BBQ Tips & Advice Page 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• mattigan 22 May 2010 19:09:12 1,429 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For marinading chicken try:

Crushed garlic, Olive oil & Tomato puree (nice and cheap)

or

Honey, Lime and fresh chopped Chilli (nice and sweet with a delayed action burn)
  • RedSparrows 23 May 2010 01:24:26 23,298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Make loads of salad. Honestly, I love veggie BBQs, because salad is king.

I said it, and you all know it's true, you scaredy cat men, afraid of your own FEELINGS.

It's also because barbecued veggie sausages suck. Only a few types of burger work.
  • afghan_jones 23 May 2010 07:55:08 3,041 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I forgot you were a veggie sparrows, probly cause you always seemed like the type of guy who enjoys a good mouthful of meat...
  • StaticKing 23 May 2010 08:24:31 300 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I found an Aussie BBQ cook at my parent's house, written by a self-styled BBQ-King.
    Anyway, his top tip was to dampen the coals, which I'd never heard of before.
    Basically, just before you're ready to put the meat on, you spray a fine mist of water over the coals. This regulates the heat, and prevents the typically British cremated-on-the-outside-raw-in-the-middle effect.

+1 for mattigan's marinades, I did a similar chilli one couple of weeks back - delicious and cheaper than buying the ready-marinated packs from the supermarket
  • otto Moderator 10 Jun 2010 20:08:38 49,320 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I made this bbq sauce the other week, the key ingredient is a can of coke, yum! Use half of it as a marinade and brush the other half on the meat while you grill it.

My other two top tips:

1 - precook your meat/chicken in the oven on a slow heat so you can finish it off on the barbecue without leaving it raw inside

2 - wait until the coals are all covered in a coat of white ash, and then wait a bit more before putting the food on, it's always tempting to stick the food on too soon. Usually takes my bbq about an hour before it's ready to use.

To be honest, barbecuing is a pain, it's really hard to get just right. :(

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• localnotail 11 Jun 2010 10:00:59 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was at a handfasting last week on the South Downs and the truly epic BBQ caused a full on cattle stampede. It was like RDR, made me want to get a horse and save them from the ravine. While eating huge charred lumps of tasty flesh.

iokthemonkey wrote:
    Bananas, split open, chocolate drops inside, wrap in foil, throw in fire, make jokes about robot willies, eat.

:D

has anyone tried these bbq planks ?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• boo 11 Jun 2010 10:13:56 11,834 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    2 - wait until the coals are all covered in a coat of white ash, and then wait a bit more before putting the food on, it's always tempting to stick the food on too soon. Usually takes my bbq about an hour before it's ready to use.

This.

Took ages to twig this. I'd get the charcoal ready in the aforementioned chimney (if you have a Weber kettle bbq, you have to get one), then as soon as they were ready, I'd spread the charcoal out, whack the food on and then watch as my burgers, sausages etc developed the sort of rock-hard outer shell that I could have sold to NASA as heat shielding for the Space Shuttle.

Spread the charcoal, then chill out for 20 mins before putting any food on.

Will be trying StaticKing's water mist tip next time - sound interesting.

/serves steamed sausages

Just Another Lego Blog

• VooDooChilly 11 Jun 2010 10:56:33 15 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Get some nice steak chop it in thin strips then leave overnight to marinade in soy sauce, fish sauce, chopped coriander and crushed garlic over night. Then next day put the steak strips on skewers in an S-shape then stick over BBQ for bout 2-3 mins = lush!

Also simple but tasy salad dressing, 5 tbsp olive oil, 2-3 tbsp white wine vinegar, 1 clove crushed garlic, 3 tbsp mixed herbs, salt + pepper. Stick in a jar and give a good shake before serving.

Now the not so fun bit anybody have any tips for cleaning the BBQ grill afterwards without spending hours with a wire brush? :)
  • Deleted user 11 June 2010 11:17:19
    Burn it off with more bbqs.
  • nickthegun 11 Jun 2010 11:19:04 60,452 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Reggae Reggae sauce. Put it on everything, even the bananas that every fucker cooks but no one really enjoys.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• boo 11 Jun 2010 11:23:50 11,834 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    VooDooChilly wrote:
    Now the not so fun bit anybody have any tips for cleaning the BBQ grill afterwards without spending hours with a wire brush? :)

Depends on the shape of your wire rack. If it'll fit in the plastic bag supplied, this stuff is astonishing.

I use it on our oven shelves, and when I read the packet, it was one of those 'If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.'

But by God does that stuff work! I dread to think what noxious chemicals are in there, but basically it comes with a big ziplock plasic bag, some blue plastic gloves* and a bottle of liquid gel.

Fill the bag with oven racks etc, pour in the gloop, seal the bag, turn it over a few times to move the gel about and then leave it for 12 hours.

The shelves come out like new.

Sadly, our BBQ rack is round, and is just too big for the bag. I've toyed with the idea of putting it in a tough black rubbish bag, but I'm terrified it'll just eat through the bag and melt a big hole in our patio.

*Be careful when getting the shelves back out of the back - get the gloop on your skin - rashes ahoy!

Edit - ignore the thing on the link about 'only being available by courier' - Waitrose sell it.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Tonka 11 Jun 2010 11:57:49 20,793 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stir some Mango Chutney with double cream and serve as a condiment for everything barbecued.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Hypercube 11 Jun 2010 12:18:04 976 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck, I need a garden so I too can have bbq. Living in a tiny flat sucks in the summer :(
  • mrpon 11 Jun 2010 12:20:33 29,190 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Hypercube 11 Jun 2010 12:26:53 976 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    :)

A possible compromise, but still nowhere near sitting on a nice lawn, with the sky overhead.

