ICO & SotC Collection Page 29

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• Big-Swiss 14 Oct 2011 12:24:57 8,096 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    I am talking about ICO. Think 8 hours or so for the one that isn't ICO.

fcuk, Feanor was talking about ICO, I somehow got it mixed up.
    sorry and thanks!

so:

ICO: 5 hours
    SOTC: 8 hours

• kalel 14 Oct 2011 12:26:32 87,689 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thing is ICO is probably a genuined 4/5 hours, wheres SotC may say 8 hours on the clock when you're done, but it won't factor in the many many many many many retries you'll have gone through.
  • Accordi0n 14 Oct 2011 15:29:47 1,075 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you want everything in SotC [just in the game, not including trophies] be prepared to put a bit of time into it.

Youve got your first playthrough, then Time attack then play through the game at least four times to have enough stamina to climb the SoW
    Followed by Hard mode, then hard time attack and if your a little mad do the spoiler above again in hard mode.

You certainly get plenty of game for your money.

Oddly, though i played SotC over a hundred times, ive only played Ico maybe five times since having it from original release, its just so good ive never wanted to spoil it.
    Its why i havent touched it on the HD release yet, i plan to shortly of course
  • Deleted user 14 October 2011 17:12:56
    I really like the stamina gameplay mechanism in this. Really does lead to some heart in mouth moments.

Defeated Collosi 3 today. Control are starting to click a bit more now, but not really a fan of pressing Triangle then R1 to grab. I can understand it, it gives you a tactile response back, but when you so used to having it automatically held on to - Uncharted and ico for that matter - it feels clunky, especially having to haul yourself up.

Really like the subtle story telling though, when you re-awake from the second Collosi, you have those shadow men standing around you, just intrigued by your presence there. Alreaady have a few ideas forming what the story is up to :)

ICO/SOTC are perhaps two of the best zelda games that were never made, sort of a true evolution to the roots of zelda.
  • kalel 14 Oct 2011 18:12:09 87,689 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just so you know, Colossi is the plural. Sorry to be that guy.
  • Nexus_6 14 Oct 2011 18:24:06 3,878 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And colossuses can also be used as plural. Amazing what you learn every day eh?
  • Gaol 14 Oct 2011 19:13:25 2,417 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Thing is ICO is probably a genuined 4/5 hours, wheres SotC may say 8 hours on the clock when you're done, but it won't factor in the many many many many many retries you'll have gone through.

Mine says 7 hours after only 10 Colossi. First time through and haven't needed a single retry - just some of them take me ages to work out - it's been easy so far to crouch to recharge health if I get a bit low.
  • Accordi0n 14 Oct 2011 19:21:07 1,075 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How would you do stamina based grip without a button for grip?
    You need to be able to grab and let go on command to preserve stamina, you need to hold a button for that to work. The key to the game, especially early on and in the time trials is knowing when to let go and walk/run/jump, if grab was automatic how would that be possible…

I think jumping on triangle is pretty clever too, unless you're some kind of freak who uses the joint of your thumb instead of the tip like a normal person having jump on triangle is far more comfortable when holding R1.
    Ive never understood the control complaints though.
  • kentmonkey 14 Oct 2011 21:39:33 20,686 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The PS3 version does. As long as you die and keep on playing, even if you reload from the save point, it keeps track of your overall time.

If you die and turn off, then it doesn't.
  • RabidChild 16 Oct 2011 19:11:34 2,292 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Both finished.

I definitely prefer Ico, but SotC grew on me the more I played, until the final colossus which was the single most frustrating experience ever.

I like the bleak ending, though.
  • Feanor 16 Oct 2011 19:27:17 14,166 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ico is more like 6 or 7 hours unless you never, ever get stuck.

I'd never played SotC before yesterday, but I killed the first one easily since I had seen how not to do it on the Giant Bomb Quick Look.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2011 19:29:35
    Accordi0n wrote:
    You need to be able to grab and let go on command to preserve stamina, you need to hold a button for that to work. The key to the game, especially early on and in the time trials is knowing when to let go and walk/run/jump, if grab was automatic how would that be possible…

I think jumping on triangle is pretty clever too, unless you're some kind of freak who uses the joint of your thumb instead of the tip like a normal person having jump on triangle is far more comfortable when holding R1.

I think the controls are excellent once you get used to them. As you said, it's all about timing when to grab and when to walk/stand. I like the physicality of the controls.

They get a lot of stick because they are very different to other games. Personally, after I first played SotC I found it hard to get used to controls in other games. I played Bioshock straight after and felt stangely disconnected from the game.
    I just felt like climbing on the Big Daddies and stabbing them in the head :)
  • el_pollo_diablo 17 Oct 2011 00:21:33 2,084 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got to the final colossus this evening before deciding I'd played enough for one day and giving up. The last but one was a bastard, the last one seems easier so far at least (well, as far as I got).
  • andywilkie35 18 Oct 2011 12:18:26 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played for about an hour and a bit last night and got past the 7th Colossus, love this game so much.

