Emigration

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous
  • speedofthepuma 23 May 2010 20:00:29 13,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi everyone.

I am a GP in Essex. I have kept this fairly quiet although I like to thing where necessary I may have stepped in and helped some people.

I have become very disillusioned by the UK in the last few years, and I am thinking about emigrating to Australia, Adelaide in particular.

I have 2 children: a 4 year old boy and a 16 month old girl. I hope that they will have a better future abroad.

I'm not sure why I am posting here, except that this site has become a very familiar place for me in the last 5 years,and I recognise it as a place which houses a lot of intelligent, sophisticated people. I think therefore it would be odd to consider such a move without tapping this resource for opinion and information. Even if I get nothing but beta-tards shouting FHUTA! I've lost nothing.

I guess I'd be grateful for all informed thoughts; people who have emigrated, people who think I'm mad to abandon this amazing country, people who know the ramifications of such a life-altering decision, people who think I really need to FHUTA, I welcome it all.

Sunday afternoon, here I come. No-one will comment about the biggest thing in my life ever.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• FWB 23 May 2010 20:01:45 45,613 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Leave. Best think you can do. Best thing I've done (although I have returned to the UK). But don't bother with Australia. It's shit.

Not that I've ever been there.
  • Deleted user 23 May 2010 20:03:54
    I haven't emigrated, yet, but if you're going to do it then I would think your children are about the right age for you to go for it. Any older and it would probably feel like a massive change instead of a big and exciting change.

Oddly, the only two things putting me off doing it atm is working out how to get my TV out there and that I have tickets for Wilco in London in September :p
  • Red-Moose 23 May 2010 20:17:34 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Disillusioned with the UK professionally or disillusioned with the social changes that you may be experiencing in Essex? If its professionally, you don't want to end up in a position where the same problems happen wherever you move to.

Also, don't forget that your training is recognised all over the EU/EEA, and Singapore may be another option (English is the first language), or Canada. If you have another language, there are a lot of other options not so far away. The thing that puts me off Aus/NZ is that it is so isolated from the places I like and things to do. Most people I know in your area who have gone down under are pretty happy, but it depends on what you like personally as well.

The major downside of Australia seems to be the massive cost of video games, and also that any I have met here spend their time complaining about how much better things are in Australia.
  • Deleted user 23 May 2010 20:27:28
    You might want to consider your extended family (parent, sibling etc.) if you move to Australia and are close to them.

Otherwise you should carefully research the country you are interested in moving to which I'm sure you will do or have done. The worst thing people can do when emigrating is to expect a job when they step off the plane (though I doubt that would be an issue in your case regardless). Climate is also an issue as Britain/Ireland has a very mild climate and we tend to complain bitterly about anything resembling heat/cold.
  • lost_soul 23 May 2010 20:57:41 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had a strong desire to move over to Australia a few years back, but eventually decided against it.

The main factors that changed my mind were: the distance - it really is a long way from anywhere else, even a trip to NZ requires a 4-5 hour flight; it can be bloody hot and the only way I found to deal with it was to head to the mountains of Tasmania for a couple of weeks; it's a long way from family, which might be desirable for some people, but for most, it's going to be an issue.

As for emigration in general, I've done it 3 times now - once to Australia (though that was just a one year working holiday thing) and twice to mainland Europe - and it's hard work. I found that emotionally I was all over the place for up to a year after moving and this seems to be a fairly common reaction, according to other ex pats I've spoken to over the years.
  • speedofthepuma 23 May 2010 21:10:34 13,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    An informed and measured, useful response. I should have known.

I am disillusioned both on a professional and personal level. I think (perhaps wrongly) this country seems to be declining. I suspect my feelings are perpetrated by the media, but that still adds up to a problem; I think the media in this country is the greatest problem, and the most powerful force.

We have discussed it with family and I'm proud to say my parents are sad but supportive, my wife's - not so much.

The biggest gamble for me is that I have an established career in this country, and will be essentially starting from scratch over there. I relish the challenge but it remains a gamble I am uncomfortable with when my children are so dependent on the outcome. However, it seems the future is so uncertain here it seems less of a jump.

• Dirtbox 23 May 2010 21:11:52 79,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm currently in the process of upping sticks and moving to the US, it's not so much because I don't like the UK, I do, it's more that there's more money, freedom to pursue interests, better quality of living and so on. Finding a place to live has proven to be the biggest hurdle so far as I simply don't have the time. You can put a large degree of the chore in the hands of an agency, but it's slow. I am quite picky though.

I think in many cases there is a grass is greener aspect, so know where you're headed. If possible speak to people in the area you'll be moving to and arm yourself with as much information as you can regarding schools, amenities, health care, available work, basically everything that matters to you and your family both now and in the future.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• speedofthepuma 23 May 2010 21:18:13 13,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interesting DB, we looked at the US but there isn't the demand for my profession, and there are more hurdles to jump.

All things being equal we might have gone for it but would be concerned it didn't necessarily offer the safety our family were after.

May I ask where you're looking at?

• Pirotic Moderator 23 May 2010 21:23:50 20,647 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I notice you say 'I' a lot, but it sounds like you are married. How does your wife feel about it? I'd have thought being stuck at home with 2 young kids without knowing anybody or having any family to help out is a bit shit.
  • speedofthepuma 23 May 2010 21:33:24 13,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Piro, actually it was my wife's idea originally, she was originally the driving force. Don't read too much into language here. She's sat next to me reading all the responses with great interest.

Without being smug, I think our nuclear family is out greatest strength, we are very close and self-reliant; a quality I hope means we are transplantable.

