PS3 vs dedicated Blu-Ray player Page 3

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• morriss 25 May 2010 15:06:13 71,283 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't get the problem, the 360 does everything the PS3 can streaming wise and has what many consider to be a better selection of games. Get a cheap BD player, job done.

• morriss 25 May 2010 15:06:53 71,283 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's what I've done, anyway.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 25 May 2010 15:08:29 7,781 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can anyone tell me if the 360 can handle streaming media? I am under the impression that it cannot. I have heard nothing to the contrary. Thanks.
  • Deleted user 25 May 2010 15:09:38
    morriss wrote:
    That's what I've done, anyway.

It's sort of what you've done, but how many PS3s have you owned along the way?
  • FooAtari 25 May 2010 15:09:59 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Other than Sky Player the 360 can't stream video from the net can it. So no, as much as like the 360 over the PS3 as a games machine, it can't do everything the PS3 can do.

And a cheap BR player probably isn't as feature rich as the PS3. First problem, many can't be updated meaning they may be somewhat obsolete in the future, or at least not able to support new features.
  • morriss 25 May 2010 15:11:09 71,283 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if the 360 can handle streaming media? I am under the impression that it cannot. I have heard nothing to the contrary. Thanks.
    I've jst told you it can. Plays HD .mkvs and everything else with the PS3 media player software.
  • FooAtari 25 May 2010 15:11:52 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

Streaming from a PC? Yeah it can. Both PS3 and 360 support slightly different formats. And I personally find the PS3 does a better job, but the 360 works very well also. As morris has said, with some transcoding software like PS3 Media Server or TVersity they will both play damn near anything.

But from the interwebs, no the 360 can't. Other than Sky Player of course. Not sure if it allows access to Sky Anytime too.
  • morriss 25 May 2010 15:11:59 71,283 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    Other than Sky Player the 360 can't stream video from the net can it.
    Oh right, my bad. No of course it can't stream from the net. Why would anyone want that. Isn't that what PCs/laptops are for?
  • Jazzy_Geoff 25 May 2010 15:13:15 7,781 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    I've jst told you it can. Plays HD .mkvs and everything else with the PS3 media player software.

lol
  • morriss 25 May 2010 15:15:14 71,283 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Server, not player: http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/
  • FooAtari 25 May 2010 15:15:49 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    FooAtari wrote:
    Oh right, my bad. No of course it can't stream from the net. Why would anyone want that. Isn't that what PCs/laptops are for?

/facepalm...

I guess that depends on your circumstances. Watching TV/Films on my 13" laptop screen is pish, so that's out.
    Personally I don't have my PC hooked up to my TV. I don't mind watching stuff on my 24" monitor if the wife is using the TV, but I'd rather watching TV/Film on my 42" telly if possible.

With the PS3 I can do that, and use it for iPlayer quite frequently.

Seriously morriss that's a weak ass argument. Just say no to being a fanboy. You will feel a whole lot better for it.
  • KayJay 25 May 2010 15:16:21 5,290 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bollock to all this.
    The PS3 does the lot. Get a PS3 and get rid of the 360.
    I would rather have just one machine under my TV.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 25 May 2010 15:16:23 7,781 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just my little joke, old chum. I'll leave you all to it.
  • phAge 25 May 2010 15:16:24 24,412 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    Seriously, unless you are 14 I would be pretty ashamed of what appears to be nothing more than some kind of stupid fanboyism.
    I thought I made it pretty clear in the OP that it IS indeed "some kind of stupid fanboyism"?

I don't like Sony, and I certainly don't like the Playstation. I won't start cheering for my footie teams' bitter rivals, even if they DO play a grand game of soccer either. Stupid as that may be.
  • RyanDS 25 May 2010 15:18:49 9,738 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jesus, I just noticed the "throw the 'pads away" comment.

phAge, are you 13? Seriously, that is the most childish thing i have heard all day.
  • morriss 25 May 2010 15:19:40 71,283 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    FooAtari wrote:

/facepalm...

I guess that depends on your circumstances. Watching TV/Films on my 13" laptop screen is pish, so that's out.
    Personally I don't have my PC hooked up to my TV. I don't mind watching stuff on my 24" monitor if the wife is using the TV, but I'd rather watching TV/Film on my 42" telly if possible.

