FUCK YOU IKEA YOU FUCKER! Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Pike 25 May 2010 15:03:39 13,447 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Disposable furniture isn't exactly environmentally friendly is it?

Who the fuck cares, besides delusional hippies?
  • JuanKerr 25 May 2010 15:04:12 36,280 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Disposable furniture isn't exactly environmentally friendly is it?

Who the fuck cares, besides delusional hippies?

That's the spirit.
  • Goban 25 May 2010 15:04:19 9,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Goban wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    The expensive stuff in IKEA is good, the cheap stuff, not so good. All IKEA is really good for is kids stuff and those smallhouseholdy things the missus likes to buy: ornaments and whatnot.
    Oddly enough the expensive stuff looks like shit though.
    That's just taste though.

Those two-step wooden footstalls are great.
    In other words, you like ugly shit.
  • Alastair 25 May 2010 15:05:34 15,882 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    In other words, you like ugly practical shit.

potentially fixed
  • Razz 25 May 2010 15:06:05 61,278 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah but its the name you're paying for. ;cD

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• boo 25 May 2010 15:07:18 11,794 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    *cough*buyallyourfurnitureatJohnLewis*cough*

Just Another Lego Blog

• smoothpete 25 May 2010 15:07:24 31,534 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    these are good. I've got a white version of this in my games room

I personally would not put the safety of my precious precious TV in the hands of an IKEA flat pack.
    It's solid as all fuck, believe me. I can't move the bastard
  • chopsen 25 May 2010 15:08:12 16,087 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    Personally I think IKEA is great, and I even like going there to shop.

You, sir, are a deviant.

Ikea shops seem specifically designed to stress people out and cause couples to argue. The selling of furniture is just a cover for doing Satan's work in spreading hatred and conflict.
  • speedofthepuma 25 May 2010 15:11:08 13,293 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sure I've posted this before, but my wife and I have only had 3 arguments, and all of them were while in Ikea.

The last time we both burst out laughing when we realised it had happened again.

Miserable shitholes they are.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Goban 25 May 2010 15:11:13 9,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I Haven't been to Ikea in over 6 years, bet it hasn't changed much in that time.
  • President_Weasel 25 May 2010 15:11:19 9,379 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Side topic, but I personally think the shift towards “disposable furniture” these days is a bit sad.

I’m not really an antiques man myself, but I do appreciate the craft and care that used to go into these things, and when you consider that there are tables, chairs, beds and such that were so well made they have survived for literally hundreds of years, it’s a bit lame that these days we consider an IKEA bed going for 5-10 years to be acceptable.

It’s all the same stuff too. Even if you go upmarket a bit to Habitat or Heals, the quality is better but there’s still no character to it.

Of course you can still get crafted quality stuff, but nobody really does anymore. The norm now is cookie cutter MDF crap.

these guys make beds out of actual wood, using hands and tools and suchlike. It's not all mdf tat these days, you just need to know where to look.
  • Tricky 25 May 2010 15:12:48 4,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I ended up with this, in an attempt to get everything off the floor and shut away from the prospect of jam sandwiches in the future. It was the only one I could find that would fit the small alcove the TV resides in. It's not bad, would've preferred a proper wooden stand, but I'd've paid 5 times the price.

I got something similar from Ikea a couple of years ago except it's a corner unit, IS made out of wood and cost me only £70. The prime reason for its purchase was because it actually had 6 compartments which I need for all the boxes under the TV - Sky Box, 360, PS3, Wii, 5.1 amp and (at the time) my old Xbox (which I used for XBMC until the PS3 firmware got upgraded enough that I could do all my media watching through that instead). The sixth spot now has one of those litte wicker baskets from Ikea and I keep all my pads in it. :-)

You try finding something decent with 6 compartments in it that doesn't cost a fortune - it's a bloody nightmare! So I was actually amazed when Ikea had something that was just right and so cheap.

It's the same as any other place really - you can find some good stuff in there that doesn't cost a fortune, but you don't half have to wade through a tonne of shite to get there.
  • kalel 25 May 2010 15:13:51 87,910 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Side topic, but I personally think the shift towards “disposable furniture” these days is a bit sad.

I’m not really an antiques man myself, but I do appreciate the craft and care that used to go into these things, and when you consider that there are tables, chairs, beds and such that were so well made they have survived for literally hundreds of years, it’s a bit lame that these days we consider an IKEA bed going for 5-10 years to be acceptable.

It’s all the same stuff too. Even if you go upmarket a bit to Habitat or Heals, the quality is better but there’s still no character to it.

Of course you can still get crafted quality stuff, but nobody really does anymore. The norm now is cookie cutter MDF crap.

these guys make beds out of actual wood, using hands and tools and suchlike. It's not all mdf tat these days, you just need to know where to look.

Heh, I do know where to look. We got most of our furniture there when we bought our first house :)
  • Pike 25 May 2010 15:14:55 13,447 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Pike wrote:
    Personally I think IKEA is great, and I even like going there to shop.

You, sir, are a deviant.

Ikea shops seem specifically designed to stress people out and cause couples to argue. The selling of furniture is just a cover for doing Satan's work in spreading hatred and conflict.

Only the weak get stressed out at IKEA.