Wish I had mind bleach though - played the game so many times that even after a few years I still know where they all are and how to climb them etc, so I don't have the "Holy fuck!" reaction that newcomers will have :(

Still epic. Unbelievably good soundtrack too.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• JBlokeUK 18 Oct 2011 12:54:29 2,309 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fuck it, I should go out and buy this tomorrow. Especially as I never played either of them on PS2.

I like it when he's angry.

• Deleted user 18 October 2011 13:34:32
    Accordi0n wrote:

that makes so much more sense now, i spent some time with it, And for the most part ,i understand the controls more, and used to the system.

Problem is i am also playing la noure and now i keep twisting the camera round now.

The game is genius, just defeated the dude underground, hiding and jumping on his beard awesome.
  • RabidChild 18 Oct 2011 13:50:44 2,292 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    Got to the final colossus this evening before deciding I'd played enough for one day and giving up. The last but one was a bastard, the last one seems easier so far at least (well, as far as I got).

There's one awkward jump that nearly made me ragequit on the last one. On top of that, towards the end he becomes a wriggly bastard.
  • djronz. 26 Oct 2011 05:29:56 275 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finally finished sotc, took me around 10 hours all in, got really stuck on a few collossi but never got bored of finding out how to beat them.
    The last collossus was a bit of a dissapointment tbh, seemed out of character with the rest but the ending was epic, even if i cant make much sense of it!

Just started ico, cant remember any of the puzzles from my ps2 playthrough so its like a new game, fantastic!
  • djronz. 31 Oct 2011 13:39:29 275 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finished ico this morning, about 7 1/2 hours, sublime stuff but ending seemd different to what i remembered on ps2? Will play through again if i ever get a 3dtv!
  • Eregol 31 Oct 2011 13:45:53 31 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Clocked Ico in 4 and a half hours. My PS2 playthoughs probably helped in that.
    feel I could get under the 4 hour mark, but I definitely couldn't get under 2 hours for the trophy.
  • Feanor 31 Oct 2011 15:06:39 14,166 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The 2 hour limit really requires you to use a youtube guide. That's how I did it.
  • Flying_Pig 20 Nov 2011 23:03:27 11,002 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Started SotC this afternoon - never played it before....

Killed 3 colossi - the last one was a bit of a bugger as I kept falling off! Really great so far - it has a familiar, yet different, feel to Ico, and I like that the focus (so far) is on killing each colossus, rather than having to fight your way to it, like some kind of end-of-level boss.

Can't decide if I love Argo, or want to send him to the glue factory...

Oh, and is it normal to feel a sense of sadness and shame after killing a colossus?
  • andywilkie35 20 Nov 2011 23:27:09 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Definitely normal mate

You'll love the horse soon, just from it being your only friend in that world

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Flying_Pig 21 Nov 2011 23:16:16 11,002 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Colossus no 4 was super easy! Almost makes it worse when you kill 'em :(

Just been looking through the trophy list and I have 2 questions:
    - It says something about shiny lizards. I've seen a few lizards around, but none of them seem especially shiny - what should I be looking for?
    - Same question but with the fruit.

• chrisno21 22 Nov 2011 08:14:26 1,509 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd ignore those for now. You'll need to play through a few times to get enough stamina for the fruit, and completing the timed challenges will unlock a tool for the tails.

Edited by chrisno21 at 08:17:39 22-11-2011

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• HiddenAway 22 Nov 2011 11:04:32 14,894 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:

- It says something about shiny lizards. I've seen a few lizards around, but none of them seem especially shiny - what should I be looking for?

As chrisno has said, I'd delay getting those trophies until after you complete the game for the first time. The tools you get to help you will give you a fighting chance.

If you still want to look for a few of each to get a slight advantage against other colossi, then lizards can mainly be found crawling around save points, while fruit grows on certain trees.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Flying_Pig 22 Nov 2011 14:52:12 11,002 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:

As chrisno has said, I'd delay getting those trophies until after you complete the game for the first time. The tools you get to help you will give you a fighting chance.

If you still want to look for a few of each to get a slight advantage against other colossi, then lizards can mainly be found crawling around save points, while fruit grows on certain trees.
    Thanks - not so concerned about the Trophies themselves, just wondered if I was missing something. Will keep my eyes peeled :)
  • Deleted user 22 November 2011 21:58:12
    Just finished Ico for the first time last night. On reflection, im finding it extremely difficult to articulate how i feel about it. Sure, its of fairly simple design and some of the mechanics are dated. but for me, it transcended being just a videogame. It developed into a deep emotional experience.

I thought the entire end sequence was wonderfully orchestrated, as it builded up towards that poignant moment of seperation. Very beautiful and very moving.

And the main ICO theme is the most exquisite thing i have ever heard in a computer game. Just lovely. I need it!
  • Page

of 35 First / Last