, you don't like England/Liverpool"

  • LetsGo 11 Sep 2012 21:39:55 5,074 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So unlucky wellbeck lol, it's a bad bad miss.
  • polaris70 11 Sep 2012 21:39:56 290 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    La Liga has 95% Spanish players because they have decent players to play for them. We simply lack them.
    Sorry I just don't believe that. I'm not talking about your superstar foreigners. I'm talking about the 28 year old Macedonian right back that has just been signed for [insert Prem team here]. You telling me there is no domestic player that can do the same job? And no, I don't read the Daily Fail.
  • nickthegun 11 Sep 2012 21:40:11 56,034 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    If we had more English players playing abroad our players would be technically much better.
    They would have to be technically good to go to technically good places in the first place unless the likes of barca start scalping kids from the wirral from under liverpools nose.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • FWB 11 Sep 2012 21:40:40 42,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    If we had more English players playing abroad our players would be technically much better.
    Can they play abroad? Do they have the ability to? It might help, but I still think the problem is much deeper than that. We simply lack the talent because of poor coaching.
  • senso-ji 11 Sep 2012 21:40:57 5,330 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How did Joe Cole's loan spell in France go?
  • IMO 11 Sep 2012 21:41:08 5,222 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    polaris70 wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    La Liga has 95% Spanish players because they have decent players to play for them. We simply lack them.
    Sorry I just don't believe that. I'm not talking about your superstar foreigners. I'm talking about the 28 year old Macedonian right back that has just been signed for [insert Prem team here]. You telling me there is no domestic player that can do the same job? And no, I don't read the Daily Fail.
    If there was, why aren't they playing?
  • Page

    of 45 First / Last

Log in or register to reply