FUCK YOU IKEA YOU FUCKER! Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• smoothpete 25 May 2010 14:30:54 31,599 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm actually my father in law managed to break the spare bed in our house too. I don't believe it was from Ikea though. Perhaps fathers in law are the real enemy here
  • morriss 25 May 2010 14:31:43 71,203 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Expedit bookcases are great, too. Cheap, look ok, and do the job.
  • Zerobob 25 May 2010 14:32:10 1,608 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Fuck you for building shit guest beds that collapse underneath my father in law at 4 in the morning so that I have to get up an rearrange stuff and then feel to embarrassed to go to sleep cause I feel like I skimped out even though I bought the more expensive guest bed and now I have to take that piece of shit to your fucking mega store on a fucking bus and talk to you and NO I DO NOT HAVE THE RECEIPT so how will that turn out I onder.

/feels so much better

Not to mention you had to play 'warehouse monkey' and get the damn thing from the warehouse yourself!

...and now you have to take the broken bed back and do it all again! I feel for you man. This is exactly what's wrong with the world.
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 May 2010 14:32:11 39,471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The bed faught the law and the law won.

/coat.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• silentbob 25 May 2010 14:32:22 29,023 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Hmm actually my father in law managed to break the spare bed in our house too. I don't believe it was from Ikea though. Perhaps fathers in law are the real enemy here
    teh energetic rumpah pumpah!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• smoothpete 25 May 2010 14:33:31 31,599 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    these are good. I've got a white version of this in my games room
  • Tonka 25 May 2010 14:33:39 20,889 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:

Those two-step wooden footstalls are great.

+1 to that too

Your IKEA knowledge is impeccable.

(they were even better before they took about 8cm off the legs)

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• JuanKerr 25 May 2010 14:33:56 36,375 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This man is reading this thread while laughing manically and wiping away his tears with wads of cash.
  • Dougs 25 May 2010 14:34:03 68,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cheeky_Grizzly wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    The culprit

Well that looks like it's asking for trouble to be honest.

Indeed.
  • Tonka 25 May 2010 14:35:46 20,889 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    cheeky_Grizzly wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    The culprit

Well that looks like it's asking for trouble to be honest.

Indeed.

The fact that it had some wooden "ribs" made me think it would be better than their "Röde Orm". Shame on me

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• kalel 25 May 2010 14:37:03 88,524 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:

I personally would not put the safety of my precious precious TV in the hands of an IKEA flat pack.
  • Deleted user 25 May 2010 14:38:26
    Does that bed work out at about £60? I'd shove a futon or sofa bed in a guest room myself so you can use it when its not being used as a bed.

As smoothpete said, Expedits are great. So are the Billys, I have 9 of those in our library.

In our old place we also had an IKEA kitchen (complete with extractor hood), and the build quality on that was the same as something that cost 5 times more than the £1,100 we paid for it.
  • Dougs 25 May 2010 14:38:58 68,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

The fact that it had some wooden "ribs" made me think it would be better than their "Röde Orm". Shame on me

I've lost count of the number of similar put-u-ups that I've ended up folded up in as a kid. The floor was almost always a better option imo.
  • X201 25 May 2010 14:38:58 15,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cheeky_Grizzly wrote:
    I like how Tonka sounds like a piece of Ikea furniture :D

Surely that should be TönkaÅ

• convercide 25 May 2010 14:39:35 6,104 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Magic Panda wrote:
    I have an ikea desk that I have done unspeakable things on

You're a trainee mime artist?

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• catterz 25 May 2010 14:40:07 8,763 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:

I personally would not put the safety of my precious precious TV in the hands of an IKEA flat pack.
    It's the same philosophy I use for fair-ground rides. Anything that transforms into a lorry and fucks off the next day is bad news, with one exception.

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• Deleted user 25 May 2010 14:41:07
    kalel wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:

They're as sturdy as anything. Something the size of that needs two people to move it and comes with all the fittings to screw it to the wall (in fact it comes with fittings to make it a "wall"/room divider).
  • Dougs 25 May 2010 14:42:15 68,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:

I ended up with this, in an attempt to get everything off the floor and shut away from the prospect of jam sandwiches in the future. It was the only one I could find that would fit the small alcove the TV resides in. It's not bad, would've preferred a proper wooden stand, but I'd've paid 5 times the price.
  • boo 25 May 2010 14:42:19 11,865 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Our Ikea bed collapsed in the middle of the night too!
    I thought it was an earthquake, and all our friends assume it was because we were going at it hammer and tongs.