• Dirtbox 23 May 2010 21:34:58 79,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    Interesting DB, we looked at the US but there isn't the demand for my profession, and there are more hurdles to jump.

All things being equal we might have gone for it but would be concerned it didn't necessarily offer the safety our family were after.

May I ask where you're looking at?
    Bay area, I've got work lined up there doing CGI stuff and I get a green card by marrying my girlfriend who's got dual nationality with the US and Japan so I've got far fewer hurdles than most and I'm jumping on the opportunity while I can.

• Pirotic Moderator 23 May 2010 21:35:31 20,647 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    that's cool then, if you both want to - why not go for it! sounds fun, worst comes to worst you can always return with a new found appreciation for the UK.
  • Dirtbox 23 May 2010 21:36:41 79,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you have the means and the opportunity, I say do it.

The way I see it, you can always come back.

• Ged42 23 May 2010 21:42:46 7,807 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do you know anyone who is already out there, either Aussie or Pommie?

I've got an auntie in NZ and a cousin in Australia so I know there would always be a welcoming door there for me if things went pear shaped.

As for a job, being a GP I'd imagine it being pretty easy to get a new job over there, but it might be worth contacting a few practises or hospitals to see if they've got any vacancies or trawling through Aussie job sites.

Though the move will be hardest on your daughter, since she'll be losing all her friends and have to start in a new school or college and make an entire new life. It would be best to sit down and talk to her about it, she might be all for the idea of a new start or may hate it. In which case it might be worth waiting until she's left home before heading to the other side of the world.

I'd love to emigrate to either NZ or Canada (Aus is too hot for me) but I know I couldn't drag my wife on a plane, let alone another country. It would also be unfair to force my stepson away from his friends and extended family.
  • speedofthepuma 23 May 2010 21:43:18 13,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks guys, I think Piro's hit it on the head.

It would be a huge step back, but perhaps worth it because I don't think I can live with the "what ifs".

Sitting here tonight we have decided we can't spend the rest of our lives in Essex (cue this all falling down and me looking like a ridiculous drama-queen)

• Dirtbox 23 May 2010 21:45:42 79,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    To be fair, Essex is not where I'd want to spend an afternoon, let alone a life.

• Load_2.0 23 May 2010 21:45:47 19,670 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't comment on moving from the UK to Aus, because I did the opposite, well NZ and Aus. Plus I don't have any family.

Any reason for Adelaide? Its nice but a bit removed from the rest of the country.

Brisbane would be my first choice going from the UK OZ.
  • speedofthepuma 23 May 2010 21:46:03 13,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DB:It's nice in my house, I promise.

@Load$: Climate, lack of deadly stuff, also sub-urban city with cheapest quality of life made us choose Adelaide.

• Dirtbox 23 May 2010 21:48:20 79,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I know some parts of Essex are. There are far nicer places all over the UK, I seriously considered moving to Cornwall instead of Bristol, but I knew I'd get too comfortable.

• PazJohnMitch 23 May 2010 21:48:29 8,729 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would leave and go to Hong Kong or Singapore. Sadly there is little demand for my profession there. Lots of demand in China but I struggle to live there for more than 3 months at a time.
  • Ged42 23 May 2010 21:52:09 7,807 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Would it be worth renting a holiday apartment in Adelaide or Brisbane for a month or two over the summer holiday, maybe getting some short term work or something.

Just a kind of tester, too see how you and your family like it?
  • Carlo 23 May 2010 21:52:29 18,226 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My brother moved to Australia (Sydney unfortunately). He loved it, but moved with an Australian he met in the UK.

He missus the UK quite a bit, but I think he's getting over it. If you have questions I can ask him, but between me and you, I think she done most of the paperwork and 'difficult bits' tbfh.

Just remember, Australia does a VERY good PR job on how live in Australia is, and it's not all sunshine an lollypops. It's green grass over there, but not THAT green.

PSN ID: Djini

• Dirtbox 23 May 2010 21:56:00 79,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ged42 wrote:
    Would it be worth renting a holiday apartment in Adelaide or Brisbane for a month or two over the summer holiday, maybe getting some short term work or something.

Just a kind of tester, too see how you and your family like it?
    This is a pretty good suggestion actually. I discovered I didn't want to move to New York by doing this, although I was staying with friends. It's not so easy with kids though. If anything emigrating is something you do before you start a family. You're right on the cusp of it being too late already so whatever you choose, mind you're doing it for the right reason because it's life changing in the most fundamental way and you will be quite literally starting over.

Your only consideration should be about your kids imo. Not that you need me to tell you that.

• Aurifex. 23 May 2010 22:32:39 1,030 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Games can cost $120 some times with the average $110. It's a right rip off. And no R18 by the way as of yet.
  • FWB 23 May 2010 22:36:36 45,613 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Go to S.America.
  • JuanKerr 23 May 2010 23:00:34 36,445 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I spent the first 20 years of my life in Essex and loved it. People seem to forget that there's more to it than Romford and Harlow. But hey, ignorance is bliss, eh?
  • JuanKerr 23 May 2010 23:04:07 36,445 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for that.

puma - what makes you think that Australia offers better opportunities for you and your family? I'm not saying you're wrong or right, just interested in what brought you to that conclusion.
  • otto Moderator 23 May 2010 23:06:01 49,335 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good luck Puma, I hope you find what you're looking for. I can understand the desire to emigrate but as an ex-emigré I tend to think that you can be happy or sad anywhere, it's not the place, it's you. I don't mean that as a criticism, I'm just saying that a move to the other side of the world might not be the miracle solution you're hoping for.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous