ICO & SotC Collection Page 31

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• Deleted user 30 May 2012 00:10:15
    Finally completed Ico! Only 10 years too late lol :)

Finished SOTC on the PS2 so this was the one I played first since I criminally overlooked it during the PS2 era. It's such a beautiful game and full of mysteries. There are so many things I imagined whilst exploring the castle: - Why was it built? Why has it been abandoned? Do the soldiers who deliver you to the castle at the beginning of the game know about Yorda and the Queen? Why does Yorda speak a different language to her mother? Hers is the only speech that isn't translated. Yes, I know if you load up a complete game file you can have English subtitles for her but in all honesty I think it adds greatly to the mystery because you can't understand her. It reminds me of that bloke in Uncharted 2 when you're climbing the mountains and have no idea what he's saying. You have a strong connection.

There was also a massive sense of loneliness all the way through. There's no sign of life beyond yourself and Yorda yet all the mechanical machinery suggests there were once humans occupying this place. I love a game that remains open ended after completion because there's no right or wrong answer - just your imagination to ponder why the things that happened did.

Anyway, I think it's easily the better of the two games. Both have a strong emotional narrative but I feel Ico just tugs at the heart strings more. I'm glad I managed to right a wrong, even if it did take 10 bloody years! Absolute gem of a game and it only makes me wish Sony deliver the best news ever at E3 by announcing that The Last Guardian will be releasing at Christmas.
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Aug 2012 21:26:56 11,282 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just started SoTC and brought down the first Colossus, the controls seem a bit shity, causing me to keep falling off due to inconsistency.

Is that fair or bollocks?
    Do I just need time to get used to it?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 8 August 2012 21:29:41
    that fair, but you will get used to them. i was horrified at the controls. but eventually they will just click.

might stick this in and play again. stunning game.

Not sure whats my favourite of the two. ico as a great atmosphere, and is wondeful. SOTC even now is just damn awesomely big and ambitious and epic.
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Aug 2012 22:06:51 11,282 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cheers Joel.
    I enjoyed the 2nd one more, but the 3rd one had me rage quitting.
    Levels with shit controls where you have endless falls then minutes of swimming, minutes of climbing before you can try again, rinse and repeat is more than I have patience for at this moment in time.

Shame as the atmosphere and style is lovely.

I'll come back to it another time..

• mal 8 Aug 2012 23:39:11 22,582 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    3rd one? Swimming? The third colossus is the gangly guy with the big sword isn't he? He's probably the first colossus where you really need to have a rest spot handy, so you can get back to it before you run out of grip.

I must admit, I found Agro annoyingly wayward at times, but the off-horse controls were very fair to me.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• FuzzyDuck 9 Aug 2012 01:28:13 4,145 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Yeah i found the controls on SotC so painfully bad that i sold the Collection (i still have Ico on PS2).
  • Armoured_Bear 9 Aug 2012 07:00:01 11,282 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mal wrote:
    3rd one? Swimming? The third colossus is the gangly guy with the big sword isn't he? He's probably the first colossus where you really need to have a rest spot handy, so you can get back to it before you run out of grip.

I must admit, I found Agro annoyingly wayward at times, but the off-horse controls were very fair to me.
    Yes, after running and jumping to the first platform, missing partly due to the shit controls then falling back into the water and having to swim round then walk back up the path again and again annoyed the shit out of me..

• Deleted user 9 August 2012 09:29:54
    Its about planning and executing and finding those rest spots. Whrn it clicks it is wonderful. all other games you would go up them uncharted style. i think the fact you can fall off so easy adds some real tesion. proper heart in my mouth stuff at times.

Its probably one of the few games where i felt totally in control of the character. stick with it!
  • javvyman 9 Aug 2012 10:58:11 709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have to agree. We're so accustomed to pressing a single button to scale impossible heights like in Assassin's Creed and Uncharted, the moment a game makes us work a little harder, we complain that the controls don't work.
    The controls are fine, climbing is satisfying. Though if I was to name one gripe about the game it's that the camera is just plain frustating!
  • greg_wha 9 Aug 2012 17:44:57 192 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @javvyman Very true. Personally I think the controls are fantastic. Maybe I'm being a fanatic but they represent a weak hero going up against much more powerful enemies brilliantly. Argo's controls are spot on too; gives you the sense your not directly controlling him but struggling to keep him under control. Compare those horse controls to Oblivion and AC.
  • Ziz0u 9 Aug 2012 18:07:19 8,386 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I agree. The controls are fine.
  • mal 9 Aug 2012 18:43:30 22,582 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To be fair to Ecosse, I did fall off his sword the first few times I tried the third colossus. I didn't remember that you fell back in the water, that's all. I think the main problem is the wayward framerate, giving you less time to correct for errors in navigation, which is critical when you're trying to run up a long straight path. Did they fix that at all in the collection? I own the collection, just not a PS3, and I've only played a bit of Ico on it so far.