Come to think about it, maybe the design of IKEA stores is a residual effect of Ingvar Kamprads dubious political past. A secondary design feature, besides selling furniture, is to cull out the weak.
  • kalel 25 May 2010 15:16:34 87,910 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There was actually a shooting at my local IKEA's original opening. That's how stressful they can be.

Link (although the shooting isn't mentioned)
  • Deleted user 25 May 2010 15:19:23
    President Weasel wrote:
    We got our lad a Warren Evans bed and I'm not 100% convinced by the slates, or the skill of the assemblers who badly screwed them on.
  • Zidargh 25 May 2010 15:19:42 1,675 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What?
  • Deleted user 25 May 2010 15:20:58
    kalel wrote:
    There was actually a shooting at my local IKEA's original opening. That's how stressful they can be.

Link (although the shooting isn't mentioned)
    I've been to that one a couple of times, because stock isn't even remotely logical across stores. It's in an industrial estate is a fairly rough area isn't it?

Oddly I've always found the staff in the Wembley one really helpful (shame about the punters though).
  • speedofthepuma 25 May 2010 15:23:31 13,293 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How the hell do you write a journalisitic piece about a store opening and miss out the fact there was a shooting?

• kalel 25 May 2010 15:26:04 87,910 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    How the hell do you write a journalisitic piece about a store opening and miss out the fact there was a shooting?

The shooting wasn't on the site itself, but it was the result of a fight that started in there and continued round the corner.
  • LionheartDJH 25 May 2010 15:26:56 19,486 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    The expensive stuff in life is good, the cheap stuff, not so good.

Fixed :)

She dives for cheese pasties

• smoothpete 25 May 2010 15:28:49 31,534 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ikea would be a fucking great location for a big movie or game shoot out
  • speedofthepuma 25 May 2010 15:32:36 13,293 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    How the hell do you write a journalistic piece about a store opening and miss out the fact there was a shooting?

The shooting wasn't on the site itself, but it was the result of a fight that started in there and continued round the corner.

Still arguably within the realms of investigation by a national reporter?

• dunts 25 May 2010 15:36:08 4,211 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:

Or a fire.
  • spindizzy 26 May 2010 08:00:03 6,532 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    Personally I think IKEA is great, and I even like going there to shop. Especially the kitchenware section is great. But you have to know what products to stay away from. Anything with movable parts, like cupboards, is usually less than stellar.

And expensive? Where is furniture with decent design cheaper?

Me too. I'm sure that some stuff from IKEA is rubbish, but my flat is full of it (some more than 10 years old) and it's all damn solid. Not the OP of course, but in my experience (going to other people's flats) the people who complain about IKEA stuff being crap are obviously incapable of following simple instructions. For instance, my father who 'helped' me assemble some stuff at their house recently. Oh. Dear. God. ;-)
  • Deleted user 26 May 2010 08:14:44
    I had to drive into London once and help the sister in law, her boyfriend and her dad assemble a futon. They'd actually started drilling holes because "they weren't in the right place" but then found out "none of the other holes are either."

An hours drive and fifteen minutes to fix it O_o
  • otto Moderator 26 May 2010 08:23:06 49,320 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    I'm sure I've posted this before, but my wife and I have only had 3 arguments
    How long have you been married - three minutes?? :o

FWIW I have a guilty love thing for IKEA, not only do I like their furniture, not only do I like shopping there, I even like eating there, I even like putting their furniture together ffs - grown up lego!

When our eldest was a toddler we lived quite close to a big new one, my wife used to take her there two or three times a week as a form of inexpensive and entertaining childcare. Half an hour playing in the plastic balls, half an hour playing on the demonstration kids' furniture, half an hour running around the amusing maze, topped off with köttbullar, chips & chocolate mousse!

She got so attached to it that when we moved to Canada I had to go do a work thing in Montreal and we got stuck in a traffic jam on the motorway going in, right next to a huge IKEA. Our three-year-old could see the big, welcoming blue & yellow sign from her seat and she threw the biggest tantrum of her life because we weren't taking her there. But even a three-year-old screaming EEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEE-KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! in my ear for 45 minutes hasn't extinguished my love for the place.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Tonka 26 May 2010 08:23:20 20,546 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I read an article about a guy who calculated how many ways there were to assemble a billy bookshelf. Most of them would look nothing like a bookshelf (of course) but he found that there were 4 or 5 that would look like they were correct but actually weren't.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Tonka 26 May 2010 08:32:12 20,546 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, I made the most ingenious IKEA mod. I took this and drilled a hole in the bottom.

Through that hole I pulled a lead so that I have electricity inside the cupboard.

Then I put all my mobile chargers, battery chargers, and spare batteries (for cameras and the camcorder) inside it.

That means I always know where I have my chargers and batteries. But best of all it also means I don't have to see the ugly fuckers all the time. And there is always a free plug for me to plug them into. The cupboard is of good build quality too. And cheap (I got the white one)

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• localnotail 26 May 2010 08:32:25 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dunts wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:

Or a fire.

or a flashmob

I like Ikea stuff. It's practical and affordable and nicely designed. You should just remember to use power tools to assemble it. We've got some massive wardrobes and a bed which I bought when I won £1K of vouchers from there a few years back. Survived a house move absolutely fine. My sofas are lovely - comfortable and modular for various uses.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Page

of 5 First / Last