With the PS3 I can do that, and use it for iPlayer quite frequently.

Seriously morriss that's a weak ass argument. Just say no to being a fanboy. You will feel a whole lot better for it.
    lol

You're so easy.
  • Deleted user 25 May 2010 15:19:57
    phAge wrote:
    FooAtari wrote:
    Seriously, unless you are 14 I would be pretty ashamed of what appears to be nothing more than some kind of stupid fanboyism.
    I thought I made it pretty clear in the OP that it IS indeed "some kind of stupid fanboyism"?

I don't like Sony, and I certainly don't like the Playstation. I won't start cheering for my footie teams' bitter rivals, even if they DO play a grand game of soccer either. Stupid as that may be.

I don't think stupid fanboyism is the right term in this case, more like severe mental retardation.
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 May 2010 15:20:06 39,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have deep seeded hatred for apple and apple products, yet I have an iphone. Sometimes you just have to conceed these things.

When some Sony fanboy asks how great your PS3 is tell them it's shit. It's what I do with the iphone. :p

They get slightly confused.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• morriss 25 May 2010 15:20:34 71,283 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    FooAtari wrote:

Especially if their rivals were shit in comparison.
  • phAge 25 May 2010 15:20:50 24,412 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    Jesus, I just noticed the "throw the 'pads away" comment.

phAge, are you 13? Seriously, that is the most childish thing i have heard all day.
    Nope, I'm 29.

Anyway, can we not do this here (also, morriss behave!) - I was actually getting some decent info on which to base my buying decision?
  • morriss 25 May 2010 15:21:19 71,283 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I have deep seeded hatred for apple and apple products, yet I have an iphone. Sometimes you just have to conceed these things.

When some Sony fanboy asks how great your PS3 is tell it's shit. It's what I do with the iphone. :p

Get a Desire, it's better and you're not giving your money to cunts.
  • FooAtari 25 May 2010 15:21:54 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    phAge wrote:

You did make it clear, I just couldn't quite believe my eyes.

Not quite the same thing is it, compareing a football team to electronics.

Supporting one team over another isn't doing yourself out of a decent piece of hardware that is ideal for what you want. I tend to prefer some brands of the other. But never limit myself. Whenever I need a new TV, PC, Laptop or whatever I look at what is best is at the time. And if that comes from a brand I usually wouldn't choose because of bad previous experience or whatever, so be it. I'll still buy it as I want the best hardware for my money. And that's what it comes down to, getting the best hardware in my budget. Not the best limited to what badge is on the front. That's just shooting yourself in the foot.

Please yourself, but the only person losing out here is you.
  • morriss 25 May 2010 15:22:42 71,283 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sorry, phAge, I'll stop now. :)
  • Retroid Moderator 25 May 2010 15:23:17 45,278 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bluray players can't play Flower, Super Stardust HD, Uncharted 2 or Pixeljunk Shooter.
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 May 2010 15:23:22 39,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

When some Sony fanboy asks how great your PS3 is tell it's shit. It's what I do with the iphone. :p

Get a Desire, it's better and you're not giving your money to cunts.

Upgrade not due till Nov, by then the world will be my oyster, N8, Win 7 mo, new iphone, Froyo.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• FooAtari 25 May 2010 15:24:00 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    lol

You're so easy.

That would be fair game if I though you were actually taking the piss, but previous form suggests otherwise.

Whatever, I don't think there is much else I can add to this thread :)
  • RyanDS 25 May 2010 15:24:09 9,738 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    Bluray players can't play Flower, Super Stardust HD, Uncharted 2 or Pixeljunk Shooter.

Or watch iPlayer, Youtube and surf the net.
  • morriss 25 May 2010 15:26:22 71,283 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    lol

You're so easy.

That would be fair game if I though you were actually taking the piss, but previous form suggests otherwise.

So my previous form wasn't also taking the piss?

Flower and SSHD and Pixel Junk are all meh, imo.

Uncharted 2 I'd like to play, though. Oh well, I'll live.
  • morriss 25 May 2010 15:26:56 71,283 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    Retroid wrote:

Or watch iPlayer, Youtube and surf the net.
    lol. He lives in DENMARK. No iPlayer.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last