Sadly, it was the early hours of the morning, and was probably down to my porktacular waistline.

Ikea were very good about it, ordered all the replacement bits we needed, even though the bed was about 6 years old, and shipped them to us, free and pronto.

Just Another Lego Blog

• thehat 25 May 2010 14:49:07 1,833 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My living room might as well have 'sponsored by Ikea' stickers all over it, but I've no complaints with the quality of the products. Visiting the store is rarely a cheap experience though :(
  • kalel 25 May 2010 14:51:54 88,524 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The time when you really realise how shit IKEA stuff is, is when you move. It just isn’t high quality enough to handle that kind of thing. Virtually every single piece of IKEA furniture we had fell apart in some way when we moved, usually the laminate coming away to reveal the nasty MDF underneath or something like that.
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 May 2010 14:53:56 35,723 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    IKEA: It's cheap

When did that happen?

Ummmm, always?

Admittedly its been well over a decade since I've been in one of their stores, but I clearly remember how shocked I was at the overpricing of everything. its why I haven't been in one for the best part of twenty years.

Go to a "normal" furniture store and compare prices. IKEA is still very, very, very cheap. And much of the stuff is good designed, while comparably cheap furniture is mostly butt-ugly, overly ornate stuff.

edit:
    kalel is dead on the money of course. Do not move house with IKEA stuff, might as well burn it.
  • Deleted user 25 May 2010 14:56:27
    I was in Heals once, watching a couple pay £12,000 for a Chinese hardwood veneered MDF table. Mind you, I bet that didn't fall to pieces on moving :)

Our Laura Ashley dining room table hasn't been the same since we moved either.

I do get your point though, I've taken some Billys back as the laminate was split on opening the box. Guess I'm lucky we're only a 20 minute drive from the Wembley store and most stuff goes in my car with the seats down.
  • tombo 25 May 2010 14:58:38 2,100 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    This man is reading this thread while laughing manically and wiping away his tears with wads of cash.

Fucking hell - $23bn ?! That is astonishing.
  • kalel 25 May 2010 14:59:26 88,524 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Side topic, but I personally think the shift towards “disposable furniture” these days is a bit sad.

I’m not really an antiques man myself, but I do appreciate the craft and care that used to go into these things, and when you consider that there are tables, chairs, beds and such that were so well made they have survived for literally hundreds of years, it’s a bit lame that these days we consider an IKEA bed going for 5-10 years to be acceptable.

It’s all the same stuff too. Even if you go upmarket a bit to Habitat or Heals, the quality is better but there’s still no character to it.

Of course you can still get crafted quality stuff, but nobody really does anymore. The norm now is cookie cutter MDF crap.
  • Pike 25 May 2010 15:01:51 13,447 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The time when you really realise how shit IKEA stuff is, is when you move. It just isn’t high quality enough to handle that kind of thing. Virtually every single piece of IKEA furniture we had fell apart in some way when we moved, usually the laminate coming away to reveal the nasty MDF underneath or something like that.

One of IKEA's main ideas is disposable furniture. Most of It's not really meant to last. Some things really tend to be good quality that lasts and some of their bookcases, but plenty of stuff has to be bought with the mindset that it will be replaced within a few years.

Personally I think IKEA is great, and I even like going there to shop. Especially the kitchenware section is great. But you have to know what products to stay away from. Anything with movable parts, like cupboards, is usually less than stellar.

And expensive? Where is furniture with decent design cheaper?
  • JuanKerr 25 May 2010 15:02:35 36,375 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I actually like wandering round old antiques shops and picking up the odd bargain. Certainly beats walking around the living nightmare that is IKEA.
  • cianchristopher 25 May 2010 15:02:38 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Where you been, kalel? The entire furniture industry's gay. Yeah, aerospace too. And the railroads! And you know what else? Broadway!
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 May 2010 15:03:09 39,471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Disposable furniture isn't exactly environmentally friendly is it?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Page

of 5 First / Last