I've got some powerful strong urges for both bbq and for some gardening, so I think it's time I bought somewhere with a bit of outdoors attached!
  • mrpon 11 Jun 2010 12:34:48 29,190 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh completely agree, I love a bit of outdoor BBQing.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• PatrickEwing 11 Jun 2010 12:41:16 2,146 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pork loin, marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary and chilli's and baste it whilst cooking. it's cheap and good.
  • Tonka 11 Jun 2010 12:50:16 20,793 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My main trick would be to keep the marinade simple. I used to chuck everything I had in the spicerack in there. Now I try to limit myself to 3 flavours.

Basics of Marinade
    Oil (Olive most of the time. add a dash of walnut/peanut/sesame for variation)
    Something sweet (honey, sugar, brown sugar, cane sugar)
    Something acidic (vinegar in various forms, some berries, citrus fruit)

Things that tenderizes meat
    Coca Cola
    Fresh pineapple
    Fresh kiwi

Perfect time to put the meat on the grill
    5 minutes after you have finnished barbecuing. Seriously. I always always alwaaays put the meat on too early.

• Alastair 11 Jun 2010 13:24:38 16,051 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Something sour (vinegar in various forms, some berries, citrus fruit)

Pretty sure they are all acidic rather than sour. The mix of acid and oil is what works in a marinade I think.
  • Tonka 11 Jun 2010 13:31:16 20,793 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry, my bad. You are absolutely right. My only excuse is that we use the same word for sour and acidic in Swedish. I'll edit my earlier post.

• gamingdave 11 Jun 2010 13:39:52 4,246 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tip for geting it going I learned off the father in law. Instead of fire lighteres, kindling, fluids, or newspaper the simplest way to get a good BBQ going is as follows.

Heap all the charcoal to one side.
    Grab the hot air gun (the things you use for stipping paint, long flat nozzled works best)
    Switch on and wedge into coals.
    Periodically move round.

Works an absolute treat, the combination of heat and air gets the charcoal going really quickly. No fuss evenly burnt charcoal in a fraction of the time, and unlike a lot of other methods, adds nothing that could taint the flavour.

Talking of flavour, tip is bay leaves on the coals when cooking chops.

I tend to look up to the father in laws BBQ skills, as he is Greek Cypriot and therefore can and does BBQ whenever the weathers good, and everything he cooks on it tastes sublime.
  • Alastair 11 Jun 2010 14:14:53 16,051 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    I tend to look up to the father in laws BBQ skills, as he is Greek Cypriot and therefore can and does BBQ whenever the weathers good, and everything he cooks on it tastes sublime.

Does he have a recipe/marinade to replicate the flavour of lamb donner?
    I love the taste but appreciate the dodginess of the meat and the fat and salt content of the average high st donner.
    Tried a marinade during the week with olive oil, lemon juice and zest, crushed bay leaf, oregano, garlic, bit of grated onion and pepper. It was OK, but not brilliant.
  • sport 11 Jun 2010 14:18:14 12,775 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A BBQ without a flame is like Turner without Hooch, like Tango without Cash, like EG without disc...
  • thehat 11 Jun 2010 14:31:21 1,833 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    boo wrote:
    VooDooChilly wrote:

Depends on the shape of your wire rack. If it'll fit in the plastic bag supplied, this stuff is astonishing.

I use it on our oven shelves, and when I read the packet, it was one of those 'If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.'

But by God does that stuff work! I dread to think what noxious chemicals are in there, but basically it comes with a big ziplock plasic bag, some blue plastic gloves* and a bottle of liquid gel.

Fill the bag with oven racks etc, pour in the gloop, seal the bag, turn it over a few times to move the gel about and then leave it for 12 hours.

The shelves come out like new.

Sadly, our BBQ rack is round, and is just too big for the bag. I've toyed with the idea of putting it in a tough black rubbish bag, but I'm terrified it'll just eat through the bag and melt a big hole in our patio.

*Be careful when getting the shelves back out of the back - get the gloop on your skin - rashes ahoy!

Edit - ignore the thing on the link about 'only being available by courier' - Waitrose sell it.
    Massive +1 for this, it cleaned year old burnt on stuff from my bbq plates that I couldn't remove with a wire brush.

It's also available in some larger tesco and sainsbury's.
  • ronuds 11 Jun 2010 14:34:26 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I find that there's little that can top kosher salt and pepper for meat flavour. Sometimes when you marinade it overpowers the taste of the meat. My wife likes to use red wine as a base for some marinades, but then I taste wine more than I do mah steak!
  • gamingdave 11 Jun 2010 14:36:51 4,246 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    gamingdave wrote:

Does he have a recipe/marinade to replicate the flavour of lamb donner?
    I love the taste but appreciate the dodginess of the meat and the fat and salt content of the average high st donner.
    Tried a marinade during the week with olive oil, lemon juice and zest, crushed bay leaf, oregano, garlic, bit of grated onion and pepper. It was OK, but not brilliant.

haha, no lamb doner flavour. Olive oil, lemon, salt is prett much all he uses, and all chops need. Goes without saying garlic aswell. I find too much in a marinade is a bit of a waste. Good meat, cooked well needs little dressing.
  • Alastair 11 Jun 2010 14:38:32 16,051 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll keep trying..but I think you're right. Olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper is pretty much all it needs.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2010 14:48:41
    Got some diced steak in the fridge that needs cooking, may have a BBQ to myself tonight.

Any recommendations as to how to cook it?
  • Page

of 7 First / Last