• Armoured_Bear 9 Aug 2012 22:48:23 11,282 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mal wrote:
    To be fair to Ecosse, I did fall off his sword the first few times I tried the third colossus. I didn't remember that you fell back in the water, that's all. I think the main problem is the wayward framerate, giving you less time to correct for errors in navigation, which is critical when you're trying to run up a long straight path. Did they fix that at all in the collection? I own the collection, just not a PS3, and I've only played a bit of Ico on it so far.
    It wasn't off the sword, it was the initial platform at the top of the ramp from the water.
    Anyway, I finally killed the fucker, took ages but quite satisfying.

However, IV is bloody impossible for me and the retarded save system is bloody annoying..

• Armoured_Bear 9 Aug 2012 23:25:13 11,282 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fuck me, I got the 4th one, awesome!

• mal 9 Aug 2012 23:41:33 22,582 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is how you play this game :D

• Armoured_Bear 14 Aug 2012 22:16:03 11,282 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    8th one down \o/

Number 7 (nessie) was awesome.

• Dr.Haggard 14 Aug 2012 22:34:06 4,209 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Number 7 (nessie) was awesome.
    Yeah, 7's always been my favourite by far, just amazing.
  • drhcnip 14 Aug 2012 22:41:20 2,500 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    one of my absolute favourite games

agreed on 7 - that & 13 were my favourite colossi
  • Triggerhappytel 14 Aug 2012 23:11:43 2,695 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You mean the giant eel? The two flying colossi are my favourite. I also really like the penultimate one.
  • drhcnip 14 Aug 2012 23:17:22 2,500 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    yep....13 is the second flying one, which is the one i'd choose if i had to choose only one - that is an epic fight
  • Dr.Haggard 16 Aug 2012 23:24:16 4,209 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    You mean the giant eel? The two flying colossi are my favourite. I also really like the penultimate one.
    Yeah, I think #7 resonates with me because of a lifelong fascination with deep water and sea creatures, and I've read similar comments from others before.

Obviously there's something simultaneously terrifying and spellbinding about deep dark water (and they pulled that sensation off incredibly well - good grief it's deep) and Hydrus himself comes across as more peaceful and melancholy than most of the others in my opinion, albeit somehow still menacing.

It just pushed all my buttons. The whole encounter just feels profoundly sad and eerie. Even replaying it now makes my hair stand on end.

Talking of Hydrus, anyone seen this?
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Aug 2012 23:17:16 11,282 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fuck, I give up on the last colossus.
    After a few hours on it and struggling big time with no save point of course I doubt I'll come back and try again.
    Too tough and time consuming for me :-(

• mal 23 Aug 2012 23:29:29 22,582 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, can't say I blame you. Last colossus is a bitch and the payoff in terms of the ending is nowhere near as good as the ending of Ico IMO. Just watch it on youtube.

Does mean you don't unlock the time trials and hard mode, of course.

• HiddenAway 24 Aug 2012 15:24:07 14,894 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Fuck, I give up on the last colossus.
    After a few hours on it and struggling big time with no save point of course I doubt I'll come back and try again.
    Too tough and time consuming for me :-(
    I take it you haven't been scouting around for fruit and lizard tails? (minor spoiler - nothing to do with the last colossi)

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• greg_wha 25 Aug 2012 11:17:57 192 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @HiddenAway Lizard tails are essential! What does the fruity toot do? Increase heath?
  • drhcnip 25 Aug 2012 11:28:19 2,500 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    yup
  • greg_wha 25 Aug 2012 17:48:03 192 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @drhcnip And would they be found hanging on trees?
  • Flying_Pig 25 Aug 2012 18:07:02 11,013 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yup
  • Page

of 35 First / Last